Cancer has been the leading cause of death in Japan since 1981 and this is compounded by the fact that the country has a hyper-aging society, which means that Japan will face a substantial increase in the number of elderly cancer patients, according to a review article by Matsuda and Saika published in the Annals of Cancer Epidemiology in 2018. Prof Yasushi Goto of the National Cancer Center Hospital in Japan shared with MobiHealthNews on some of the latest developments in precision oncology in Japan, the interest of pharmaceutical companies in targeted therapy and a nationwide cancer genome screening project named SCRUM.
Q. Could you tell us more about your role at the National Cancer Center Hospital?
A. National Cancer Center Hospital (NCCH) is based in Tokyo, Japan and is the largest cancer center in the country. The other is national cancer center is located in Chiba, Japan. One of the special characteristics of NCCH apart from the research institute hospital, is that we also do research for every kind of cancer activity in our hospital. We dont only do clinics, but also genetic oncology, rare cancers.
My main work is at thoracic oncology which mainly covers lung cancer. I also am a member of Rare Cancer Center so I also cover, malignant mesothelioma, thymic cancer, neuroendocrine tumors, and all others. Since Japan has launched national genomic project, and National Cancer Center is playing the central role in this project, I am also joining Section of Knowledge Integration in Center for Cancer Genomics and Advanced Therapeutics.
Q. What are your observations on the development of precision oncology in the APAC region? How would you describe precision oncology in the most straightforward manner?
A. Testing for patients with cancer is prevalent in the APAC region. Compared to other countries, people in Asia are generally accustomed to genetic testing for precision medicine. Our capabilities may not be as advanced as the United States for full gene sequencing, perhaps because of cost issues, but we are catching up.
For precision oncology to develop further, more patients should be tested for genetic testing and target therapy. We are looking to putting in place a proper system to support this right now, especially in the rare cancer field.
There was a recent nationwide project in Japan called SCRUM, conducted by the National Cancer Center East Hospital. SCRUM is the first industry-academia collaboration nationwide cancer genome screening project. I believe early access to drugs is partly due to this project.
Q. Medtech or healthtech startups are also getting into the precision medicine space and seeing a lot of interest from investors. For instance, genomic medicine startup Lucence from Singapore recently raised $20 million in Series A funding. What opportunities do you see in these startups in terms of working together with hospitals such as the National Cancer Centre Hospital? Are there any notable startups in Japan in the precision medicine space?
A. In Japan, many pharmaceutical companies are looking at targeted therapy. Prominent companies include Daichi-Sankyo, Chugai, and Takeda. NCCH is currently working closely with Daichi-Sankyo, Takeda and Chugai.
The approval system is different between blockbuster drugs and targeted therapy. If you only have one patient in Japan and globally there are only 20 or so there can be a scenario where the drug is effective, but it is not approved in our country as there is only a single patient. This is why some pharmaceutical companies are looking at precision medicine.
Companies including Sysmex are also actively looking into the testing of panel sequencing. NCCH has also worked with Sysmex to make a cancer sequencing panel.
Q. The high incidence of cancer in modern societies is worrying and also very costly how do you think precision oncology can help tackle some of these challenges?
A. Cost is a global issue, for both the development side (e.g. the pharmaceutical companies) and the consumption side (e.g. governments, individuals). We also need some basic infrastructure for precision oncology, to screen patients. Currently each drug needs its own testing. With many drugs that need to be tested, we need a platform to do panel sequencing in order to annotate any genetic changes in the patients for treatment.
In Japan, we are now trying to make this infrastructure because the government recently approved the panel sequencing in 2019. This means that after standard therapy, every patient is able to test for panel sequencing. As more patients are screened, in this way I think cancer treatment will be improved in the future.
Q. What do you think will be the key developments and breakthroughs in precision oncology in the next 3-5 years?
A. There will be no blockbuster development, but there will be steady progress in the detecting genetic changes earlier in the next 3-5 years. Some of the topics at the ESMO Asia Congress 2019 in Singapore were on advancements in detecting mutations/previously overlooked genes. Since we are able to find these abnormalities earlier, we now have new anti-cancer agents to target them.
- Nucleic Acid Based Gene Therapy Market Analysis Of Industry Trends And Market Growth Opportunities As Per The Business Research Company's Nucleic Acid... - October 5th, 2021
- STIs Reached Record Highs, Then COVID-19 Hit. Test Makers Now Ponder What's Next - GenomeWeb - October 5th, 2021
- Greater Gift, AGTC, and 2020 On-site Partner To Honor & Celebrate Clinical Trial Participants and - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Huntingtons disease: northern Scotland has one of world's highest rates and rising sharply here's why - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2021
- X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028 | Sanofi, Pfizer, J&J, Abbott, Merck, GSK UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The... - August 31st, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Segmentation, Share, Size, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 31st, 2021
- Bedford Biotech Restores "Meaningful Vision" in Blind Patients With Gene Therapyand May Soon Go Public Dallas Innovates -... - June 25th, 2021
- 'Like turning back the clock': Windsor dad with cystic fibrosis among patients seeking access to new therapy - CBC.ca - June 25th, 2021
- Germline genetic testing can benefit all cancer patients as a routine practice in cancer care - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is an Authorized Treatment Center for Ide-cel CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - May 15th, 2021
- Discovery of a new genetic cause of hearing loss illuminates how inner ear works - India Education Diary - May 15th, 2021
- Castle Biosciences Announces Pipeline Initiative to Develop Genomic Test Targeting Systemic Therapy Response in Patients with Psoriasis, Atopic... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020