Dariel Norris and Gene Pollard are competing for Position 2 of the King County Hospital District No. 4. The district comprises the cities of Snoqualmie, North Bend and Carnation, as well as unincorporated and rural areas nearby.
Norris has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington and has the occupations of hospital registered nurse and small business owner. She has also served on the King County Parks Levy review board and the Snoqualmie Valley Community Network board.
Pollard has degrees from the University of California, Riverside and Occidental College. He also attended the Naval War College where he earned a diploma. Pollard is a retired foreign service officer, Navy commander, according to his candidate statement on the King County Auditors Office website.
Biggest health care problem facing Snoqualmie/the health care district?
Norris: I would say the ability to meet the specific health care needs of the local community. The 2016 Community Health Data Report identified the following issues for the Hospital district: access, cancer, heart and lung disease, mental health, smoking, substance abuse, diabetes, homelessness for adults and youth, all with serious health consequences.
Pollard: The major problem facing the district is the long-term indebtedness of $100 million, the greatest of any comparable hospital in the U.S. This didnt just happen overnight; it took years to accumulate. I attribute this to poor financial planning and incompetent policy making, especially by the hospital boards finance committee headed up by commissioners David Speikers and Dariel Norris. Committee meetings were briefly open to other commissioners and the public under former superintendent Tom Parker, who left a year ago to take a position with Mammoth Hospital in California. But now the committee has decided to again close its meetings, so financial decisions come to the board for rubber-stamping without dissenting opinion or transparent discussion.
How do we address this problem?
Norris: At present, the hospital district hasnt been able to reach out to the local community with supporting programs that aggressively address the above issues. Many who live in the district dont realize the hospital has clinics, physical therapy or an infusion program. Lab services as well as endoscopy and colonoscopies are available. We have an X-ray department with not only an Xx-ray machine but also MRI and CAT scan machines. In addition, we also have an infusion program. Even if your primary doctor isnt part of the Snoqualmie system, you can still have your test done close to home and have the results sent to your primary doctor. I believe the district needs to aggressively reach out to our local community, find ways to let them know what we have to offer. I would like to see programs such as nutrition classes from a dietitian or exercise classes from the physical therapy department. I would like the district to have support groups for those caring for family members with Alzheimers or dementia. I think day surgery and particularly orthopedics would be an asset for the community. Snoqualmie Valley Hospital has significant strengths. I sit on the quality committee. We get data that compares us with other local facilities. Based on the data we consistently do very well. If there is an issue, the staff addresses it immediately.
Pollard: Any organization $100 million in debt is in trouble by definition, especially where public money is involved. Whats needed is change change at the top in the finance committee, and in the position of the interim superintendent. The district needs to do a national search to identify a superintendent with prior success in hospital leadership, preferably including experience restoring financially-troubled hospitals. The district also needs greater transparency and accountability in district operations. For example, the proposal for a new hospital was pitched to the community on the basis that the old hospital would be sold for $30 million to the Snoqualmie Tribe and a new hospital would cost $38.6 million. That sounded reasonable, but then the district failed to demand payment when due. With $28.5 million still owed, the district discounted the sale price by half, thereby losing about $10 14 million. I voted against the discounting. Ive often been criticized for my No votes, but the fact is that if other commissioners had voted the way I have during my tenure, there would be no $100 million debt. Equally important to the success of this or any hospital is its communication with the public. The district is deficient. In fact, a local newspaper gave the hospital the grade of F in communicating with the public. Public information and advice on health issues have been missing, especially regarding preventative health. The public is uninformed about whats going at the hospital. They dont attend board meetings, held in the hospital basement, and there is essentially no media coverage. Importantly, the district needs to complete the Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) required by the Affordable Care Act and also by the IRS to justify the hospitals tax-exempt status. This is required every three years and must follow specific instructions. The districts 2016 CHNA was a quick and dirty copy of Overlake data and did not comply with the instructions. The 2019 CHNA is becoming overdue, which means the district will be out of compliance. An updated CHNA would assist the district in choosing and budgeting for health care priorities that would benefit the community.
