When is a Stem Cell a Drug?
About a decade ago, stem cell clinics began popping up offering unapproved treatments for all kinds of debilitating and incurable diseases using a patients own fat stem cells.
There are now at least170 such clinics just in the US; many plastic surgeons doing liposuction have gotten on board. Stem cell clinics are even more popular outside the US, where they are part of the booming medical tourism industry. People travel all over the world for these treatments. In these cases the source of the cells and types of handling are not always clearly defined, making these treatments a safety concern.
The stem cell product generation involves collection of adipose tissue through liposuction, and isolation of the adipose stem cells with collagenase or other enzymes to create a stromal vascular fraction (SVF). This SVF is sometimes referred to as The Soup because of the lack of defined characteristics. The isolated product, which includes some stem cells, are then injected back into regions of the body from which the cells were not derived, which are referred to as non-homologous sites. The site of delivery depends on what condition is being treated but most of the potential administration sites (e.g., joints, muscles, circulatory system, central nervous system) are not homologous to the tissue of origin, the adipose tissue.
Some companies claim their treatments are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and tout cures for many incurable diseases and conditions, including Parkinsons disease, multiple sclerosis, autism, inflammation, all types of cancers and aging. But news reports have characterized the treatments as the modern-day version of snake oil, and stem cell organizations such as theCalifornia Institute for Regenerative Medicineand theInternational Society for Stem Cell Researchalong with the US National Institutes of Health consider many of these clinics dubious and have issued safety warnings to educate the public.The FDA has cautioned consumersto make sure that any stem cell treatment they are considering has been approved by FDA or is being studied under a clinical investigation that has been submitted to and allowed to proceed by FDA.
How can the use of a patients own cells be potentially dangerous? Some of the safety concerns arise from the extent of the manipulation and possible expansion of the cells outside the body. There are also concerns about the quality controls incorporated in the process, the characterization of the mixture, and complications from the administration back to the patient and the administration site.
It is very possible that some of these SVF treatments, especially for tissue pain and minor inflammation, have some level of therapeutic effect by facilitating tissue repair through release of trophic factors and/or induction of repair/regeneration pathways. However, the exact mechanisms are unknown and it is hard to evaluate the record of success of these therapies because stem cell clinics rarely publish data or findings.
Moreover, the FDA guidelines, until recently, were considered ambiguous concerning the classification and use of these autologous therapies. In the US, cell therapies are, legally, considered both biologics and drugs. They fall under the purview of theFood, Drug and Cosmetic Actbecause they mitigate, treat and prevent disease, but they also fall under the Public Health Service Act, sections351and361specifically, because they convey infectious disease.
Category 361 products are self-derived (autologous), minimally manipulated and used in a homologous manner, and do not need an Investigational New Drug (IND) approval, just an Institutional Review Board (IRB), a site registration and local (not FDA) oversight. Category 351 products are those that are more than minimally manipulated or ones that are used in a non-homologous manner. Marketed drug products fall into this 351 category. They require the whole drug development package (an IND, preclinical safety studies, clinical trials and marketing approval) before they can be prescribed to patients.
Not surprisingly, there has been much confusion over the product classification and definitions of these adipose-derived therapies, particularly over the interpretation of the phrases more than minimally manipulated and non-homologous use.
A year ago, in an effort to minimize interpretations from previous guidance, the FDA released two draft guidance:Minimal Manipulation of Human Cells, Tissues, And Cellular and Tissue-Based ProductsandHuman Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/Ps) from Adipose Tissue: Regulatory Considerations. Both further define minimal manipulation and homologous use and provide many clear examples, some specifically addressing SVF.
In order to consider a cell product minimally manipulated, the processing must be shown not to alter the relevant characteristics or physical state of the tissue. For example, if the original characteristic of adipose tissue is to provide cushioning and support to tissues and organs, insulation, and energy storage capacity, then isolating just the adipose stem cells and removing the extracellular matrix that contributes to the tissues function would be considered more than minimally manipulated.
