NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, August 27, 2017, 6:00 AM
Dear Running Doc:
Good afternoon. I hope you are having a fun weekend. I have had PF for 1.5 years now. I have tried stretching, cortisone, PRP injections, etc. and nothing has worked.
I love to run but had to give up last year and would love to get back to running. I have tried a few orthotics but have not tried custom fitted ones. What would you recommend? I live in Houston. I have seen a few foot and ankle surgeons but nothing has worked.
Thank you for your advice. Where is your office? Do you treat people in your office for PF?
Best, Jeff W., Houston, TX
I and the New York Daily News hope you and family are safe during this horrific storm.
The good news is your PF (Plantar Fasciitis) should not prevent you from running for more than three weeks. In my office practice in New York City, no one has had to give up running due to Plantar Fasciitis.
Plantar Fasciitis is an inflammation of tight connective tissue on the bottom of the foot making up its arch. A simple routine of ice, stretching, golf ball exercise, custom orthotics and sometimes PRP is all that is needed to get you back to run soon. Lets go through them to be sure you are doing them correctly. Leaving one out may cause the Plantar Fasciitis to linger.
Ice: You must ice the painful area for 20 minutes twice a day. Use a Ziploc freezer bag filled with ice and water. The water raises the temperature to 32 degrees to prevent freezer burn. Just plant your foot on the ice water bag in the morning after you have woken up and the evening before you go to sleep. Avoid those ice contraptions that are too cold.
Stretching: The Plantar Fascia connective tissue attaches around the heal bone to the calf muscles. It acts as a fulcrum (as we learned in high school). Therefore, stretching both the calf muscles (gastroc and soleus) helps loosen the tight Plantar Fascia. Wall push-ups with the knee both straight and bent should accomplish this. When the Plantar Fascia is less tight, there is less inflammation.
Golf Ball Exercise: A hard golf ball rolled back and forth over the most painful part of your arch for 30 minutes daily should do the trick. Remember with this exercise that your condition will hurt more before it hurts less. Dont get discouraged. Some people use a frozen water bottle for this exercise. In my experience, using a golf ball once a day and doing the ice separately twice a day works better than trying to combine these two steps together.
Custom Orthotics: Custom full-length flexible orthotics are a necessary step to combat Plantar Fasciitis. They stabilize the ligaments and prevent it from coming back. Over-the-counter orthotics are as good as over-the-counter glasses. You do need orthotics custom made properly.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): First, Jeff, stay away from cortisone injections. Cortisone weakens soft tissues and, in my experience, causes an increased risk for further problems. If you do all the above steps, you may never need to get to PRP. If you have a bone spur coming out as a pointed projection from your heal, PRP may be necessary. Usually a PRP treatment is done with two treatments 24 to 72 hours apart.
I hope Jeff that the above information helps you to regain your running at a level that makes you comfortable. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write again.
Enjoy the Ride!
Lewis G. Maharam, MD, FACSM is one of the worlds most extensively credentialed and well-known sports health experts. Better known as Running Doc, Maharam is author of Running Docs Guide to Healthy Running and past medical director of the NYC Marathon and Rock n Roll Marathon series. He is Medical Director of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Societys Team in Training program. He is also past president of the New York Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine. Learn more at runningdoc.com.
Want your question answered in this column? Write to running doc at email@example.com.