In which direction do you foresee health care in the city/district moving?
Norris: Health care, in Snoqualmie and throughout the country, is struggling with payer models as well as a physician shortage which is growing daily. To meet the needs of Snoqualmie, we need to provide additional services. Services for the very young to the very old and everyone in between. The services need to be close to home and readily available.
Pollard: Because of the indebtedness, the district is now desperately seeking an affiliation, currently with Overlake Medical Center of Bellevue. Overlake is considering a short-term lease arrangement, perhaps five to seven years, which I dont consider viable. More importantly, I dont find Overlake to be a suitable partner. This is based on evaluations by national rating organizations, which dont list Overlake among the top six hospitals in the Puget Sound area. Its also based on my own experience as a patient at Overlake. The district has made many mistakes over the years (witness the debt). I feel that any decision to affiliate with Overlake, whereby this private hospital would take over all hospital operations, would be a historic mistake. It should be noted that Overlake would not bring one dime to the partnership, in contrast to the merger that occurred between Swedish Medical Center and Stevens Hospital in Edmunds. The Everett Herald reported that Swedish planned to invest as much as $90 million in that partnership over 10 years. In contrast, Snoqualmie would receive no funds from Overlake that might be used to help offset its long-term debt.
What are your budget priorities?
Norris: I was appointed to the finance committee six years ago. I was shocked to see some of the unnecessary extravagant expenditures. This is no longer the case. We have streamlined the executive staff. We have continued to budget with priorities in mind to reduce the debt while meeting the health care needs of the community. The present hospital was built with revenue bonds, not tax-backed dollars. The revenue bonds require a sizeable amount of cash on hand. Which we continue to maintain. The finance director suggested we invest those funds instead of letting them sit in the bank at a low interest rate. After a presentation, the chair of the finance committee, made a recommendation to invest those dollars. I believe this to be one of the most responsible choices and decisions the board of commissioners has made. We have also benchmarked as a way of discovering what is the best performance being achieved. This information can be used to identify gaps in an organizations processes in order to achieve a competitive advantage.
Pollard: My budget priority is to focus on austerity throughout the district. This includes looking at every position to make sure its really needed and properly compensated. I believe that some remain only because of the cronyism of prior administrations. A properly qualified new superintendent would be able to tighten things up and ensure the effective and economical operation of the district. Snoqualmie Valley Hospital and the Ridge Clinic belong to the taxpayers and residents of the district, not to hospital administrators or to the personal agendas of commissioners. Everyone associated with hospital governance and operations must remember they have a sacred trust to be good stewards of public funds.
Go here to see the original:
Pollard and Norris in the race for Pos. 2 of the Public Hospital District 4 - Snoqualmie Valley Record
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- The good news about breast cancer - The Gazette - October 29th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Analysis by 24 Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Trend & Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Research on Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2019 and Analysis to 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market 2020-2027 Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook By Top Leaders : Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and... - October 17th, 2020
- CHOROIDEREMIA TREATMENT MARKET BUSINESS GROWTH BY COPERNICUS THERAPEUTICS, INC, WIZE PHARMA INC, SPARK THERAPEUTICS, INC - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market: Increase in Demand for Regenerative Medicines to Accelerate Market Growth - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market worth $1,603 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - October 10th, 2020
- Pediatric Neuroblastoma Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics and Opportunity During 2020 to 2026 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020
- NMDP/Be The Match partners with M Health Fairview and Duke University cryopreservation labs to launch Be The Match BioBank - Watauga Democrat - October 7th, 2020
- What Will Be Driving Growth of Alpha Thalassemia market Near Future By Top Vendors Like | Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma, Acceleron Pharma ,... - October 7th, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market Research by 2020 Top Countries Data, Key Players, Industry Revenue, Demand Status and Investments Plans Forecast to 2024 - The... - October 7th, 2020
- Global Thalassemia Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies Listed-Novartis AG; Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.;... - October 7th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Awards Five Grants Totaling Over $1.6 Million for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Research - BioSpace - October 1st, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Outlook 2020: Global Topmost Companies, Size, Trends And Upcoming Forecasts 2026 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Awards 15 Grants Totaling More Than $4 Million for Neuromuscular Disease Research - Stockhouse - September 30th, 2020
