By Ben Solaski and Perry Yin, Ph.D., PA Consulting
Rare diseases, as defined by the Orphan Drug Act, are diseases that affect less than 200,000 people. Given that approximately 80 percent of the 7,000 known rare diseases are caused by a single-gene defect,1 there has been increased research in the development of cell and gene therapies to treat rare diseases.
However, a number of challenges hinder these efforts, including pricing and reimbursement, the high cost of bringing these drugs to market, unique manufacturing and supply chain challenges, and our current limited understanding of disease pathology and progression. While these challenges may seem common across other drug markets, in the case of rare diseases, these challenges are exacerbated by limited patient populations. In this article, we look at the four challenges in greater depth and explore potential responses to help pharma companies be successful in bringing these products to market.
1. Making Commercialization Viable By Tackling High Costs Together
Given the small patient population, and the high price of drugs aimed at rare diseases, how can we ensure the long-term commercial viability of these drugs? This challenge can be explored from two points of view - how health authorities can promote scientific advancements while also protecting investments in rare disease development and how pharma can collaborate with payers to find better pricing solutions to reduce hurdles for patients to receive treatment.
Over the years, the FDA has taken concrete steps to incentivize the industry to develop drugs for rare diseases. In 2017, the FDA sought to eliminate the backlog for orphan drug requests by responding to future requests within 90 days.2 More recently, the FDA released a Draft Guidance on Human Gene Therapy for Rare Diseases, which pledges that the FDA will be involved with drug companies earlier in the development process. This will not only help streamline development by helping limit the number of preclinical or other preparatory studies but will also lower development costs and increase speed to market.3 But is this enough? There is ongoing debate in the pharma industry that the FDA needs to go even further. For example, while the agency already grants a longer exclusivity period for orphan drugs, this seven-year period is usually outlasted by the 20-year protection offered by patents.4 To sweeten the deal, the FDA may need to consider offering increased protection by expanding this exclusivity period. This would make these drugs more commercially viable, better ensuring capture of initial and ongoing investment in small markets or providing an option for improved pricing scenarios.
On the payer front, as the healthcare industry shifts toward value-based healthcare, orphan drugs and cell and gene therapies that have been prohibitively expensive will be prime candidates for emerging pricing models derived from measuring health outcomes against the cost of treatment. One great example is Novartis CAR-T treatment, Kymriah. For this treatment, Novartis only receives payment if the patient shows significant improvement within a month; otherwise, Novartis bears the cost. The use of value-based pricing models for cell and gene therapies would ease the amount of risk that payers take on when reimbursing these treatments, while also increasing the likelihood that patients will have access to these drugs.
With higher rates of approvals, longer periods of exclusivity, and greater utilization of value-based pricing, cell and gene therapies for rare diseases will have a greater chance of both reaching patients and being commercially successful.
2. Improving Clinical Development: A New Age In Clinical Trial Design And Recruitment
Companies developing cell and gene therapies for rare diseases are confronted with many of the same challenges faced by more traditional drugs; however, these challenges are amplified. These challenges include small patient populations, high mortality rates, and lack of disease state understanding, making it difficult to set clinical endpoints.
Seeking to address this, the FDAs Draft Guidance on Human Gene Therapy for Rare Diseases focuses on new clinical trial designs. What will these trials of the future look like? Gone are the days of three-phase randomized, controlled clinical trials. New age trials for rare diseases will be shorter, combining phases to show both safety and efficacy. Later stage trials will be replaced with rollover studies to see longer-term effects of treatment. Control groups will be replaced with natural history studies to illustrate what happens when patient groups go untreated. Natural history studies will also help to identify surrogate endpoints that can serve as early indicators of future outcomes to help expedite trials.
While these trial designs will help improve the process, there is still the inherent issue of recruiting from such small and geographically diverse patient populations. To ease this, there will be increasing demand for accurate patient registries that include relevant information about potential biomarkers for treatment. GSKs partnership with 23andMe is a good example of how this would work. Genetic data is captured through commercial genetic testing, then used to drive novel drug development and identify patients with specific rare diseases for trial recruitment. Pharma and CROs will also leverage increased use of digital technology to execute remote or highly fragmented multisite trials, making trial participation easier for patients.
Streamlining the clinical trial pathways for gene therapy and rare diseases, as well as reducing the burden on the patient, allows pharma companies to accelerate products to market.
