For Tim Vallillee, music is medicine.
Something he can reach out to when hes hurting and when hes not. Something he can tap into for his physical health and his soul.
Something, most importantly,he can share with others.
Ive always felt that the fact I sing so much has been added therapy for me, says Vallillee, 52, who has cystic fibrosis.
Vallillee grew up in Yarmouth and lives in the Valley with his wife Agatha and son Isaiah. When COVID-19 came into play, he lost his gigs as venues were no longer open to the public.
When theyre taken away your musical brain says, this really sucks. But my CF brain says I cant do my thing, how am I going to tell how Im feeling?
Singing is a barometer that I use for the level of my health, he explains, likening it to an early warning device that lets him know how hes feeling inside especially when hes reaching for those high notes.
Ive got a pretty powerful voice but you cant do that without air in your lungs, he says. If that air is not in there it shows in my voice. It can be very subtle, but I notice it. I know something is brewing.
But where theres a will, theres a way.
Vallillee has been performing and sharing music Thursday evenings via Facebook live on his personal social media page. For his first session he put his iPhone in a tripod, sat on his bed and played for a couple of hours. Its now a highlight of his week.
Its great because I get to do what I like to do and its all part of my life therapy to have music in my life.
And hes happy to have that connection with others again.
In addition to Facebook you can also hear his music on YouTube. He also has a website to connect with others http://www.timothyv.ca.
Vallillee learned to play the guitar when he was 18. But it was something that happened when he was 16 that chartered his musical course.
My dad had a massive heart attack and when he was in the hospital . . . I promised my dad that if he wouldnt die I would learn to play an instrument, he says. He always wanted one of his four kids to learn an instrument. He always joked the best thing we could play was the record player.
His father recovered and a couple of years later reminded Vallillee of his promise. So the son grabbed a guitar and taught himself to play.
He ended up playing in many bands with friends. One of his first gigs was a variety show during Yarmouth high schools winter carnival in the 1980s.
Vallillee turns to music to express himself when hes feeling happy, sad, joyful, fearful sometimes bored and, more recently, heartbroken. His most recent original song is called Home To Me.
Its a song he wrote about what a special place Nova Scotia is. He wrote the song following the April mass shooting tragedy in the province. In the lyrics he picked out places and experiences in Nova Scotiathat he connects with and hopes others will as well.
I tried to encompass as many people as I could from Yarmouth to Cape Breton, he says.
Vallillee didnt want the song to just be about healing right now but a song people can listen to at any point in their life, whether next week, next month, or next year, and it will make them feel good.
Folks from this part of the country, are different from all the rest. We've got a special something deep down in our chest.
Nova Scotia is where I roam...Nova Scotia, that's my home. Nova Scotia is where I'll be ... Nova Scotia, is home to me.
Vallillee'swife, Agatha Bourassa, says not only is music where her husband shines, its a gift he gives to others.
This great song idea came about like every one of Tims songs have over the past two decades. Nobody really knows how he writes but he sparks an idea. Sometimes he pulls off on the side of the road and all of a sudden he regurgitates a song, she says. We just lived through this horrific tragedy in Nova Scotia and maybe no one feels like celebrating but Tim truly wrote that song to try and uplift every Nova Scotian. Lets celebrate life because every breath is worth it.
Indeed. Breaths are something those with cystic fibrosis cant take for granted. Which makes life challenging during the COVID-19 pandemic. People with immune deficiencies and underlying health issues are especially at risk.
Still, Vallillee isnt doing anything drastically different now than he does in normal times. Thats because, in a sense, hes always living in a COVID reality.
I used to say Im one bug away from getting sick and ending up in the hospital and dying in a week Ive always lived that perspective, he says, adding those with CF are very used to avoiding germs.
He calls himself a germ ninja.
Its not like I normally go around in a mask, but I will in a hospital. And Im vigilantabout always trying to wash my hands and avoid germs.
My wife, God love her, if she hears anybody coughing or sneezing in my direction even if were sitting a movie theatre and she hears somebody cough behind or near us its like weve got to move, he says. Shes seen me knock on deaths door quite a number of times. Thankfully we survived that.
Fortunately for Vallillee and his family, his health has been good in recent years. He hasnt been in the hospital in abouteight years and he attributes this to Kalydeco, a new medication he received six years ago. Its been a game-changer.
