To all the cellphones lovers out there, yes there are now cellphone related syndromes and they ain't good
October29, 20197 min read
You're reading Entrepreneur India, an international franchise of Entrepreneur Media.
Cellphones and handheld gadgets have become an inseparable part of our busy lives. In addition to being the handiest and effective way of communication, they have become our quintessential partner. They frequently double up as a utility gadget an alarm clock, a calculator, a handy internet browser, etc. The numerous applications offer virtually unlimited uses. You can use your cellphone to control the lights in your home, play your favorite music or even monitor and track your physiology when you sleep. Your phone is now responsible for your smart living. All these features may seem overwhelming and extremely useful, but they come at a hidden cost. It is not the obvious cost you pay for your device and data connection but the hidden cost which you must pay as the cellphone invades your life.
What if we tell you there is something called as cellphone pain syndrome and you are suffering from it? Dont believe us?
Entrepreneur India got in a conversation with Dr. Sidharth Verma, Consultant Interventional Spine & Pain Physician, Masina Hospital who gave us an insight on the common cellphone syndromes that we suffer from and what it leads to.
Giving an introduction about it he said, While the symptoms of cellphone pain syndromes might seem different, they are a connected group that consistently occurs together as soon as the relationship with the cellphone is consummated. It is estimated that the average person spends almost three hours a day on the mobile or hand-held devices.
Repetitive use of handheld devices especially in awkward positions like sitting on a bus or standing in a train, puts undue pressure on the bones and muscles of the neck. Many studies have estimated that stress levels increase five to ten times while looking down at a smartphone or tablet.
Multiply the effect with long duration, add some bumps along the car/bus ride and you have a recipe for this lifestyle illness. Symptoms are neck pain, early morning stiffness and inability to look down on the screen for too long. Severe cases may have headache, dizziness, arm pain as well as upper back pain. The muscle imbalances can result in low back pain as well, said Dr. Sidharth Verma.
A recent study has linked the posture changes caused by the text neck syndrome to heart disease! Mild symptoms can be managed by rest (and avoiding forward bending of the neck), anti-inflammatory medicines and cold compressions. Exercises can help, he added.
However, unresolved symptoms should be quickly treated by a pain physician. The use of advanced image-guided procedures has made minimally invasive treatment possible for these pain syndromes.
Another simple way is to either look down with only your eyes (keeping your head at the same level) or simply lift the phone to the eye level, instead of looking down by tilting your head.
This one is quite popular with various names like the BlackBerry thumb, SMS thumb, Gamer's thumb, Washerwoman's sprain, radial styloid tenosynovitis, de Quervain disease/ tenosynovitis, designer's thumb, mother's wrist or mommy's thumb. It is caused by inflammation in the tendons which control the movements of the thumb.
Overuse of the same actions over some time can worsen the symptoms. Mild symptoms can be managed with rest (most important), anti-inflammatory medicines (oral or around the affected region) and cold compression. Severe symptoms not responding to these measures may need advance treatment modalities like Pulsed radiofrequency current or ultrasound-guided platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections, said Dr. Verma.
After the neck, wrist, and thumb, elbows are the most commonly affected areas. Also known as the cubital tunnel syndrome, the symptoms include burning, tingling, numbness or weird sensations on the inner side of the arm and elbow.
Verma highlighted other symptoms like weakness in the affected arm and inability to perform simple tasks like opening bottle lids. Treatment is essential, if left untreated, it may result in permanent weakness and clawing of fingers. Treatment ranges from lifestyle modification to interventional pain procedures however early treatment always leads to better results.
This is the second most common syndrome after neck pain occurs when the median nerve gets compressed at the wrist. This results in tingling, numbness, weakness, and pain in the thumb, middle and index fingers.
If you are a user of computer keyboards, you are more prone to this than anyone else. These symptoms may become permanent and must be treated by the earliest.
There are some things one needs to keep in mind when it comes to treating it. Treatment ranges from physical measures like exercises, habit modification and heat/cold application to interventional ultrasound-guided median nerve release. Your pain Physician can treat the condition and formulate a recovery plan, said Dr. Verma.
In addition to the above, cellphones are known to cause repetitive strain injuries in susceptible individuals.
