The news that Formula One legend Michael Schumacher was moved to a hospital in Paris last week for pioneering stem cell therapy has provoked a fever of hope and speculation among fans that his condition could be improved.
After suffering devastating head injuries in a ski accident almost six years ago, Schumacher was placed in a coma for six months and has been receiving treatment at his home in Switzerland. He has not been seen in public since the accident.
His privacy is closely guarded and, while it is understood he cannot walk or stand, and, according to former Ferrari manager, Jean Todt, he may still have trouble communicating, nothing has been confirmed officially.
No wonder then that fans have been so excited to hear Schumacher is now under the care of world-renowned cardiac surgeon Philippe Menasch, described as a "pioneer in cell surgery" at the Georges-Pompidou hospital in Paris.
READ MORE:* Schumacher 'conscious' after treatment*Corinna Schumacher provides rare update*Schumacher 'struggles' to communicate*Mick Schumacher trying to emulate his dad
Stem cells are cells that can differentiate or change into other types of cell, opening the possibility of replacing damaged cells with healthy ones. Scientists have been looking into their use since the Sixties, most successfully so far in cases of cancers of the blood or bone marrow. More than 26,000 patients are treated with blood stem cells in Europe each year.
And since the Eighties, skin stem cells have been used to grow skin grafts for patients with life-threatening burns; most recently, a new stem cell-based treatment to repair damage to the cornea (the surface of the eye) after an injury like a chemical burn, has received conditional approval in Europe.
But their flexibility offers hope for lots of illnesses and conditions including heart disease, MS and macular degeneration and clinical trials are progressing in all these areas. Chronic spinal cord injury is being researched with some promise, thanks to the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, set up after actor Christopher Reeve was paralysed in a riding accident.
Crucially, for cases such as Schumacher, stem cells are also being explored for neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's and traumatic brain injuries like the one he suffered in a skiing accident in December 2013.
Head injuries are difficult to treat as brain damage cannot be undone and each case is different. Asked for comment by The Daily Telegraph, the hospital responded that they could neither confirm nor deny the presence of Schumacher.
However, if he is under the care of Menasch, it is likely he will have had stem cells delivered by an IV to the area of the body where it is felt they could work best - whether that is his head or heart.
Paris' Georges-Pompidou Hospital, where Michael Schumacher is reportedly a patient.
In a recent interview online, Menasch explained that stem cell treatment for cardiac conditions - his particular area of expertise - is in its infancy. "Nobody really knows how stem cells are working," he said. "They do not permanently transplant into the myocardium [the muscular tissue of the heart] - after a couple of days or weeks, they just disappear.
"But you still may have a functional benefit as during their transient stay in the heart," he explains in the Future Tech podcast, "as the cells release molecules into the tissue. The hypothesis is that the repair comes from the heart itself, stimulated by these molecules."
Should the stem cells have been intended for Schumacher's brain injury, research suggests that the treatment has potential. A University of Plymouth study published in the journal Cell Reports in June found that neural stem cells could be used to "wake up" and produce new neurons (nerve cells) and surrounding glial cells in the brain.
The research is in its infancy, says lead author Dr Claudia Barros, from the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine at the University of Plymouth, who acknowledges there is still a long way to go until such findings can be translated into human treatments.
"We are working to expand our findings, to bring us closer to the day when human neural stem cells can be controlled and efficiently used to facilitate brain damage repair, or even prevent brain cancer growth that is fuelled by stem-like cells," she says.
A Chinese study published last month in the journal Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience examined the current state of progress into the effects of stem cell therapy on traumatic brain injury. But the researchers from Zhejiang University, Hangzhou warned much more work was needed: "Although a large number of basic studies have confirmed that stem cells have good effect in the craniocerebral injury," they said, "the safety of stem cells, the route of injection, the time of injection and the specific mechanism are all factors that affect the clinical application of stem cells, and are the important research point in the future study."
Mick Schumacher doesn't mind the comparisons with his seven-time F1 champion father Michael.
In the UK, some applications of stem cell medicine are already available privately, although tightly controlled by the Human Tissue Authority and not in the brain.
Simon Checkley, CEO at the Regenerative Clinic in Brighton, explains: "It is possible to get stem cells from sources outside your body, like the umbilical cord or Wharton's jelly [the vitreous humour in the eyeball], but in the UK we can only take stem cells from our own bodies.
"It is possible to get them donated, but it is safer to use your own."
