Dr. Mark Berman injects a patient with a solution he says is rich in adult stem cells at his practice in Beverly Hills, Calif., in this December 2014 file photo.
This is an excerpt from Second Opinion, a weekly roundup of eclectic and under-the-radar health and medical science news emailed to subscribers every Saturday morning. If you haven't subscribed yet, you can do that by clicking here.
Canada's direct-to-consumer cell therapyindustry is thriving.
Across the country, private clinics continue to sell expensive procedures advertised as a form of "regenerative medicine."
The clinics use what they claim are stem cellsthat are siphoned from a patient's bone marrow or fat tissue and injected or given intravenously to treat a range of conditions including joint pain, multiple sclerosisand nerve disorders.
There is a lack of clinical trial evidence to determine whether the procedures are safe and effective. And there has been a long-running debate about whether they're legal.
This week Health Canada issued a public policy position on that point.
"All cell therapies are considered drugs under the Food and Drugs Act. This means that they must be authorized by Health Canada to ensure that they are safe and effective before they can be offered to Canadians," Health Canada said in a news release.
That policy statement confirms that cell therapies are not legal in Canada unless they've been formally approved as drugs, after going through a rigorous review. And so far Health Canada has not approved any of the direct-to-consumer treatments.
Health Canada also warned Canadians about potential safety risks.
"Unauthorized treatments have not been proven to be safe or effective and may cause life-threatening or life-altering risks, such as serious infections."
If these procedures are not approved, and might not be safe, are they still happening? The answer is yes.
Almost a dozen clinics across Canada confirmed to CBC News that they are still doing the procedures, with prices quoted as high as $15,000. Ten other clinics that advertised the procedures on their websitecould not be reached for comment.
Health Canada has been in touch with some of the clinics to inquire about their practice, but so far the agency has nottaken any action to stop clinics from doing the autologous procedures. ("Autologous" means the patient's own cells or tissue are being used.)
That's puzzling to University of Minnesota researcher Leigh Turner, who provided his research notes to Health Canada months agoshowing that there were 43clinics in Canada doing the procedures. Turner's findings were published last September.
"It's like Health Canada is saying, 'We know these business aren't complying with Canadian law, and even in our latest document we're confirming that. Nonetheless, we're going to stand here on the sidelines with our hands in our pockets and not doing anything about it.' And that, to me, is the problem," Turner said.
"I don't understand why it's not more of a priority for Health Canada."
Health Canada spokesperson Andr Gagnon told CBC News in an email that the agency is "currently working to bring clinics into compliance with the applicable regulatory framework."
"This will include requesting clinics to stop selling and advertising cell therapy products that do not meet the applicable requirements."
Health Canada did not indicate when it would take that action.
Turner said it's long overdue.
"We're talking about a nationwide phenomenon right now that has received national news coverage," he said. "There's a tremendous amount of empirical information. Health Canada has interacted with people willing to provide more information. Years have ticked by.That's enough time for Health Canada to take meaningful action."
One Alberta clinic announced on its website that it has officially stopped doing the procedures because they fall into a regulatory grey area.
"It was a decision we made and it was our decision alone," said Joe Burnham, regulatory manager at the Capri Clinic in Lacombe, Alta. The clinic performed about 1,500 procedures before deciding to stop in March. But patients are still calling.
"That's 80 per cent of our calls to this day. When are you guys up and running?"
Burnham said his clinic is investigating how to comply with Health Canada's regulations, but it's not yet clearhow that can be done.
"Doctors that are doing procedures aren't drug companies. And the minute you call a procedure a drug, even if you have a regulatory right to, it turns doctors into drug manufacturers. That's the confusion," Burnham said.
Health Canada acknowledged that challenge, telling CBC News: "There is uncertainty surrounding the practical means of meeting federal product safety regulatory requirements for the sale of cell therapies that aren't mass produced, especially once initial clinical trials are completed.
"Health Canada is working to identify and overcome challenges specific to meeting regulatory requirements for the manufacturing and sale of autologous cell therapy products, including those prepared at the bedside."
