Platelet-rich plasma (abbreviation: PRP) is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets. As a concentrated source of autologous platelets, PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that can stimulate healing of soft tissue. Platelet-rich plasma therapy is an old therapy and used extensively in specialities of dermatology, orthopedics and dentistry. Platelet rich plasma therapy utilizes growth factors present in alpha granules of platelets in an autologous manner. Main indications in dermatology for PRP are androgenetic alopecia, wound healing, face rejuvenation etc. For preparation of PRP, various protocols are used and no standard protocol exists but main principles essentially involve concentrating platlets in a concentration of 35 times the physiological value and then injecting this concentrated plasma in the tissue where healing or effect is desired. As of 2016, no large-scale randomized controlled trials have confirmed the efficacy of PRP as a treatment for musculoskeletal or nerve injuries, the accelerated healing of bone grafts, or the reduction of androgenic hair loss.
PRP was first developed in the 1970s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. PRP therapy began gaining popularity[where?] in the mid 1990s. It has since been applied to many different medical fields such as cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management.
The number of peer reviewed publications studying the PRP's efficacy has increased dramatically since 2007.
The efficacy of certain growth factors in healing various injuries and the concentrations of these growth factors found within PRP are the theoretical basis for the use of PRP in tissue repair. The platelets collected in PRP are activated by the addition of thrombin and calcium chloride, which induces the release of the mentioned factors from alpha granules. The growth factors and other cytokines present in PRP include:
As of 2009[update] there have been two PRP preparation methods approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Both processes involve the collection of the patient's whole blood (that is anticoagulated with citrate dextrose) before undergoing two stages of centrifugation (TruPRP) (Harvest) (Pure PRP) designed to separate the PRP aliquot from platelet-poor plasma and red blood cells. In humans, the typical baseline blood platelet count is approximately 200,000 per L; therapeutic PRP concentrates the platelets by roughly five-fold. There is broad variability in the production of PRP by various concentrating equipment and techniques.
In humans, PRP has been investigated and used as a clinical tool for several types of medical treatments, including nerve injury, chronic tendinitis,plantar fasciitis,osteoarthritis,cardiac muscle injury, and androgenic alopecia, for bone repair and regeneration, in plastic surgery,colorectal surgery and oral surgery
PRP has received attention in the popular media as a result of its use in treating sports injuries in professional athletes.
The cost of a PRP treatment in the U.S. has been quoted as $1000 out-of-pocket expenses, as it is usually not covered by health insurance.
PRP has been used experimentally in the treatment of empty nose syndrome
As of 2016[update] results of basic science and preclinical trials have not yet been confirmed in large-scale randomized controlled trials. A 2009 systematic review of the scientific literature found there were few randomized controlled trials that adequately evaluated the safety and efficacy of PRP treatments and concluded that PRP was "a promising, but not proven, treatment option for joint, tendon, ligament, and muscle injuries".
A 2010 Cochrane analysis on PRP use in sinus lifts during dental implant placement found no evidence that PRP offered any benefit.
As of 2011, PRP use for nerve injury and sports medicine has produced "promising" but "inconsistent" results in early trials.
A 2013 review stated more evidence was needed to determine PRP's effectiveness for hair regrowth.
A 2014 Cochrane analysis for PRT use to treat musculoskeletal injuries found very weak (very low quality) evidence for a decrease in pain in the short term, up to three months and no difference in function in the short, medium or long term. There was weak evidence that suggested that harm occurred at comparable, low rates in treated and untreated people.
A 2016 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials for PRP use to augment bone graft found only one study reporting a significant difference in bone augmentation, while four studies found no significant difference.
Since 2004, proponents of PRP therapy have argued that negative clinical results are associated with poor-quality PRP produced by inadequate single spin devices. The fact that most gathering devices capture a percentage of a given thrombocyte count could bias results, because of inter-individual variability in the platelet concentration of human plasma and more would not necessarily be better. The variability in platelet concentrating techniques may alter platelet degranulation characteristics that could affect clinical outcomes.
Platelet-rich plasma is used in horses for treatment of equine lameness due to tendon and ligament injury, wounds, fractures, bone cysts, and osteoarthritis.
