It may be a little distressing to notice, possibly for the first time, that you have thinning hair. For many of us, its a natural part of aging that doesnt necessarily need to be treated. But aging is only one of many factors that can cause or exacerbate thinning hairand some of these causes should be addressed.
Once you know whats causing the issue, it becomes a lot easier to figure out how to manage it. Below, SELF talked to several experts about ways to make your hair feel thicker and look shinier, as well as ways to prevent more hair thinning.
The first thing to know about hair loss is that its actually a bit complex. Your hair grows in three stages, SELF explained previously. These include a growth phase from a root in the hair follicle, a transitional phase when the growing stops, and a resting phase, after which the hair falls out and the follicle takes a break before growing another hair.
Its totally normal to lose between 50 and 100 hairs a day, according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), which you might notice on your pillow in the morning, on your hairbrush, or in the shower. If you go a few days without showering, you might notice more than a single days worth of hair in the shower, which may be a little disconcerting, but is still totally normal.
Youre born with about 100,000 follicles on your scalp, and youll never gain or lose any, the AAD says. However, as you age, some follicles may stop growing hair and you may experience hair loss (also called anagen effluvium). When and how this happens is influenced by a bunch of factors, including our genetics and the natural hormonal changes we experience as we age, Shilpi Khetarpal, M.D., dermatologist at Cleveland Clinic, tells SELF.
But you might also experience hair shedding at certain points in your life, a process thats separate from hair loss. Hair shedding (also called telogen effluvium) is more often caused by temporary changes in hormones, like giving birth, stopping hormonal birth control, or experiencing life stressors, like undergoing chemotherapy or recovering from a serious illness. Nutritional deficiencies, harsh hair products, and certain hair styles can also cause hair shedding, the AAD says.
If your hair is shedding, that means its falling out more quickly than it should be because its being shoved into the resting phase too early, SELF explained previously. But if youre experiencing hair loss, that means theres something stopping the hair from growing in the first place. And, because hair loss can be caused by different factors, its important to figure out which one youre dealing with before trying to treat it.
If you dont know if your thinning hair is due to hair shedding or hair loss, you should check in with an expert. Its also important to talk to a dermatologist if youre losing more than 100150 hairs per day or you notice other issues (bald spots, hair shafts that break easily, or an itchy or burning scalp), Alina G. Bridges, D.O., dermatologist and dermatopathologist at the Mayo Clinic, tells SELF. These could signal a more serious hair-loss issue or an underlying condition (like scalp psoriasis) that warrants professional treatment.
If youre not sure how many hairs youre losing in a single day (understandable) you can test it with the 60-second hair count: Comb your hair forward from the back of your head to the front for a full minute. Collect and count the hairs that were shed through this processyou should see between 10 and 20 strands, depending on your age. If you see more than that, you might be dealing with some excess hair loss. To get the most accurate idea of how many hairs youre losing, you might want to do this a few days in a row.
Once you know what youre up against, there are some easy ways to help manage thinning hair at home or with the help of an expert. Here are the top tips we learned from dermatologists and hair stylists on how to protect your hair and restore some of its fullness and shine.
You likely dont need to wash your hair every day. In fact, Samantha DelaFuente, a stylist at Marie Robinson Salons in New York and Miami, tells SELF that she recommends washing only two or three times a week. Dont be afraid of dirty hair, she says.
And dermatologists agree: Washing too often strips your hair of necessary oils, and washing infrequently can leave hair dull and limp, especially if you overuse dry shampoo, Dr. Bridges says. If you have natural hair, which tends to be drier and more prone to breakage, clean it even less frequently, Dr. Khetarpal says.
Moisturizing shampoos formulated without sulfateschemicals in shampoos that help clean but can also be drying on sensitive or dry scalpsare a safe bet for everyone. In particular, celebrity stylist Tym Wallace tells SELF he recommends Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo ($154, Bloomingdales or Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo ($24, Nordstrom).
Conditioner gives your hair shine and reduces static electricity, the AAD explains, which is why it improves the look and feel of dull or damaged hair. Apply to the ends of the hair and work your way up, DelaFuente says. A little goes a long way; the more conditioner you use, the flatter your hair will be.
Remove tangles with a wide-tooth comb and rinse with cool water, which closes the cuticle and makes the hair shiny, Dr. Bridges explains.
