Every year, BioSpace analyzes the biotech industry, looking for the hot new biotech startups to watch. We then produce the NextGen Bio Class of, twenty companies ranked based on several categories, including Finance, Collaborations, Pipeline, and Innovation. The companies were typically launched no more than 18 months before the list was created.
We thought it would be insightful to look back at our previous lists to see where some of those companies are today. Heres a look at the top three companies from the Top 20 Life Science Startups to Watch in 2018.
#1. BlueRock Therapeutics. Founded in 2016, BlueRock was #1 on our list of companies to watch in 2018. With facilities in Ontario, Canada; Cambridge, Massachusetts; and New York, New York, BlueRock launched in December 2016 with a $225 million Series A financing led by Bayer AG and Versant Ventures. The company focuses on cell therapies to regenerate heart muscle in patients who have had a heart attack or chronic heart failure, as well as therapies for patients with Parkinsons disease.
In October 2017, BlueRock and Seattle-based Universal Cells entered into a collaboration and license deal to create induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell lines that can be used in the manufacture of allogeneic cellular therapies. Shortly afterwards, the company established its corporate headquarters in Cambridge, and in April 2018, established a research-and-development hub in New York City, as well as formalizing a sponsored research collaboration with the Center for Stem Cell Biology at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) Cancer Center. The collaboration focuses on translating Ketterings expertise in creating multiple types of authentic neural cells from stem cells to address diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. BlueRock also received $1 million from the State of New York and Empire State Development under its economic development initiatives program.
In April 2019, BlueRock partnered with Editas Medicine (which was on BioSpaces NextGen Bio Class of 2015 list) to combine their genome editing and cell therapy technologies to focus on novel engineered cell medicines. Part of the deal was to collaborate on creating novel, allogeneic pluripotent cell lines using a combination of Editas CRISPR genome editing technology and BlueRocks iPSC platform.
And finally, in August 2019, Bayer AG acquired BlueRock for the remaining stake in the company for about $240 million in cash and an additional $360 million in pre-defined development milestones.
#2. Prelude Fertility. Prelude Fertility is a bit of an outlier from the typical BioSpace NextGen company, because it isnt quite a biopharma company. It is a life sciences company whose business model is aimed at in vitro fertilization and egg freezing. It was founded with a $200 million investment by entrepreneur Martin Varsavsky. The investment was in the largest in vitro fertilization clinic in the Southeast, Reproductive Biology Associates of Atlanta, and its affiliate, My Egg Bank, the largest frozen donor egg bank in the U.S.
Since then it has expanded in various parts of the country, including adding San Francisco-based Pacific Fertility Center (PFC) to its network in September 25, 2017; partnering with Houston Fertility Institute and acquiring Vivere Health; partnering with the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago; and in October 2018, partnered with NYU Langone Health.
In March 2019, Prelude merged with Inception Fertility to establish the Prelude Network as the fastest-growing network of fertility clinics and largest provider of comprehensive fertility services in the U.S. Inception is acting as the parent company, with the Prelude Network, both having board representatives from the previous organizations.
#3. Relay Therapeutics. Ranking #3 on our list for 2018, Relay Therapeutics launched in September 2016 with a $57 million Series A financing led by Third Rock Ventures with participation form D.E. Shaw Research. On December 14, 2017, it closed on a Series B round worth $63 million, led by BVF Partners, with new investors GV (formerly Google Ventures), Casdin Capital, EcoR1 Capital and Section 32.
The company focuses on the relationship between protein motion and function. It merges computational power with structural biology, biophysics, chemistry and biology. In December 2018, the company completed a $400 million Series C financing. It was led by the SoftBank Vision fund and included additional new investors, Foresite Capital, Perceptive Advisors and Tavistock Group. Existing investors also participated.
The company announced at the time it planned to use the funds to accelerate the implementation of its long-term strategy, expanding its discovery efforts, advancing existing programs into the clinic and improving its platform.
