BMC Bioinformatics Novel deep learning model for more accurate prediction of drug-drug interaction effects
The most efficient therapy to many diseases is often the result of a combination of drugs. Administration of more than one molecule in cases of cancer, hypertension, asthma and AIDS can lead to an increase in drug efficiency and decrease in toxicity and resistance by the target cells. Nevertheless, different molecules can also interact in a detrimental way for the body. Hence the importance of being aware if multiple drugs are prescribed to patients. Different studies have been carried out, trying to foresee possible drug-drug interactions inside the body. In vivo testing is often limiting because it requires a long time to screen different compounds. In silico studies, instead, have proved to be more powerful.
Figure 1, Lee et al., https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-019-3013-0
Computational methods, usually, take into account known characteristics of molecules, such as structure, target and side effects. An article published this month by Lee et al. in BMC Bioinformatics shows the formulation of a new deep learning model to predict drug-drug interaction, that takes into consideration three concepts: target similarity profiles (TSP), Gene Ontology (GO) term similarity profiles (GO term gives information about the gene function, where it acts inside the cell and in which biological process it is involved) and Structural similarity profiles (SSP). Three similarity profiles are traced for any given drug pair. These are then joined together to provide an estimation of the level of interaction between the two molecules. This approach allowed the authors to identify, with the same or greater accuracy, drug-drug interactions that were characterized using different methodologies.
BMC Cancer Molecular features of lung adenocarcinoma in young patients
Christian Darkin/Science Photo Library
Incidence of lung cancer in the population increases with age and it is rarely diagnosed in young people. It has been shown that clinic-pathological features of lung cancer in younger and older patients are not the same. However, previous research in the field has not shown conclusive results and still remains elusive.
In this study carried by researchers of Zhejiang University (China), specimens of cancer cells from 89 young patients (35 years old or younger) with adenocarcinoma were analyzed. The majority of patients were women and only 1 in 10 were smokers.
Prognosis was also seen to vary according to the mutations involved in cancer onset.
Next-generation sequencing was used to identify the mutation of 59 cancer-related genes. The most frequently mutated genes identified were ERBB2 (Receptor tyrosine-protein kinase erbB-2) and EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor). Fusion of ALK (Anaplastic lymphoma kinase) and ROS1 (receptor tyrosine kinase) genes was also characterized as responsible for oncogenesis. No significant correlation was seen between the mutations (or fusion) identified, the gender or the smoking habit of the patient. Overall, a prevalence of ERBB2 mutations was characterized in well/moderately differentiated tumors, while EGFR mutations and ALK fusions were identified in moderately/poorly differentiated tumors. Prognosis was also seen to vary according to the mutations involved in cancer onset.
BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth Why rural women do not use primary health centers for pregnancy care: evidence from a qualitative study in Nigeria
Wavebreakmedia / Getty Images / iStock
Maternal mortality rates in developing countries are still unacceptable and although policies were made by local governments, around 830 women still die every day because of pregnancy or childbirth complications. 99% of these deaths happen in developing countries and they are, in most cases, preventable.
Nigeria is one of the countries with the highest maternal mortality rate, with peaks in rural areas. In 2014, the government launched a program to provide primary health care for vulnerable populations. Despite the efforts, rural pregnant women did not make use of this service and are not receiving medical support during pregnancy and delivery.
Women also reveal that often the quality of care is not adequate
A qualitative study in BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth investigated the reasons underlying womens dangerous choice of not using the primary health care facilities provided. Discussion through focus groups allowed the authors to identify some major themes behind this trend. Participants underlined the difficulty in reaching the health centers, as paved road are non-existent and it is risky to use the bad roads available. Difficulty in obtaining a mean of transportation and distance to the facilities were also identified as important barriers.
Furthermore, participants stated that those clinics are not open at all times and taking a trip there and finding them closed discouraged them from using the health care facilities on other occasions.
Strikingly, women also reveal that often the quality of care is not adequate; there is not medication to alleviate the pain, waiting times are long, the environment is not friendly and the healthcare professionals are not supportive or competent. This, in addition to the belief that traditional medicine and divine intervention would do just as much as the staff of the health centers, pushes women to avoid seeking this type of professional help. Finally, participants also mentioned that the cost of care is arbitrary and often these facilities request patients to buy consumables from them, which can be expensive.
