Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
During the past several years, much has been written about a preparation called platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and its potential effectiveness in the treatment of injuries.
Many famous athletes Tiger Woods, tennis star Rafael Nadal, and several others have received PRP for various problems, such as sprained knees and chronic tendon injuries. These types of conditions have typically been treated with medications, physical therapy, or even surgery. Some athletes have credited PRP with their being able to return more quickly to competition.
Even though PRP has received extensive publicity, there are still lingering questions about it, such as:
Although blood is mainly a liquid (called plasma), it also contains small solid components (red cells, white cells, and platelets.) The platelets are best known for their importance in clotting blood. However, platelets also contain hundreds of proteins called growth factors which are very important in the healing of injuries.
PRP is plasma with many more platelets than what is typically found in blood. The concentration of platelets and, thereby, the concentration of growth factors can be 5 to 10 times greater (or richer) than usual.
To develop a PRP preparation, blood must first be drawn from a patient. The platelets are separated from other blood cells and their concentration is increased during a process called centrifugation. Then the increased concentration of platelets is combined with the remaining blood.
Although it is not exactly clear how PRP works, laboratory studies have shown that the increased concentration of growth factors in PRP can potentially speed up the healing process.
To speed healing, the injury site is treated with the PRP preparation. This can be done in one of two ways:
Research studies are currently being conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of PRP treatment. At this time, the results of these studies are inconclusive because the effectiveness of PRP therapy can vary. Factors that can influence the effectiveness of PRP treatment include:
According to the research studies currently reported, PRP is most effective in the treatment of chronic tendon injuries, especially tennis elbow, a very common injury of the tendons on the outside of the elbow.
The use of PRP for other chronic tendon injuries such as chronic Achilles tendonitis or inflammation of the patellar tendon at the knee (jumper's knee) is promising. However, it is difficult to say at this time that PRP therapy is any more effective than traditional treatment of these problems.
Much of the publicity PRP therapy has received has been about the treatment of acute sports injuries, such as ligament and muscle injuries. PRP has been used to treat professional athletes with common sports injuries like pulled hamstring muscles in the thigh and knee sprains. There is no definitive scientific evidence, however, that PRP therapy actually improves the healing process in these types of injuries.
More recently, PRP has been used during certain types of surgery to help tissues heal. It was first thought to be beneficial in shoulder surgery to repair torn rotator cuff tendons. However, the results so far show little or no benefit when PRP is used in these types of surgical procedures.
Surgery to repair torn knee ligaments, especially the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is another area where PRP has been applied. At this time, there appears to be little or no benefit from using PRP in this instance.
Some initial research is being done to evaluate the effectiveness of PRP in the treatment of the arthritic knee. It is still too soon to determine if this form of treatment will be any more effective than current treatment methods.
PRP has been used in a very limited way to speed the healing of broken bones. So far, it has shown no significant benefit.
Treatment with PRP could hold promise, however, current research studies to back up the claims in the media are lacking. Although PRP does appear to be effective in the treatment of chronic tendon injuries about the elbow, the medical community needs more scientific evidence before it can determine whether PRP therapy is truly effective in other conditions.
Even though the success of PRP therapy is still questionable, the risks associated with it are minimal: There may be increased pain at the injection site, but the incidence of other problems infection, tissue damage, nerve injuries appears to be no different from that associated with cortisone injections.
If you are considering treatment with PRP, be sure to check your eligibility with your health insurance carrier. Few insurance plans, including workers' compensation plans, provide even partial reimbursement.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - OrthoInfo - AAOS
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019
- How Cell Phone Addiction Is Making You a Victim of Major Disabilities - Entrepreneur - October 31st, 2019
- Skill Checkup: Knee Injection - Medscape - October 28th, 2019
- Dr. Raj & Stem Cell Therapy Innovation - LATF USA - October 18th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market By New Business Developments, And Top Companies | Allergan Plc, Pfizer, Sanofi - Healthcare News - October 17th, 2019
- PRP and IRAP: Where nature meets science in horse injury treatment - Horsetalk.co.nz - Horsetalk - October 15th, 2019
- Protective mediators help heal tendon cells by attacking inflammation - Health Europa - October 15th, 2019
- Injection therapy has many faces | News, Sports, Jobs - Marquette Mining Journal - October 9th, 2019
- Michelle Wie exclusive interview: How golf's great prodigy grew up - The Telegraph - October 9th, 2019
- Understanding When and How to Treat Inflammation - Flagstaff Business & Online News | Northern Arizona Local Newspaper - Flagstaff Business News - October 6th, 2019
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment for hair loss: Is PRP therapy effective and safe? - Times Now - October 1st, 2019
- Plymouth Argyle trio get special injections to speed up their recoveries from injury - Plymouth Live - September 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Market to Expand with Increasing Demand for Cosmetic Surgeries - The Midland Weekly - September 25th, 2019
- 49ers pass rusher Dee Ford will play through knee tendinitis this season - 49ers Webzone - September 25th, 2019
- Best Anti-Aging Tips and Products for Skin and Hair - HarpersBAZAAR.com - September 25th, 2019
- Rays' Tommy Pham: Hampered by multiple injuries - CBSSports.com - September 21st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections For A Bald Spot - Glamour UK - September 21st, 2019
- Bell, Marte hope to return before season's end - MLB.com - September 21st, 2019
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018
- Autologous Blood Injection (ABI) & Platelet Rich Plasma ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections, PRP Injections ... - August 1st, 2018
- What Are Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections? - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy & Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- Top Six Reasons Why Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Fail ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Halifax Naturopathic ... - October 4th, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Osteoarthritis ... - September 20th, 2017
- Quick scouting report on Milwaukee Brewers call-up Taylor Williams - Brew Crew Ball - September 3rd, 2017
- Education briefs - Port Townsend Leader - September 1st, 2017
- Running Doc on how to treat Plantar Fasciitis - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Here's Some Safer Methods To Replace Face Tightening Surgeries - News18 - September 1st, 2017
- Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It ... - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the ... - August 22nd, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Battle opioid crisis by treating pain without narcotics - Palm Beach Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Bears continue to mix and match on O-line with Kyle Long limited ... - Chicago Sun-Times - August 19th, 2017
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Study: Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media 5 things to know - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - August 19th, 2017
- First-in-man intraglandular implantation of stromal vascular fraction ... - Dove Medical Press - August 19th, 2017
- When should you see a podiatric surgeon? - WTOP - August 19th, 2017
- Sabathia on DL because of knee; Montgomery back - Daily Astorian - August 12th, 2017
- Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma remain hopeful of return to the Mariners' rotation - Seattle Times - August 10th, 2017
- Should You Think Twice About Cortisone? - HuffPost - August 8th, 2017
- For Redskins Coach Jay Gruden, in some cases, less is more - The ... - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Thunder journal: Focus turns to Alex Abrines' health entering EuroBasket - NewsOK.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Healing Osteoarthritis with Stem Cells - Anti Aging News - August 3rd, 2017
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - Hedley Orthopaedic Institute - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative treatments for knee arthritis - Palm Beach Post - July 9th, 2017
- Mariners shut down Hisashi Iwakuma's throwing program - The Seattle Times - July 7th, 2017
- Ask a Vail Sports Doc column: Cartilage restoration techniques for the knee - Vail Daily News - July 7th, 2017
- Surgery fit for a human, helps a gorilla feel more in his prime - WGN-TV - July 1st, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy and Osteoarthritis - PRP ... - November 21st, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - L.A. Beauty Skin Center - November 15th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections ... - November 14th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016