Words by Kathy Michaels Photographs by Phil McLachlan
My life has been simple run fast, turn left, Dr. Andrew Dargie said over coffee one day in late fall, offering up one last thought on his work in the Okanagan and the path he took to get here.
It was an endearing understatement from someone who is clearly more comfortable with taking on big tasks than boasting about how he completed them. As a former All-American sprinter who earned a full-ride scholarship at Stanford University, speed is certainly one of the defining points of Andrews life. He competed for Team Canada numerous times, turning left over and over again as he rounded a track with some of the fastest people on the planet.
Simple, however, is where the sports metaphor falls apart.
For all his athletic abilities, academics were a priority for Andrew, who, after Stanford, obtained his medical doctor designation from the University of Calgary. In a newspaper article about him from that time in his life, a third dimension of his personality became clear. He is a compassionate individual. During medical school he found time to take on a meaningful volunteer commitment with the schools aboriginal health program. For this work he was awarded the Canadian Student Athlete Community Service Award.
His next step was entering vascular surgery residency in Manitoba.
Ultimately, he said, I realized that I loved acute care medicine, but I didnt love the operating room. So I transferred residency programs and obtained my CCFP designation and moved to the Okanagan.
Since arriving, hes worked as an emergency room physician at Penticton Regional Hospital as well as South Okanagan General Hospital. At the latter location, he is the department head of Emergency Medicine.
While in the Okanagan, Andrew took on another passion and is bringing to it the same focus and dedication he has for everything else. This passion is medical aesthetics. In addition to his ER work, he now practises advanced medical aesthetics in both Kelowna and Vernon.
I decided I love performing procedures and found something to help balance working in emergency, he said. Its personally satisfying. Im able to offer procedures that are a blend of art and science and people are appreciative and happy.
Its an interesting time in a rapidly expanding industry. Not so long ago, cosmetic surgery was the clear-cut facial rejuvenation strategy.
This can be a definitive solution to reduce the signs of aging, albeit an invasive, sometimes painful experience typically reserved for the socially elite and requiring significant down time for recovery.
Now, more people are seeking anti-aging services that are less invasive, have less down time and are more affordable. Just a few facial rejuvenation techniques that Andrew offers are botox, dysport, fillers and platelet-rich plasma injections. The clinics he works at offer lasers, CoolSculpting, microdermabrasions and chemical peels, amongst numerous other procedures and skin-care treatments.
While minimally invasive rejuvenation procedures are in high demand, the relative newness of the industry has created some issues and it is not as closely regulated as it perhaps should be. This was made plain in recent months as a non-medical civilian in the Vancouver area passed herself off as a doctor and injected dermal fillers into countless unwitting clients at a spa. She used an altered photocopy of a College Certificate of Licensure to convince medical suppliers that she had a medical licence and was certified to practise in British Columbia. In any other field of medicine it would sound ludicrous, but that it happened at all lays bare the fact that checks and balances are lacking.
Thats something Andrew worries about. And this is why he founded Aesthetics Training Canada, which offers the botox course and the filler course.
Ensuring medical professionals are properly trained is of the utmost importance. There are people injecting without any formal training in facial anatomy or rejuvenation. I said, how can I change this and provide a safe and standardized way for medical professionals to expand their scope of practice to include medical aesthetics? That was the impetus for offering these new comprehensive courses.
There are also clear gaps in proper medical care.
We have patients come in who have been getting procedures elsewhere for years, and when I go to take them through the consent process, they say, Wait, there are risks with these procedures? I was told there were zero risks, Andrew said. This shocks me. Thats not proper medicine and it really bothers me. Some people think about patients in terms of syringes or units. Or some prioritize how fast they can get a patient in and out of the door. This type of practice doesnt warn patients that there are, in fact, risks to consider.
To start creating the change he wants to see in the industry, each of Andrews treatment rooms has anatomy cards so he can take patients through what hes doing, what the risks are and how they can be mitigated.
There are all sorts of things we can do to optimize patient care, he said. If Im in emergency, whether its something as simple as cutting out a mole, or something more complicated like a cardioversion, we always take people through the risks and benefits, and it should be no different in medical aesthetics. Patients must consent and they must be educated that these are not completely harmless procedures and should be performed by experienced medical professionals only.
Adverse events can occur and these can be devastating, Andrew said. The results of shoddy, haphazardly conducted work can be disfiguring or worse even blinding and he wants to prevent this.
He also wants to bring back a more natural look.
People that come to see me get full transparency, and a natural look, he said.
The day before the interview, Andrew said he had turned away four patients who had come in seeking lip filler treatment.
Hed told them, I think your lips are already full enough and we want you to look natural.
They may go down the street and get that duck lip. But our patients arent getting that. Theyre going to get an honest and fair assessment and can expect a refreshed, natural look.
Interestingly, the four who were turned away were receptive to feedback and appreciated hearing his honest and clear communication.
Andrew has accomplished a lot in his life and is bound to take on more. What makes him different than others, however, is that he makes things look easy. He has a light and pleasant demeanour that puts people speaking to him at ease. If you didnt know better, it would be possible to believe that he did have a simple life, remarkable only by his ability to go fast and turn left.
More info at http://www.drdargie.com
Story courtesy of Boulevard Magazine, a Black Press Media publication
Like Boulevard Magazine on Facebook and follow them on Instagram
- PRP for Hair Loss: Efficacy, Safety, and Cost - July 1st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Aviva Woman Is Providing Facial Treatments and Erectile Dysfunction Therapy in Salt Lake City - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2020
- Upgraded Regenerative Stem Cell Exosome Joint Injection Medical Therapy Launched - Newswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast 2028 | Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus, Ferring... - June 22nd, 2020
- Enso Discoveries, LLC is Excited to Announce the Launch of a Human Health DivisionEnso DoctorsLed by Newly Appointed VP of Human Health, Jim Long, MT... - June 18th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Exhausted all options? This procedure may just do the trick - Express - June 12th, 2020
- Doctor has seen a surge in men asking for penis injections - Metro.co.uk - June 7th, 2020
- Are competitive sports doing you more harm than good? - Starts at 60 - June 5th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis,... - May 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on JOINT PAIN INJECTION MARKET CURRENT INDUSTRY STATUS, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES, TOP KEY PLAYERS, TARGET AUDIENCE AND FORECAST 2020 TO... - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Strategically Analysis of Each Submarket With Respect To Individual Growth... - May 28th, 2020
- 10 Things You Should Know About Dermal Fillers Before Getting Them Our Interview With Dr Nicholas Toscano On Juvederm - CelebMix - May 28th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- Thinning Hair? Here are 8 Ways to Make It Fuller and Shinier - Self - December 15th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019