As part of her medical training, North Carolina pediatrician Elizabeth Jalazo had studied a little about Angelman syndrome.
I knew enough about it to answer a board question, but I didnt know the complexity of the disorder, she said. Im sure most general pediatricians would share the same sentiment.
Then Jalazo gave birth to a daughter with Angelman and she quickly became an expert on the disease. Evelyn, now 5, is the second of three siblings; theres also Anna, 7, and Charlie, 2.
I didnt know immediately that she had Angelman, but I knew there was something different about Evelyn within five days of her being born, Jalazo said. As most families, we endured a yearlong odyssey of diagnosis. And that was only because I was a clinician at a hospital that had a developmental center where I could push for her to be evaluated.
At the time, Jalazo was a chief resident at Baltimores Kennedy Krieger Institute a division of Johns Hopkins University so I could pick up the phone and ask a professional favor. I basically skipped 9-12 months of wait time.
Jalazo now is a full-time clinician at the University of North Carolina (UNC) School of Medicine in Chapel Hill, where she sees kids with Angelman, Hunter syndrome, and other genetic disorders.
For the past six months, shes also been director of clinical integration at the Chicago-based Angelman Syndrome Foundation (ASF), a nonprofit group dedicated to finding a cure for the severe neurological disorder that affects Evelyn and about 25,000 other Americans.
The U.S. network of specialized clinics Jalazo oversees is now set to more than double in size from eight to 18 thanks to a new partnership between the ASF and the Dup15q Alliance. The network also includes four non-U.S. clinics, in Argentina, Canada, Israel, and the Netherlands.
The 15q Clinical Research Network, as the joint effort is known, will serve patients with Angelman and dup15q syndromes both rare conditions that stem from mutations in the same region of chromosome 15.
In Angelman, the mutation is most commonly a microdeletion on chromosome 15 encompassing theUBE3A gene. This prevents the production of the UBE3A enzyme in certain brain regions.
Partnering with the Dup15q Alliance will allow us to increase our reach to the AS community and provide the best care for our families, Amanda Moore,the foundations CEO, said in a press release. Comprehensive and specific care is critical for AS families throughout the stages of their journey by partnering with Dup15q Alliance, we are able to reach thousands more families with care and support by bringing AS clinics to their location.
The ASF operates on an annual budget of $2 million and uses half of that to fund research. It currently serves 3,500 patients in the database and has around 22,000 followers on social media.
The network Jalazo supervises began in 2011, when three specialized Angelman facilities at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, UNCs Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities in Chapel Hill, and the NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City all became ASF-supported clinics. Six more were added over the last eight years.
Patients travel to where they can receive this evidence-based care, said Jalazo, who spoke to Angelman Syndrome News at the 2019 NORD Rare Diseases & Orphan Products Breakthrough Summit, organized by the National Organization for Rare Disorders.
When its challenging to travel with a child that has special needs especially one with a rare disorder that no ones ever heard of it becomes incredibly beneficial to see all the specialists you need to see in one or two days, she said.
Most of these clinics operate one day a month, though some sites such as Mass General see patients weekly. The current U.S. network treats around 700 Angelman patients throughout the United States; including the four foreign clinics, the ASF network serves close to 1,000 patients.
In December 2018, Israels Sheba Medical Center at Tel HaShomer joined the network. That specialized AS clinic, housed at Shebas Edmond and Lily Safra Childrens Hospital just outside Tel Aviv, was established seven years ago by pediatric neurologist Gali Heimer. Since then, its evolved into the fourth-largest specialized Angelman syndrome clinic in the world, treating 85 of Israels known 100 or so Angelman patients.
Thanks to the new agreement between ASF and Dup15q Alliance both based in the Chicago area 10 Angelman clinics will join the ASF network, including Seattle Childrens Hospital, MiamisNicklaus Childrens Hospital, and the Intermountain Primary Childrens Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This isnt the first time ASF and Dup15q Alliance have worked together. Because the two syndromes are similar, the groups have co-hosted a research symposium every two years. Many researchers who study Angelman also study dup15q.
