By Ben Solaski and Perry Yin, Ph.D., PA Consulting
Rare diseases, as defined by the Orphan Drug Act, are diseases that affect less than 200,000 people. Given that approximately 80 percent of the 7,000 known rare diseases are caused by a single-gene defect,1 there has been increased research in the development of cell and gene therapies to treat rare diseases.
However, a number of challenges hinder these efforts, including pricing and reimbursement, the high cost of bringing these drugs to market, unique manufacturing and supply chain challenges, and our current limited understanding of disease pathology and progression. While these challenges may seem common across other drug markets, in the case of rare diseases, these challenges are exacerbated by limited patient populations. In this article, we look at the four challenges in greater depth and explore potential responses to help pharma companies be successful in bringing these products to market.
1. Making Commercialization Viable By Tackling High Costs Together
Given the small patient population, and the high price of drugs aimed at rare diseases, how can we ensure the long-term commercial viability of these drugs? This challenge can be explored from two points of view - how health authorities can promote scientific advancements while also protecting investments in rare disease development and how pharma can collaborate with payers to find better pricing solutions to reduce hurdles for patients to receive treatment.
Over the years, the FDA has taken concrete steps to incentivize the industry to develop drugs for rare diseases. In 2017, the FDA sought to eliminate the backlog for orphan drug requests by responding to future requests within 90 days.2 More recently, the FDA released a Draft Guidance on Human Gene Therapy for Rare Diseases, which pledges that the FDA will be involved with drug companies earlier in the development process. This will not only help streamline development by helping limit the number of preclinical or other preparatory studies but will also lower development costs and increase speed to market.3 But is this enough? There is ongoing debate in the pharma industry that the FDA needs to go even further. For example, while the agency already grants a longer exclusivity period for orphan drugs, this seven-year period is usually outlasted by the 20-year protection offered by patents.4 To sweeten the deal, the FDA may need to consider offering increased protection by expanding this exclusivity period. This would make these drugs more commercially viable, better ensuring capture of initial and ongoing investment in small markets or providing an option for improved pricing scenarios.
On the payer front, as the healthcare industry shifts toward value-based healthcare, orphan drugs and cell and gene therapies that have been prohibitively expensive will be prime candidates for emerging pricing models derived from measuring health outcomes against the cost of treatment. One great example is Novartis CAR-T treatment, Kymriah. For this treatment, Novartis only receives payment if the patient shows significant improvement within a month; otherwise, Novartis bears the cost. The use of value-based pricing models for cell and gene therapies would ease the amount of risk that payers take on when reimbursing these treatments, while also increasing the likelihood that patients will have access to these drugs.
With higher rates of approvals, longer periods of exclusivity, and greater utilization of value-based pricing, cell and gene therapies for rare diseases will have a greater chance of both reaching patients and being commercially successful.
2. Improving Clinical Development: A New Age In Clinical Trial Design And Recruitment
Companies developing cell and gene therapies for rare diseases are confronted with many of the same challenges faced by more traditional drugs; however, these challenges are amplified. These challenges include small patient populations, high mortality rates, and lack of disease state understanding, making it difficult to set clinical endpoints.
Seeking to address this, the FDAs Draft Guidance on Human Gene Therapy for Rare Diseases focuses on new clinical trial designs. What will these trials of the future look like? Gone are the days of three-phase randomized, controlled clinical trials. New age trials for rare diseases will be shorter, combining phases to show both safety and efficacy. Later stage trials will be replaced with rollover studies to see longer-term effects of treatment. Control groups will be replaced with natural history studies to illustrate what happens when patient groups go untreated. Natural history studies will also help to identify surrogate endpoints that can serve as early indicators of future outcomes to help expedite trials.
While these trial designs will help improve the process, there is still the inherent issue of recruiting from such small and geographically diverse patient populations. To ease this, there will be increasing demand for accurate patient registries that include relevant information about potential biomarkers for treatment. GSKs partnership with 23andMe is a good example of how this would work. Genetic data is captured through commercial genetic testing, then used to drive novel drug development and identify patients with specific rare diseases for trial recruitment. Pharma and CROs will also leverage increased use of digital technology to execute remote or highly fragmented multisite trials, making trial participation easier for patients.
Streamlining the clinical trial pathways for gene therapy and rare diseases, as well as reducing the burden on the patient, allows pharma companies to accelerate products to market.
3. Overcoming The Challenges Of Manufacturing And Supply Chain By Partnering With Contract Manufacturer Organizations
There are two major manufacturing challenges. The first is addressing the need for new infrastructure such as advanced supply chains, since the effective handling of these treatments will often require a high degree of customization for the patient (e.g., CAR T cell therapies). The other challenge lies with rare disease and cell and gene therapy products, whose manufacturing requires specialized skills where there is little room for error. As such, organizations will need to decide if they will build the capability or leverage contract organizations.
