Stem cell laws are the law rules, and policy governance concerning the sources, research, and uses in treatment of stem cells in humans. These laws have been the source of much controversy and vary significantly by country. In the European Union, stem cell research using the human embryo is permitted in Sweden, Spain, Finland, Belgium, Greece, Britain, Denmark and the Netherlands; however, it is illegal in Germany, Austria, Ireland, Italy, and Portugal. The issue has similarly divided the United States, with several states enforcing a complete ban and others giving support. Elsewhere, Japan, India, Iran, Israel, South Korea, China, and Australia are supportive. However, New Zealand, most of Africa (except South Africa), and most of South America (except Brazil) are restrictive.
The information presented here covers the legal implications of embryonic stem cells (ES), rather than induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). The laws surrounding the two differ because while both have similar capacities in differentiation, their modes of derivation are not. While embryonic stem cells are taken from embryoblasts, induced pluripotent stem cells are undifferentiated from somatic adult cells.
Stem cells are cells found in most, if not all, multi-cellular organisms. A common example of a stem cell is the hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) which are multipotent stem cells that give rise to cells of the blood lineage. In contrast to multipotent stem cells, embryonic stem cells are pluripotent and are thought to be able to give rise to all cells of the body. Embryonic stem cells were isolated in mice in 1981, and in humans in 1998.
Stem cell treatments are a type of cell therapy that introduce new cells into adult bodies for possible treatment of cancer, somatic cell nuclear transfer, diabetes, and other medical conditions. Cloning also might be done with stem cells. Stem cells have been used to repair tissue damaged by disease.
Because Embryonic Stem (ES) cells are cultured from the embryoblast 45 days after fertilization, harvesting them is most often done from donated embryos from in vitro fertilization (IVF) clinics. In January 2007, researchers at Wake Forest University reported that "stem cells drawn from amniotic fluid donated by pregnant women hold much of the same promise as embryonic stem cells."
The European Union has yet to issue consistent regulations with respect to stem cell research in member states. Whereas Germany, Austria, Italy, Finland, Ireland, Portugal and the Netherlands prohibit or severely restrict the use of embryonic stem cells, Greece, Sweden, Spain and the United Kingdom have created the legal basis to support this research.Belgium bans reproductive cloning but allows therapeutic cloning of embryos.France prohibits reproductive cloning and embryo creation for research purposes, but enacted laws (with a sunset provision expiring in 2009) to allow scientists to conduct stem cell research on imported a large amount of embryos from in vitro fertilization treatments.Germany has restrictive policies for stem cell research, but a 2008 law authorizes "the use of imported stem cell lines produced before May 1, 2007."Italy has a 2004 law that forbids all sperm or egg donations and the freezing of embryos, but allows, in effect, using existing stem cell lines that have been imported.Sweden forbids reproductive cloning, but allows therapeutic cloning and authorized a stem cell bank.
According to modern stem cell researchers, Spain is one of the leaders in stem cell research and currently has one of the most progressive legislations worldwide with respect to hESC research. The new Spanish law allows existing frozen embryos - of which there are estimated to be tens of thousands in Spain - to be kept for patient's future use, donated for another infertile couple, or used in research. In 2003, Spain's laws state that embryos left over from IVF and donated by the couple that created them can be used in research, including ES cell research, if they have been frozen for more than five years.
In 2001, the British Parliament amended the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 (since amended by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008) to permit the destruction of embryos for hESC harvests but only if the research satisfies one of the following requirements:
The United Kingdom is one of the leaders in stem cell research, in the opinion of Lord Sainsbury, Science and Innovation Minister for the UK. A new 10 million stem cell research centre has been announced at the University of Cambridge.
The primary legislation in South Africa that deals with embryo research is the Human Tissue Act, which is set to be replaced by Chapter 8 of the National Health Act. The NHA Chapter 8 has been enacted by parliament, but not yet signed into force by the president. The process of finalising these regulations is still underway. The NHA Chapter 8 allows the Minister of Health to give permission for research on embryos not older than 14 days. The legislation on embryo research is complemented by the South African Medical Research Council's Ethics Guidelines. These Guidelines advise against the creation of embryos for the sole purpose of research. In the case of Christian Lawyers Association of South Africa & others v Minister of Health & others the court ruled that the Bill of Rights is not applicable to the unborn. It has therefore been argued based on constitutional grounds (the right to human dignity, and the right to freedom of scientific research) that the above limitations on embryo research are overly inhibitive of the autonomy of scientists, and hence unconstitutional.
