Thanks to the effects of sun damage, pollution, mindless rubbing (guilty), heavy-handed makeup removal (also guilty) and ageing, the skin around your eyes is the first area to show signs of decline. Were talking wrinkles, sagging and all the good stuff that makes you look even more tired than you actually are. Cool!
While the promise of youthful, taut, post-eyelid lift skin might sound like the best option going, if youre anything like us, you'll most likely be put off by the cost, risks and downtime involved. Because guys, surgery is a big deal, and theres no going back once the procedure has been performed.
But there are other options out there. Unlike eyelid lift surgery (which is also known as a blepharoplasty), plasma eyelid lift is the latest non-surgical procedure that helps tighten the eyelid skin, minimising the effects of eye ageing. The best part? It involves no incisions and requires minimal downtime.
A plasma eyelid lift is a procedure used to tighten, lift and rejuvenate the skin on the upper eyelid, all without surgery. And just FYI while it sounds like were talking about plasma found in the blood, were actually talking about plasma as a high-energy current. The fourth state of matter, plasma is an ionised gas able to conduct a large and sustained electrical current. The sun, fire and lightning bolts are examples of plasma, explains Natalie Abouchar, registered nurse and founder of Prive Clinic.
Without touching the skin, a hand-held device (which looks like a small pen) is moved over the surface of the eyelid to tighten the skin and encourage collagen production. The pen works by ionising gases in the air to create a small electrical arc, similar to a lightning bolt, that can be used to rejuvenate problem areas without damaging the surrounding areas, says Abouchar. The pen projects an ionised, low frequency plasma arc onto the skin surface, vaporising the skin at the point of contact and resulting in an instant contraction and tightening of skin fibres.
Feeling a little bit lost? To break it down, the device basically heats the dermis in the target area (your eyelids), which then sheds post treatment, tightening the skin and allowing fresher skin to form.
The treatment is fairly versatile and can be used on all different areas of the face (such as frown lines, nasolabial folds and crows feet), and can treat a wide range of skin conditions, including laxity and loss of texture. According to Abouchar, when used on the eye region the plasma eyelid lift can effectively reduce the amount of lax skin on hooded upper eyelids. Overall, it gives the eyes a more youthful, open and awake appearance.
According to Abouchar the procedure is suitable for people who are in the early stages of eye drooping with skin types one to three (people with pale white skin, fair skin and darker white skin). If the skin above the eyes is very heavy, a surgical eyelid lift may be a more appropriate treatment. During your consultation, your doctor or nurse will analyse your skin and let you know if you are a suitable candidate for this treatment.
Topical anaesthetic cream is applied prior to the ACCOR Plasma Pen Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift. This is left on for approximately 30 minutes. The treatment is then performed by placing dots in a particular pattern on the eyelid and lateral temple region. After it is completed, a powder and setting spray is applied to cover the dots and help heal the tissue.
Most people can expect around five days of downtime in which makeup cannot be worn. Redness and swelling will occur immediately post-treatment, with swelling peaking over the two days following treatment, says Abouchar. Its important not to ice the area as the swelling is an important part of the process. There will also be noticeable dot marks in the treatment area. These tiny, pinprick dots are portions of ablated tissue, formed into scabs. These last for around four to seven days and youll need to avoid picking them or getting them wet to prevent scarring. Once the scabs have fallen off, you can resume normal activities and wear makeup to cover any redness that may remain.
Abouchar says two treatments are generally required, however, whether or not more treatments are needed will depend on the degree of laxity. The full effect of the initial treatment is visible after 12 weeks. At this point, a second tightening and lifting treatment may be performed, if required.
If the plasma eyelid lift treatment doesnt sound like your jam, dont worry theres still a bunch of other non-surgical alternatives to going under the knife. Non-surgical eye rejuvenation can be achieved with a mix of anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers. Injecting a neurotoxin superficially into the orbicularis oculi muscle (just under the eyebrow and lateral to the eye) and into the glabella (the frown lines) will relax the muscles responsible for a drooping eye area, explains Abouchar. This results in a lifting of the eyebrows and a fresher, more youthful appearance. Dermal fillers can also be injected into the temple and deep under the muscle on the brow to lift the eyebrows and create a more open-eyed look.
