The Food and Drug Administration has launched a nationwide crackdown on stem-cell clinics, issuing letters of warning and threatening civil actions that could shut them down if they refuse to comply with FDA regulations.
On Wednesday, the FDA sent correspondence to 20 clinics around the country, putting them on notice that they must seek FDA review and approval for their procedures.
Over the past 12 months, the FDA has sent regulatory correspondence to 45 clinics, according to The New York Times, which refers to them as rogue stem-cell clinics.
The regulatory crackdown is a paradigm change for more than 700 stem-cell clinics nationwide that have largely gone unregulated by federal authorities for over a decade.
The procedures being scrutinized include those that concentrate a patients own stem cells and re-inject them into that patientto treat a wide range of painful, debilitating illnesses such as herniated disks, joint pain, reproductive issues, Parkinsons disease, multiple sclerosis, and several others.
The FDA has filed civil actions against two clinics, one in Florida and another in California, in a bid to force them to comply with FDA regulatory regimes applied to major drug manufacturers. That would likely be unsustainable for small practices.
Advocates for regenerative stem-cell medicine charge that Big Pharmas influence is behind the crackdown, suggesting the FDA is being used to clear out potential competitors. They describe stem-cell therapy as a minimally invasive procedure best regulated by local medical boards.
The clinics maintain that because many of the treatments involve harvesting a patients own stem cells known as autologous stem cells and then re-injecting them into trouble spots in that patients own body, they should not be subject to FDA regulation.
Stem cells are undifferentiated, meaning they have the potential to grow into multiple types of bodily tissues. The clinics that use them in treatments maintain they reduce inflammation and promote healing.
Stem cells, they say, have been successfully used to treat thousands of patients, while critics point to cases where patients had adverse reactions including three Florida seniors with macular generation who reportedly suffered severe vision loss after stem-cells were injected into their eyes in a clinical trial, as reported in a March 2017 article in the New England Journal of Medicine.
One factor in the growing controversy: The question of when a procedure involving ones own tissues comes under the purview of federal regulators. Libertarian-minded medical ethicists argue the government should not be empowered to regulate patients decisions about their own medical treatment when it involves materials taken from, and reintroduced into, their own bodies.
Dr. Jeff Singer, a general surgeon in Phoenix who also serves as a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute think tank, tells Newsmax that the FDA refrains from regulation in whats known as same surgery, when a tissue is removed from one part of the body and introduced somewhere else in the same patient. A skin graft would be an example.
But if the tissue is manipulated in some way, it begins to attract the FDAs attention, in part due to the concern the tissue could be somehow contaminated during the handling process.
If its what they call not the same surgery for example you take it and process it and then later on reinsert it into the patient they consider that sort of a creation of a drug, and they claim to have regulatory authority over it, Singer says.
This demarcation is particularly relevant in the case of adipose stem-cell treatments -- that is, stem cells that are derived from fatty deposits in the human body.
The procedure can be performed in just two hours under local anesthesia. An amount of fat approximately equivalent to a stick of butter is removed from the body. Enzymes are added to help the stems cells detach from the fat cells. The fatty material is then spun in a centrifuge to separate out stem cells, which are then collected and re-injected into the treatment areas of the patient.
Singer comments: The FDA considers that sort of like creating a medicine, and therefore it needs to come under their regulatory jurisdiction before its approved thats their position on it.
Singer would like the FDA to limit itself to certifying whether an autologous procedure has been proven to be safe and effective.
For example, he says, if the FDA wanted to say, We havent certified that this process is safe, proceed at your own risk, Im ok with that. But I still want to be able to make my own decision.
Of course patient safety is very important to Singer, but he points out federal regulators are hardly beyond making errors of their own. And he says the principle that the patient, not the government, must ultimately decide his or her own care also must be protected.
As Singer tells Newsmax: If I want to take my own tissue my own, not someone elses prepare it a certain way, and then put it back in my own body, thats as sacred as my right to free speech. From a medical ethics standpoint, its a patient autonomy question.
That the FDA sees things differently has become increasingly evident in recent years. Last December, for example, it issued a news release that warned: Time is running out for firms to come into compliance during our period of enforcement discretion. Well be increasing our oversight related to cell-based regenerative medicine as part of our comprehensive plan to promote beneficial innovation while protecting patients.
Perhaps no one in the stem-cell regenerative medicine business has come under greater scrutiny than Dr. Kristin Comella, chief science officer of U.S. Stem Cell, a firm that operates three clinics in South Florida.