If youre looking for conditioners that can specifically help dull or thinning hair, Eric Leonardos, stylist at Ted Gibson, tells SELF he recommends Klorane Gel Conditioner with Peony ($20, Ulta), which contains soothing and hydrating ingredients, or Shu Uemura Muroto Volume Conditioner ($58, Shu Uemura), which has a lightweight formula that wont weigh down hair.
After shampooing and conditioning, try using a leave-in product, like a conditioner or detangler, which will boost moisture and provide heat protection before styling.
Wallace recommends the moisturizing and protecting Its a Ten Miracle Leave-In Conditioner Spray Product ($38, Ulta) as well as the truly multitasking Form Multitask 3-in-1 Leave-in Lotion ($32, Form Beauty).
Once a week, apply a deep conditioning mask for extra moisturizing powers, and leave on for 1520 minutes, Dr. Bridges says. Finish by rinsing with cool water.
Leonardos recommends LOreal Elvive Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm, which he says lends shine and smooths the hair cuticle ($8, Amazon), and Shu Uemura Ultimate Reset Hair Mask, which he explains imparts a smooth texture and smells divine ($68, Sephora).
DelaFuente swears by Milbon Plarmia Hairserum Treatment ($35, Amazon), which comes in formulas for fine-to-medium and coarse hair, and Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask With Prickly Pear Seed Oil ($71, Sephora), a product thats made without parabens and sulfates, which may be irritating to some sensitive scalps.
On his clients, Wallace uses Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask ($43, Amazon), made with moisturizing argan oil and shea butter, or Its a Ten Miracle Hair Mask ($32, Ulta), which is designed to nourish color-treated, heat-styled hair.
Rub a small amount of serum through your wet hair before styling or air-drying. In addition to adding shine and combating fly-aways, these products help to prevent frizz.
Wallace recommends Paul Mitchell Smoothing Super Skinny Serum ($21, Ulta), which also helps speed up the drying process, while DelaFuente swears by Alterna Haircares CAVIAR Anti-Aging Restructuring Bond Repair 3-in-1 Sealing Serum ($38, SkinStore), especially for damaged or drier hair.
As an alternative, oilssuch as argan, coconut, and jojobaprovide similar benefits as serums, but actually penetrate deeper into the hair, Dr. Bridges says. They can be applied to wet hair or to dry hair as an anytime treatment or shine enhancer. Leonardos recommends the custom hair oils from Prose ($48).
If styling with a hot tool, do your best to limit heat to a maximum of about 400 degrees Fahrenheit for normal hair, 390 degrees for color-treated, and 350370 degrees for fine, processed hair to avoid causing damage, Dr. Bridges says. Not all heat tools have temperature readingsor the ability to change the temperature, so it may be worth investing in a tool that does have those options if you heat style frequently, such as the CHI Temperature Control Hairstyling Iron ($100, Ulta) or Harry Josh Pro Tools 2-in-1 Ceramic Marcel Curling Iron ($185, Dermstore).
To get a little more lift, try applying volumizing root spray to your roots, then lightly adding mousse to the mid-lengths and ends, Leonardos suggests. In particular he recommends wallet-friendly VERB Volume Spray ($18, Amazon) or, for a longer-lasting option, Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray ($39, Dermstore).
For mousse, DelaFuente swears by Alternas Bamboo Volume Weightless Whipped Mousse ($22, Ulta), which provides long-lasting hold without making hair feel crunchy. And Wallace likes Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Spray Mousse ($19, Ulta). This product actually comes out of the can as a spray and then transforms into a mousse, which might make it a little easier to work with.
Then blow-dry at the roots, using hot or Velcro rollers, to add more volume and set the style. Finish with cool air and a texture spray, such as SGX NYC the Do-It-All 3-in-1 Dry Texture Spray ($9, Amazon), which Leonardos says lends a natural, matte texture; for a longer-lasting option without product build-up, try Oribe Dry Texturing Spray ($46, Dermstore). DelaFuente prefers Milbons Thickening Mist 4 ($26, Amazon), which she says doesnt leave hair feeling stiff or sticky.
