This article, written byKatharine Sedivy-Haley, University of British Columbia, originally appeared on The Conversation and is republished here with permission:
When I was applying to graduate school in 2012, it felt like stem cells were about to revolutionize medicine.
Stem cells have the ability to renew themselves, and mature into specialized cells like heart or brain cells. This allows them to multiply and repair damage.
If stem cell genes are edited to fix defects causing diseases like anemia or immune deficiency, healthy cells can theoretically be reintroduced into a patient, thereby eliminating or preventing a disease. If these stem cells are taken or made from the patient themselves, they are a perfect genetic match for that individual, which means their body will not reject the tissue transplant.
Because of this potential, I was excited that my PhD project at the University of British Columbia gave me the opportunity to work with stem cells.
However, stem cell hype has led some to pay thousands of dollars on advertised stem cell treatments that promise to cure ailments from arthritis to Parkinsons disease. These treatments often dont help and may harm patients.
Despite the potential for stem cells to improve medicine, there are many challenges as they move from lab to clinic. In general, stem cell treatment requires we have a good understanding of stem cell types and how they mature. We also need stem cell culturing methods that will reliably produce large quantities of pure cells. And we need to figure out the correct cell dose and deliver it to the right part of the body.
Embryonic, 'induced and pluripotent
Stem cells come in multiple types. Embryonic stem cells come from embryos which makes them controversial to obtain.
A newly discovered stem cell type is the induced pluripotent stem cell. These cells are created by collecting adult cells, such as skin cells, and reprogramming them by inserting control genes which activate or induce a state similar to embryonic stem cells. This embryo-like state of having the versatile potential to turn into any adult cell type, is called being pluripotent.
However, induced pluripotent and embryonic stem cells can form tumours. Induced pluripotent stem cells carry a particularly high risk of harmful mutation and cancer because of their genetic instability and changes introduced during reprogramming.
Genetic damage could be avoided by using younger tissues such as umbilical cord blood, avoiding tissues that might contain pre-existing mutations (like sun-damaged skin cells), and using better methods for reprogramming.
Stem cells used to test drugs
For now, safety concerns mean pluripotent cells have barely made it to the clinic, but they have been used to test drugs.
For drug research, it is valuable yet often difficult to get research samples with specific disease-causing mutations; for example, brain cells from people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Researchers can, however, take a skin cell sample from a patient, create an induced pluripotent stem-cell line with their mutation and then make neurons out of those stem cells. This provides a renewable source of cells affected by the disease.
This approach could also be used for personalized medicine, testing how a particular patient will respond to different drugs for conditions like heart disease.
Vision loss from fat stem cells
Stem cells can also be found in adults. While embryonic stem cells can turn into any cell in the body, aside from rare newly discovered exceptions, adult stem cells mostly turn into a subset of mature adult cells.
For example, hematopoietic stem cells in blood and bone marrow can turn into any blood cell and are widely used in treating certain cancers and blood disorders.
A major challenge with adult stem cells is getting the right kind of stem cell in useful quantities. This is particularly difficult with eye and nerve cells. Most research is done with accessible stem cell types, like stem cells from fat.
Fat stem cells are also used in stem cell clinics without proper oversight or safety testing. Three patients experienced severe vision loss after having these cells injected into their eyes. There is little evidence that fat stem cells can turn into retinal cells.
Currently, stem cell based treatments are still mostly experimental, and while some results are encouraging, several clinical trials have failed.
In the brain, despite progress in developing treatment for genetic disorders and spinal cord injury, treatments for stroke have been unsuccessful. Results might depend on method of stem cell delivery, timing of treatment and age and health of the patient. Frustratingly, older and sicker tissues may be more resistant to treatment.
For eye conditions, a treatment using adult stem cells to treat corneal injuries has recently been approved. A treatment for macular degeneration using cells derived from induced pluripotent stem cells is in progress, though it had to be redesigned due to concerns about cancer-causing mutations.
A path of cautious optimism
While scientists have good reason to be interested in stem cells, miracle cures are not right around the corner. There are many questions about how to implement treatments to provide benefit safely.
In some cases, advertised stem cell treatments may not actually use stem cells. Recent research suggests mesenchymal stem cells, which are commonly isolated from fat, are really a mixture of cells. These cells have regenerative properties, but may or may not include actual stem cells. Calling something a stem cell treatment is great marketing, but without regulation patients dont know what theyre getting.
Members of the public (and grad students) are advised to moderate their excitement in favour of cautious optimism.
Katharine Sedivy-Haley, PhD Candidate in Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia
This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 26.1% by 2026; Rising Prevalence of Genetic Disorders to Fuel Demand, states Fortune Business... - May 28th, 2020
- EdiGene and Immunochina Announce Research and Development Collaboration to Develop Allogeneic CAR-T Therapy for Cancer - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc, Merck & Co.,... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - May 20th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Global Industry Review 2015-2019 and Forecast to 2025 - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Dr. Maro: Hope for aging, injured pets through stem cell, plasma therapies - Ellwood City Ledger - May 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - MR Invasion - May 4th, 2020
- How firms respond to opportunities created by pandemic will say a lot about their corporate cultures - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - P&T Community - April 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Baker City Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to reach US$ 5129.66 million in 2027 - Germany English News - April 6th, 2020
- Global transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By New Business Developments - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Share Forecast to 2027: Orion Pharma, Kringle Pharma, Inc., Aquestive Therapeutics, Apotex Inc, Bausch... - March 11th, 2020
- Best Market Research on Stem Cell Therapy Market, Industry / Sector Analysis Report, Regional Outlook & Competitive Market Share & Forecast,... - March 9th, 2020
- Dubai is the 'new Beverly Hills of the Middle East': Here's why - Gulf News - March 7th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.98 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Advice on Finding Legitimate Stem Cell Clinics - CBS News - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Best Clinics for Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico [2020 Prices] - February 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Size and Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - February 15th, 2020
- Health: Is this company onto an alternative to stem cell therapy? - Stockhead - February 12th, 2020
- Mystery of Leaky Gut Plumbed by UCSD Team, Which Created Mini-Guts - Times of San Diego - February 11th, 2020
- Stem cell clinics much-hyped treatments lack scientific support - Science News - January 31st, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - Yahoo News - January 25th, 2020
- Why stem cells could be the medical innovation of the century - World Economic Forum - January 17th, 2020
- Orthobiology Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends - PharmiWeb.com - January 15th, 2020
- Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace - January 7th, 2020
- Drugs, Biologics, and Regenerative Medicine in 2019: A Successful Year Ends with Promise of a More Challenging 2020 - JD Supra - December 18th, 2019
- Automation in Cell Therapy Manufacturing Is Driving the Growth of the Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period (2019-2025) - Press Release -... - December 14th, 2019
- Bioethics experts call on GoFundMe to ban unproven medical treatments - The Verge - December 10th, 2019
- Must-Reads Of The Week From Brianna Labuskes - Kaiser Health News - December 6th, 2019
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem of the problem | Columns | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 3rd, 2019
- Global cell therapy market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2018 to Showing Impressive Growth by 2027 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Business briefs - News - The Hutchinson News - November 3rd, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018