All things considered, this study suggests that the governmental solution to maternal mortality is still far from being adequate. Improvement in facility accessibility and in the quality of care would motivate women to rely on professional help during pregnancy. However, much work still needs to be done in this direction.
BMC Palliative care Designing and developing a co-produced theoretical and evidence-based online support for family caregivers of people with dementia at the end of life
and.one / stock.adobe.com
The majority of people with dementia live in the community but receive care mostly from family members or friends. Caring for a loved person affected by this condition can be extremely challenging, especially with the progression of the disease and towards end of life.
Researchers from the University College of London designed and developed an online palliative care support website, targeting real problems of carers of people with dementia at the end of life. Among the negative effects of taking care of a relative with dementia are depression, poor physical health and poor quality of life. Researchers are positive that this tool will help carers in their role and help to improve their overall well-being.
BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders Corticosteroid injection for plantar heel pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis
fcafotodigital / Getty Images / iStock
Heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis can be insistent and impair daily activities, such as walking or running. Around 7% of the population suffers from this condition. In many cases, rest or change of habits can be sufficient to relieve the symptoms with time. However, if symptoms persist, it can be necessary to resort to different approaches, such as physiotherapy or Corticosteroid injections as they help lessen pain and inflammation. It is still unclear why Corticosteroid injections are prescribed so often, since evidence of their mode of action are still lacking.
The Corticosteroid injections would act as a placebo
A systematic review published in BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders gathered together trials and studies on the topic and elucidated in which occasions injections are effective and when they are wrongly prescribed. The review showed that Corticosteroid injections prove to be effective in the short term, in comparison to autologous blood injection, orthotics or physiotherapy. However, in the long term, platelet-rich plasma or dry needling seem to have better results. Therefore, the Corticosteroid injections would act as a placebo. Remarkably, the effect of the steroid injections seems, therefore, minimal. Further clinical trials could provide us with a better understanding of the most effective ways of treatment for this condition.
See the article here:
Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network
- The PRP Alternative to Knee and Other Surgeries - Sahuarita Sun - February 19th, 2021
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market: Applications, Business Trends by Size 2021: Growth Statistics and Key Players Insights by Types, and Development Analysis... - February 19th, 2021
- Coping With Cancer Treatment's Effects on Skin - Curetoday.com - February 19th, 2021
- Ricki Lake Opens Up About Her Stunning Hair Transformation and How Sex Is the Best Anti-Ager - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- Why Hair Goes Gray, and How to Cover It If You Want To - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- The 9 Best Hair Growth Products That Work, According to Dermatologists - PureWow - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Teresa Cody Offers Solution For Health And Wellness In 2021 - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Maro: Swim, PRP and physical therapies highlight pet health successes in 2020 - The Times - December 31st, 2020
- Will Insurance Cover Knee Surgery and Alternative Treatments? - Green Valley News - December 31st, 2020
- I tried the infamous Vampire Facial - image.ie - December 31st, 2020
- 3 business updates to know on Williams Field Road in Gilbert - Community Impact Newspaper - December 31st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections: Purpose & Effectiveness - December 21st, 2020
- Business beat - The Spokesman-Review - December 21st, 2020
- Global Platelet Rich Plasma Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period... - December 18th, 2020
- Walking The Tight Rope With Dinelson Lamet | RotoGraphs Fantasy Baseball - fangraphs.com - December 18th, 2020
- Insiders Advice: Prevent Shoulder Surgery With These 5 Options (12/17/20) - Southeast Missourian - December 18th, 2020
- Facts you should know about Osteoarthritis - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- Garrett Richards is the epitome of a risk-reward free agent - Bless You Boys - December 18th, 2020
- Las Vegas woman allegedly held 'vampire facial' parties while posing as nurse - New York Post - December 1st, 2020
- PRP vs Corticosteroid Injections Which is the Ultimate Solution - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - November 24th, 2020
- What is Osteoarthritis and what are the symptoms? - Monitor - November 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma in Patients with Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears or Tendinopathy Leads to Significantly Improved Short-Term Pain Relief and... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Outlook 2020 Scope and Business Growth Overview by Regions, Latest Trends, and Opportunities Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet-rich Plasma Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 9th, 2020
