It probably began with an accident thousands of years ago. According to one legend, rain washed the fat and ash from frequent animal sacrifices into a nearby river, where they formed a lather with a remarkable ability to clean skin and clothes. Perhaps the inspiration had a vegetal origin in the frothy solutions produced by boiling or mashing certain plants. However it happened, the ancient discovery of soap altered human history. Although our ancestors could not have foreseen it, soap would ultimately become one of our most effective defenses against invisible pathogens.
People typically think of soap as gentle and soothing, but from the perspective of microorganisms, it is often extremely destructive. A drop of ordinary soap diluted in water is sufficient to rupture and kill many types of bacteria and viruses, including the new coronavirus that is currently circling the globe. The secret to soap's impressive might is its hybrid structure.
Soap is made of pin-shaped molecules, each of which has a hydrophilic head -- it readily bonds with water -- and a hydrophobic tail, which shuns water and prefers to link up with oils and fats. These molecules, when suspended in water, alternately float about as solitary units, interact with other molecules in the solution and assemble themselves into little bubbles called micelles, with heads pointing outward and tails tucked inside.
Some bacteria and viruses have lipid membranes that resemble double-layered micelles with two bands of hydrophobic tails sandwiched between two rings of hydrophilic heads. These membranes are studded with important proteins that allow viruses to infect cells and perform vital tasks that keep bacteria alive. Pathogens wrapped in lipid membranes include coronaviruses, HIV, the viruses that cause hepatitis B and C, herpes, Ebola, Zika, dengue, and numerous bacteria that attack the intestines and respiratory tract.
When you wash your hands with soap and water, you surround any microorganisms on your skin with soap molecules. The hydrophobic tails of the free-floating soap molecules attempt to evade water; in the process, they wedge themselves into the lipid envelopes of certain microbes and viruses, prying them apart.
"They act like crowbars and destabilize the whole system," said professor Pall Thordarson, acting head of chemistry at the University of New South Wales. Essential proteins spill from the ruptured membranes into the surrounding water, killing the bacteria and rendering the viruses useless.
In tandem, some soap molecules disrupt the chemical bonds that allow bacteria, viruses and grime to stick to surfaces, lifting them off the skin. Micelles can also form around particles of dirt and fragments of viruses and bacteria, suspending them in floating cages. When you rinse your hands, all the microorganisms that have been damaged, trapped and killed by soap molecules are washed away.
On the whole, hand sanitizers are not as reliable as soap. Sanitizers with at least 60% ethanol do act similarly, defeating bacteria and viruses by destabilizing their lipid membranes. But they cannot easily remove microorganisms from the skin. There are also viruses that do not depend on lipid membranes to infect cells, as well as bacteria that protect their delicate membranes with sturdy shields of protein and sugar. Examples include bacteria that can cause meningitis, pneumonia, diarrhea and skin infections, as well as the hepatitis A virus, poliovirus, rhinoviruses and adenoviruses (frequent causes of the common cold).
These more resilient microbes are generally less susceptible to the chemical onslaught of ethanol and soap. But vigorous scrubbing with soap and water can still expunge these microbes from the skin, which is partly why hand-washing is more effective than sanitizer. Alcohol-based sanitizer is a good backup when soap and water are not accessible.
In an age of robotic surgery and gene therapy, it is all the more wondrous that a bit of soap in water, an ancient and fundamentally unaltered recipe, remains one of our most valuable medical interventions. Throughout the course of a day, we pick up all sorts of viruses and microorganisms from the objects and people in the environment. When we absentmindedly touch our eyes, nose and mouth -- a habit, one study suggests, that recurs as often as every 2 1/2 minutes -- we offer potentially dangerous microbes a portal to our internal organs.
Washing with soap and water is one of the key public health practices that can significantly slow the rate of a pandemic and limit the number of infections, preventing a disastrous overburdening of hospitals and clinics. But the technique works only if everyone washes their hands frequently and thoroughly: Work up a good lather, scrub your palms and the back of your hands, interlace your fingers, rub your fingertips against your palms, and twist a soapy fist around your thumbs.
Or as the Canadian health officer Bonnie Henry said recently, "Wash your hands like you've been chopping jalapeos and you need to change your contacts." Even people who are relatively young and healthy should regularly wash their hands, especially during a pandemic, because they can spread the disease to those who are more vulnerable.
Soap is more than a personal protectant; when used properly, it becomes part of a communal safety net. At the molecular level, soap works by breaking things apart, but at the level of society, it helps hold everything together. Remember this the next time you have the impulse to bypass the sink: Other people's lives are in your hands.