China prohibits human reproductive cloning but allows the creation of human embryos for research and therapeutic purposes.India banned in 2004 reproductive cloning, permitted therapeutic cloning. In 2004, Japans Council for Science and Technology Policy voted to allow scientists to conduct stem cell research for therapeutic purposes, though formal guidelines have yet to be released. The South Korean government promotes therapeutic cloning, but forbids cloning. The Philippines prohibits human embryonic and aborted human fetal stem cells and their derivatives for human treatment and research. In 1999, Israel passed legislation banning reproductive, but not therapeutic, cloning.Saudi Arabia religious officials issued a decree that sanctions the use of embryos for therapeutic and research purposes. According to the Royan Institute for Reproductive Biomedicine, Iran has some of the most liberal laws on stem cell research and cloning. Laws and regulations in Jordan allow stem-cell research. A center for stem cell research has acquired a license to begin operating in April 2017 at the University of Jordan.
Brazil has passed legislation to permit stem cell research using excess in vitro fertilized embryos that have been frozen for at least three years.
Federal law places restrictions on funding and use of hES cells through amendments to the budget bill. In 2001, George W. Bush implemented a policy limiting the number of stem cell lines that could be used for research. There were some state laws concerning stem cells that were passed in the mid-2000s. New Jersey's 2004 S1909/A2840 specifically permitted human cloning for the purpose of developing and harvesting human stem cells, and Missouri's 2006 Amendment Two legalized certain forms of embryonic stem cell research in the state. On the other hand, Arkansas, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota and South Dakota passed laws to prohibit the creation or destruction of human embryos for medical research.
During Bush's second term, in July 2006, he used his first Presidential veto on the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act was the name of two similar bills, and both were vetoed by President George W. Bush and were not enacted into law. New Jersey congressman Chris Smith wrote a Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005, which made some narrow exceptions, and was signed into law by President George W. Bush.
In November 2004, California voters approved Proposition 71, creating a US$3 billion state taxpayer-funded institute for stem cell research, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine. It hopes to provide $300 million a year.
Barack Obama removed the restriction of federal funding passed by Bush in 2001, which only allowed funding on the 21 cell lines already created. However, the Dickey Amendment to the budget, The Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009, still bans federal funding of creating new cell lines. In other words, the federal government will now fund research which uses the hundreds of more lines created by public and private funds.
In March 2002, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research announced the first ever guidelines for human pluripotent stem cell research in Canada. The federal granting agencies, CIHR, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada teamed up and agreed that no research with human IPSCs would be funded without review and approval from the Stem Cell Oversight Committee (SCOC).
In March 2004, Canadian parliament enacted the Assisted Human Reproduction Act (AHRA), modeled on the United Kingdoms Human Fertilization and Embryology Act of 1990. Highlights of the act include prohibitions against the creation of embryos for research purposes and the criminalization of commercial transactions in human reproductive tissues.
In 2005, Canada enacted a law permitting research on discarded embryos from in vitro fertilization procedures. However, it prohibits the creation of human embryos for research.
On June 30, 2010, The Updated Guidelines for Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Research outline that:
Canada's National Embryonic Stem Cell Registry:
Australia is partially supportive (exempting reproductive cloning yet allowing research on embryonic stem cells that are derived from the process of IVF). New Zealand, however, restricts stem cell research.
Stem cell laws - Wikipedia
- Select residents with high-risk health issues will start getting a booster shot starting tomorrow - Newstalk 610 CKTB (iHeartRadio) - August 31st, 2021
- Princeton To Offer Third Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In September - Reverb MSN Music - August 31st, 2021
- A Third Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine Recommended for Some Cancer Patients With Weakened Immune Systems - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - August 18th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Stem Cell Therapy in Cancer Market | Analysis and Opportunity Assessment from 2021-2028 |Aelan Cell Technologies, Baylx, Benitec... - August 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market Scope and Forecast By 2021-2027 I Top key players- Fresenius Kabi SA, Asahi Kasei Corporation, The Manomet... - August 5th, 2021
- The Oncology Institute of Hope and Innovation (TOI) Expands to San Diego County - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the blood - Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers - August 5th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Status and Precise Outlook During 2020 to 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 25th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Sustains Competitiveness by Adoption of Technological Innovations by 2021-2027 The ERX News - The ERX News - June 25th, 2021
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Market is Booming in Near Future with Speedy Growth, Key Players International Stem Cell Corporation, Takeda. The... - June 25th, 2021
- FDA to Crack Down on Stem Cell Clinics With Unproven Therapies - Bloomberg Law - June 8th, 2021
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Stock Analysis, Impact of COVID-19 on Sales, Business Opportunities, Trends 2020 (Chipscreen... - June 8th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Business Growth Tactics, Future Strategies, Competitive Outlook and Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 8th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market share, growth drivers, demand, supply, challenges, and investment opportunities by 2028 - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 18th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) is the Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine Clinic Myrtle Beach - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Comprehensive Analysis on Global Market Report by Company, by Dynamics, by Region, by... - April 18th, 2021
- Dad needs 300k for CAR-T cancer therapy in US or Israel - The Northern Echo - April 18th, 2021
