In dealing with the chemical imbalances that are both a cause of substance abuse and a result of long-term substance addiction, nutritional therapy can be helpful in several ways.
Food and Addiction
Radiant Recovery (radiantrecovery.com/resourcecenter/alcdrug.html) This site was developed by Kathleen DesMaisons, PhD., the author of Potatoes not Prozac which charts the relationship between sugar addiction and alcoholism. It includes resources related to substance addiction plus an online program to help people deal with sugar addiction. There is also an online forum and a series of Internet-based two-week classes for $24.95 each which deal with various aspects of addiction including brain chemistry. Out-patient treatment based on this approach is also available in Albuquerque (call 505 345-3737 for further information).
Intravenous Amino Acids
Agora Regeneration Clinics (agoraforlife.net) Based in Vancouver, BC, this outpatient program focuses on biochemical detoxification of the body and brain. It includes Amino Acid IV Therapy, a Naturopathic physical work-up, infrared sauna detoxification, auricular acupuncture, massage therapy and the Agora For Life Program which deals with the emotional and mental aspects of addiction. The 10 day intensive program costs $9,800 (plus GST) and the 15 day intensive costs $13,500 (plus GST). Both program fees include the Agora for Life Aftercare program.
Nutritional Supplements, Vitamins and Herbs
Nutritional supplements such as herbs, amino acids (see chart below), vitamins and other nutrients restore the proper biochemical balance in the brain.
Supplements, vitamins and herbs can be purchased online through various websites such as Vitacost.com, iHerb.com, Swansonvitamins.com, Luckyvitamin.com, evitamins.com and Vitamin Shoppe.
Books on Nutrition
End Your Addiction Now: The Proven Nutritional Supplement Program That Can Set You Free by Charles Gant and Greg Lewis, published by Square One (2009) can be purchased at amazon.com. Nutritional supplements such as herbs, amino acids (see chart below), vitamins and other nutrients restore the proper biochemical balance in the brain. These supplements are specified, according to your addiction, in an excellent book written by Charles Gant, MD, PhD, who has helped over 7,500 patients with his innovative nutritional program designed to help people addicted to drugs, alcohol, nicotine, or pain medication.
In addition, eliminating certain substances such as sugars and simple starches and increasing protein intake can help to rebalance brain chemistry. Good nutrition can also help heal damage to the body caused by the depletion of nutrients common in substance abuse.
Natural Highs by Hyla Cass M.D. and Patrick Holford published by Avery Books/Penguin Putnam in 2002 can be purchased at amazon.com. This book usefully reviews and gives specific doses of herbs, amino acids, nutritional supplements and foods that help a person have a sharp mind and feel happy, calm, energetic and connected to people. The main tips from this book including specific doses of herbs and amino acids can be found at cassmd.com/books/naturalhighs/.
Another helpful book which has benefited many people with its nutritional advice is Seven Weeks To Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism Through Nutrition by Joan Mathew Larson Ph.D. This book can also be purchased at amazon.com.
To Find a Nutritionist:
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (eatright.org) Some people may decide to work directly with a nutritionist. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics web site can help you locate a nutritionist. This is the nation's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. Click on the red Find an Expert button at the top of the page to locate dietitians in the United States by zip code. Descriptions include areas of practice or specialty for each dietitian.
AMINO ACID NUTRITION THERAPY
Another important area of the use of nutrition in recovery and relapse prevention is the addition of appropriate amino acids that serve as the building blocks for powerful chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters, including epinephrine and norepinephrine, GABA, serotonin and dopamine, are closely tied to addiction behavior. With the use of various amino acids, brain chemistry can be changed to help normalize and restore deficiencies in the neurotransmitters that spur cravings that can lead to addiction andrelapse.
