For years I have been working to educate the community about the predatory stem cell clinics out there. These clinics prey on vulnerable patients and their families. The clinics use hope as a marketing tool.
As the number of such clinics has mushroomed in the US and elsewhere the risk to both patients and to the larger stem cell community proportionately rises too. We are in a situation today where the dangers from such clinics have never been higher.
They are making millions in profits with little-to-no accountability. Their therapies dont have to work or even be proven safe. Its odd because many consumers seem to expect more from non-health-relatedbusinesses such as McDonalds or computer companies than from stem cell clinics.
Thousands of patients just in the US alone are regularly being subjected to experimental, non-FDA approved interventions. They are spending millions of dollars and being put at substantial risk.
Many patients are desperately looking for hope so they are very driven to find something that may help and are often willing to take unknown risks.
Some of us in the stem cell community are working to try to make some positive impact in this area.I believe we are making a difference, but overallthe dubious stem cell clinics are winning the war.
Why are the clinics prevailing so far?
In part it is because theyve been very smart about how they do business.
For instance, they do PR like pros, they manipulate some members of the media to almost in essence work as their spokespeople, they use social media to great effect, and theyve won over some powerful allies in the form of certain patient advocates who have become in effect stem cell clinic advocates.
An illustration of the cleverness of the clinics is their move to take advantage of Clinicaltrials.gov to list their non-traditional, profit-driven business as if it were real clinical trials. They even go so far as to say that just because their work is listed in that database that their offerings are FDA-approved. They arent.
The stem cell clinics are also winning because the FDA has been so passive and ineffective, particularly during the last two years. Further in the past the FDA and more specifically the CBER division within the FDA that is tasked with dealing with stem cells took steps to regulate the stem cell clinic industry through actions such as warning letters. In contrast, lately CBER hasnt done anything (at least apparent in the public domain and via FOIAs Ive submitted) on the stem cell clinic problem.
This apparent regulatory passivity couldnt come at a worse time either as the stem cell clinics proliferate like crazy in the US. Theres certainly a connection there. Less regulatory action = more dangerous clinics. Its frustrating because CBER of course remains very active with the good citizens of the stem cell world such as those in academia and legit biotechs withappropriately high expectations for them.
Hello, CBER, are you home? Are you paying attention? Patients need to be protected.
Ive tried talking with the FDA to get at the root of the stem cell clinic problem, but things remain nebulous. Are they afraid of being sued? Just too slow? Dont have the budget? Maybe part of the problem is the leadership transition at the FDA where there hasnt been a commissionerbut I think thats only part of the story.
The FDA took a healthy step last year in issuing draft guidance (see my interview here with the FDA on the draft guidance) to regulate fat stem cell products that are almost certainly biological drugs requiring approval, but thats been about it and those draft guidances have not been finalized. Until finalized, the draft guidances have no teeth. Meanwhile the fat stem cell clinics and others that sell unapproved stem cell biologics of various kinds such as amniotics, take advantage of this gray area to milk patients for millions of dollars all the while putting such patients at risk. The clinics are literally laughing at the FDA all the way to the bank.
Why should you care about this as a stem cell researcher, patient advocate, or other interested party? As has happened in the past, people are going to get hurt or killed at these clinics, and not only is that a tragedy unto itself, but also it will reflect badly on the whole stem cell arena. This magnifies the negative impact.
The unchecked stem cell clinic industry also has other negative effects such as muddying the waters for patients over just what is (and what isnt) a legit stem cell therapy and research. We are also seeing some at academic institutions starting to give in to temptation and work with the dubious clinics too probably for the big bucks involved. In short, the war isnt going well and the risks are growing.
So what do to?
We need to push the FDA to act more consistently, quickly, and forcefully on this problem. Maybe they think they are acting on it, but from my view it seems to be in slow motion. A recent poll on my blog indicates a larger sense within the stem cell community that the FDA isnt being effective on stem cell clinics. And by my own calculations, the number of stem cell clinics in the US alone is skyrocketing. The FDA doesnt have much time.
If more patients are injured or even die after getting questionable stem cell therapies, in a sense the FDA will bear part of the blame because of their ineffectiveness.
We also need organizations to step up to the plate and confront the clinics as well. When individuals such as myself and others including Leigh Turner and Doug Sipp do this, we have had some positive impact, but at great risk to ourselves. It is literally dangerous for us. I have been threatened with litigation and literally threatened to be attacked or killed.
Educational efforts can also be helpful and that is a major mission of this blog.
In the absence of timely FDA action, an out of control stem cell free market is churning. In January of thisyear I called it a wild west of medicine. It really feels that way. Theres demand so there will be supply. Something fundamental needs to change or the war is over and patients lose out, as does the stem cell field.