Go here to read the rest:
Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace
- Select residents with high-risk health issues will start getting a booster shot starting tomorrow - Newstalk 610 CKTB (iHeartRadio) - August 31st, 2021
- Princeton To Offer Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In September - Reverb MSN Music - August 31st, 2021
- A Third Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended for Some Cancer Patients With Weakened Immune Systems - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - August 18th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Stem Cell Therapy in Cancer Market | Analysis and Opportunity Assessment from 2021-2028 |Aelan Cell Technologies, Baylx, Benitec... - August 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market Scope and Forecast By 2021-2027 I Top key players- Fresenius Kabi SA, Asahi Kasei Corporation, The Manomet... - August 5th, 2021
- The Oncology Institute of Hope and Innovation (TOI) Expands to San Diego County - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the blood - Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers - August 5th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Status and Precise Outlook During 2020 to 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 25th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Sustains Competitiveness by Adoption of Technological Innovations by 2021-2027 The ERX News - The ERX News - June 25th, 2021
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Market is Booming in Near Future with Speedy Growth, Key Players International Stem Cell Corporation, Takeda. The... - June 25th, 2021
- FDA to Crack Down on Stem Cell Clinics With Unproven Therapies - Bloomberg Law - June 8th, 2021
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Stock Analysis, Impact of COVID-19 on Sales, Business Opportunities, Trends 2020 (Chipscreen... - June 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Business Growth Tactics, Future Strategies, Competitive Outlook and Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 8th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market share, growth drivers, demand, supply, challenges, and investment opportunities by 2028 - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 18th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) is the Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine Clinic Myrtle Beach - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Comprehensive Analysis on Global Market Report by Company, by Dynamics, by Region, by... - April 18th, 2021
- Dad needs 300k for CAR-T cancer therapy in US or Israel - The Northern Echo - April 18th, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Market Trends and Forecasts, 2020-2030: Cell Processing Steps, Scale of Operations, End... - April 4th, 2021
- Hair Restoration Market Size Worth $13.6 Billion By 2028 | CAGR: 15.4%: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Aviv Clinics in Florida's The Villages Retirement Community Fights Aging - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- $16.89 Billion Nerve Repair and Regeneration Markets, 2026 - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Market Current Scenario Trends, Comprehensive Analysis and Regional Forecast to - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 8th, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market 2021 Revenue, COVID Impact Analysis Report, I - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2026||Boston Scientific Corporation, Alafair Biosciences,... - February 17th, 2021
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma Treatment Market 2021 Present Scenario on Growth Analysis and High Demand to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 17th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Is Projected To Reach 240.7 Million US$ By 2026 | Key Players, Market Dynamics, Market Trends, And Forecast. KSU |... - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Australia's best performing IVF clinics revealed - Queensland Times - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell and allergy clinics receive CBER untitled letters - Regulatory Focus - January 31st, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market: Stem Cell Therapy Research to Prominently Uphold Growth Outlook: Global Industry Analysis 2014-2018 and... - December 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Clinics: Effective or Pricey False Hope? - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - December 17th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 17th, 2020
- California's Proposition 14: short in the arm for stem cell research - BioNews - December 16th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Trends, Drivers, Challenges And Standardization To 2020-2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: The Next Big Innovation in Machinery Industry 2020|, Orange County Hair... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 27th, 2020
- Nancy Lane, MD: The State of Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis - MD Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Research, Clinical Study and Business Guidelines till 2026 | Chipscreen Biosciences Innate Pharma SA ... - September 12th, 2020
- Serving every person in the Summit County community - Summit Daily News - September 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Impact Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report Top Companies like VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - September 11th, 2020
- Clinics 'peddling false hope for autism with potentially hazardous 14,000 cell therapy' - Mirror Online - September 5th, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2025 - Express Journal - August 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2027 Register a Xx% CAGR In Terms Of Revenue: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - August 12th, 2020
- Joliet toddler with cancer missed 2nd birthday at home due to Chicago riots - The Herald-News - August 11th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Product, Technique, End Users and Region. - Good Night, Good... - August 11th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Outlook 2020: Company Profiles of Key Players Axogen, Baxter, Nevro, Nuvectra, Polyganics and Stryker -... - August 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 7th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Unproven stem cell therapies, and now, strong words from the FDA - BioNews - July 27th, 2020
- Choosing a Stem Cell Clinic: 3 Critical Questions You Must ... - July 23rd, 2020
- FDA extends deadline for stem cell clinics to comply with ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Post COVID 19 Pandemic Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 Top Players Include, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - July 16th, 2020
- Nebraska AG files lawsuit against Omaha stem cell clinic - Lincoln Journal Star - July 16th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020