Dariel Norris and Gene Pollard are competing for Position 2 of the King County Hospital District No. 4. The district comprises the cities of Snoqualmie, North Bend and Carnation, as well as unincorporated and rural areas nearby.
Norris has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington and has the occupations of hospital registered nurse and small business owner. She has also served on the King County Parks Levy review board and the Snoqualmie Valley Community Network board.
Pollard has degrees from the University of California, Riverside and Occidental College. He also attended the Naval War College where he earned a diploma. Pollard is a retired foreign service officer, Navy commander, according to his candidate statement on the King County Auditors Office website.
Biggest health care problem facing Snoqualmie/the health care district?
Norris: I would say the ability to meet the specific health care needs of the local community. The 2016 Community Health Data Report identified the following issues for the Hospital district: access, cancer, heart and lung disease, mental health, smoking, substance abuse, diabetes, homelessness for adults and youth, all with serious health consequences.
Pollard: The major problem facing the district is the long-term indebtedness of $100 million, the greatest of any comparable hospital in the U.S. This didnt just happen overnight; it took years to accumulate. I attribute this to poor financial planning and incompetent policy making, especially by the hospital boards finance committee headed up by commissioners David Speikers and Dariel Norris. Committee meetings were briefly open to other commissioners and the public under former superintendent Tom Parker, who left a year ago to take a position with Mammoth Hospital in California. But now the committee has decided to again close its meetings, so financial decisions come to the board for rubber-stamping without dissenting opinion or transparent discussion.
How do we address this problem?
Norris: At present, the hospital district hasnt been able to reach out to the local community with supporting programs that aggressively address the above issues. Many who live in the district dont realize the hospital has clinics, physical therapy or an infusion program. Lab services as well as endoscopy and colonoscopies are available. We have an X-ray department with not only an Xx-ray machine but also MRI and CAT scan machines. In addition, we also have an infusion program. Even if your primary doctor isnt part of the Snoqualmie system, you can still have your test done close to home and have the results sent to your primary doctor. I believe the district needs to aggressively reach out to our local community, find ways to let them know what we have to offer. I would like to see programs such as nutrition classes from a dietitian or exercise classes from the physical therapy department. I would like the district to have support groups for those caring for family members with Alzheimers or dementia. I think day surgery and particularly orthopedics would be an asset for the community. Snoqualmie Valley Hospital has significant strengths. I sit on the quality committee. We get data that compares us with other local facilities. Based on the data we consistently do very well. If there is an issue, the staff addresses it immediately.
Pollard: Any organization $100 million in debt is in trouble by definition, especially where public money is involved. Whats needed is change change at the top in the finance committee, and in the position of the interim superintendent. The district needs to do a national search to identify a superintendent with prior success in hospital leadership, preferably including experience restoring financially-troubled hospitals. The district also needs greater transparency and accountability in district operations. For example, the proposal for a new hospital was pitched to the community on the basis that the old hospital would be sold for $30 million to the Snoqualmie Tribe and a new hospital would cost $38.6 million. That sounded reasonable, but then the district failed to demand payment when due. With $28.5 million still owed, the district discounted the sale price by half, thereby losing about $10 14 million. I voted against the discounting. Ive often been criticized for my No votes, but the fact is that if other commissioners had voted the way I have during my tenure, there would be no $100 million debt. Equally important to the success of this or any hospital is its communication with the public. The district is deficient. In fact, a local newspaper gave the hospital the grade of F in communicating with the public. Public information and advice on health issues have been missing, especially regarding preventative health. The public is uninformed about whats going at the hospital. They dont attend board meetings, held in the hospital basement, and there is essentially no media coverage. Importantly, the district needs to complete the Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) required by the Affordable Care Act and also by the IRS to justify the hospitals tax-exempt status. This is required every three years and must follow specific instructions. The districts 2016 CHNA was a quick and dirty copy of Overlake data and did not comply with the instructions. The 2019 CHNA is becoming overdue, which means the district will be out of compliance. An updated CHNA would assist the district in choosing and budgeting for health care priorities that would benefit the community.
In which direction do you foresee health care in the city/district moving?
Norris: Health care, in Snoqualmie and throughout the country, is struggling with payer models as well as a physician shortage which is growing daily. To meet the needs of Snoqualmie, we need to provide additional services. Services for the very young to the very old and everyone in between. The services need to be close to home and readily available.
Pollard: Because of the indebtedness, the district is now desperately seeking an affiliation, currently with Overlake Medical Center of Bellevue. Overlake is considering a short-term lease arrangement, perhaps five to seven years, which I dont consider viable. More importantly, I dont find Overlake to be a suitable partner. This is based on evaluations by national rating organizations, which dont list Overlake among the top six hospitals in the Puget Sound area. Its also based on my own experience as a patient at Overlake. The district has made many mistakes over the years (witness the debt). I feel that any decision to affiliate with Overlake, whereby this private hospital would take over all hospital operations, would be a historic mistake. It should be noted that Overlake would not bring one dime to the partnership, in contrast to the merger that occurred between Swedish Medical Center and Stevens Hospital in Edmunds. The Everett Herald reported that Swedish planned to invest as much as $90 million in that partnership over 10 years. In contrast, Snoqualmie would receive no funds from Overlake that might be used to help offset its long-term debt.
What are your budget priorities?
Norris: I was appointed to the finance committee six years ago. I was shocked to see some of the unnecessary extravagant expenditures. This is no longer the case. We have streamlined the executive staff. We have continued to budget with priorities in mind to reduce the debt while meeting the health care needs of the community. The present hospital was built with revenue bonds, not tax-backed dollars. The revenue bonds require a sizeable amount of cash on hand. Which we continue to maintain. The finance director suggested we invest those funds instead of letting them sit in the bank at a low interest rate. After a presentation, the chair of the finance committee, made a recommendation to invest those dollars. I believe this to be one of the most responsible choices and decisions the board of commissioners has made. We have also benchmarked as a way of discovering what is the best performance being achieved. This information can be used to identify gaps in an organizations processes in order to achieve a competitive advantage.
Pollard: My budget priority is to focus on austerity throughout the district. This includes looking at every position to make sure its really needed and properly compensated. I believe that some remain only because of the cronyism of prior administrations. A properly qualified new superintendent would be able to tighten things up and ensure the effective and economical operation of the district. Snoqualmie Valley Hospital and the Ridge Clinic belong to the taxpayers and residents of the district, not to hospital administrators or to the personal agendas of commissioners. Everyone associated with hospital governance and operations must remember they have a sacred trust to be good stewards of public funds.
Go here to see the original:
Pollard and Norris in the race for Pos. 2 of the Public Hospital District 4 - Snoqualmie Valley Record
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is an Authorized Treatment Center for Ide-cel CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - May 15th, 2021
- Discovery of a new genetic cause of hearing loss illuminates how inner ear works - India Education Diary - May 15th, 2021
- Castle Biosciences Announces Pipeline Initiative to Develop Genomic Test Targeting Systemic Therapy Response in Patients with Psoriasis, Atopic... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- The good news about breast cancer - The Gazette - October 29th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Analysis by 24 Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Trend & Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Research on Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2019 and Analysis to 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market 2020-2027 Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook By Top Leaders : Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and... - October 17th, 2020
- CHOROIDEREMIA TREATMENT MARKET BUSINESS GROWTH BY COPERNICUS THERAPEUTICS, INC, WIZE PHARMA INC, SPARK THERAPEUTICS, INC - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market: Increase in Demand for Regenerative Medicines to Accelerate Market Growth - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - October 10th, 2020
- Pediatric Neuroblastoma Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics and Opportunity During 2020 to 2026 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020