In some countries, stem cells can then be manipulated in a laboratory but that is illegal in the UK, says Checkley. "There is a concern with cultured stem cells which have been bred in a Petri dish that they may keep proliferating after you transplant them into a body. That, having triggered their growth, you can't stop it and no one knows what might happen."
At the Regenerative Clinic, stem cells are taken from adipose fat, where they are plentiful, and then injected back into the area to be treated - mostly arthritic joints.
"We are seeing fantastic results," Checkley says, "with reduced pain and improved mobility for 80 per cent of patients." He is considering a clinical trial which could see the treatment pass through the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and become available on the NHS.
The therapy is still only four years old, he emphasises. "We have treated 1000 patients so far and around the world, it's about 40,000. We need longer-term studies."
Michael Schumacher has not been seen in public since suffering a serious brain injury in a skiing accident nearly six years ago.
This type of stem cell treatment is also offered in the UK for post-menopause vaginal atrophy and stress incontinence, Checkley says, plus the genital skin condition lichen sclerosis. In all these cases, he says, the mechanism is the same: the stem cells are not replicating dead or dying cells but acting as signalling devices, alerting the body that this is an area where healing is needed.
For stem cells to work in more complex conditions, they would need to be manipulated, Checkley says. In cases of brain injury or disease, that would mean altering stem cells so that they could be targeted more precisely. But he believes the role would be similar: "The idea is they would go to the area of greatest damage and signal the body to regrow tissue there."
Cost would be a huge factor, he points out. A treatment for arthritis costs about 6000 (NZ$11,700) at the Regenerative Clinic but an IV-led treatment for brain injury with manipulated stem cells could cost up to 50,000 (NZ$98,000). But then what price recovery from a traumatic brain injury? Full recovery thanks to stem cells would be a prize beyond value.
Go here to read the rest:
Reported stem cell treatment could give hope to Michael Schumacher - Stuff.co.nz
- RenovaCare Receives FDA Conditional IDE Approval of CellMist System and SkinGun Device, Enabling Clinical Study for Safety and Feasibility - BioSpace - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 11th, 2020
- How European Startups Have Advanced Cancer T-Cell Therapy in... - Labiotech.eu - August 11th, 2020
- One in 10 women are affected by endometriosis. So why does it take so long to diagnose? - The Mandarin - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive... - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Market 2020 Report Forecasts the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Business and future opportunity - Good Night,... - August 11th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: Pfizer-backed BioNTech plans to seek FDA OK for a new vaccine 'as early as' October ahead of the election - Endpoints News - August 11th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Initiates Expanded Access Program with Plinabulin for Patients Suffering from CIN in the U.S. - GlobeNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Cell Isolation-Cell Separation Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Growing Demand for Vitronectin Products Market to Significantly Increase Revenues Through 2028 - Lake Shore Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Automated Cell Cultures Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Tissue Regeneration Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Apoptosis Assay Reagent Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Equipment Market by global COVID-19 impact analysis, industry trends, business strategies, opportunities and forecast to 2024 discussed in a... - August 10th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market In-Depth Survey and Future Outlook By 2027 | GE Healthcare, Merck KgaA, Miltenyi Biotec, etc. - Levee Report - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027... - August 10th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Data Breakdown by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application -... - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast... - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook,... - August 9th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Report 2020 Key Players Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.,... - August 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Artificial Meat Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027... - August 9th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market by Business Growth, Development Factors, Applications, and Future Prospects 2020 2024 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Seven principles to change the UK's research culture - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 9th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Pluripotent Stem Cell Market Outlook 2018-2025 by Emerging Trends, Technology, Leading Companies, And Future Forecast -... - August 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Mesoblast, Regeneus, U.S. Stem... - August 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Detail Analysis focusing on Application, Types and Regional Outlook - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 8th, 2020
- Koepka's biggest challenge is history in bid for 3 in a row - The Associated Press - August 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Pregnancy Help News - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Assay Market Set Explosive Growth By 2019 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare,... - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market to Reach a Value of Approximately US$ 450.5 Mn by the End of 2026 - Science Examiner - August 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on 2021-2026 Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Segmentation, Analysis by Recent Trends, Development & Growth by Regions - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Transplantatio Therapy Market Global Research and Analysis 2020 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- National STEM Scholars Announced for 2020 - PR Web - August 6th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Catholic News Agency - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market by Production Analysis, Current Trends 2024 Analysis of Regions with Top vendors, Market Dynamics, Types, Applications,... - August 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020