It basically goes in and changes CF genes inside my body on a genetic level. Because of that my lung function jumped about 20 per cent when I first got on it, he says. It virtually saved my life. I havent been in the hospital since. Ive had a couple of rounds of being sick, but never to the point that I was hospitalized.
The health of others with cystic fibrosis is also never far from Vallillees thoughts. Hes been promoting an online House of Commons petition aimed at helping Canadians with cystic fibrosis, cancer and other life-threatening diseases to have access to medicines and clinical trials that could save, prolong and/or improve their lives.
And then there is fundraising that has always been a special cause for Vallillees family, especially during May, which is Cystic Fibrosis Month.
COVID-19 will have an impact in terms of preventing people from coming together physically in large numbers to fundraise. In some areas that held traditional walks each May, virtual walks are being held instead.
In other words, COVID wont silence efforts in more ways than one.
On Saturday, May 16, from noonto 12 a.m. he and others will take part in an event called the 12-Hour Sing-A-Thon for Cystic Fibrosis via Facebook live. Darrin Harvey of 89.3 K-Rock will the celebrity host for the kickoff that day and Vallillee and Eben Higgins (both living with CF) will perform and also present numerous East Coast musicians from the region. The goal is to entertain, raise awareness and fundraise. Information about 12-Hour Sing-A-Thon for Cystic Fibrosis can be found on Facebook.
Vallillee is the second oldest person that he knows of in Nova Scotia living with cystic fibrosis.
Every cystic has this timeline, but we dont know what the timeline is, its all dependent on how healthy we are, if we take care of ourselves, if we get exposed to some bug, he says.
But Vallillee doesnt focus on getting sick. Instead, his focus is always on staying well.
And thats where his songs help.
Its the medicine of music, he says.
And he hopes its contagious.
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common fatal genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults. At present, there is no cure.
CF causes various effects on the body, but mainly affects the digestive system and lungs. The degree of CF severity differs from person to person, however, the persistence and ongoing infection in the lungs, with the destruction of lungs and loss of lung function, will eventually lead to death in the majority of people with CF.
Typical complications caused by cystic fibrosis are:
It is estimatedone in every 3,600 children born in Canada has CF. More than 4,300 Canadian children, adolescents, and adults with cystic fibrosis attend specialized CF clinics.
Visit the Cystic Fibrosis Canada website to learn more and to see how you can donate.
You can also visit the Cystic Fibrosis Atlantic Canada website
CF is a multi-system disorder that produces a variety of symptoms including:
CF is a genetic disease that occurs when a child inherits two defective copies of the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis, one from each parent. Approximately, one in 25 Canadians carry one defective copy of the CF gene. Carriers do not have CF, nor do they exhibit any of the related symptoms.
When two CF carriers have a child, there is a 25 percent chance that the child will be born with CF. There is also a 50 per cent chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25 per cent chance that the child will not be a carrier, nor have CF.
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market Segmentation, Trends, Growth, Competitive Analysis and Geographical Outlook till 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 16th, 2020
- Bone Wax Market Size to Represent 3.5% CAGR By 2023 | COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Competitive Outlook, Share Estimation and Industry Insights - Press... - July 16th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo - Jewish Life News - July 15th, 2020
- Covid 19- Impact Alpha Thalassemia Market Estimated To Experience A Hike in Growth | Global Industry Size, Growth, Segments, Revenue, Manufacturers -... - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Projected to Register a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Orthopedic Prosthetics Market Trend Analysis by Smith and Nephew, Touch Bionics Inc, Zimmer Boimet Holdings Inc., Stryker Corp - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Review, Future Growth, Global Survey, impact of COVID-19 on Indepth Analysis, Share, Key Findings, Company Profiles,... - July 14th, 2020
- Vision Care Market Size Projection, Cost Structure Analysis, Sales Statistics, Growth Estimation and Industry Insights By 2025 - Daily Research... - July 14th, 2020
- Osteoarthritic Pain Management Treatment Market Trend Analysis by Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Abbott, AbbVie Inc., Astellas Pharma -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact on COVID-19 Medical Tapes and Bandages Industry : Identify the types of companies that could potentially benefit from the impact of COVID-19 |... - July 14th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Daily Research Advisor - July 13th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Market Applications, Future Trends, Size Value, Growth Statistics, Sales Projection and COVID-19 Impact Analysis By... - July 13th, 2020