In order to meet the requirements for homologous use the cell product must be used in a tissue that performs the same basic function as the tissue of origin. For example, adipose tissue does not function in bone and joints and use of adipose tissue to treat bone and joint disease would be generally considered non-homologous use. Ultimately, these guidance provide more description for more-than-minimally manipulated, adipose-derived products and clearly state their non-homologous use meets the definition of a marketed drug product.
The intent of the guidance is to educate and provide clinics and doctors with proposed rules to self-correct and reduce the need for enforcement action once these guidelines are approved.
The Preclinical Process
As a result of these clarifying guidance documents, there are now many stem cell companies working through the process of obtaining regulatory approval for their autologous adipose-derived stem cell therapies. This approval will require product characterization and preclinical safety assessments similar to the expectations of a small-molecule or a biologic drug, which may includein vitroandin vivotesting.
The process can be relatively straight-forward and short-term, but ultimately the extent of testing depends on the cell product source, ex vivo manipulations, and use with other products and therapeutic indication. Navigating this preclinical process requires scientists that are familiar with the intricacies of the regulatory expectations, implementation of the testing requirements and performance of the assessments within the regulatory framework.
In this budding field of stem cell therapies, there is a lot of promise and still a lot of unknowns. Even with the most stringent and detailed characterization of the cell product and understanding of mechanisms of action, adverse interactions could occur. That is why these products are assessed with a tiered, risk-based approach designed by the FDA to provide the appropriate level of oversight to protect public health.
One case detailed last year inScientific Americandescribed the unintended consequences of not understanding altered cell characteristics of an isolated cell product and potential adverse interactions from chemical alterations. During a cosmetic treatment in 2009, a woman received some of her own adipose-derived stem cells along with some dermal filler to reduce the wrinkles around her eyes. The dermal filler compoundcalcium hydroxylapatiteis the same compound that stem cell researchers use to drive the undifferentiated stem cells down the bone pathway. In this case, the dermal filler differentiated the stem cells to bone and the patient ended up with bone fragments in the tissues surrounding her eyes, which had to be removed surgically.
This treatment met the requirements of a Category 361 product in that it was minimally manipulated and for autologous homologous use UNTIL it was combined with another product. This (thankfully not life-threatening) example of how stem cell treatments can go awry without proper understanding of product and potential interactions support the need for more safety-based oversight of these novel products.
Despite clarifications to the regulatory guidance and reports of adverse reactions in patients with SVF products, the battle rages on with some stem cell clinics. Physicians and stakeholders involved with autologous stem cell clinics are continuing to challenge the non-homologous use issue, claiming they are not creating drugs and that they are using approved materials. And these clinics continue to practice what they term transformative medicine.
In the end, we must have a better understanding of the cells, their activity and interactions before they are administered to humans. Otherwise, we could be creating more health problems for patients already seeking therapies for untreated conditions.