3. Overcoming The Challenges Of Manufacturing And Supply Chain By Partnering With Contract Manufacturer Organizations
There are two major manufacturing challenges. The first is addressing the need for new infrastructure such as advanced supply chains, since the effective handling of these treatments will often require a high degree of customization for the patient (e.g., CAR T cell therapies). The other challenge lies with rare disease and cell and gene therapy products, whose manufacturing requires specialized skills where there is little room for error. As such, organizations will need to decide if they will build the capability or leverage contract organizations.
To address these challenges, in the short term, it is essential that companies have robust chain of custody protocols and supporting technologies to track and monitor these drug products from factory to patient. This ensures the correct patient is getting the therapy that was specifically designed for them, and that the conditions in transit do not damage the drug product. Longer term, the rise of a larger number of small manufacturing sites spread across the country is expected. Smaller manufacturing sites distributed in key geographic regions reduce shipping time, thus reducing the possibility for delays. Taking this one step further, imagine a world where manufacturing sites do not exist, and hospitals or clinics will have the capability and infrastructure to perform specialized manufacturing on-site.
How can pharma get to a commercial scale to support successful complex manufacturing requiring specialized skills? One solution is to outsource manufacturing to contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) that specialize in gene therapies and rare diseases, similar to the way that clinical research has increasingly relied on contract research organizations (CROs). CMOs manufacture the product as a service and use their expertise to produce high-quality product at a reduced cost.
By using specialists to support the manufacturing process and technology to monitor and localize the supply chain, companies can reduce the risks involved in getting high-quality products to patients.
4. Increasing Our Understanding Of Disease States: The Rise Of Natural History Studies And Companion Diagnostics
Currently, there is a lack of understanding of rare diseases, especially around diseases variations and subtypes. This creates the challenge of how to better identify these variations to develop treatments that are then targeted at a specific disease subtype.
Pharma companies will need to spend more time and effort understanding disease states. For rare diseases, natural history studies are critical to provide insight that could help to drive early development, and even serve as a control group in single-arm studies if randomized, concurrent controlled trials are not feasible.5 Natural history studies may also help identify biomarkers that will help tailor these cell and gene therapies to be more personalized to specific subgroups of patients, allowing companies to be more focused in the development process.
Furthermore, to get the best results from treatment, the patient population that would benefit most from treatment needs to be identified. Thus, the industry will likely see an increase in products entering the market that include a companion diagnostic. Both the FDA and payers have an incentive to require drug manufacturers to develop these diagnostics in parallel with drug projects to ensure the best patient outcomes possible. Advancements in next-generation sequencing techniques will make identifying these subgroups easier and more accurate, potentially leading to a one size fits all genetic test that could be applied to all rare disease products.
Genetic tests, combined with an increase in understanding of natural history and disease biomarkers, will ensure the correct patients are receiving the therapies being developed.
Cell and gene therapies for the rare disease space are still emerging and will continue to face new challenges around development, the evolving regulation landscape, pricing and reimbursement, and manufacturing. Despite these challenges, the first products have already reached the market. New approaches and solutions, such as some of those outlined in this article, will go a long way to meeting these challenges and reducing the barriers to entry, allowing pharma to bring these products to market more quickly and affordably.
About The Authors:
Ben Solaski is a life sciences expert at PA Consulting. With his training as a biomedical engineer, he has extensive experience with the development of gene editing technologies and an understanding of their potential to disrupt the industry. Contact him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminsolaski/.
Perry Yin, Ph.D., is a life sciences expert at PA Consulting, where he leads the Cell and Gene Therapy group. He has experience developing technologies like CRISPR and stem cell-based therapies from concept to animal testing for both cancer and regenerative medicine applications. Contact him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/yinperry/.