- Global Automated and Closed Cell Therapy Processing Systems Market Trends and Forecasts, 2020-2030: Cell Processing Steps, Scale of Operations, End... - April 4th, 2021
- Hair Restoration Market Size Worth $13.6 Billion By 2028 | CAGR: 15.4%: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Aviv Clinics in Florida's The Villages Retirement Community Fights Aging - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- $16.89 Billion Nerve Repair and Regeneration Markets, 2026 - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapies Market Current Scenario Trends, Comprehensive Analysis and Regional Forecast to - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 8th, 2021
- Chemotherapy-Induced Myelosuppression Treatment Market 2021 Revenue, COVID Impact Analysis Report, I - PharmiWeb.com - March 8th, 2021
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2026||Boston Scientific Corporation, Alafair Biosciences,... - February 17th, 2021
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma Treatment Market 2021 Present Scenario on Growth Analysis and High Demand to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 17th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Is Projected To Reach 240.7 Million US$ By 2026 | Key Players, Market Dynamics, Market Trends, And Forecast. KSU |... - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Australia's best performing IVF clinics revealed - Queensland Times - February 11th, 2021
- Stem cell and allergy clinics receive CBER untitled letters - Regulatory Focus - January 31st, 2021
- Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Treatment Market: Stem Cell Therapy Research to Prominently Uphold Growth Outlook: Global Industry Analysis 2014-2018 and... - December 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Clinics: Effective or Pricey False Hope? - December 17th, 2020
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - December 17th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 17th, 2020
- California's Proposition 14: short in the arm for stem cell research - BioNews - December 16th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Trends, Drivers, Challenges And Standardization To 2020-2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Key Drivers, Growth Factors, Demands, Top Manufacturers- Merck Group, Becton,... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: The Next Big Innovation in Machinery Industry 2020|, Orange County Hair... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 27th, 2020
- Nancy Lane, MD: The State of Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis - MD Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Research, Clinical Study and Business Guidelines till 2026 | Chipscreen Biosciences Innate Pharma SA ... - September 12th, 2020
- Serving every person in the Summit County community - Summit Daily News - September 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Impact Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report Top Companies like VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - September 11th, 2020
- Clinics 'peddling false hope for autism with potentially hazardous 14,000 cell therapy' - Mirror Online - September 5th, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2025 - Express Journal - August 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2027 Register a Xx% CAGR In Terms Of Revenue: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - August 12th, 2020
- Joliet toddler with cancer missed 2nd birthday at home due to Chicago riots - The Herald-News - August 11th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Product, Technique, End Users and Region. - Good Night, Good... - August 11th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Outlook 2020: Company Profiles of Key Players Axogen, Baxter, Nevro, Nuvectra, Polyganics and Stryker -... - August 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 7th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Unproven stem cell therapies, and now, strong words from the FDA - BioNews - July 27th, 2020
- Choosing a Stem Cell Clinic: 3 Critical Questions You Must ... - July 23rd, 2020
- FDA extends deadline for stem cell clinics to comply with ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Post COVID 19 Pandemic Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 Top Players Include, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences,... - July 16th, 2020
- Nebraska AG files lawsuit against Omaha stem cell clinic - Lincoln Journal Star - July 16th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market Size, Share 2020 Supply-Demand, Industry Research and End User Analysis, Outlook 2025| Says MRE Reports - Jewish... - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Panel Market Is Forecasted To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Between And 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market 2020, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Impact of Covid-19 on Share, Size and Future Demand-... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.84% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020:Key market Insights, Drivers and Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges,... - July 8th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Global Projection: 2020 Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Lysosomal Disease Treatment Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Technologies, Trends and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Key Players, Regions, Type and Application Outlook Upto 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- The Trouble With Stem Cell Therapy - Consumer Reports - July 1st, 2020
- Orthobiologics Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Trending: Canine Arthritis Therapeutics Market Research by Key players, Type and Application, Future Growth to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Update on FDAs Comprehensive Regenerative Medicine Framework: Looming November 2020 Deadline Preceded by a Flurry of Letters from CBER and a New JAMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Future Development, Business Growth and Applications to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Graham Company and Regenexx Announce Innovative Partnership to Reduce Orthopedic Surgical Spend for Employers - Stockhouse - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Nerve Regeneration and Repair Market Growth Factors And Global Leading Players Are Abbott, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Nevro Corp.,... - June 18th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to Expand with Significant CAGR - WorldsTrend - June 12th, 2020
- R3 International Now Offering New Stem Cell Therapy Program for Lyme Disease in Mexico - PR Web - June 10th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market to Witness heightened Growth with Extension of COVID-19 Pandemic and Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR - News... - June 2nd, 2020