Cellphone usage results in interference with sleep patterns and causes cognitive dysfunction. Emotional symptoms like lack of self-esteem, need for constant motivation and even depression can be attributed to these devices. Mobile gaming can result in dangerous consequences. World Health Organization has recognized gaming addiction as a mental disorder.
Giving a perfect example Dr. Verma said, Youngsters are very sensitive to the number of likes, shares and retweets on their posts and this social media takes a toll on their ability to forge long-lasting and meaningful relations. These effects can be minimized only by limiting cellphone usage and engaging in real-world physical activities.
Constantly staring at the cellphone screen can result in dry eyes and lessen tearing. While viewing content on your cellphone, one often forgets to blink. This can cause strain on the eyes and result in an increased incidence of infections. The blue-toned light of these handheld devices can result in early macular degeneration and blindness. Staring at the narrow screen (even widescreens are narrow compared to the normal field of vision) leads to eye fatigue and blurry vision.
All these symptoms are preventable but difficult to treat once they become chronic. Some tips are to increase text size, reduce screen brightness, use artificial tears (to help with dryness), blink frequently and take frequent breaks. If symptoms persist, you might need to visit an ophthalmologist, said Dr. Verma
If you are putting your phone in tight trousers, you greatly increase your chances of having what is known as the Tight-thigh syndrome. Also known as meralgia paraesthetica, this is a condition seen mostly in obese people with tight clothing. However, putting objects in your front pocket increases the risk manifold.
Symptoms include tingling, numbness and burning sensation in the outer thigh. Treatment revolves around lifestyle modification, radio frequency modulation, and ultrasound-guided cryotherapy.
Dr. Verma points out that, Surgery is overkill for these conditions and your pain physician can help with the non-surgical treatment options available. Many of these treatment options are minimally invasive but highly effective with excellent results. In case the usage pattern and posture is not modified, the symptoms can occur again.
Also Read:#9 Tips & Tricks to Not Let the Phone Addiction Destruct Your Body
- The PRP Alternative to Knee and Other Surgeries - Sahuarita Sun - February 19th, 2021
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market: Applications, Business Trends by Size 2021: Growth Statistics and Key Players Insights by Types, and Development Analysis... - February 19th, 2021
- Coping With Cancer Treatment's Effects on Skin - Curetoday.com - February 19th, 2021
- Ricki Lake Opens Up About Her Stunning Hair Transformation and How Sex Is the Best Anti-Ager - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- Why Hair Goes Gray, and How to Cover It If You Want To - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- The 9 Best Hair Growth Products That Work, According to Dermatologists - PureWow - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Teresa Cody Offers Solution For Health And Wellness In 2021 - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Maro: Swim, PRP and physical therapies highlight pet health successes in 2020 - The Times - December 31st, 2020
- Will Insurance Cover Knee Surgery and Alternative Treatments? - Green Valley News - December 31st, 2020
- I tried the infamous Vampire Facial - image.ie - December 31st, 2020
- 3 business updates to know on Williams Field Road in Gilbert - Community Impact Newspaper - December 31st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections: Purpose & Effectiveness - December 21st, 2020
- Business beat - The Spokesman-Review - December 21st, 2020
- Global Platelet Rich Plasma Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period... - December 18th, 2020
- Walking The Tight Rope With Dinelson Lamet | RotoGraphs Fantasy Baseball - fangraphs.com - December 18th, 2020
- Insiders Advice: Prevent Shoulder Surgery With These 5 Options (12/17/20) - Southeast Missourian - December 18th, 2020
- Facts you should know about Osteoarthritis - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- Garrett Richards is the epitome of a risk-reward free agent - Bless You Boys - December 18th, 2020
- Las Vegas woman allegedly held 'vampire facial' parties while posing as nurse - New York Post - December 1st, 2020
- PRP vs Corticosteroid Injections Which is the Ultimate Solution - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - November 24th, 2020
- What is Osteoarthritis and what are the symptoms? - Monitor - November 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma in Patients with Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears or Tendinopathy Leads to Significantly Improved Short-Term Pain Relief and... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Outlook 2020 Scope and Business Growth Overview by Regions, Latest Trends, and Opportunities Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet-rich Plasma Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 9th, 2020
- Wrist Pain: Causes and Available Treatment Options - Lifesly.com - October 30th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Analysis 2020 Growth Prospects and Future Scenario of Industry Size and Share and Market Insights Forecast to 2024 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Trend, Growth, COVID-19 Impact, Current Industry Figures and Forecast 2026 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Accident & Injury Solutions Is the Place to Throw Light on Regenerative Medicine in Mesa and Phoenix, Arizona - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Kim Kardashians changing face as she hits 40 and why shes probably about to reach for the Botox - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Laugh Lines Are Totally Normal How To Ease Them Sans Injections - mindbodygreen.com - October 17th, 2020
