Alta Charo, Warren P. Knowles professor of law and bioethics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is pictured in July 2013.(Photo: Jeff Miller, University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Three women between the ages of 72 and 88 suffered severe loss of vision after receiving injections of stem cells derived from their own fatty tissue, according to a 2017 paper in The New England Journal of Medicine. All three had paid $5,000 to a stem cell clinic in Sunrise, Florida.
In 2009, a Los Angeles woman in her late 60s had to have small chunks of bone removed from the tissue around her eye, after undergoing a new face-lift procedure that included an injection of stem cells, Scientific American reported.
The cells, obtained from her own fat, included mesenchymal stem cells thathelp form skeletal tissue, including bone and cartilage.
A decade ago, U.S. scientists worried about Americans flying thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars only to get fleeced by stem cell clinics in the regulatory Wild West of countries like China, India, Mexico and Thailand.
Now it happens here.
RELATED: 20 years after the growth of human embryonic stem cells at UW, science faces new frontiers
Leigh Turner, an associate professor for bioethics at the University of Minnesota, found 716 stem cell clinics in the U.S and published a paper on the phenomenon in the journal Perspectives in Biology and Medicine.
Turner found many of the clinics claimed to use stem cells taken from the patients own fat; others said they use blood-forming stem cells obtained from bone marrow. The latter have been used for years to treat some cancers, mostly leukemia and lymphoma.
Turner discovered, however, that stem cell clinics are promoting their cells as treatment for a wide variety of illnesses, including orthopedic conditions, pain relief, neurological disorders, immunological diseases, cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases, respiratory diseases, Alzheimers, aging, dental problems, vision loss, hearing loss and even hair loss.
The long list of applications for one treatment, experts say, is a tip-off that the claims are dubious.
Its extraordinarily unlikely that a single product is going to have a positive effect on a whole series of diseases, saidAlta Charo, a University of Wisconsin-Madisonprofessor of law and bioethics.
In his paper, Turner said that the FDA, FBI, the Federal Trade Commission and state medical boards all have powers to regulate various aspects of the burgeoning stem cell business.
However the appearance of a well-regulated and strictly overseen marketplace for stem cell products is misleading, Turner wrote. Many U.S. businesses currently advertising stem cell treatments appear to operate in violation of federal regulations because they lack FDA approval for products that require premarket authorization.
Thank you! You're almost signed up for NewsWatch Delivered
Keep an eye out for an email to confirm your newsletter registration.
There have been some enforcement actions. In 2017, FDA announced a crackdown aimed at unscrupulous actors in the stem cell business. Earlier this year the agency filed complaints seeking permanent injunctions against two stem cell firms: U.S. Stem Cell Clinic LLCof Sunrise, Florida, and California Stem Cell Treatment CenterInc.of Rancho Mirage, California.
John Gurdon, the Nobel Prize-winning British scientist, said by email that clinics using unproven treatments coulddamage public confidence in stem cell research.
I believe all medical treatments should be conducted based on sufficient scientific evidence, said Gurdon, who shared the 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Japanese stem cell scientist Shinya Yamanaka. Unproven treatments can, not only impose huge physical and financial risks on patients, but also lose the credibility of stem cell research. Our first priority should be to ensure patients safety as much as we can.
See original here:
Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ...
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- FDA cracks down on stem cell clinics - CNN - April 29th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018
- FDA Wants To Tighten The Screws On Stem Cell Clinics ... - December 24th, 2018
- Meet Our Doctors - Rejuva Stem Cell Clinic - December 24th, 2018
- What Stem Cell Clinics Do You Trust? | BioInformant - November 5th, 2018
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2018
- FDA: Florida Stem Cell Clinic Violates Law | Health News Florida - September 15th, 2018
- Patients guide to treatments - The Niche - July 14th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Utah Docere Clinics - October 18th, 2017
- At ClinicalTrials.Gov, Untested Stem Cell Clinics ... - October 13th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy and Its Revolutionary Purposes Guardian ... - Guardian Liberty Voice - September 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments ... - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unproven stem cell therapies - Gears Of Biz - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA to crack down on 'unscrupulous' stem cell clinics ... - August 31st, 2017
- FDA cracks on clinics using unapproved stem cell treatments - Pulse Headlines - August 29th, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unapproved stem cell therapies - CBS News - August 29th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment potential in Canada - IMTJ - August 20th, 2017
- Dozens of US clinics sell unproven stem cell therapies for heart failure - Fox News - July 30th, 2017
- Broomfield's Regenexx in merger with Iowa company - Longmont Times-Call - July 12th, 2017
- North Central Texas Stem Cell Clinics in conjunction ... - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - Medical Xpress - July 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - Cendant Cellular Therapies - Denver ... - November 30th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics Questions to Ask - National Multiple ... - September 23rd, 2016
- CIRM Alpha Stem Cell Clinic - UCSD Stem Cell Program - September 18th, 2016
- Treatment Abroad | Canadian Stem Cell Foundation - September 18th, 2016
- Hundreds of U.S. clinics are selling unapproved stem cell ... - August 31st, 2016
- First stem cell treatment for human administered in Atlanta ... - August 20th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics : National Multiple Sclerosis Society - September 29th, 2015
- Adult Stem Cell Banks and Clinics Marketing Stem Cell ... - September 25th, 2015
- Stem cell clinics, FDA, and giant, unapproved for-profit ... - September 25th, 2015
- Predatory stem cell clinics are winning the war; what can ... - September 22nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Therapy Clinics In Canada | Stem Cell Medical ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Clinics List | Stem Cells Freak - May 30th, 2015