If someone says they have a success rate of close to 100 percent in treating a major health problem but offer little evidence to back that up, you might be excused for being more than a tad skeptical. And a new study says you would be right.
The health problem in question is osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, something that affects almost 10 million Americans. Its caused by the wearing down of the protective cartilage in the knee. That cartilage acts as a kind of shock absorber, so when its gone you have bone rubbing against bone. Thats not just painful but also debilitating, making it hard to lead an active life.
There is a lot of research taking place including a clinical trial that CIRM is funding that focuses on using stem cells to create new cartilage, but so far nothing has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for wider use. The reason for that is simple. No approach has yet proven it is both safe and effective.
No evidence? No worries
But that doesnt stop many clinics around the US, and around the world, from claiming they have treatments that work and charging patients a hefty sum to get them.
In a study presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, researchers contacted 317 clinics in the US that directly market stem cell therapies to consumers. They asked the clinics for information on the cost of the procedure and their success rate.
Only 36 clinics responded with information about success rates.
None offered any evidence based on a clinical trial that supported those claims, and there was no connection between how much they charged and how successful they claimed to be.
In a news release about the study which appears in the Journal of Knee Surgery George Muschler, one of the lead authors, said that orthopedic surgeons have a duty to give patients the best information available about all treatment options.
Recent systematic reviews of cellular therapies for the treatment of knee OA (over 400 papers screened) have found poor levels of evidence for the efficacy of these treatments to date. Current evidence does not justify the rapid rate of growth for these therapies.
Nicolas Piuzzi, the other lead author on the study, says if the evidence doesnt justify the growth in the number of clinics offering these therapies, it certainly doesnt justify the prices they charge.
The claim of stem cell therapy carries a high level of expectations for the potential benefits, but research is still many years away from providing clear evidence of effective treatment to patients. As clinicians and researchers, we have ethical, scientific, legal and regulatory concerns. Patients need to be aware of the status of research within the field. If they receive information from anyone offering a treatment claim of an 80 to 100 percent successful recovery, they should be concerned in observance of published peer-reviewed evidence.
Here is the original post:
Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ...
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- FDA cracks down on stem cell clinics - CNN - April 29th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018
- FDA Wants To Tighten The Screws On Stem Cell Clinics ... - December 24th, 2018
- Meet Our Doctors - Rejuva Stem Cell Clinic - December 24th, 2018
- What Stem Cell Clinics Do You Trust? | BioInformant - November 5th, 2018
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2018
- FDA: Florida Stem Cell Clinic Violates Law | Health News Florida - September 15th, 2018
- Patients guide to treatments - The Niche - July 14th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Utah Docere Clinics - October 18th, 2017
- At ClinicalTrials.Gov, Untested Stem Cell Clinics ... - October 13th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy and Its Revolutionary Purposes Guardian ... - Guardian Liberty Voice - September 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments ... - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unproven stem cell therapies - Gears Of Biz - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA to crack down on 'unscrupulous' stem cell clinics ... - August 31st, 2017
- FDA cracks on clinics using unapproved stem cell treatments - Pulse Headlines - August 29th, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unapproved stem cell therapies - CBS News - August 29th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment potential in Canada - IMTJ - August 20th, 2017
- Dozens of US clinics sell unproven stem cell therapies for heart failure - Fox News - July 30th, 2017
- Broomfield's Regenexx in merger with Iowa company - Longmont Times-Call - July 12th, 2017
- North Central Texas Stem Cell Clinics in conjunction ... - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - Medical Xpress - July 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - Cendant Cellular Therapies - Denver ... - November 30th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics Questions to Ask - National Multiple ... - September 23rd, 2016
- CIRM Alpha Stem Cell Clinic - UCSD Stem Cell Program - September 18th, 2016
- Treatment Abroad | Canadian Stem Cell Foundation - September 18th, 2016
- Hundreds of U.S. clinics are selling unapproved stem cell ... - August 31st, 2016
- First stem cell treatment for human administered in Atlanta ... - August 20th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics : National Multiple Sclerosis Society - September 29th, 2015
- Adult Stem Cell Banks and Clinics Marketing Stem Cell ... - September 25th, 2015
- Stem cell clinics, FDA, and giant, unapproved for-profit ... - September 25th, 2015
- Predatory stem cell clinics are winning the war; what can ... - September 22nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Therapy Clinics In Canada | Stem Cell Medical ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Clinics List | Stem Cells Freak - May 30th, 2015