The New York Times
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Top Manufacturers,Segment Type s,... - May 29th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- The medicine of music: Tim Vallillee turns to song as therapy for cystic fibrosis and for life - TheChronicleHerald.ca - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Immunotherapy Before Surgery Could Advance Care of an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer - Newswise - April 29th, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Formation of Strategic Medical Advisory Team of Experts in Neuromuscular Care and Research - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020
- Scarborough brother and sister, aged 11 and 12, with the genetic cholesterol condition FH are helped by new clinic - The Scarborough News - March 14th, 2020
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Treatment Market to Exhibit a Spectacular CAGR of 28.9%; Growing Initiatives by Government Authorities for Pre-Diagnosis to... - March 7th, 2020
- Study maps landmarks of peripheral artery disease to guide treatment development - University of Illinois News - March 5th, 2020
- Misophonia: A Neurologic, Psychologic, and Audiologic... : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - March 5th, 2020
- Precision medicine in 2020: what barriers remain for drug developers? - pharmaceutical-technology.com - March 4th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market outlook with industry review and forecasts - Technology Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - News Times - March 4th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- When Treating Women With Ovarian Cancer, Gynecologic Oncologist Emphasizes Openness And Dedication Throughout Journey - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Lung-MAP: A five-year recap on the first master protocol trial in cancer research - The Cancer Letter - February 22nd, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Consumables Market Revenue Expected to Reach USD 6999 Million By 2027 - Northwest Trail - February 21st, 2020
- In Vitro Fertilization Market will Reach USD 36.39 Billion by 2026: Increasing Cases of Infertility Among Men to Positively Influence Growth, says... - February 20th, 2020
- Global Veterinary X-ray Market is Expected to Reach USD 1,167.47 Million by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Instant... - February 15th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Top Key Players, Size, Global Share, Trend, Segmentation, Demand, Opportunities And Forecasts To 2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 15th, 2020
- Outlook on the Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market to 2025 by Application, - News by aeresearch - February 1st, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Share, Technology, Included Features, Cost, Revenue, Manufacturers, Region, Applications and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Expedition 99 - January 31st, 2020
- UAB: 50 years of Improving Birmingham, Alabama and the World - Birmingham Times - January 31st, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Science... - January 31st, 2020
- What can hold back the hands of time? Scientists have looked at these five treatments - Ottawa Citizen - January 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Bulletin 99 - January 25th, 2020
- MDA Awards Venture Philanthropy Funding of More Than $1M to AavantiBio to Develop Gene-Targeting Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia - P&T Community - January 14th, 2020
- Oncocyte Announces the Commercial Availability of DetermaRx, the First Test for Chemotherapy Benefit Prediction in Patients with Early Stage Non-Small... - January 14th, 2020
- The Region's Health Leaders on What's New and What the Next Decade Will Bring - Business West - January 9th, 2020
- Endothelial Dysfunction Industry 2019-2025 Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Regional, Manufactures, Application and Forecast Research Report -... - January 9th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market is Expected to Reach USD 387.9 Million by 2025| Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical, Argos Technologies -... - January 9th, 2020
- Insights on precision oncology developments in Japan and beyond - MobiHealthNews - January 6th, 2020
- Novel discovery in gene therapy to treat kidney diseases - WeForNews - January 5th, 2020
- Top Providers of the Alpha Thalassemia Market gives a New Dimension easing Measurement and Quantification - GuruFocus.com - December 27th, 2019
- This was the best health news over the last decade - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- US Network of Specialized Angelman Clinics to Double Thanks to New Partnership - Angelman Syndrome News - December 13th, 2019
- ICMR issues guidelines for gene therapy in India - Daily Pioneer - December 13th, 2019
- Mergers and Acquisitions Will Strengthen Payer Identity in 2020 - HealthPayerIntelligence.com - December 13th, 2019
- University of Iowa researchers say $18 million grant could soon lead to cure for rare brain disease - KCRG - December 13th, 2019
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Tribunal... - December 13th, 2019
- Cancer gene therapy backed by Blackstone gets trial win - BioPharma Dive - December 6th, 2019
- Counterculture 73: Summer Jam, Timothy Leary and the Sexual Revolution - Rolling Stone - December 6th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - The Market Stats News - December 6th, 2019
- World AIDS Day 2019: 37.9M people worldwide were living with HIV at the end of 2018 - USA TODAY - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019 Analysis by Industry Growth, Size, Share, Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Eastlake Times - November 30th, 2019
- Diabetic foot wounds kill millions, but high-tech solutions and teamwork are making a difference - Thehour.com - November 28th, 2019
- Macular Degeneration Treatment Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2019 2026 - The Chicago Sentinel - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of BLFS earnings conference call or presentation 12-Nov-19 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2019
- U.S. stem cell clinic offering unapproved therapies brings direct-to-consumer marketing to Ottawa - Ottawa Citizen - November 18th, 2019
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Dynamics, Pin-Point Analysis, Comprehensive Landscape, Demand Key Factors, Market Segments Regions, Therapy For Hemophilia... - November 18th, 2019
- Abuse in cell banking services a global problem - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 14th, 2019
- Anti-Aging Products and Therapies Market Outlook: Investors Still Miss the Big Assessment - The Market Journal - November 11th, 2019
- Tip Sheet: A clever way to make an AIDS vaccine; how a common cancer mutation actually drives cancer; and a new process that regulates red blood cell... - November 9th, 2019