Poland is rolling out Biogensspinal muscular atrophy (SMA) therapy Spinraza (nusinersen) at a faster pace than any country that has approved it, Polish experts say.
Since the first injection in May 2019, about 400 of the 830 patients in Polands SMA registry have either started taking Spinraza or been put on a waiting list to obtain it, according to Kacper Rucinski, president of Warsaw-basedFundacja SMA. A commission of top neurologists is steadily adding patients to the list after determining that they qualify for National Health Service coverage of the treatment.
Longtime SMA expert Anna Lusakowska, a doctor at the Warsaw Medical University Neurology Clinic, predicted that Polish patients who want Spinraza will eventually get the medicine.
However, not all 830 will opt for it, said Rucinski, who along with Lusakowska spoke with SMA News Today by phone. Some patients with the muscle-wasting disease are receiving Roches risdiplam or Novartis branaplam in clinical trials. They would likely stay with their current treatments once those two medications are approved by the Health Ministry and covered by the national health insurance program.
Spinraza is very expensive; both risdiplam and branaplam also will be, upon approval. The U.S. retail price of Spinraza is $750,000 for the first year and $375,000 in subsequent years, although Poland, like all members of the European Union, negotiated its own price with Biogen.
Spinraza first became available in 2017 to a few dozen Polish patients under Biogens expanded-access program. In December 2018 18 months after Spinraza received European Union approval Poland authorized its National Health Service to pay for it.
Hospitals in three of Polands 16 regions spearheaded Spinraza treatment in 2017. Lusakowskas hospital, in the Masovia region which includes Warsaw joined them last year.
Not only did most of the regions outside Warsaw have no experience with Spinraza; they had never even treated SMA patients before, said Lusakowska, who started Polands SMA registry in 2010.
About 120 of Polands SMA patients live in the Warsaw area. As a result, the neurology programs at Warsaw Medical University and Childrens Memorial Health Institute in Warsaw became leaders in treating the disease decades ago.
After the national health insurance program began covering Spinraza, Lusakowskas neurology department decided to administer the medicine to as many people with SMA as possible. Thats led to long hours for staffers, but also has allowed Lusakowskas team to develop a level of expertise solid enough to share with inexperienced practitioners in other regions.
Patients with severe curvature of the spine are a special challenge, even if they have had previous surgery to correct their scoliosis, she said.Radiologists at Lusakowskas clinic use a computerized tomography (CT) scanner to administer injections to individuals with badly curved spines. The scanner shows the best locations for injecting those with scoliosis.
Four months after Polands first non-early-access injection, all regions are offering Spinraza, although it hasnt been easy, Lusakowska said. The surge in Spinraza patients since May has overwhelmed neurological clinics, which in addition to SMA deal with strokes, epilepsy and many other nerve-related conditions.
Lusakowska began her neurology career as an SMA specialist in the mid-1990s, just asscientists were discovering the cause of SMA defects in the SMN1 gene.She and other SMA specialists hoped researchers would develop a therapy quickly.
I worked with SMA patients for 30 years before a treatment came, Lusakowska said. Its really wonderful that I can finally do something for them.
The first Spinraza injection is emotional for patient, family and doctor alike, she said.
Usually the patient cries, the mother cries they have been waiting such a long time for this, she said.
Lusakowska said she can deal with the expressions of joy, even if they include tears. Its harder when the emotion is the anguish of patients calling to complain that they have had to wait such a long time for Spinraza but are still not receiving it, she said.
Like most countries, Poland prioritizes Spinrazas roll-out by age and disease severity. Children younger than 3 years old withSMA type 1 the worst form of the disease get top priority because research has shown they can benefit the most.
Adults with advanced stages of SMA are believed to gain less from treatment, though the main focus of Lusakowskas clinic is adults. She and her colleagues are administering Spinraza to 35 people in their 20s and older with different types of SMA, and expect to treat 70 eventually.
The 35 include seven type 1 patients. Six began taking Spinraza in Belgium under the expanded-access program, but returned to Poland after the National Health Service agreed to cover the treatment costs. The clinic also treats several children above the age of 3.
Lusakowska said Spinraza benefits all her SMA patients. Some improvements are obvious to doctors, while others are not but patients say it is helping them. Within a year, her clinic will have enough month-to-month, muscle-strength comparison data for a scientific assessment of Spinrazas effectiveness.
Some improvements have been amazing, Lusakowska said. That is the case, for example, with a 4-year-old Polish girl with SMA type 2 who began taking Spinraza in France when she was a few months old. Doctors had diagnosed her SMA in the womb after her older brother developed type 2. He also receives Spinraza.
Her brother is improving all the time with Spinraza, Lusakowska said. He is not walking, but he is much stronger. But his sister, who began receiving Spinraza when she was 3 months old, is walking, jumping, dancing shes a normal girl.
Another heartening sign is that, thanks to Spinraza, some patients who had been on detachable ventilation devices 16 hours a day have been able to reduce that to 10 hours a day.
Similarly, some patients say their voices are becoming much stronger as Spinraza strengthens their larynx muscles, Lusakowska said.
She praised the Health Ministry for deciding to cover all SMA patients who want Spinraza, rather than restricting it only to those in certain categories.
We dont have to turn anyone away, she said. We can tell all our patients that maybe not this month, but next month, we can treat you.
Hal Foster is a veteran journalist at the Los Angeles Times and other news organizations in the United States and Japan, and a longtime journalism professor.In addition to the LA Times, he worked at the Portland Oregonian and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, was executive editor of Pacific Stars & Stripes in Tokyo, and wrote about the war in Ukraine for USA Today.He has a Ph.D. in journalism from the University of North Carolina, and has taught in the United States, Kazakhstan and Ukraine, where he was a Fulbright scholar.
Total Posts: 85
Ana holds a PhD in Immunology from the University of Lisbon and worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM) in Lisbon, Portugal. She graduated with a BSc in Genetics from the University of Newcastle and received a Masters in Biomolecular Archaeology from the University of Manchester, England. After leaving the lab to pursue a career in Science Communication, she served as the Director of Science Communication at iMM.
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is an Authorized Treatment Center for Ide-cel CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - May 15th, 2021
- Discovery of a new genetic cause of hearing loss illuminates how inner ear works - India Education Diary - May 15th, 2021
- Castle Biosciences Announces Pipeline Initiative to Develop Genomic Test Targeting Systemic Therapy Response in Patients with Psoriasis, Atopic... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- The good news about breast cancer - The Gazette - October 29th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Analysis by 24 Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Trend & Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Research on Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2019 and Analysis to 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market 2020-2027 Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook By Top Leaders : Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and... - October 17th, 2020
- CHOROIDEREMIA TREATMENT MARKET BUSINESS GROWTH BY COPERNICUS THERAPEUTICS, INC, WIZE PHARMA INC, SPARK THERAPEUTICS, INC - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market: Increase in Demand for Regenerative Medicines to Accelerate Market Growth - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - October 10th, 2020
- Pediatric Neuroblastoma Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics and Opportunity During 2020 to 2026 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020