- Thalassemia Treatment Market projected to expand at a CAGR of 7.9% from 2018 to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Meet the 2020 finalists for the $1 million Sanford Lorraine Cross Award honoring innovation in medical science - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- Endothelial Dysfunction Industry 2020-2025 Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Regional, Manufactures, Application and Forecast Research Report -... - September 30th, 2020
- The Global CRISPR Technology Market Size Is Seeing Exponential Growth Due To The Application Of CRISPR Technology In Treating COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - September 27th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market (by Cell Type, Vector Type, Application, End-User & Region): Insights & Forecast with Potential Impact of COVID-19... - September 25th, 2020
- Redwood Coast PACE Celebrates Its Sixth Anniversary and National PACE Month - Redheaded Blackbelt - September 25th, 2020
- Cancer Therapy Market 2020 Size and Share by Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Regional Insights, Key Trends, Demand and Outlook by 2024 - Verdant... - September 22nd, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Alpha Thalassemia Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - Crypto Daily - September 22nd, 2020
- AstraZeneca : Lynparza recommended for approval in EU by CHMP as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian... - September 21st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 | Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report Examines Business Opportunity and Worldwide Scope by Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Galus... - September 10th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The News Brok - September 10th, 2020
- Menkes SyndromeIndustry 2020 With Covid-19 Impact on Market Research by Size, Top Leading Countries, Companies, Consumption, Drivers, Trends, Forces... - September 8th, 2020
- Wexner Medical Center performs gene therapy brain infusion for Parkinson's disease - The Highland County Press - September 5th, 2020
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Machines Market: How the Business Will Grow in 2027? - The News Brok - September 5th, 2020
- Next-Generation Sequencing Market Size to Reach US$ 31,411.3 Mn, Introduction of Rapid Sequencing Technologies Drives the Market: Fortune Business... - August 22nd, 2020
- Brain Stimulators Market: Rise in incidence of neurological disorders is expected to drive the market - BioSpace - August 22nd, 2020
- Global digital PCR market size was USD 224.9 million in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 799.1 million by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 17.2% during... - August 22nd, 2020
- Global mucopolysaccharidosis treatment market size was USD 1.98 billion in 2018 and is projected to reach USD 4.37 billion by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR... - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Huntington's Disease Treatment Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2027)- By Drug Type, Treatment, End-Users, and Region. - Good... - August 12th, 2020
- After years of protest, a top hospital ended intersex surgeries. For activists, it took a deep toll. - USA TODAY - August 12th, 2020
- Global Bleeding Disorders Treatment Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Indication, Product Type, and Region. - Good Night, Good... - August 12th, 2020
- Advanced Wound Care Management Market: Chronic wounds to be highly lucrative segment - BioSpace - August 10th, 2020
- Investigation and management of erythrocytosis - CMAJ - August 10th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Top Manufacturers, Product Types, Applications and Specification, Forecast to... - August 9th, 2020
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market with Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Industry Business Outlook, Revenue, Trends and Forecasts 2024 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- The fight to end intersex surgeries at a top hospital took a deep toll on activists - PBS NewsHour - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Researchers Using Models To Understand COVID-19, Other News - Bio-IT World - August 7th, 2020
- Dr Mukesh Batra: The alternative medicine man - Livemint - August 7th, 2020
- Pompe Disease Treatment Market Supply Demand Report, Top Companies, Research Forecast, Analysis and (Volume and Value) and Growth to 2025 Shared in... - August 6th, 2020
- Molecular Diagnostics Market Economic Impact 2020: Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with Market Dynamics and Forecast... - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of TECH.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 1:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020 Key Players Abbott Laboratories,... - August 5th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 By End-User Demand, Emerging Trend, New Innovations, Future Prospect, Detailed Analysis and Forecast 2027 - MR... - August 4th, 2020
- Poignant photos reveal how sickness and healthcare touch so many facets of life - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Theraphy Market Future Prospects 2020 Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, Dynamics, Segments, Size and Demand... - August 4th, 2020