Radio frequency can also be used to lift and tighten loose skin around the eyes. Here, a combination of skin needling and radio frequency energy triggers the bodys natural healing response, thus stimulating collagen and elastin production. The radio frequency causes a thermal reaction in the tissue, resulting in tighter skin, reduced fine lines and a brighter, more radiant eye contour, says Abouchar.
Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is another non-surgical option that can be used to tighten sagging skin on the face (you can read more about whats involved in a PRP treatment here). A 100 per cent natural option, vampire injections (using your own blood) can also be used to thicken and strengthen sagging, crepey skin in the eye contour and boost collagen for a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles.
For more non-surgical treatment options, check out everything you need to know about thread lifts.
Main image credit: Getty
- Vampire Facial 2021: My Before and After Pics of PRP Microneedling - Cosmopolitan - August 5th, 2021
- Treatment of Keloids Using PSR Combined with Radiation. | CCID - Dove Medical Press - August 5th, 2021
- Case study: Use of platelet-rich plasma and bone marrow ... - July 7th, 2021
- The PRP Alternative to Knee and Other Surgeries - Sahuarita Sun - February 19th, 2021
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market: Applications, Business Trends by Size 2021: Growth Statistics and Key Players Insights by Types, and Development Analysis... - February 19th, 2021
- Coping With Cancer Treatment's Effects on Skin - Curetoday.com - February 19th, 2021
- Ricki Lake Opens Up About Her Stunning Hair Transformation and How Sex Is the Best Anti-Ager - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- Why Hair Goes Gray, and How to Cover It If You Want To - NewBeauty Magazine - January 31st, 2021
- The 9 Best Hair Growth Products That Work, According to Dermatologists - PureWow - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Teresa Cody Offers Solution For Health And Wellness In 2021 - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 23rd, 2021
- Dr. Maro: Swim, PRP and physical therapies highlight pet health successes in 2020 - The Times - December 31st, 2020
- Will Insurance Cover Knee Surgery and Alternative Treatments? - Green Valley News - December 31st, 2020
- I tried the infamous Vampire Facial - image.ie - December 31st, 2020
- 3 business updates to know on Williams Field Road in Gilbert - Community Impact Newspaper - December 31st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections: Purpose & Effectiveness - December 21st, 2020
- Business beat - The Spokesman-Review - December 21st, 2020
- Global Platelet Rich Plasma Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period... - December 18th, 2020
- Walking The Tight Rope With Dinelson Lamet | RotoGraphs Fantasy Baseball - fangraphs.com - December 18th, 2020
- Insiders Advice: Prevent Shoulder Surgery With These 5 Options (12/17/20) - Southeast Missourian - December 18th, 2020
- Facts you should know about Osteoarthritis - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- Garrett Richards is the epitome of a risk-reward free agent - Bless You Boys - December 18th, 2020
- Las Vegas woman allegedly held 'vampire facial' parties while posing as nurse - New York Post - December 1st, 2020
- PRP vs Corticosteroid Injections Which is the Ultimate Solution - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - November 24th, 2020
- What is Osteoarthritis and what are the symptoms? - Monitor - November 24th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma in Patients with Partial Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears or Tendinopathy Leads to Significantly Improved Short-Term Pain Relief and... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Outlook 2020 Scope and Business Growth Overview by Regions, Latest Trends, and Opportunities Forecast to 2024 - The Daily... - November 9th, 2020
- Platelet-rich Plasma Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 9th, 2020
- Wrist Pain: Causes and Available Treatment Options - Lifesly.com - October 30th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Analysis 2020 Growth Prospects and Future Scenario of Industry Size and Share and Market Insights Forecast to 2024 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Trend, Growth, COVID-19 Impact, Current Industry Figures and Forecast 2026 -... - October 28th, 2020
- Accident & Injury Solutions Is the Place to Throw Light on Regenerative Medicine in Mesa and Phoenix, Arizona - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Kim Kardashians changing face as she hits 40 and why shes probably about to reach for the Botox - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Laugh Lines Are Totally Normal How To Ease Them Sans Injections - mindbodygreen.com - October 17th, 2020