- PRP injections Treatment for Knee - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the Kim Kardashian vampire facial - Emirates Woman - October 10th, 2020
- Interventional Pain Management Specialist Dr. Kaliq Chang with Atlantic Spine Center offers tips on emerging treatment using your body's own cells -... - October 10th, 2020
- Why some COVID-19 survivors are losing their hair - 13WMAZ.com - October 7th, 2020
- A Painless Future Provides the Incentive Behind Cytonics - InvestorPlace - October 7th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Top Manufactures, Regions, Trends, Breakdown, Types, Applications, Market Size and Forecasts 2020-2027 - Crypto Daily - October 7th, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2020 Global Growth Rate by Recent Developments, Market Trends, Size, Share and Latest Technology, Forecast Research Report... - October 7th, 2020
- Love Island's Jack Fincham unveils epic weight transformation amid boxing return - Mirror Online - September 22nd, 2020
- Could platelet-rich plasma therapy be the answer to your hair loss? - VOGUE India - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Sky Hi News - September 19th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 14th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Sky Hi News - September 12th, 2020
- How Dr. Frank Roach Succeeded in the Field of Dentistry - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 12th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Male Pattern Baldness gets longer effect QR678 therapy, more effective than Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology Published... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: New Investment Opportunities Emerge to Augment Segments in Sector by 2026 - The... - September 4th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market 2020: Share Value Analysis of Top Key Players, Global Size, Consumption Analysis, Trends Forecast to 2024 | Industry... - September 4th, 2020
- New orthopedic provider joins team in Big Rapids - The Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Orange... - August 31st, 2020
- Platelet rich plasma and thicker hair | Empty Nest - NorthFulton.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Covid 19 Impact Analysis | Global Industry Trends, Growth, Share, Size and Forecast - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Porzingis hoping to play again this season if Mavs can get past Clippers - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 22nd, 2020
- When your hair falls off and leaves scars - The Star, Kenya - August 22nd, 2020
- PRP versus Hyaluronic Acid Injections for Knee OA: Cost-Effectiveness Analysis - DocWire News - August 15th, 2020
- Lowrie to have injections for knee pain relief - MLB.com - August 15th, 2020
- Yes, People Are Reportedly Losing Hair Due to Stress From the Pandemic - POPSUGAR - August 15th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market 2020-2028 Covid-19 Updates With Key Players Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Another Nice Thing We Can't Have in 2020: Shohei Ohtani's Pitching - FanGraphs - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging Growth Factors... - August 3rd, 2020
- PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma | Florida Sports and Family ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rockies vs. Athletics - Game Recap - July 28, 2020 - ESPN - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Share, Company Profiles, Emerging... - July 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Specialist - Farmington, NM ... - July 29th, 2020
- A & # 39; s slam Angels in the first MLB game with a new additional entry rule - NewsDio - July 26th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma |Therapy (PRP) Everything You Need to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: Why is the offense cold? Who is the Opening Day second baseman? - Chico Enterprise-Record - July 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Lip Augmentation Market Trends, Growth Insights, Share Estimation, Size Projection and Industry Dynamics By 2023 - Reported Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - The Mercury News - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Oroville Mercury-Register - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Woodland Daily Democrat - July 22nd, 2020
- What is Trending in Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? -... - July 21st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for the Knee: Does It Work? - July 21st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Living Well: PRP: A Promising Treatment - The Daily Progress - July 19th, 2020
- What Are the Different Types of Knee Injections? Pain Management - MedicineNet - July 16th, 2020
- Patient-Reported Outcomes After Platelet-Rich Plasma, Bone Marrow Aspirate, and Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injections for Symptomatic Knee... - July 16th, 2020
- These Are the Top Plastic Surgery Trends of the Last Decade, According to Top Surgeons - NewBeauty Magazine - July 15th, 2020
- Could Joe Maddon Lead The Angels To Cubs-like Success In 2020? - Prospect Insider - July 13th, 2020