Hundreds of clinics across the United States are marketing unapproved stem cell treatments for conditions ranging from aging skin to spinal cord injuries, a new study finds.
In an online search, researchers found at least 570 clinics offering unapproved stem cell "therapies." They tend to be concentrated in a handful of states -- including Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New York and Texas -- but are scattered across many other states, too.
Most often, the clinics market stem cell procedures for orthopedic conditions, such as arthritis and injured ligaments and tendons. This does have science behind it, but is still experimental, medical experts said.
In other cases with little or no supporting evidence, clinics hawked stem cell "facelifts" and therapies for serious conditions such as chronic lung disease, Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis.
If these pricey stem cell treatments are unproven and unapproved by federal regulators, how can these clinics exist?
"I ask myself that question all the time," said Leigh Turner, a bioethicist who worked on the study.
Turner, an associate professor at the University of Minnesota's Center for Bioethics, said attention used to focus on "stem cell tourism" -- where people travel to countries such as China, India and Mexico to get unproven treatments.
"I think there's a misperception that everything here [in the U.S.] is regulated," Turner said. "But these clinics are operating here, and on a relatively large scale."
Stem cells are primitive cells with the potential to mature into various types of body tissue. Medical researchers have been studying the possibility of using stem cells to repair damaged tissue in a range of chronic ills -- with limited success so far.
But the general public has heard about the "promise" of stem cells for years, and it can be easy to be taken in by clinics' marketing tactics, Turner said.
Websites can, for instance, link to published medical studies that make their therapies seem legitimate, Turner said. "These businesses can be quite savvy," he said. "I think it's asking too much to just tell consumers to be wary. We need to be asking, why should these clinics be allowed to do this?"
Arthur Caplan, a bioethicist who was not involved in the study, cited some explanations for the growth of stem cell clinics.
In a breakthrough process, scientists are transforming stem cells into actual beating heart tissue. It could someday lead to new drug treatments ...
The businesses are usually not engaging in interstate commerce, which helps them "fly under the radar," said Caplan, who directs the division of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City.
Plus, he said, there's a regulatory gray area when it comes to so-called "autologous" stem cell therapy -- which refers to treatments that use a person's own stem cells.
"If you have cells from your own body reinjected, it isn't clear that you're getting a 'new biologic,' " Caplan explained.
Of the businesses Turner's team found, most marketed autologous therapies, usually using stem cells from people's body fat or bone marrow. But about one-fifth of the businesses claimed to use stem cells from umbilical cord blood or amniotic or placental tissue.
The issue goes beyond people wasting their money or having their "hopes dashed," Turner said. It's known some have been seriously harmed.
He mentioned two elderly patients in Florida who died following an unapproved stem cell procedure.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has taken steps against specific businesses. Last year, it sent a warning letter to a network of clinics that operate in California, Florida and New York. According to the FDA, the clinics illegally use stem cells from people's fat tissue to treat conditions such as Parkinson's, MS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and autism.
"Many of these claims are outrageous," Caplan said. "These clinics are preying on vulnerable people."
His advice for consumers: "Be wary of any procedure that comes with celebrity endorsements or patient testimonials."
The FDA has issued draft guidelines on the use of stem cells. A public hearing is scheduled for later this year.
The new study findings appear in the June 30 issue of Cell Stem Cell.
See the original post here:
Hundreds of U.S. clinics are selling unapproved stem cell ...
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- FDA cracks down on stem cell clinics - CNN - April 29th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018
- FDA Wants To Tighten The Screws On Stem Cell Clinics ... - December 24th, 2018
- Meet Our Doctors - Rejuva Stem Cell Clinic - December 24th, 2018
- What Stem Cell Clinics Do You Trust? | BioInformant - November 5th, 2018
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2018
- FDA: Florida Stem Cell Clinic Violates Law | Health News Florida - September 15th, 2018
- Patients guide to treatments - The Niche - July 14th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Utah Docere Clinics - October 18th, 2017
- At ClinicalTrials.Gov, Untested Stem Cell Clinics ... - October 13th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy and Its Revolutionary Purposes Guardian ... - Guardian Liberty Voice - September 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments ... - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unproven stem cell therapies - Gears Of Biz - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA to crack down on 'unscrupulous' stem cell clinics ... - August 31st, 2017
- FDA cracks on clinics using unapproved stem cell treatments - Pulse Headlines - August 29th, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unapproved stem cell therapies - CBS News - August 29th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment potential in Canada - IMTJ - August 20th, 2017
- Dozens of US clinics sell unproven stem cell therapies for heart failure - Fox News - July 30th, 2017
- Broomfield's Regenexx in merger with Iowa company - Longmont Times-Call - July 12th, 2017
- North Central Texas Stem Cell Clinics in conjunction ... - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - Medical Xpress - July 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - Cendant Cellular Therapies - Denver ... - November 30th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics Questions to Ask - National Multiple ... - September 23rd, 2016
- CIRM Alpha Stem Cell Clinic - UCSD Stem Cell Program - September 18th, 2016
- Treatment Abroad | Canadian Stem Cell Foundation - September 18th, 2016
- First stem cell treatment for human administered in Atlanta ... - August 20th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics : National Multiple Sclerosis Society - September 29th, 2015
- Adult Stem Cell Banks and Clinics Marketing Stem Cell ... - September 25th, 2015
- Stem cell clinics, FDA, and giant, unapproved for-profit ... - September 25th, 2015
- Predatory stem cell clinics are winning the war; what can ... - September 22nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Therapy Clinics In Canada | Stem Cell Medical ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Clinics List | Stem Cells Freak - May 30th, 2015