- Wrist Pain: Causes and Available Treatment Options - Lifesly.com - October 30th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Analysis 2020 Growth Prospects and Future Scenario of Industry Size and Share and Market Insights Forecast to 2024 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Trend, Growth, COVID-19 Impact, Current Industry Figures and Forecast 2026 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Accident & Injury Solutions Is the Place to Throw Light on Regenerative Medicine in Mesa and Phoenix, Arizona - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Kim Kardashians changing face as she hits 40 and why shes probably about to reach for the Botox - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Laugh Lines Are Totally Normal How To Ease Them Sans Injections - mindbodygreen.com - October 17th, 2020
- PRP injections Treatment for Knee - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the Kim Kardashian vampire facial - Emirates Woman - October 10th, 2020
- Interventional Pain Management Specialist Dr. Kaliq Chang with Atlantic Spine Center offers tips on emerging treatment using your body's own cells -... - October 10th, 2020
- Why some COVID-19 survivors are losing their hair - 13WMAZ.com - October 7th, 2020
- A Painless Future Provides the Incentive Behind Cytonics - InvestorPlace - October 7th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Top Manufactures, Regions, Trends, Breakdown, Types, Applications, Market Size and Forecasts 2020-2027 - Crypto Daily - October 7th, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2020 Global Growth Rate by Recent Developments, Market Trends, Size, Share and Latest Technology, Forecast Research Report... - October 7th, 2020
- Love Island's Jack Fincham unveils epic weight transformation amid boxing return - Mirror Online - September 22nd, 2020
- Could platelet-rich plasma therapy be the answer to your hair loss? - VOGUE India - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Sky Hi News - September 19th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 14th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Sky Hi News - September 12th, 2020
- How Dr. Frank Roach Succeeded in the Field of Dentistry - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 12th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Male Pattern Baldness gets longer effect QR678 therapy, more effective than Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology Published... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: New Investment Opportunities Emerge to Augment Segments in Sector by 2026 - The... - September 4th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market 2020: Share Value Analysis of Top Key Players, Global Size, Consumption Analysis, Trends Forecast to 2024 | Industry... - September 4th, 2020
- New orthopedic provider joins team in Big Rapids - The Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Orange... - August 31st, 2020
- Platelet rich plasma and thicker hair | Empty Nest - NorthFulton.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Covid 19 Impact Analysis | Global Industry Trends, Growth, Share, Size and Forecast - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Porzingis hoping to play again this season if Mavs can get past Clippers - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 22nd, 2020
- When your hair falls off and leaves scars - The Star, Kenya - August 22nd, 2020
- PRP versus Hyaluronic Acid Injections for Knee OA: Cost-Effectiveness Analysis - DocWire News - August 15th, 2020
- Lowrie to have injections for knee pain relief - MLB.com - August 15th, 2020
- Yes, People Are Reportedly Losing Hair Due to Stress From the Pandemic - POPSUGAR - August 15th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market 2020-2028 Covid-19 Updates With Key Players Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Another Nice Thing We Can't Have in 2020: Shohei Ohtani's Pitching - FanGraphs - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging Growth Factors... - August 3rd, 2020
- PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma | Florida Sports and Family ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rockies vs. Athletics - Game Recap - July 28, 2020 - ESPN - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Share, Company Profiles, Emerging... - July 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Specialist - Farmington, NM ... - July 29th, 2020
- A & # 39; s slam Angels in the first MLB game with a new additional entry rule - NewsDio - July 26th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma |Therapy (PRP) Everything You Need to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: Why is the offense cold? Who is the Opening Day second baseman? - Chico Enterprise-Record - July 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Lip Augmentation Market Trends, Growth Insights, Share Estimation, Size Projection and Industry Dynamics By 2023 - Reported Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - The Mercury News - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Oroville Mercury-Register - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Woodland Daily Democrat - July 22nd, 2020
- What is Trending in Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? -... - July 21st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for the Knee: Does It Work? - July 21st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Living Well: PRP: A Promising Treatment - The Daily Progress - July 19th, 2020
- What Are the Different Types of Knee Injections? Pain Management - MedicineNet - July 16th, 2020
- Patient-Reported Outcomes After Platelet-Rich Plasma, Bone Marrow Aspirate, and Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injections for Symptomatic Knee... - July 16th, 2020
- These Are the Top Plastic Surgery Trends of the Last Decade, According to Top Surgeons - NewBeauty Magazine - July 15th, 2020
- Could Joe Maddon Lead The Angels To Cubs-like Success In 2020? - Prospect Insider - July 13th, 2020