How to cite:
Jackman, Shawna. Stem Cell Clinics. Eureka blog. Nov 16, 2015. Available:http://eureka.criver.com/stem-cell-clinics/
Stem Cell Clinics - eureka
- Select residents with high-risk health issues will start getting a booster shot starting tomorrow - Newstalk 610 CKTB (iHeartRadio) - August 31st, 2021
- Princeton To Offer Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In September - Reverb MSN Music - August 31st, 2021
- A Third Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended for Some Cancer Patients With Weakened Immune Systems - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - August 18th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Stem Cell Therapy in Cancer Market | Analysis and Opportunity Assessment from 2021-2028 |Aelan Cell Technologies, Baylx, Benitec... - August 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market Scope and Forecast By 2021-2027 I Top key players- Fresenius Kabi SA, Asahi Kasei Corporation, The Manomet... - August 5th, 2021
- The Oncology Institute of Hope and Innovation (TOI) Expands to San Diego County - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the blood - Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers - August 5th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Status and Precise Outlook During 2020 to 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 25th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Sustains Competitiveness by Adoption of Technological Innovations by 2021-2027 The ERX News - The ERX News - June 25th, 2021
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Market is Booming in Near Future with Speedy Growth, Key Players International Stem Cell Corporation, Takeda. The... - June 25th, 2021
- FDA to Crack Down on Stem Cell Clinics With Unproven Therapies - Bloomberg Law - June 8th, 2021
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Stock Analysis, Impact of COVID-19 on Sales, Business Opportunities, Trends 2020 (Chipscreen... - June 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Business Growth Tactics, Future Strategies, Competitive Outlook and Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 8th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market share, growth drivers, demand, supply, challenges, and investment opportunities by 2028 - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 18th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) is the Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine Clinic Myrtle Beach - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Comprehensive Analysis on Global Market Report by Company, by Dynamics, by Region, by... - April 18th, 2021
- Dad needs 300k for CAR-T cancer therapy in US or Israel - The Northern Echo - April 18th, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Market Trends and Forecasts, 2020-2030: Cell Processing Steps, Scale of Operations, End... - April 4th, 2021
- Hair Restoration Market Size Worth $13.6 Billion By 2028 | CAGR: 15.4%: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Aviv Clinics in Florida's The Villages Retirement Community Fights Aging - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- $16.89 Billion Nerve Repair and Regeneration Markets, 2026 - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Market Current Scenario Trends, Comprehensive Analysis and Regional Forecast to - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 8th, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market 2021 Revenue, COVID Impact Analysis Report, I - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2026||Boston Scientific Corporation, Alafair Biosciences,... - February 17th, 2021
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma Treatment Market 2021 Present Scenario on Growth Analysis and High Demand to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 17th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Is Projected To Reach 240.7 Million US$ By 2026 | Key Players, Market Dynamics, Market Trends, And Forecast. KSU |... - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Australia's best performing IVF clinics revealed - Queensland Times - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell and allergy clinics receive CBER untitled letters - Regulatory Focus - January 31st, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market: Stem Cell Therapy Research to Prominently Uphold Growth Outlook: Global Industry Analysis 2014-2018 and... - December 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Clinics: Effective or Pricey False Hope? - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - December 17th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 17th, 2020
- California's Proposition 14: short in the arm for stem cell research - BioNews - December 16th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Trends, Drivers, Challenges And Standardization To 2020-2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: The Next Big Innovation in Machinery Industry 2020|, Orange County Hair... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 27th, 2020
- Nancy Lane, MD: The State of Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis - MD Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Research, Clinical Study and Business Guidelines till 2026 | Chipscreen Biosciences Innate Pharma SA ... - September 12th, 2020
- Serving every person in the Summit County community - Summit Daily News - September 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Impact Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report Top Companies like VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - September 11th, 2020
- Clinics 'peddling false hope for autism with potentially hazardous 14,000 cell therapy' - Mirror Online - September 5th, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2025 - Express Journal - August 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2027 Register a Xx% CAGR In Terms Of Revenue: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - August 12th, 2020
- Joliet toddler with cancer missed 2nd birthday at home due to Chicago riots - The Herald-News - August 11th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Product, Technique, End Users and Region. - Good Night, Good... - August 11th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Outlook 2020: Company Profiles of Key Players Axogen, Baxter, Nevro, Nuvectra, Polyganics and Stryker -... - August 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 7th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Unproven stem cell therapies, and now, strong words from the FDA - BioNews - July 27th, 2020
- Choosing a Stem Cell Clinic: 3 Critical Questions You Must ... - July 23rd, 2020
- FDA extends deadline for stem cell clinics to comply with ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Post COVID 19 Pandemic Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 Top Players Include, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - July 16th, 2020
- Nebraska AG files lawsuit against Omaha stem cell clinic - Lincoln Journal Star - July 16th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020