One particular type of hair losstraction alopeciais caused by chronic stress on the hair follicle, often due to too-tight hair styles, and its especially common among black women. But if you can treat traction alopecia early on, you can adjust your habits and keep the condition from worsening; in fact, you can prevent hair loss from becoming permanent.
In particular, make sure youre not wearing hairstyles that pull on the scalplike high, tight ponytails, braids, or dreadsfor extended periods of time.
If changing up your styling habits hasnt helped, then it may be worth trying one of two daily-use OTC treatment options. The first one, minoxidil, is available in liquid or foam form at 2% and 5% concentrations, Dr. Bridges says.
This medication prolongs the growth phase of hair, she says, which prevents any more hair loss and may also stimulate new hair growth. However, be prepared to wait: Youll have to use minoxidil daily for at least four months before seeing any effects. And when you stop using it, any new hair is likely to just fall out. Also, its important not to use this if youre pregnant or nursing.
As an alternative, you can try hair-growth products containing a combination of redensyl, capixyl, and procapil (RCP), ingredients that are thought to target hair follicle stem cells, Dr. Bridges says. A study published earlier this year looked at the effects of RCP and minoxidil in 120 men with hair loss over 24 weeks. The results showed that those who received RCP treatment had significantly more improvement in their hair during the study compared to the minoxidil group. However, its not clear how well these results would translate to women or if the over-the-counter products out there containing these ingredients would stack up to those used in the study.
In some cases, youll need a dermatologists help to diagnose and manage your thinning hair. As we mentioned previously, thats especially true if you think you may be dealing with an underlying health condition or if you have specific symptoms, like bald spots or itchiness.
Depending on the root cause of your hair issues, your derm may recommend prescription medications, including birth control pills and spironolactone, Dr. Khetarpal says. These options can target hormone-related hair loss.
For a pricier, in-office approach, you could try platelet-rich plasma (PRP) scalp injections, which generally require repeated treatments that may cost around $1,000 per session. With this method, doctors draw blood, separate out the platelets, and then inject these platelets into the scalp. Platelets may help stimulate hair growth thanks to the growth factors they contain, Dr. Khetarpal says. But so far scientific evidence supporting PRP for this use has been mixed. For instance a double-blind study published in Dermatologic Surgery in 2016 found that more patients who received PRP for hair loss reported a substantial improvement in their hair loss and hair thickness compared to those in the placebo group. However, laboratory testing didnt find any significant difference between the results of those receiving PRP and those who got the placebo treatment.
Healthy hair requires adequate nutrients, especially things like vitamin D and biotin (vitamin B7). So if you think your hair loss could be due to an underlying nutritional deficiency, check with your doctor for a blood test. They may recommend supplementing with specific forms of the vitamins, Dr. Khetarpal says.
There are other serious conditions that can contribute to hair loss, including autoimmune disorders and nutritional deficiencies. If youre not sure whats causing your hair loss or you havent had any success with these other tips, its important to check in with a dermatologist to figure out whats going on.
- PRP for Hair Loss: Efficacy, Safety, and Cost - July 1st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Aviva Woman Is Providing Facial Treatments and Erectile Dysfunction Therapy in Salt Lake City - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2020
- Upgraded Regenerative Stem Cell Exosome Joint Injection Medical Therapy Launched - Newswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast 2028 | Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus, Ferring... - June 22nd, 2020
- Enso Discoveries, LLC is Excited to Announce the Launch of a Human Health DivisionEnso DoctorsLed by Newly Appointed VP of Human Health, Jim Long, MT... - June 18th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Exhausted all options? This procedure may just do the trick - Express - June 12th, 2020
- Doctor has seen a surge in men asking for penis injections - Metro.co.uk - June 7th, 2020
- Are competitive sports doing you more harm than good? - Starts at 60 - June 5th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis,... - May 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on JOINT PAIN INJECTION MARKET CURRENT INDUSTRY STATUS, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES, TOP KEY PLAYERS, TARGET AUDIENCE AND FORECAST 2020 TO... - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Strategically Analysis of Each Submarket With Respect To Individual Growth... - May 28th, 2020
- 10 Things You Should Know About Dermal Fillers Before Getting Them Our Interview With Dr Nicholas Toscano On Juvederm - CelebMix - May 28th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Combining art and science in a medical practice - Coast Mountain News - January 27th, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019