Comella has helped train over 700 practitioners in her companys adipose stem-cell methodology, and U.S. Stem Cell has been recognized as a leader in its industry. Comella says the FDAs bid to regulate what patients choose to do with their own tissues is a case of regulatory overreach.
Receive Unlimited Access to ALL Newsmax Platinum Reports!
By becoming an exclusive Newsmax Platinum member, you receive:
All just by becoming a Newsmax Platinum Member today!
See the original post:
FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ...
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - May 20th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Global Industry Review 2015-2019 and Forecast to 2025 - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Clinic Pushes Inhaled Stem Cell Tx, Delivered to Your Door - MedPage Today - May 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Dr. Maro: Hope for aging, injured pets through stem cell, plasma therapies - Ellwood City Ledger - May 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - MR Invasion - May 4th, 2020
- How firms respond to opportunities created by pandemic will say a lot about their corporate cultures - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - P&T Community - April 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Baker City Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to reach US$ 5129.66 million in 2027 - Germany English News - April 6th, 2020
- Global transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By New Business Developments - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Share Forecast to 2027: Orion Pharma, Kringle Pharma, Inc., Aquestive Therapeutics, Apotex Inc, Bausch... - March 11th, 2020
- Best Market Research on Stem Cell Therapy Market, Industry / Sector Analysis Report, Regional Outlook & Competitive Market Share & Forecast,... - March 9th, 2020
- Dubai is the 'new Beverly Hills of the Middle East': Here's why - Gulf News - March 7th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.98 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Advice on Finding Legitimate Stem Cell Clinics - CBS News - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Best Clinics for Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico [2020 Prices] - February 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Size and Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - February 15th, 2020
- Health: Is this company onto an alternative to stem cell therapy? - Stockhead - February 12th, 2020
- Mystery of Leaky Gut Plumbed by UCSD Team, Which Created Mini-Guts - Times of San Diego - February 11th, 2020
- Stem cell clinics much-hyped treatments lack scientific support - Science News - January 31st, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - Yahoo News - January 25th, 2020
- Why stem cells could be the medical innovation of the century - World Economic Forum - January 17th, 2020
- Orthobiology Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends - PharmiWeb.com - January 15th, 2020
- Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace - January 7th, 2020
- Drugs, Biologics, and Regenerative Medicine in 2019: A Successful Year Ends with Promise of a More Challenging 2020 - JD Supra - December 18th, 2019
- Automation in Cell Therapy Manufacturing Is Driving the Growth of the Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period (2019-2025) - Press Release -... - December 14th, 2019
- Bioethics experts call on GoFundMe to ban unproven medical treatments - The Verge - December 10th, 2019
- Must-Reads Of The Week From Brianna Labuskes - Kaiser Health News - December 6th, 2019
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem of the problem | Columns | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 3rd, 2019
- Global cell therapy market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2018 to Showing Impressive Growth by 2027 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Business briefs - News - The Hutchinson News - November 3rd, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018
- FDA Wants To Tighten The Screws On Stem Cell Clinics ... - December 24th, 2018
- Meet Our Doctors - Rejuva Stem Cell Clinic - December 24th, 2018
- What Stem Cell Clinics Do You Trust? | BioInformant - November 5th, 2018
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2018
- FDA: Florida Stem Cell Clinic Violates Law | Health News Florida - September 15th, 2018
- Patients guide to treatments - The Niche - July 14th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Utah Docere Clinics - October 18th, 2017
- At ClinicalTrials.Gov, Untested Stem Cell Clinics ... - October 13th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy and Its Revolutionary Purposes Guardian ... - Guardian Liberty Voice - September 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments ... - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unproven stem cell therapies - Gears Of Biz - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA to crack down on 'unscrupulous' stem cell clinics ... - August 31st, 2017
- FDA cracks on clinics using unapproved stem cell treatments - Pulse Headlines - August 29th, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unapproved stem cell therapies - CBS News - August 29th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment potential in Canada - IMTJ - August 20th, 2017
- Dozens of US clinics sell unproven stem cell therapies for heart failure - Fox News - July 30th, 2017
- Broomfield's Regenexx in merger with Iowa company - Longmont Times-Call - July 12th, 2017
- North Central Texas Stem Cell Clinics in conjunction ... - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - Medical Xpress - July 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - Cendant Cellular Therapies - Denver ... - November 30th, 2016
- Stem Cell Clinics Questions to Ask - National Multiple ... - September 23rd, 2016
- CIRM Alpha Stem Cell Clinic - UCSD Stem Cell Program - September 18th, 2016
- Treatment Abroad | Canadian Stem Cell Foundation - September 18th, 2016