JACKSONVILLE, Fla. Researchers at Mayo Clinics campus in Florida have conducted the worlds first prospective, blinded and placebo-controlled clinical study to test the benefit of using bone marrow stem cells, a regenerative medicine therapy, to reduce arthritic pain and disability in knees.
The researchers say such testing is needed because there are at least 600 stem cell clinics in the U.S. offering one form of stem cell therapy or another to an estimated 100,000-plus patients, who pay thousands of dollars, out of pocket, for the treatment, which has not undergone demanding clinical study.
The findings in The American Journal of Sports Medicine include an anomalous finding patients not only had a dramatic improvement in the knee that received stem cells, but also in their other knee, which also had painful arthritis but received only a saline control injection. Each of the 25 patients enrolled in the study had two bad knees, but did not know which knee received the stem cells.
Given that the stem cell-treated knee was no better than the control-treated knee both were significantly better than before the study began the researchers say the stem cells effectiveness remains somewhat uninterpretable. They are only able to conclude the procedure is safe to undergo as an option for knee pain, but they cannot yet recommend it for routine arthritis care.
Our findings can be interpreted in ways that we now need to test one of which is that bone marrow stem cell injection in one ailing knee can relieve pain in both affected knees in a systemic or whole-body fashion, says the studys lead author, Shane Shapiro, M.D., a Mayo Clinic orthopedic physician.
Journalists, sound bites with Dr. Shane Shapiroare available in the downloads below.
MEDIA CONTACT: Kevin Punsky, Mayo Clinic Public Affairs, 904-953-0746, email@example.com
One hypothesis is that the stem cells we tested can home to areas of injury where they are needed, which makes sense, given that stem cells injected intravenously in cancer treatments end up in the patients bone marrow where they need to go, he says. This is just a theory that can explain our results, so it needs further testing.
Another explanation is that merely injecting any substance into a knee offered relief from pain.
That could be, but both this idea and the notion that a placebo effect could be involved would be surprising, given that some patients are still doing very well years after their study treatment ended, says Dr. Shapiro.
He adds that these findings are important because while use of a patients own stem cells for regenerative therapy is extraordinarily popular, the treatments may be untested and are often poorly regulated.
Stem cell clinics often offer expensive treatments for conditions that range from multiple sclerosis, lung and heart disease, to cosmetic treatments, such as facelifts. None of these techniques have been studied because clinics maintain that use of a patients own cells is not a drug.
But, depending on how they are processed and used, stem cells can, in fact, be regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as biological products or drugs requiring rigorous safety and efficacy approval processes. In early September, the FDA held scientific meetings to clarify how to regulate such practices.
Mayo Clinic researchers developed their study with FDA approval.
We feel that if we are going to offer any stem cell procedures to our patients, the science needs to be worked out, Dr. Shapiro says.
The study was conducted in Mayos Human Cell Therapy Lab. Researchers extracted 60 to 90 milliliters of bone marrow from each patient, then filtered it, removed all blood cells, and concentrated it down to 4 to 5 milliliters. The solution, which contained tens of thousands of stem cells, was injected into a patients knee using ultrasound-guided imagery.
We actually counted all of the stem cells with markers that are accepted by the FDA, and we made sure they would be able to survive inside the patient, Dr. Shapiro says. Counting is expensive. Most clinics just draw the cells from bone marrow or fat and inject them back into the patient without checking for stem cells, hoping that patients get better, he says.
Dr. Shapiro and his colleagues are currently designing new studies that will test whether the stem cells home to distant areas of injuries, as well as exploring other implications suggested in their findings.
Study investigators include Mayo Clinic in Florida senior author Mary L. OConnor, M.D., Shari E. Kazmerchak, Michael G. Heckman, and Abba C. Zubair, M.D., Ph.D. Dr. OConnor is now at Yale University.
Funding for this study was from Mayo Clinics Center for Regenerative Medicine.
About Mayo ClinicMayo Clinic is a nonprofit organization committed to clinical practice, education and research, providing expert, whole-person care to everyone who needs healing.For more information, visithttp://www.mayoclinic.org/about-mayo-clinicorhttps://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/.