To address these challenges, in the short term, it is essential that companies have robust chain of custody protocols and supporting technologies to track and monitor these drug products from factory to patient. This ensures the correct patient is getting the therapy that was specifically designed for them, and that the conditions in transit do not damage the drug product. Longer term, the rise of a larger number of small manufacturing sites spread across the country is expected. Smaller manufacturing sites distributed in key geographic regions reduce shipping time, thus reducing the possibility for delays. Taking this one step further, imagine a world where manufacturing sites do not exist, and hospitals or clinics will have the capability and infrastructure to perform specialized manufacturing on-site.
How can pharma get to a commercial scale to support successful complex manufacturing requiring specialized skills? One solution is to outsource manufacturing to contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) that specialize in gene therapies and rare diseases, similar to the way that clinical research has increasingly relied on contract research organizations (CROs). CMOs manufacture the product as a service and use their expertise to produce high-quality product at a reduced cost.
By using specialists to support the manufacturing process and technology to monitor and localize the supply chain, companies can reduce the risks involved in getting high-quality products to patients.
4. Increasing Our Understanding Of Disease States: The Rise Of Natural History Studies And Companion Diagnostics
Currently, there is a lack of understanding of rare diseases, especially around diseases variations and subtypes. This creates the challenge of how to better identify these variations to develop treatments that are then targeted at a specific disease subtype.
Pharma companies will need to spend more time and effort understanding disease states. For rare diseases, natural history studies are critical to provide insight that could help to drive early development, and even serve as a control group in single-arm studies if randomized, concurrent controlled trials are not feasible.5 Natural history studies may also help identify biomarkers that will help tailor these cell and gene therapies to be more personalized to specific subgroups of patients, allowing companies to be more focused in the development process.
Furthermore, to get the best results from treatment, the patient population that would benefit most from treatment needs to be identified. Thus, the industry will likely see an increase in products entering the market that include a companion diagnostic. Both the FDA and payers have an incentive to require drug manufacturers to develop these diagnostics in parallel with drug projects to ensure the best patient outcomes possible. Advancements in next-generation sequencing techniques will make identifying these subgroups easier and more accurate, potentially leading to a one size fits all genetic test that could be applied to all rare disease products.
Genetic tests, combined with an increase in understanding of natural history and disease biomarkers, will ensure the correct patients are receiving the therapies being developed.
Cell and gene therapies for the rare disease space are still emerging and will continue to face new challenges around development, the evolving regulation landscape, pricing and reimbursement, and manufacturing. Despite these challenges, the first products have already reached the market. New approaches and solutions, such as some of those outlined in this article, will go a long way to meeting these challenges and reducing the barriers to entry, allowing pharma to bring these products to market more quickly and affordably.
About The Authors:
Ben Solaski is a life sciences expert at PA Consulting. With his training as a biomedical engineer, he has extensive experience with the development of gene editing technologies and an understanding of their potential to disrupt the industry. Contact him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminsolaski/.
Perry Yin, Ph.D., is a life sciences expert at PA Consulting, where he leads the Cell and Gene Therapy group. He has experience developing technologies like CRISPR and stem cell-based therapies from concept to animal testing for both cancer and regenerative medicine applications. Contact him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/yinperry/.
Read the original post:
4 Barriers To Cell And Gene Therapy Development For Rare ...
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- The good news about breast cancer - The Gazette - October 29th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Analysis by 24 Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Trend & Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Research on Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2019 and Analysis to 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market 2020-2027 Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook By Top Leaders : Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and... - October 17th, 2020
- CHOROIDEREMIA TREATMENT MARKET BUSINESS GROWTH BY COPERNICUS THERAPEUTICS, INC, WIZE PHARMA INC, SPARK THERAPEUTICS, INC - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market: Increase in Demand for Regenerative Medicines to Accelerate Market Growth - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - October 10th, 2020
- Pediatric Neuroblastoma Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics and Opportunity During 2020 to 2026 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020
- NMDP/Be The Match partners with M Health Fairview and Duke University cryopreservation labs to launch Be The Match BioBank - Watauga Democrat - October 7th, 2020
- What Will Be Driving Growth of Alpha Thalassemia market Near Future By Top Vendors Like | Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma, Acceleron Pharma ,... - October 7th, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market Research by 2020 Top Countries Data, Key Players, Industry Revenue, Demand Status and Investments Plans Forecast to 2024 - The... - October 7th, 2020