. Bookmark the
Read the original post:
Predatory stem cell clinics are winning the war; what can ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 26.1% by 2026; Rising Prevalence of Genetic Disorders to Fuel Demand, states Fortune Business... - May 28th, 2020
- EdiGene and Immunochina Announce Research and Development Collaboration to Develop Allogeneic CAR-T Therapy for Cancer - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc, Merck & Co.,... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - May 20th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy | Global Industry Review 2015-2019 and Forecast to 2025 - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Clinic Pushes Inhaled Stem Cell Tx, Delivered to Your Door - MedPage Today - May 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast & Opportunities, 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Dr. Maro: Hope for aging, injured pets through stem cell, plasma therapies - Ellwood City Ledger - May 10th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - MR Invasion - May 4th, 2020
- How firms respond to opportunities created by pandemic will say a lot about their corporate cultures - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - P&T Community - April 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Baker City Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to reach US$ 5129.66 million in 2027 - Germany English News - April 6th, 2020
- Global transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - March 24th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By New Business Developments - News by aeresearch - March 17th, 2020
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Treatment Market Share Forecast to 2027: Orion Pharma, Kringle Pharma, Inc., Aquestive Therapeutics, Apotex Inc, Bausch... - March 11th, 2020
- Best Market Research on Stem Cell Therapy Market, Industry / Sector Analysis Report, Regional Outlook & Competitive Market Share & Forecast,... - March 9th, 2020
- Dubai is the 'new Beverly Hills of the Middle East': Here's why - Gulf News - March 7th, 2020
- Global Skin and Wound Care Market Is Expected to Reach USD 25.98 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Advice on Finding Legitimate Stem Cell Clinics - CBS News - February 15th, 2020
- 10 Best Clinics for Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico [2020 Prices] - February 15th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Size and Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - February 15th, 2020
- Health: Is this company onto an alternative to stem cell therapy? - Stockhead - February 12th, 2020
- Mystery of Leaky Gut Plumbed by UCSD Team, Which Created Mini-Guts - Times of San Diego - February 11th, 2020
- Stem cell clinics much-hyped treatments lack scientific support - Science News - January 31st, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - Yahoo News - January 25th, 2020
- Why stem cells could be the medical innovation of the century - World Economic Forum - January 17th, 2020
- Orthobiology Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends - PharmiWeb.com - January 15th, 2020
- Where Are They Now? Top 3 Biotech Startups From NextGen Bio Class of 2018 - BioSpace - January 7th, 2020
- Drugs, Biologics, and Regenerative Medicine in 2019: A Successful Year Ends with Promise of a More Challenging 2020 - JD Supra - December 18th, 2019
- Automation in Cell Therapy Manufacturing Is Driving the Growth of the Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period (2019-2025) - Press Release -... - December 14th, 2019
- Bioethics experts call on GoFundMe to ban unproven medical treatments - The Verge - December 10th, 2019
- Must-Reads Of The Week From Brianna Labuskes - Kaiser Health News - December 6th, 2019
- Examining the ethics of embryonic stem cell research ... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem of the problem | Columns | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 3rd, 2019
- Global cell therapy market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2018 to Showing Impressive Growth by 2027 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Business briefs - News - The Hutchinson News - November 3rd, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - CollingwoodToday - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - NewmarketToday.ca - October 10th, 2019
- Tech review: Apps that enhance cellphone battery performance - Newsday - October 10th, 2019
- Better solutions for the replacement of joints - SciTech Europa - September 28th, 2019
- Opinion: Kudos to Google for banning stem cell ads. Other tech companies should follow - Yahoo News - September 24th, 2019
- Google banned ads for stem cell treatments. Others should follow - STAT - September 24th, 2019
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Data Analysis, Growth, Demand & Forecast 2019-2024: VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus,... - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Development Plans and Forecast to 2028 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs Disease) Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2016 2022 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- 'Stem cell' therapies offered at private clinics need to ... - May 22nd, 2019
- FDA Mounts Aggressive Push to Regulate Stem-Cell Clinics ... - May 16th, 2019
- Private clinics peddling of unproven stem cell treatments ... - April 29th, 2019
- Stem cell clinics make big claims but offer little ... - April 1st, 2019
- UCLA UCI Alpha Stem Cell Clinic | UCLA Broad Stem Cell Center - April 1st, 2019
- Stem cell clinics sued | Regenerative Medicine Foundation - April 1st, 2019
- Patients fleeced by overseas stem cell clinics? Now it ... - April 1st, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinics - eureka - February 15th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic finds surprising results on first-ever test of ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplant in Germany: Clinics, Cost, Price ... - February 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Chicago Illinois, Buffalo Grove ... - January 23rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy: FDA investigates clinics offering ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem cell market: Inside California's flourishing for ... - December 24th, 2018
- FDA Wants To Tighten The Screws On Stem Cell Clinics ... - December 24th, 2018
- Meet Our Doctors - Rejuva Stem Cell Clinic - December 24th, 2018
- What Stem Cell Clinics Do You Trust? | BioInformant - November 5th, 2018
- Stem cell laws - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2018
- FDA: Florida Stem Cell Clinic Violates Law | Health News Florida - September 15th, 2018
- Patients guide to treatments - The Niche - July 14th, 2018
- Adult Stem Cell Therapy in Utah Docere Clinics - October 18th, 2017
- At ClinicalTrials.Gov, Untested Stem Cell Clinics ... - October 13th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy and Its Revolutionary Purposes Guardian ... - Guardian Liberty Voice - September 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments ... - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unproven stem cell therapies - Gears Of Biz - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA to crack down on 'unscrupulous' stem cell clinics ... - August 31st, 2017
- FDA cracks on clinics using unapproved stem cell treatments - Pulse Headlines - August 29th, 2017
- FDA cracks down on clinics selling unapproved stem cell therapies - CBS News - August 29th, 2017
- Stem cell treatment potential in Canada - IMTJ - August 20th, 2017
- Dozens of US clinics sell unproven stem cell therapies for heart failure - Fox News - July 30th, 2017
- Broomfield's Regenexx in merger with Iowa company - Longmont Times-Call - July 12th, 2017
- North Central Texas Stem Cell Clinics in conjunction ... - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - Medical Xpress - July 8th, 2017