Read the original post:
4 Barriers To Cell And Gene Therapy Development For Rare ...
- Researchers Using Models To Understand COVID-19, Other News - Bio-IT World - August 7th, 2020
- Dr Mukesh Batra: The alternative medicine man - Livemint - August 7th, 2020
- Pompe Disease Treatment Market Supply Demand Report, Top Companies, Research Forecast, Analysis and (Volume and Value) and Growth to 2025 Shared in... - August 6th, 2020
- Molecular Diagnostics Market Economic Impact 2020: Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with Market Dynamics and Forecast... - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of TECH.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 1:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020 Key Players Abbott Laboratories,... - August 5th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 By End-User Demand, Emerging Trend, New Innovations, Future Prospect, Detailed Analysis and Forecast 2027 - MR... - August 4th, 2020
- Poignant photos reveal how sickness and healthcare touch so many facets of life - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Theraphy Market Future Prospects 2020 Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, Dynamics, Segments, Size and Demand... - August 4th, 2020
- US Parkinsons disease treatment Market set to grow with massive rate by 2020 to 2025 - Galus Australis - August 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size of Dynamics, Products, Application, Forecast Report 2019-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Type, Drug, Stages, Route of Administration, Age... - August 3rd, 2020
- BioMarin (BMRN) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Zacks.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Trending Now: Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026|, Spark Therapeutics... - August 1st, 2020
- BioMarin (BMRN) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - July 31st, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market Projected Growth Rate 2020 | Demand Status, Future Scope, Upcoming Trends of Manufacturers, Global Share with Industry Size... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Huntington's Disease Treatment Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2027)- By Drug Type, Treatment, End-Users, and Region. - Red &... - July 29th, 2020
- Global Blood Screening Market Size, Share, Industry Growth Survey by Types, Applications and Top Key Players Enzo Biochem Inc., Meridian Bioscience,... - July 28th, 2020
- Global EPrescription Market Research Along With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Advancement and Outlook 2027|eclinicalworks, Henry Schein, Inc., Drfirst,... - July 28th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Size & Share 2020 Analysis and Oulook Report till 2026 - Northwest Trail - July 27th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market - Detailed Analysis of Current and Future Industry Figures till 2027 | Global Players Mayo Foundation for Medical... - July 27th, 2020
- Global Ventilators Market Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period until 2027|ResMed., Medtronic, BD, Getinge AB., Drgerwerk AG... - July 27th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Theraphy Market Size, Share Global Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Global Growth, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 27th, 2020
- Ligament Repair Procedures Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis By Size, Growth Rate, Share and Trends With Forecast To 2027 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Product, Technique, End Users and Region. - Red & Black... - July 27th, 2020
- 2027 Projections: Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market Report By Type, Application And Regional Outlook - Bulletin Line - July 26th, 2020
- Report: The Impact of COVID-19 On Global Angelman Syndrome Treatment Market : Dynamics, Segments, Size and Demand, 2018 2028 - The Cloud Tribune - July 25th, 2020
- Deep Brain Stimulation Systems Market Growth, Scope, Future Trends, Industry Outlook: Post COVID Investors Eye Bigger-Than-Expected: Beijing PINS... - July 24th, 2020
- Cannabis Can Relieve the Pain Associated With Sickle Cell Anemia Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - July 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Transcription Market Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Business Opportunities and Future Scope till 2027|iMedX, Inc., Global Medical... - July 24th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Share Analysis, Future Insights, Growth Projection and Industry Trends By 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 23rd, 2020
- Neuroblastoma Drug Market Trend Analysis by 2026 | Cellectar Biosciences, INC, United Therapeutics Corporation, APEIRON Biologics AG - Cole of Duty - July 22nd, 2020
- Kubota Vision Announces Research Agreement with The Research Foundation for the State University of New York for a Wearable Myopia Control Device -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes Market Growth Analysis by Juno Therapeutics, Inc., Novartis AG, Oxford Biomedica, Pfizer Inc., Precision Biosciences -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Global EPrescription Market (Covid 19 Update) Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027|Drfirst, Relayhealth, CPSI,... - July 22nd, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market 2020 Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation to 2027 | Global Players Mayo Foundation for Medical Education... - July 21st, 2020
- Short Read Sequencing Market Share Analysis to 2027 | GenScript., 10x Genomics., Macrogen Inc, QIAGEN, Agilent Technologies, Inc., BGI - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Annual Review 2020 highlights impact on growth and productivity in the UK cell and gene therapy industry - PharmiWeb.com - July 20th, 2020