- Select residents with high-risk health issues will start getting a booster shot starting tomorrow - Newstalk 610 CKTB (iHeartRadio) - August 31st, 2021
- Princeton To Offer Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In September - Reverb MSN Music - August 31st, 2021
- A Third Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended for Some Cancer Patients With Weakened Immune Systems - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - August 18th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Stem Cell Therapy in Cancer Market | Analysis and Opportunity Assessment from 2021-2028 |Aelan Cell Technologies, Baylx, Benitec... - August 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market Scope and Forecast By 2021-2027 I Top key players- Fresenius Kabi SA, Asahi Kasei Corporation, The Manomet... - August 5th, 2021
- The Oncology Institute of Hope and Innovation (TOI) Expands to San Diego County - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the blood - Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers - August 5th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Status and Precise Outlook During 2020 to 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 25th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Sustains Competitiveness by Adoption of Technological Innovations by 2021-2027 The ERX News - The ERX News - June 25th, 2021
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Market is Booming in Near Future with Speedy Growth, Key Players International Stem Cell Corporation, Takeda. The... - June 25th, 2021
- FDA to Crack Down on Stem Cell Clinics With Unproven Therapies - Bloomberg Law - June 8th, 2021
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Stock Analysis, Impact of COVID-19 on Sales, Business Opportunities, Trends 2020 (Chipscreen... - June 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Business Growth Tactics, Future Strategies, Competitive Outlook and Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 8th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market share, growth drivers, demand, supply, challenges, and investment opportunities by 2028 - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 18th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) is the Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine Clinic Myrtle Beach - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Comprehensive Analysis on Global Market Report by Company, by Dynamics, by Region, by... - April 18th, 2021
- Dad needs 300k for CAR-T cancer therapy in US or Israel - The Northern Echo - April 18th, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Market Trends and Forecasts, 2020-2030: Cell Processing Steps, Scale of Operations, End... - April 4th, 2021
- Hair Restoration Market Size Worth $13.6 Billion By 2028 | CAGR: 15.4%: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Aviv Clinics in Florida's The Villages Retirement Community Fights Aging - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- $16.89 Billion Nerve Repair and Regeneration Markets, 2026 - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Market Current Scenario Trends, Comprehensive Analysis and Regional Forecast to - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 8th, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market 2021 Revenue, COVID Impact Analysis Report, I - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2026||Boston Scientific Corporation, Alafair Biosciences,... - February 17th, 2021
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma Treatment Market 2021 Present Scenario on Growth Analysis and High Demand to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 17th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Is Projected To Reach 240.7 Million US$ By 2026 | Key Players, Market Dynamics, Market Trends, And Forecast. KSU |... - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Australia's best performing IVF clinics revealed - Queensland Times - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell and allergy clinics receive CBER untitled letters - Regulatory Focus - January 31st, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market: Stem Cell Therapy Research to Prominently Uphold Growth Outlook: Global Industry Analysis 2014-2018 and... - December 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Clinics: Effective or Pricey False Hope? - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - December 17th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 17th, 2020
- California's Proposition 14: short in the arm for stem cell research - BioNews - December 16th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Trends, Drivers, Challenges And Standardization To 2020-2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: The Next Big Innovation in Machinery Industry 2020|, Orange County Hair... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 27th, 2020
- Nancy Lane, MD: The State of Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis - MD Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Research, Clinical Study and Business Guidelines till 2026 | Chipscreen Biosciences Innate Pharma SA ... - September 12th, 2020
- Serving every person in the Summit County community - Summit Daily News - September 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Impact Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report Top Companies like VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - September 11th, 2020
- Clinics 'peddling false hope for autism with potentially hazardous 14,000 cell therapy' - Mirror Online - September 5th, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2025 - Express Journal - August 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2027 Register a Xx% CAGR In Terms Of Revenue: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - August 12th, 2020
- Joliet toddler with cancer missed 2nd birthday at home due to Chicago riots - The Herald-News - August 11th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Product, Technique, End Users and Region. - Good Night, Good... - August 11th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Outlook 2020: Company Profiles of Key Players Axogen, Baxter, Nevro, Nuvectra, Polyganics and Stryker -... - August 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 7th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Unproven stem cell therapies, and now, strong words from the FDA - BioNews - July 27th, 2020
- Choosing a Stem Cell Clinic: 3 Critical Questions You Must ... - July 23rd, 2020
- FDA extends deadline for stem cell clinics to comply with ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Post COVID 19 Pandemic Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 Top Players Include, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - July 16th, 2020
- Nebraska AG files lawsuit against Omaha stem cell clinic - Lincoln Journal Star - July 16th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020