Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice. Charles F. Kettering, engineer-inventor
Walking in a fathers shadow ranges from being a challenge to being a prince. The latter is the case of Dr. Farzad Nahai, who relished the path of dad Dr. Foad Nahai, a well-respected professor and practitioner. Learn how their paths unfolded, one working with Navajo Indians and landing as the sole plastic surgeon in a dermatology group, the other a sought after worldwide plastic surgeon, author and speaker who has wielded a scalpel for 44 years.
All-American son Farzad Nahai graduated from the Westminster Schools. Math and science came easily to him, which put him on the path to medical school. He recalled, Dad was my hero. Back then, there were no computers, so at home I looked at his medical slides and over his shoulder in the operating room. Good thing was that I was not bothered by blood! During the summers, I was a scrub tech. He eventually sought out plastic surgery as an opportunity to be thoughtful, creative and solution-oriented.
Get The AJT Newsletter by email and never miss our top storiesFree Sign Up
Father and son practiced together for eight years, before the junior Nahai joined another specialty practice, MetroDerm, P.C., as the only plastic surgeon among 10 dermatologists.
Dr. Farzad Nahai enjoys following in his fathers footsteps.
About 70 percent of his practice is elective versus procedures such as skin cancer reconstruction. I practice the full spectrum of plastic surgery: faces, breasts, full bodies, and injectables. I also have fond memories of walking the hall with Dad discussing different surgeries and What should we do about that nose?
Earlier in his training, Farzad did something very unique. During medical school, he answered a random letter from the government to help Native Americans in Montana. I loved giving back and would do it all over again. Then the year between his general residency and specialization, he packed up for Shiprock, N.M., for a full year helping Navajos by performing general surgery, lumps and bumps and concurrently getting meaningful experience.
For whats new on the horizon, Farzad said, Theres a push for innovation in less invasive procedures in the filler category. Some of the newer ones are ultrasonic therapy, microneedling, and ThermiTight. PRP (platelet-rich plasma) are injections that can repair aged skin and stimulate hair growth (in the case of hair loss) and are becoming more common.
A lot of my patients are women in their 50s, 60s and even 70s who want to look refreshed. They want the outside to match the inside.
His father, Foad, was born in Tehran, where his family was in the insurance business. He later grew up in England. After medical school at the University of Bristol in the U.K., he came in 1970 to the United States and never left. He is known as one of the most respected fathers of plastic surgery and a prominent lecturer at medical schools and symposia, and is now publishing his third edition of the reference-textbook The Art of Aesthetic Surgery while serving as Jurkiewicz Chair in Plastic Surgery and professor at Emory University School of Medicine. In total, he has authored 14 books and is currently editor-inchief of Aesthetic Surgery Journal.
Among his current contributions to scientific advances is the reduction of the length of post-surgical scarring using endoscopy.
Dr. Foad Nahai is a prolific author and Emory University medical school professor.
Foads practice now is primarily elective surgery.
His earlier career included reattaching limbs for replantation instead of transplantation. He noted, Forty years ago the rejection medications were not reliable like they are today.
Starting from a baseline, one might ask, Do I need a facelift?
Foads response: Its not a matter of age. One 50-year-old might look 65, another 50-year-old may appear to be 40. Part of this is genetics. The other part is a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, limited exposure to the sun. Those with a healthy lifestyle tend to age more slowly. It might be surprising to note that patients as young as 40 come to Dr. Nahai for this determination. Injectables (fillers, Botox, etc.) are safe and appropriate for those not yet candidates for surgery. But in the long run, surgery will produce better results and be more cost-effective.
When asked what gives him the most pride, he touts his 50-year marriage and raising skilled and caring children. Professionally, I have trained over 100 surgeons who are both ethical and competent. So I would say training others to do well is the best reward.
Sentimentally I was always secretly hoping that Farzad would choose to follow me in a medical career, but I did not push him. I am lucky; it just came naturally to him.
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- Thinning Hair? Here are 8 Ways to Make It Fuller and Shinier - Self - December 15th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market Research : Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis | Allergan Plc., Pfizer... - November 25th, 2019
- A sound theoretical mechanism and clinical indication are not enoughthe case of Platelet Rich Plasma for Achilles tendon ruptures - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Key Drivers and Opportunities Till 2028 - True Version - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2028 - Trade Examiner - November 18th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market 2019 || What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'MarketResearch.Biz' - True Version - November 15th, 2019
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019
- How Cell Phone Addiction Is Making You a Victim of Major Disabilities - Entrepreneur - October 31st, 2019
- Skill Checkup: Knee Injection - Medscape - October 28th, 2019
- Dr. Raj & Stem Cell Therapy Innovation - LATF USA - October 18th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market By New Business Developments, And Top Companies | Allergan Plc, Pfizer, Sanofi - Healthcare News - October 17th, 2019
- PRP and IRAP: Where nature meets science in horse injury treatment - Horsetalk.co.nz - Horsetalk - October 15th, 2019
- Protective mediators help heal tendon cells by attacking inflammation - Health Europa - October 15th, 2019
- Injection therapy has many faces | News, Sports, Jobs - Marquette Mining Journal - October 9th, 2019
- Michelle Wie exclusive interview: How golf's great prodigy grew up - The Telegraph - October 9th, 2019
- Understanding When and How to Treat Inflammation - Flagstaff Business & Online News | Northern Arizona Local Newspaper - Flagstaff Business News - October 6th, 2019
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment for hair loss: Is PRP therapy effective and safe? - Times Now - October 1st, 2019
- Plymouth Argyle trio get special injections to speed up their recoveries from injury - Plymouth Live - September 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Market to Expand with Increasing Demand for Cosmetic Surgeries - The Midland Weekly - September 25th, 2019
- 49ers pass rusher Dee Ford will play through knee tendinitis this season - 49ers Webzone - September 25th, 2019
- Best Anti-Aging Tips and Products for Skin and Hair - HarpersBAZAAR.com - September 25th, 2019
- Rays' Tommy Pham: Hampered by multiple injuries - CBSSports.com - September 21st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections For A Bald Spot - Glamour UK - September 21st, 2019
- Bell, Marte hope to return before season's end - MLB.com - September 21st, 2019
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018