- PRP injections Treatment for Knee - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 15th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the Kim Kardashian vampire facial - Emirates Woman - October 10th, 2020
- Interventional Pain Management Specialist Dr. Kaliq Chang with Atlantic Spine Center offers tips on emerging treatment using your body's own cells -... - October 10th, 2020
- Why some COVID-19 survivors are losing their hair - 13WMAZ.com - October 7th, 2020
- A Painless Future Provides the Incentive Behind Cytonics - InvestorPlace - October 7th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Top Manufactures, Regions, Trends, Breakdown, Types, Applications, Market Size and Forecasts 2020-2027 - Crypto Daily - October 7th, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2020 Global Growth Rate by Recent Developments, Market Trends, Size, Share and Latest Technology, Forecast Research Report... - October 7th, 2020
- Love Island's Jack Fincham unveils epic weight transformation amid boxing return - Mirror Online - September 22nd, 2020
- Could platelet-rich plasma therapy be the answer to your hair loss? - VOGUE India - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 21st, 2020
- A passion for taking care of Steamboat's active patients - Sky Hi News - September 19th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 14th, 2020
- Dr. Andreas Sauerbrey: The right orthopaedic diagnosis is essential to proper care - Sky Hi News - September 12th, 2020
- How Dr. Frank Roach Succeeded in the Field of Dentistry - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 12th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Male Pattern Baldness gets longer effect QR678 therapy, more effective than Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology Published... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: New Investment Opportunities Emerge to Augment Segments in Sector by 2026 - The... - September 4th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market 2020: Share Value Analysis of Top Key Players, Global Size, Consumption Analysis, Trends Forecast to 2024 | Industry... - September 4th, 2020
- New orthopedic provider joins team in Big Rapids - The Pioneer - September 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Orange... - August 31st, 2020
- Platelet rich plasma and thicker hair | Empty Nest - NorthFulton.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Covid 19 Impact Analysis | Global Industry Trends, Growth, Share, Size and Forecast - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Porzingis hoping to play again this season if Mavs can get past Clippers - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 22nd, 2020
- When your hair falls off and leaves scars - The Star, Kenya - August 22nd, 2020
- PRP versus Hyaluronic Acid Injections for Knee OA: Cost-Effectiveness Analysis - DocWire News - August 15th, 2020
- Lowrie to have injections for knee pain relief - MLB.com - August 15th, 2020
- Yes, People Are Reportedly Losing Hair Due to Stress From the Pandemic - POPSUGAR - August 15th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market 2020-2028 Covid-19 Updates With Key Players Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Another Nice Thing We Can't Have in 2020: Shohei Ohtani's Pitching - FanGraphs - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging Growth Factors... - August 3rd, 2020
- PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma | Florida Sports and Family ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rockies vs. Athletics - Game Recap - July 28, 2020 - ESPN - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Share, Company Profiles, Emerging... - July 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Specialist - Farmington, NM ... - July 29th, 2020
- A & # 39; s slam Angels in the first MLB game with a new additional entry rule - NewsDio - July 26th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma |Therapy (PRP) Everything You Need to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: Why is the offense cold? Who is the Opening Day second baseman? - Chico Enterprise-Record - July 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Lip Augmentation Market Trends, Growth Insights, Share Estimation, Size Projection and Industry Dynamics By 2023 - Reported Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - The Mercury News - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Oroville Mercury-Register - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Woodland Daily Democrat - July 22nd, 2020
- What is Trending in Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? -... - July 21st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for the Knee: Does It Work? - July 21st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Living Well: PRP: A Promising Treatment - The Daily Progress - July 19th, 2020
- What Are the Different Types of Knee Injections? Pain Management - MedicineNet - July 16th, 2020