This chart was originally published in the following article. Blum K, Ross J, Reuben C, Gastelu D, Miller DK. "Nutritional Gene Therapy: Natural Healing in Recovery. Counselor Magazine, January/February, 2001
Go here to read the rest:
Nutrition : The Addiction Recovery Guide
- The Patient Perspective On Patient Centricity Insights From A Veteran Of 5 Clinical Trials - Clinical Leader - October 12th, 2019
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities & Forecast to 2025 - The Ukiah Post - October 11th, 2019
- Transfusion-dependent Anemia Treatment Market Gain Impetus due to the Growing Demand over 2019 2029 - Herald Space - October 1st, 2019
- Non-viral Gene Therapy will now accelerate cancer study - Industry Reporter - September 28th, 2019
- Social Impact Heroes: How Lynn OConnor Vos and the Muscular Dystrophy Association are helping to raise billions of dollars to fund research to... - September 28th, 2019
- Pollard and Norris in the race for Pos. 2 of the Public Hospital District 4 - Snoqualmie Valley Record - September 28th, 2019
- Nearly Half of Poland's SMA Patients on Track to Get Spinraza, Experts Say - SMA News Today - September 28th, 2019
- Prospective Study Characterizes PCa Risk Linked to BRCA1, BRCA2 Mutations - Renal and Urology News - September 28th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Forecast Research Reports Offers Key Insights 2017 2025 - Space Market Research - September 28th, 2019
- Google bans ads for 'bad actors' selling 'deceptive treatments' - BioEdge - September 22nd, 2019
- Texas State To Expand Round Rock Campus Programs, Services - Round Rock, TX Patch - September 22nd, 2019
- Transfusion-dependent Anemia Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2025 - The Market Plan - September 22nd, 2019
- Chemotherapy Drugs Market Strategies, Major Industry Participants, Marketing Channels and Forecast To2018 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Targeted Cancer Therapies Market Regional Landscape, Production, Sales & Consumption Status and Prospects 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 2025 - Technology Trend - September 22nd, 2019
- Biological Product Manufacturing Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Share, Trend, Growth, Analysis and Forecast - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Google Bans Advertising on Unproven Medical Treatments (like Stem Cells) - Bedford Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- 4 Barriers To Cell And Gene Therapy Development For Rare ... - May 18th, 2019
- Gene Therapy: The New Frontier for Inherited Retinal Disease - April 16th, 2019
- F.D.A. Speeds Review of Gene Therapies, Vowing to Target ... - February 17th, 2019
- Cell and Gene Therapy Center - IQVIA - December 24th, 2018
- resurrection-clinics.eu - August 24th, 2018
- Hacking Your Genes Has Never Been Easier - Outside Magazine - September 8th, 2017
- FDA approves first cell-based gene therapy for use in the United States - Gears Of Biz - September 8th, 2017
- Quick Hits: Withdrawn Leukemia Drug Returning, Drugmaker in $58M Settlement Over Sales Reps, and More - MedShadow (registration) (blog) - September 8th, 2017
- FDA Approves New Cancer Treatment - Alive For Football - September 5th, 2017
- Global Cancer Biological Therapy Analysis & Forecast 2016 to 2023 - Digital Journal - September 5th, 2017
- How one California county is fighting high-priced surgeries - Los Angeles Times - September 2nd, 2017
- New 'hit-and-run' gene editing tool temporarily rewrites genetics to treat cancer and HIV - GeekWire - September 2nd, 2017
- Australian Market Declines - Markets Insider - August 29th, 2017
- New Stanford drug saves child with deadly genetic disease - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Orphan Diseases Market Key Players analysis ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Gene Editing in Human Embryos Leaps ForwardHere's the Science - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Global Cancer Biological Therapy Market 2017 Size, Development Status, Type and Application, Segmentation ... - Digital Journal - August 22nd, 2017
- Traditional Therapy Clinics Ltd (TTC.AX) Money Flow Index Levels in Focus - Stock Daily Review - August 22nd, 2017
- Sodium Iodide Symporter for Nuclear Molecular Imaging and ... - August 13th, 2017
- Biological bypass shows promise in coronary artery disease - Medical Xpress - August 12th, 2017
- Cardiovascular disease cure? One session of THIS could help treat condition - Express.co.uk - August 9th, 2017
- Understanding the muscle behind global duchenne muscular dystrophy market - WhaTech - August 9th, 2017
- Proton Therapy: How It Could Change The Outcome of Paediatric Cancer - HuffPost - August 5th, 2017
- Wilson's Disease Market: Unmet Needs of Patient Population to Inspire Players for Improved Treatment Options - Edition Truth - August 5th, 2017
- In a first, scientists edit fatal gene mutation out of DNA - Asheboro Courier Tribune - August 4th, 2017
- Head and Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market is Expected to Generate Huge Profits by 2024 - MilTech - July 12th, 2017
- Cancer Biological Therapy market is rising with potential rate at CAGR of 4.7 % till 2023 - MENAFN.COM - July 11th, 2017
- Stem cell therapies breaking barriers - Guardian (blog) - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative Cancer Clinics - Immunotherapy for Cancer - July 8th, 2017
- Advanced Gene-Targeted Therapies - Alternative Cancer Clinics - July 8th, 2017
- Cure for ageing could lie in gene therapy | WIRED UK - July 1st, 2017
- Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network - Digital Journal (press release) - July 1st, 2017
- Gene Therapy Market - Size, Share, industry, Forecast ... - November 30th, 2016
- Medi-Cal: Medi-Cal Update - Clinics and Hospitals | May ... - November 23rd, 2016
- Gene Therapy: Chinese Researching Gene Replacement - September 25th, 2015
- Home Page of the Human Gene and Cell Therapy Center - August 29th, 2015