- Epigenetics Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 20th, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market Overview, Cost Structure Analysis, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 18th, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market 2020 | Remarkable Growth Factors with Industry Size & Share, New Innovations of Leading Players & Forecast till 2024 -... - July 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Share Analysis, Growth Outlook, COVID-19 Impact and Size Estimation -... - July 17th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Business Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market to Generate Huge Revenue in Industry by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Pompe Disease Treatment Market Trends, Demand, Global Analysis and Forecast to 2030 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of HMED.ST earnings conference call or presentation 16-Jul-20 12:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - July 17th, 2020
- Oxygen Therapy Market 2020-2027 | Need for High-Speed Transport to Boost Growth | Technavio - 3rd Watch News - July 16th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market 10-year Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report - Jewish Life News - July 16th, 2020
- ORTHOPEDIC BRACES AND SUPPORTS MARKET IS THRIVING WORLDWIDE WITH DJO GLOBAL, ZIMMER BIOMET, MEDTRONIC, SMITH AND NEPHEW, STRYKER, SSUR, NUVASIVE, INC... - July 16th, 2020
- Clinical Perinatal Software Market Share Analysis With Top 10 Companies of Industry like Huntleigh Healthcare Limited; GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY;... - July 16th, 2020
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market Segmentation, Trends, Growth, Competitive Analysis and Geographical Outlook till 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 16th, 2020
- Bone Wax Market Size to Represent 3.5% CAGR By 2023 | COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Competitive Outlook, Share Estimation and Industry Insights - Press... - July 16th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo - Jewish Life News - July 15th, 2020
- Covid 19- Impact Alpha Thalassemia Market Estimated To Experience A Hike in Growth | Global Industry Size, Growth, Segments, Revenue, Manufacturers -... - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Projected to Register a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Orthopedic Prosthetics Market Trend Analysis by Smith and Nephew, Touch Bionics Inc, Zimmer Boimet Holdings Inc., Stryker Corp - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Review, Future Growth, Global Survey, impact of COVID-19 on Indepth Analysis, Share, Key Findings, Company Profiles,... - July 14th, 2020
- Vision Care Market Size Projection, Cost Structure Analysis, Sales Statistics, Growth Estimation and Industry Insights By 2025 - Daily Research... - July 14th, 2020
- Osteoarthritic Pain Management Treatment Market Trend Analysis by Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Abbott, AbbVie Inc., Astellas Pharma -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact on COVID-19 Medical Tapes and Bandages Industry : Identify the types of companies that could potentially benefit from the impact of COVID-19 |... - July 14th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Daily Research Advisor - July 13th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Market Applications, Future Trends, Size Value, Growth Statistics, Sales Projection and COVID-19 Impact Analysis By... - July 13th, 2020
- Anastomosis Device Market Size, Product, Application, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 13th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Size & Share 2020 Research Report Covering COVID-19 Impact on Growth Analysis and Outlook till 2026 - Red & Black... - July 13th, 2020
- 3 Top Healthcare Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Growth is Projected to Grow at Sluggish Rate by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 12th, 2020
- Medical Imaging Market Outlook and in-Depth Analysis 2020 by Top Players: Spectrum Health, RamSoft, Inc., InHealth Group, Radiology Reports online -... - July 12th, 2020
- MEDICAL ANIMATION MARKET COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND WORLDWIDE DEMAND WITH TOP PLAYERS-INFUSE MEDIA GROUP, LLC., HYBRID MEDICAL ANIMATION, GHOST... - July 11th, 2020
- HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business Prospects, In-depth... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Carrier Screening Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2027|Myriad Genetics, Inc., Pathway Genomics,... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Market Size, Trends, Technological Advancement And Growth Analysis With Forecast to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Global Nicotine Addiction Treatment Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026|Sosei Group Corporation, CV... - July 10th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Briefing 2020, Trends, Applications, Types, Research, Forecast To 2025 - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tissue-Replacement Products Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - July 10th, 2020
- Global Ethical Pharmaceuticals Market Leading Manufacturers Profiles by Industry Size, Share, Trends and Forecast 2027|GlaxoSmithKline plc, Johnson... - July 10th, 2020
- Menkes Syndrome Market 2020 Industry Overview, Key Players Analysis, Emerging Opportunities, Comprehensive Research Study, Competitive Landscape and... - July 10th, 2020
- SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA OF THE HEAD AND NECK TREATMENT MARKET TO 2025: SANOFI, PFIZER INC., ELI LILLY AND COMPANY, BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY -... - July 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Size : Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - Jewish... - July 8th, 2020