Some concern exists as to whether PRP treatments violate anti-doping rules. As of 2010 it was not clear if local injections of PRP could have a systemic impact on circulating cytokine levels, affecting doping tests and whether PRP treatments have systemic anabolic effects or affect performance. In January 2011, the World Anti-Doping Agency removed intramuscular injections of PRP from its prohibitions after determining that there is a "lack of any current evidence concerning the use of these methods for purposes of performance enhancement".
According to the Baltimore Sun, Zach Britton had PRP injections in his left shoulder in March 2012, Orioles first baseman Chris Davis underwent two PRP injections to speed the healing and recovery of an oblique injury in April 2014, and Dylan Bundy had the procedure in April before undergoing Tommy John surgery in June 2014.
Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market Research : Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis | Allergan Plc., Pfizer... - November 25th, 2019
- A sound theoretical mechanism and clinical indication are not enoughthe case of Platelet Rich Plasma for Achilles tendon ruptures - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 25th, 2019
- Father-Son Team Creates Beauty and Healing - Atlanta Jewish Times - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Key Drivers and Opportunities Till 2028 - True Version - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2028 - Trade Examiner - November 18th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market 2019 || What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'MarketResearch.Biz' - True Version - November 15th, 2019
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019
- How Cell Phone Addiction Is Making You a Victim of Major Disabilities - Entrepreneur - October 31st, 2019
- Skill Checkup: Knee Injection - Medscape - October 28th, 2019
- Dr. Raj & Stem Cell Therapy Innovation - LATF USA - October 18th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market By New Business Developments, And Top Companies | Allergan Plc, Pfizer, Sanofi - Healthcare News - October 17th, 2019
- PRP and IRAP: Where nature meets science in horse injury treatment - Horsetalk.co.nz - Horsetalk - October 15th, 2019
- Protective mediators help heal tendon cells by attacking inflammation - Health Europa - October 15th, 2019
- Injection therapy has many faces | News, Sports, Jobs - Marquette Mining Journal - October 9th, 2019
- Michelle Wie exclusive interview: How golf's great prodigy grew up - The Telegraph - October 9th, 2019
- Understanding When and How to Treat Inflammation - Flagstaff Business & Online News | Northern Arizona Local Newspaper - Flagstaff Business News - October 6th, 2019
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment for hair loss: Is PRP therapy effective and safe? - Times Now - October 1st, 2019
- Plymouth Argyle trio get special injections to speed up their recoveries from injury - Plymouth Live - September 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Market to Expand with Increasing Demand for Cosmetic Surgeries - The Midland Weekly - September 25th, 2019
- 49ers pass rusher Dee Ford will play through knee tendinitis this season - 49ers Webzone - September 25th, 2019
- Best Anti-Aging Tips and Products for Skin and Hair - HarpersBAZAAR.com - September 25th, 2019
- Rays' Tommy Pham: Hampered by multiple injuries - CBSSports.com - September 21st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections For A Bald Spot - Glamour UK - September 21st, 2019
- Bell, Marte hope to return before season's end - MLB.com - September 21st, 2019
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018
- Autologous Blood Injection (ABI) & Platelet Rich Plasma ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections, PRP Injections ... - August 1st, 2018
- What Are Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections? - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - OrthoInfo - AAOS - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy & Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- Top Six Reasons Why Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Fail ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Halifax Naturopathic ... - October 4th, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Osteoarthritis ... - September 20th, 2017
- Quick scouting report on Milwaukee Brewers call-up Taylor Williams - Brew Crew Ball - September 3rd, 2017
- Education briefs - Port Townsend Leader - September 1st, 2017
- Running Doc on how to treat Plantar Fasciitis - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Here's Some Safer Methods To Replace Face Tightening Surgeries - News18 - September 1st, 2017
- Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It ... - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the ... - August 22nd, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Battle opioid crisis by treating pain without narcotics - Palm Beach Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Bears continue to mix and match on O-line with Kyle Long limited ... - Chicago Sun-Times - August 19th, 2017
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Study: Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media 5 things to know - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - August 19th, 2017
- First-in-man intraglandular implantation of stromal vascular fraction ... - Dove Medical Press - August 19th, 2017