NEW YORK and GAINESVILLE, Fla., Jan. 13, 2020 /PRNewswire/ --The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and AavantiBio, a biotechnology company developing a gene-targeting therapy for Friedreich's ataxia (FA), today announced the award of MDA Venture Philanthropy (MVP) funding totaling $1,076,232 to advance AavantiBio's phase 2 clinical trial of a gene-replacement therapy for the disease.
MVP is MDA's drug development program, which is exclusively focused on funding the discovery and clinical application of treatments and cures for neuromuscular disorders. MVP evaluates and makes targeted investments in for-profit and not-for-profit companies and academics developing therapeutics.
FA is a rare, hereditary disease that causes damage to parts of the spinal cord and brain, and there is currently no cure. AavantiBio was founded with the aim of developing an effective treatment for the disease and improving the lives of FA patients.
"With the approval of several first-time gene-targeting therapies for neuromuscular diseases over the past several years, including the first-ever gene-replacement therapy for spinal muscular atrophy, our community should have much to hope for as more and more therapies continue to be developed," says Lynn O'Connor Vos, MDA's president and CEO. "MDA is thrilled to be a part of the quest to help further develop the first gene-targeting therapy for the treatment of Friedreich's ataxia. By partnering with AavantiBio, together we can address the unmet need faced by patients who live with this genetic disease, for which there are still no treatments and no cures."
Co-founders Manuela Corti, PT, PhD, assistant professor of Pediatrics at the University of Florida, Gainesville, and Barry Byrne, MD, PhD, associate chair of Pediatrics and director of the Powell Gene Therapy Center at UF, started working with the FA community five years ago and are thrilled about their new partnership with MDA.
"This is a great opportunity for AavantiBio, and we're thankful to the MDA for their generous contribution," Dr. Corti says. "We hope to strengthen our collaboration as we work together on this project."
Dr. Corti and Dr. Byrne aim to include both adults and children who have FA in their clinical trials, paving the way for new solutions.
"We're delighted to take the next step in fulfilling our commitment to patients and families living with FA based on this investment from MDA," Dr. Byrne says. "We're looking forward to initiating screening for the first clinical study and a pivotal study in FA before the end of the year. The endorsement and investment from the MDA will be key to our programmatic growth."
MDA's investment will help accelerate AavantiBio's mission and begin production of the clinical gene vector for its therapy program. Clinical trials are expected to begin in 2020.
Dr. Corti was previously awarded an MDA research grant to develop and test a gene-replacement therapy in a mouse model of FA. With the current funding, AavantiBio will sponsor a study at the University of Florida led by Sub Subramony, MD, professor of Neurology. The clinical trial will assess changes in neurological and cardiac function in patients with FA treated with both intravenous (systemic) and intrathecal (into-the-spine) injections of the company's gene-replacement therapy for the mutated FXN gene.
About Friedreich's ataxia
FA is a mitochondrial disease. Mutations in the frataxin gene (FXN) lead to decreased production of the frataxin protein, resulting in diminished energy production in cells, including those of the nervous system and heart. FA's major neurological symptoms include muscle weakness and ataxia, or a loss of balance and coordination. FA mostly affects the spinal cord and the peripheral nervesthat connect the spinal cord to the body's muscles and sensory organs, but it can also affect the cerebellum (causing ataxia) and heart. The prevalence of FA has been estimated at 1 in every 50,000 individuals worldwide. Symptoms typically begin between the ages of 5 and 15 years, and the rate of progression varies from person to person. There currently are no effective cures or treatments for FA.
Founded in 2017 and based inGainesville, Fla., AavantiBio is a biotechnology companyfounded on the vision of creating the first effective treatment for FA. The company's gene-replacement therapy approach uses an adeno-associated virus (AAV) vector to deliver a functional copy of the FXN gene to a patient's cells.
The co-founders bring more than 30 years of research experience in the field of neuromuscular disease, including their current work focusing on FA. Dr. Corti has more than 10 years of research experience in gene therapy approaches for the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Pompe disease. Dr. Byrne has made significant contributions to theunderstanding and treatment of Pompe disease. He was previously awarded nearly $2 million in MDA funding to conduct foundational research in developing and testing AAV vectors in animal models of muscular dystrophy, and he was the first to show that AAV vectors are able to effectively express therapeutic genes in striated muscle cells.
About the Muscular Dystrophy Association
MDA is committed to transforming the lives of people affected by muscular dystrophy, ALS, and related neuromuscular diseases. We do this through innovations in science and innovations in care. As the largest source of funding for neuromuscular disease research outside of the federal government, MDA has committed more than $1 billion since our inception to accelerate the discovery of therapies and cures. Research we have supported is directly linked to approved, life-changing therapies across multiple neuromuscular diseases. We support the largest network of multidisciplinary clinics providing best-in-class care at more than 150 of the nation's top medical institutions, and each year thousands of children and young adults learn vital life skills and gain independence at MDA Summer Camp and through recreational programs. For more information visitmda.org.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mda-awards-venture-philanthropy-funding-of-more-than-1m-to-aavantibio-to-develop-gene-targeting-therapy-for-friedreichs-ataxia-300985256.html
SOURCE Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Nucleic Acid Based Gene Therapy Market Analysis Of Industry Trends And Market Growth Opportunities As Per The Business Research Company's Nucleic Acid... - October 5th, 2021
- STIs Reached Record Highs, Then COVID-19 Hit. Test Makers Now Ponder What's Next - GenomeWeb - October 5th, 2021
- Greater Gift, AGTC, and 2020 On-site Partner To Honor & Celebrate Clinical Trial Participants and - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Huntingtons disease: northern Scotland has one of world's highest rates and rising sharply here's why - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2021
- X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028 | Sanofi, Pfizer, J&J, Abbott, Merck, GSK UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The... - August 31st, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Segmentation, Share, Size, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 31st, 2021
- Bedford Biotech Restores "Meaningful Vision" in Blind Patients With Gene Therapyand May Soon Go Public Dallas Innovates -... - June 25th, 2021
- 'Like turning back the clock': Windsor dad with cystic fibrosis among patients seeking access to new therapy - CBC.ca - June 25th, 2021
- Germline genetic testing can benefit all cancer patients as a routine practice in cancer care - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is an Authorized Treatment Center for Ide-cel CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - May 15th, 2021
- Discovery of a new genetic cause of hearing loss illuminates how inner ear works - India Education Diary - May 15th, 2021
- Castle Biosciences Announces Pipeline Initiative to Develop Genomic Test Targeting Systemic Therapy Response in Patients with Psoriasis, Atopic... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020