Despite the claims from clinics that they areextracting stem cells,the clinicsdon't examine the fluid to determine what sorts of cells and other cellular products it contains.
And scientists point out that it is unlikely to contain true stem cells, which are cells that can transform into any tissue in the body. The extract from bone marrow and fat tissue containsanother type of cellsthat wereoriginally called "mesenchymal stem cells."But scientists now say that name is inaccurate and confusing.
In a commentary in Nature, with the title "Clear up this stem cell mess," Turner and some colleagues explained how the science has evolved since the cells in question were first described and named 25 years ago.
"They don't behave like stem cells," Michael Rudnicki, stem cell scientist at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, told CBC News last September when we first wrote about the name controversy. "None of the criteria we use to define stem cells are present in this population."
"There are clinical trials exploring their ability to modulate the immune system,but it's not a regenerative phenomenon," said Rudnicki, adding that most researchers in the scientific community have abandoned the term "mesenchymal stem cells" and instead call them "mesenchymal stromal cells."
By continuing to use the term "stem cell" for the fluid that is taken from a patient's bone marrow and fat, there is concern that patients will be misled into believing the therapies are able to regenerate bone and tissue, which has not been proven.
To read the entire Second Opinion newsletter every Saturday morning,pleasesubscribe.
Read this article:
'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ...
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 26.1% by 2026; Rising Prevalence of Genetic Disorders to Fuel Demand, states Fortune Business... - May 28th, 2020
- EdiGene and Immunochina Announce Research and Development Collaboration to Develop Allogeneic CAR-T Therapy for Cancer - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc, Merck & Co.,... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - May 20th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Global Industry Review 2015-2019 and Forecast to 2025 - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Dr. Maro: Hope for aging, injured pets through stem cell, plasma therapies - Ellwood City Ledger - May 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - MR Invasion - May 4th, 2020
- How firms respond to opportunities created by pandemic will say a lot about their corporate cultures - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - P&T Community - April 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Baker City Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to reach US$ 5129.66 million in 2027 - Germany English News - April 6th, 2020
- Global transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By New Business Developments - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Share Forecast to 2027: Orion Pharma, Kringle Pharma, Inc., Aquestive Therapeutics, Apotex Inc, Bausch... - March 11th, 2020
- Best Market Research on Stem Cell Therapy Market, Industry / Sector Analysis Report, Regional Outlook & Competitive Market Share & Forecast,... - March 9th, 2020
- Dubai is the 'new Beverly Hills of the Middle East': Here's why - Gulf News - March 7th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.98 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Advice on Finding Legitimate Stem Cell Clinics - CBS News - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Best Clinics for Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico [2020 Prices] - February 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Size and Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - February 15th, 2020
- Health: Is this company onto an alternative to stem cell therapy? - Stockhead - February 12th, 2020
- Mystery of Leaky Gut Plumbed by UCSD Team, Which Created Mini-Guts - Times of San Diego - February 11th, 2020
- Stem cell clinics much-hyped treatments lack scientific support - Science News - January 31st, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - Yahoo News - January 25th, 2020
- Why stem cells could be the medical innovation of the century - World Economic Forum - January 17th, 2020
- Orthobiology Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends - PharmiWeb.com - January 15th, 2020
- Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace - January 7th, 2020
- Drugs, Biologics, and Regenerative Medicine in 2019: A Successful Year Ends with Promise of a More Challenging 2020 - JD Supra - December 18th, 2019
- Automation in Cell Therapy Manufacturing Is Driving the Growth of the Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period (2019-2025) - Press Release -... - December 14th, 2019
- Bioethics experts call on GoFundMe to ban unproven medical treatments - The Verge - December 10th, 2019
- Must-Reads Of The Week From Brianna Labuskes - Kaiser Health News - December 6th, 2019
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem of the problem | Columns | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 3rd, 2019
- Global cell therapy market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2018 to Showing Impressive Growth by 2027 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Business briefs - News - The Hutchinson News - November 3rd, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018