Our goal is to bring together all the providers caring for Angelman individuals across the globe, Jalazo said. We encourage our sites to be multidisciplinary, so that patients can receive comprehensive care, but we do recognize that some clinicians around the world are not seeing patients in a multidisciplinary setting.
As clinical director at the ASF, Jalazo oversees a monthly virtual meeting via Zoom where representatives of all the clinics talk about pressing issues.
One of the biggest challenges is harnessing the power of patient data, she said. Every time a patient shows up at a clinic, an incredible amount of data is collected thats valuable to patient care, to understanding the natural history of the disease, and to drug development. So we want to harness that and ensure were utilizing and formatting it in a way thats accessible.
Jalazo said that when it comes to her own daughter, an early diagnosis definitely helped. Evelyn has been on a modified ketogenic (low-carb, high-fat) diet from a very early age.
She eats whatevers put in front of her, said the pediatrician, adding that Evelyn generally eats eggs and avocados every morning. Shell go find the blender and if its 3 p.m. and I havent made a smoothie, shell bang the cup on the counter.
Indeed, though the little girl cant speak, she does communicate.
If she needs something, shell go get it and bring it to me. Shell force eye contact. Before she could even walk, shed scoot over to you and direct your gaze over to whatever she wanted you to see, Jalazo said. I think she understands most of what I tell her. There are certain tones she uses. Her term of endearment is a g sound which means I love you.
Evelyns sister, Anna, is a natural caretaker and knows intuitively what Evelyn needs, while Evelyn and Charlie have a very typical sibling relationship they fight all the time, Jalazo said.
Shes completely nonverbal and youd assume she cant read the cues of social situations, but she and Charlie communicate 100% effectively, she said.
As for a cure for AS, Jalazo said gene therapy is extremely promising but that short-term, the focus is on antisense oligonucleotides, or ASOs. These are small pieces of DNA or RNA that can bind to specific molecules of RNA and reduce, restore, or modify protein expression.
Its an incredibly exciting time for the Angelman community, in terms of promising therapeutics coming down the pipeline, one of which is gene therapy, she said. In the immediate future, well have the opportunity to see the impact of non-gene therapy approaches like ASOs. This will give us a little sneak peek into what gene therapy can do.
Total Posts: 11
Ana holds a PhD in Immunology from the University of Lisbon and worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM) in Lisbon, Portugal. She graduated with a BSc in Genetics from the University of Newcastle and received a Masters in Biomolecular Archaeology from the University of Manchester, England. After leaving the lab to pursue a career in Science Communication, she served as the Director of Science Communication at iMM.
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Biogen, 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc - Jewish Life... - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending: Precision Cancer Therapies Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 | Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 3rd, 2020
- What is Trending in Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Share Value and Future Dynamics By 2023 - MENAFN.COM - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 by Opportunity, Demand, Recent trends, Major Driving Factors and Business Growth Strategies and Forecast 2026 -... - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: EGFR Mutation Test Market 2020: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 By End-User Demand, Emerging Trend, New Innovations, Future Prospect, Detailed Analysis and Forecast 2027 - 3rd Watch... - June 20th, 2020
- THAILAND'S EXCEPTIONAL STRENGTHS AS THE WORLD'S MEDICAL HUB - Bangkok Post - June 20th, 2020
- Biobanking Market to Reach $49.46 Billion by 2026; Recent Breakthrough Concepts have Indicated Potential in Covid-19 Vaccine, says Fortune Business... - June 20th, 2020
- Health News Roundup: Ahead of Trump rally in Oklahoma, coronavirus cases; Amazon forest fires could increase risk of COVID infections and more -... - June 20th, 2020
- Sexton Biotechnologies Partners with BioSpherix to Create a Fully-Enclosed, Modular Fill-Finish System with Rapid Deployment for Emerging Cell and... - June 17th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Share, Size, Demand, Forecast to grow at a steady CAGR | Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize... - June 17th, 2020
- Genomics Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Developing a COVID-19 Vaccine Quickly Proving to be a Daunting Task But Progress Still Expected - OrthoSpineNews - June 8th, 2020