See the rest here:
Running Doc on how to treat Plantar Fasciitis - New York Daily News
- Joint Pain Injections Market By New Business Developments, And Top Companies | Allergan Plc, Pfizer, Sanofi - Healthcare News - October 17th, 2019
- PRP and IRAP: Where nature meets science in horse injury treatment - Horsetalk.co.nz - Horsetalk - October 15th, 2019
- Protective mediators help heal tendon cells by attacking inflammation - Health Europa - October 15th, 2019
- Injection therapy has many faces | News, Sports, Jobs - Marquette Mining Journal - October 9th, 2019
- Michelle Wie exclusive interview: How golf's great prodigy grew up - The Telegraph - October 9th, 2019
- Understanding When and How to Treat Inflammation - Flagstaff Business & Online News | Northern Arizona Local Newspaper - Flagstaff Business News - October 6th, 2019
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment for hair loss: Is PRP therapy effective and safe? - Times Now - October 1st, 2019
- Plymouth Argyle trio get special injections to speed up their recoveries from injury - Plymouth Live - September 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Market to Expand with Increasing Demand for Cosmetic Surgeries - The Midland Weekly - September 25th, 2019
- 49ers pass rusher Dee Ford will play through knee tendinitis this season - 49ers Webzone - September 25th, 2019
- Best Anti-Aging Tips and Products for Skin and Hair - HarpersBAZAAR.com - September 25th, 2019
- Rays' Tommy Pham: Hampered by multiple injuries - CBSSports.com - September 21st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections For A Bald Spot - Glamour UK - September 21st, 2019
- Bell, Marte hope to return before season's end - MLB.com - September 21st, 2019
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018
- Autologous Blood Injection (ABI) & Platelet Rich Plasma ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections, PRP Injections ... - August 1st, 2018
- What Are Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections? - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - OrthoInfo - AAOS - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy & Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- Top Six Reasons Why Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Fail ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Halifax Naturopathic ... - October 4th, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Osteoarthritis ... - September 20th, 2017
- Quick scouting report on Milwaukee Brewers call-up Taylor Williams - Brew Crew Ball - September 3rd, 2017
- Education briefs - Port Townsend Leader - September 1st, 2017
- Here's Some Safer Methods To Replace Face Tightening Surgeries - News18 - September 1st, 2017
- Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It ... - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the ... - August 22nd, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Battle opioid crisis by treating pain without narcotics - Palm Beach Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Bears continue to mix and match on O-line with Kyle Long limited ... - Chicago Sun-Times - August 19th, 2017
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Study: Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media 5 things to know - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - August 19th, 2017
- First-in-man intraglandular implantation of stromal vascular fraction ... - Dove Medical Press - August 19th, 2017
- When should you see a podiatric surgeon? - WTOP - August 19th, 2017
- Sabathia on DL because of knee; Montgomery back - Daily Astorian - August 12th, 2017
- Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma remain hopeful of return to the Mariners' rotation - Seattle Times - August 10th, 2017
- Should You Think Twice About Cortisone? - HuffPost - August 8th, 2017
- For Redskins Coach Jay Gruden, in some cases, less is more - The ... - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Thunder journal: Focus turns to Alex Abrines' health entering EuroBasket - NewsOK.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Healing Osteoarthritis with Stem Cells - Anti Aging News - August 3rd, 2017
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - Hedley Orthopaedic Institute - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative treatments for knee arthritis - Palm Beach Post - July 9th, 2017
- Mariners shut down Hisashi Iwakuma's throwing program - The Seattle Times - July 7th, 2017
- Ask a Vail Sports Doc column: Cartilage restoration techniques for the knee - Vail Daily News - July 7th, 2017
- Surgery fit for a human, helps a gorilla feel more in his prime - WGN-TV - July 1st, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy and Osteoarthritis - PRP ... - November 21st, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - L.A. Beauty Skin Center - November 15th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections ... - November 14th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Connecticut & New England PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma ... - September 23rd, 2016
- What is PRP therapy? | OrthoNC - September 11th, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - Biocellular Renerative Medicine - October 31st, 2015
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Injections - Dr. Thomas F ... - October 30th, 2015
- The 5-Steps Behind Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) - Dr. Hal Brown - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections - Sports Medicine Specialists - October 12th, 2015
- PRP Injections | Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment for Heel Pain - October 12th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma - PRP - New Jersey - Dr E Magaziner - September 25th, 2015
- Knee Arthritis and Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - September 25th, 2015