Scientists are making progress in testing stem cells to treat a variety of diseases, but they're warning about clinics that push unproven treatments.
There are clinics "selling snake oil" all over the world, warns Sean Morrison, a stem cell expert at the University of Michigan.
The International Society for Stem Cell Research says it's concerned about aggressive marketing of treatments by clinics that may not have safeguards to ensure safety or likely benefit.
In June, the society launched a website - http://www.closerlookatstemcells.org - for people interested in such clinics. It has already attracted more than 10,000 hits.
Adult Stem Cell Research Leaving Embryos Behind"60 Minutes": Growing Body Parts
The website offers background information on stem cell research and suggests questions to ask at a particular clinic, such as:
What is the scientific evidence that this new procedure could work for my disease or condition? Where is this published?
Is there any independent oversight or accreditation of the clinic where the treatment will be done and the facility where the cells are processed?
What are the risks of the procedure and the possible side effects, both immediate and long-term?
The website also invites readers to submit the names of clinics, which the society will then contact for specific information as it builds a public list of facilities.
The list will reveal whether these clinics provided evidence of appropriate oversight and patient protections.
At a U.S. government website - http://www.clinicaltrials.gov - patients and families can search for formal treatment studies all over the world that are aimed at particular diseases.
The website's database currently details more than 90,000 clinical trials sponsored by federal agencies (such as the National Institutes of Health) and private industry.
Top 10 Things to Know About Stem Cell TreatmentsAdapted from the International Society for Stem Cell Research:
1. There are different types of stem cells, each with their own purpose.
It is unlikely that a single cell type could be used to treat a multitude of unrelated diseases that involve different tissues or organs. Be wary of clinics that offer treatments with stem cells that originate from a part of the body that is different from the part being treated.
2. A single stem cell treatment will not work on a multitude of unrelated diseases or conditions.
A major warning sign that a clinic may not be credible is when treatments are offered for a wide variety of conditions but rely on a single cell type.
3. Currently, there are very few widely-accepted stem cell therapies.
The range of diseases where stem cell treatments have been shown to be beneficial in responsibly conducted clinical trials is still extremely restricted (including diseases and conditions of the blood and immune system; restoring the blood system after treatments for specific cancers; some bone, skin and corneal diseases or injuries).
4. Just because people say stem cells helped them doesn't mean they did.
Be wary of clinics that measure or advertise their results primarily through patient testimonials, which may by unrelated to the actual stem cell treatment, arising from the "placebo effect," accompanying treatments, and natural fluctuations of the disease or condition.
5. A large part of why it takes time to develop new therapies is that science itself is a long and difficult process.
If a treatment has not been carefully designed, well studied and gone through the necessary preclinical and clinical testing, it is unlikely to have the desired effect. Even more concerning is that it may prove to make the condition worse or have dangerous side effects.
6. To be used in treatments, stem cells will have to be instructed to behave in specific ways.
Bone marrow transplantation is typically successful because we are asking the cells to do exactly what they were designed to do: make more blood. For other conditions, we may want the cells to behave in ways that are different from how they would ordinarily work in the body. Be wary of claims that stem cells will somehow just know where to go and what to do to treat a specific condition.
7. Just because stem cells came from your body doesn't mean they are safe.
While you are unlikely to have an immune response to your own cells, the procedures used to acquire, grow and deliver them are potentially risky. As soon as the cells leave your body they may be subjected to a number of manipulations that could change the characteristics of the cells, or contamination with bacteria, viruses or other pathogens. The procedure to either remove or inject the cells also carries risk.
8. There is something to lose by trying an unproven treatment.
It is easy to understand why people might feel they have nothing to lose from trying something even if it is unproven. However, there are very real risks of developing complications, both immediate and long-term, while the chance of experiencing a benefit is likely very low. Participating in an unproven treatment may also make a person ineligible to participate in upcoming clinical trials.
9. An experimental treatment offered for sale is not the same as a clinical trial.
The fact that a procedure is experimental does not automatically mean that it is part of a research study or clinical trial, using tested pretrial data and independent oversight by a medical group or ethics committee. Beware of expensive treatments that have not passed successfully through clinical trials.
10. Stem cell science is constantly moving forward.
Although it is sometimes hard to see, stem cell science is moving forward. There have been great advances in treating diseases and conditions of the blood system using blood-forming stem cells, and these show us just how powerful stem cell therapies can be.
Read this article:
Advice on Finding Legitimate Stem Cell Clinics - CBS News
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 26.1% by 2026; Rising Prevalence of Genetic Disorders to Fuel Demand, states Fortune Business... - May 28th, 2020
- EdiGene and Immunochina Announce Research and Development Collaboration to Develop Allogeneic CAR-T Therapy for Cancer - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc, Merck & Co.,... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - May 20th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Global Industry Review 2015-2019 and Forecast to 2025 - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Dr. Maro: Hope for aging, injured pets through stem cell, plasma therapies - Ellwood City Ledger - May 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - MR Invasion - May 4th, 2020
- How firms respond to opportunities created by pandemic will say a lot about their corporate cultures - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - P&T Community - April 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Baker City Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to reach US$ 5129.66 million in 2027 - Germany English News - April 6th, 2020
- Global transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By New Business Developments - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Share Forecast to 2027: Orion Pharma, Kringle Pharma, Inc., Aquestive Therapeutics, Apotex Inc, Bausch... - March 11th, 2020
- Best Market Research on Stem Cell Therapy Market, Industry / Sector Analysis Report, Regional Outlook & Competitive Market Share & Forecast,... - March 9th, 2020
- Dubai is the 'new Beverly Hills of the Middle East': Here's why - Gulf News - March 7th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.98 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- 10 Best Clinics for Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico [2020 Prices] - February 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Size and Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - February 15th, 2020
- Health: Is this company onto an alternative to stem cell therapy? - Stockhead - February 12th, 2020
- Mystery of Leaky Gut Plumbed by UCSD Team, Which Created Mini-Guts - Times of San Diego - February 11th, 2020
- Stem cell clinics much-hyped treatments lack scientific support - Science News - January 31st, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - Yahoo News - January 25th, 2020
- Why stem cells could be the medical innovation of the century - World Economic Forum - January 17th, 2020
- Orthobiology Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends - PharmiWeb.com - January 15th, 2020
- Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace - January 7th, 2020
- Drugs, Biologics, and Regenerative Medicine in 2019: A Successful Year Ends with Promise of a More Challenging 2020 - JD Supra - December 18th, 2019
- Automation in Cell Therapy Manufacturing Is Driving the Growth of the Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period (2019-2025) - Press Release -... - December 14th, 2019
- Bioethics experts call on GoFundMe to ban unproven medical treatments - The Verge - December 10th, 2019
- Must-Reads Of The Week From Brianna Labuskes - Kaiser Health News - December 6th, 2019
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem of the problem | Columns | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 3rd, 2019
- Global cell therapy market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2018 to Showing Impressive Growth by 2027 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Business briefs - News - The Hutchinson News - November 3rd, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018