- Twist Bioscience to Join Proteona in Global Alliance to Protect Immunocompromised Patients From COVID-19 Infection - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2020
- The subtle signs that point the way towards haemochromatosis - The Irish Times - June 2nd, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Top Manufacturers,Segment Type s,... - May 29th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- The medicine of music: Tim Vallillee turns to song as therapy for cystic fibrosis and for life - TheChronicleHerald.ca - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Immunotherapy Before Surgery Could Advance Care of an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer - Newswise - April 29th, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Formation of Strategic Medical Advisory Team of Experts in Neuromuscular Care and Research - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why soap works - even on coronavirus - and how its discovery altered human history - Chattanooga Times Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020
- Scarborough brother and sister, aged 11 and 12, with the genetic cholesterol condition FH are helped by new clinic - The Scarborough News - March 14th, 2020
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Treatment Market to Exhibit a Spectacular CAGR of 28.9%; Growing Initiatives by Government Authorities for Pre-Diagnosis to... - March 7th, 2020
- Study maps landmarks of peripheral artery disease to guide treatment development - University of Illinois News - March 5th, 2020
- Misophonia: A Neurologic, Psychologic, and Audiologic... : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - March 5th, 2020
- Precision medicine in 2020: what barriers remain for drug developers? - pharmaceutical-technology.com - March 4th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market outlook with industry review and forecasts - Technology Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - News Times - March 4th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- When Treating Women With Ovarian Cancer, Gynecologic Oncologist Emphasizes Openness And Dedication Throughout Journey - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Lung-MAP: A five-year recap on the first master protocol trial in cancer research - The Cancer Letter - February 22nd, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Consumables Market Revenue Expected to Reach USD 6999 Million By 2027 - Northwest Trail - February 21st, 2020
- In Vitro Fertilization Market will Reach USD 36.39 Billion by 2026: Increasing Cases of Infertility Among Men to Positively Influence Growth, says... - February 20th, 2020
- Global Veterinary X-ray Market is Expected to Reach USD 1,167.47 Million by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Instant... - February 15th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Top Key Players, Size, Global Share, Trend, Segmentation, Demand, Opportunities And Forecasts To 2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 15th, 2020
- Outlook on the Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market to 2025 by Application, - News by aeresearch - February 1st, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Share, Technology, Included Features, Cost, Revenue, Manufacturers, Region, Applications and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Expedition 99 - January 31st, 2020
- UAB: 50 years of Improving Birmingham, Alabama and the World - Birmingham Times - January 31st, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Science... - January 31st, 2020
- What can hold back the hands of time? Scientists have looked at these five treatments - Ottawa Citizen - January 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Bulletin 99 - January 25th, 2020
- MDA Awards Venture Philanthropy Funding of More Than $1M to AavantiBio to Develop Gene-Targeting Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia - P&T Community - January 14th, 2020
- Oncocyte Announces the Commercial Availability of DetermaRx, the First Test for Chemotherapy Benefit Prediction in Patients with Early Stage Non-Small... - January 14th, 2020
- The Region's Health Leaders on What's New and What the Next Decade Will Bring - Business West - January 9th, 2020
- Endothelial Dysfunction Industry 2019-2025 Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Regional, Manufactures, Application and Forecast Research Report -... - January 9th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market is Expected to Reach USD 387.9 Million by 2025| Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical, Argos Technologies -... - January 9th, 2020
- Insights on precision oncology developments in Japan and beyond - MobiHealthNews - January 6th, 2020
- Novel discovery in gene therapy to treat kidney diseases - WeForNews - January 5th, 2020
- Top Providers of the Alpha Thalassemia Market gives a New Dimension easing Measurement and Quantification - GuruFocus.com - December 27th, 2019