- Anastomosis Device Market Size, Product, Application, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 13th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Size & Share 2020 Research Report Covering COVID-19 Impact on Growth Analysis and Outlook till 2026 - Red & Black... - July 13th, 2020
- 3 Top Healthcare Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Growth is Projected to Grow at Sluggish Rate by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 12th, 2020
- Medical Imaging Market Outlook and in-Depth Analysis 2020 by Top Players: Spectrum Health, RamSoft, Inc., InHealth Group, Radiology Reports online -... - July 12th, 2020
- MEDICAL ANIMATION MARKET COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND WORLDWIDE DEMAND WITH TOP PLAYERS-INFUSE MEDIA GROUP, LLC., HYBRID MEDICAL ANIMATION, GHOST... - July 11th, 2020
- HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business Prospects, In-depth... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Carrier Screening Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2027|Myriad Genetics, Inc., Pathway Genomics,... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Market Size, Trends, Technological Advancement And Growth Analysis With Forecast to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Global Nicotine Addiction Treatment Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026|Sosei Group Corporation, CV... - July 10th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Briefing 2020, Trends, Applications, Types, Research, Forecast To 2025 - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tissue-Replacement Products Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - July 10th, 2020
- Global Ethical Pharmaceuticals Market Leading Manufacturers Profiles by Industry Size, Share, Trends and Forecast 2027|GlaxoSmithKline plc, Johnson... - July 10th, 2020
- Menkes Syndrome Market 2020 Industry Overview, Key Players Analysis, Emerging Opportunities, Comprehensive Research Study, Competitive Landscape and... - July 10th, 2020
- SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA OF THE HEAD AND NECK TREATMENT MARKET TO 2025: SANOFI, PFIZER INC., ELI LILLY AND COMPANY, BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY -... - July 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Size : Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - Jewish... - July 8th, 2020
- Autolus: Progress Developing Next Generation Car-T Therapies Ought To Lift Share Price - Seeking Alpha - July 8th, 2020
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Machines Market: How the Business Will Grow in 2027? - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Biogen, 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc - Jewish Life... - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending: Precision Cancer Therapies Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 | Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 3rd, 2020
- What is Trending in Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Share Value and Future Dynamics By 2023 - MENAFN.COM - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 by Opportunity, Demand, Recent trends, Major Driving Factors and Business Growth Strategies and Forecast 2026 -... - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: EGFR Mutation Test Market 2020: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 By End-User Demand, Emerging Trend, New Innovations, Future Prospect, Detailed Analysis and Forecast 2027 - 3rd Watch... - June 20th, 2020
- THAILAND'S EXCEPTIONAL STRENGTHS AS THE WORLD'S MEDICAL HUB - Bangkok Post - June 20th, 2020
- Biobanking Market to Reach $49.46 Billion by 2026; Recent Breakthrough Concepts have Indicated Potential in Covid-19 Vaccine, says Fortune Business... - June 20th, 2020
- Health News Roundup: Ahead of Trump rally in Oklahoma, coronavirus cases; Amazon forest fires could increase risk of COVID infections and more -... - June 20th, 2020
- Sexton Biotechnologies Partners with BioSpherix to Create a Fully-Enclosed, Modular Fill-Finish System with Rapid Deployment for Emerging Cell and... - June 17th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Share, Size, Demand, Forecast to grow at a steady CAGR | Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize... - June 17th, 2020
- Genomics Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Developing a COVID-19 Vaccine Quickly Proving to be a Daunting Task But Progress Still Expected - OrthoSpineNews - June 8th, 2020
- Twist Bioscience to Join Proteona in Global Alliance to Protect Immunocompromised Patients From COVID-19 Infection - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2020
- The subtle signs that point the way towards haemochromatosis - The Irish Times - June 2nd, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Top Manufacturers,Segment Type s,... - May 29th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Immunotherapy Before Surgery Could Advance Care of an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer - Newswise - April 29th, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Formation of Strategic Medical Advisory Team of Experts in Neuromuscular Care and Research - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why soap works - even on coronavirus - and how its discovery altered human history - Chattanooga Times Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020