NEW YORK, April 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ --TheMuscular Dystrophy Association(MDA) announced today the formation of its formal Medical Advisory Team who provide MDA with strategic guidance on issues that impact research and clinical care for people living with muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and related neuromuscular disorders more than 43 diseases. Each of the team members is a leading clinician at an MDA Care Center and is an internationally known expert in muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases. The MDA Care Center network spans over 150 locations at the nation's top medical institutions.
"We believe that engaging this team of world-class experts across neuromuscular diseases will enable MDA to lead the way in speeding the development of groundbreaking therapies and treatment paradigms that will transform the lives of those we serve," says Lynn O'Connor Vos, President and CEO of MDA. "These physicians are pillars of the neuromuscular disease community, each with focused expertise in specific diseases. Together, they will provide critical advice to MDA on our innovations in science and care programs and help ensure that we are making the maximum impact as the landscape of neuromuscular research, care and treatments evolve."
MDA's medical advisors will help lead the effort, along with more than 2,000 health care providers, to establish new clinical trials geared toward integration of MDA's innovative MOVR technology hub, which allows clinicians and researchers to share a wealth of disease-related information, establish professional protocols, and accelerate innovation.
Tonight, Dr. Barry Byrne, who will serve as chief medical advisor for the team, is joining MDA's EVP, Chief Advocacy & Care Services Officer, Kristin Stephenson for an MDA Facebook Live conversation about the precautions and best practices needed to protect the neuromuscular community in light of COVID-19. The event, scheduled for Thursday, April 2 from 6:00 to 6:30 pm EDT is accessible at https://www.facebook.com/MDAOrg/. The recording will be available for viewing after the event on MDA's COVID-19 resource page. The conversation will feature a live Q&A answering questions from people living with muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases including MDA families, and aims to provide the answers to questions regarding care duringthese uncertain times, and will cover topics related to preparedness, community impact, telemedicine and MDA's Care Center network of over 150 multidisciplinary care teams at top medical institutions nationwide.
Barry J. Byrne, MD, PhD, is an ardent supporter of newborn screening and has been an innovator and early adopter of new FDA-approved therapies that have the potential to alter the course of some neuromuscular disorders. He was the first physician to administer an approved gene therapy to a neuromuscular patient in the U.S.
"We are just beginning to realize the impact of the current revolution in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders. Newborn screening and access to newly-approved therapies are changing patients' lives when diagnosed with neuromuscular diseases; the MDA Care Center network is ready to provide these innovative treatments," says Dr. Byrne. "Disease-modifying therapies are no longer a thing of the future. There is an urgent need to bring innovative care, cutting-edge clinical research and new breakthrough treatments to the community."
Dr. Byrne will continue in his role as the associate chair of pediatrics and director of the Powell Gene Therapy Center at the University of Florida College of Medicine as he assumes this new position. He is also director of the MDA Care Center at the University of Florida.
Matthew B Harms, MD, will serve as a medical expert on ALS and other neuromuscular disorders. He is active in clinical research. Dr. Harms is associate professor of neurology at Columbia University's Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeonsand serves at MDA's ALS Care Center at Columbia University. Dr. Harms received MDA's Diamond Award for his work directing an international effort with whole genome and transcriptome sequencing to bring precision medicine to ALS treatments.
John W. Day, MD, PhD, completes the Medical Advisory Team. Dr. Day is professor of neurology and pediatrics and director, Division of Neuromuscular Medicine at Stanford University. He directs Stanford's MDA Care Centers, which uniquely integrate the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Pediatric and Transitional Neuromuscular Clinic with the Stanford Hospital Neuroscience Health Center's Neuromuscular and ALS Research and Clinic.The comprehensive team of investigators and clinicians in the Stanford Neuromuscular Program have helped develop novel gene modification and gene replacement treatments for spinal muscular atrophy, muscular dystrophy and ALS, and have spearheaded development of centralized data hubs like MDA's MOVR for neuromuscular disease.
About Barry J. Byrne, MD, PhD
Dr. Byrne is a clinician scientist who is studying a variety of rare diseases with the specific goal of developing therapies for inherited muscle disease. As a pediatric cardiologist, his focus is on conditions that lead to skeletal muscle weakness and abnormalities in heart and respiratory function. His group has made significant contributions to the understanding and treatment of Pompe disease, a type of neuromuscular disorder caused by an excess of a type of sugar (glycogen) in certain muscles. The research team has pioneered the use of adeno-associated virus (AAV) mediated gene therapy to restore heart and skeletal muscle function in Duchenne muscular dystrophy, Pompe, Friedrich's ataxia and other neuromuscular diseases. His group at the Powell Center has also established a series of new methods for large-scale AAV manufacturing to enable access for a wide variety of conditions.
About Matthew B. Harms, MD
Dr. Harms' post-doctoral and faculty work in neurogenetics led to the discovery of genes for dominant spinal muscular atrophy and limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 1D. He sees patients in the Eleanor and Lou Gehrig ALS Center, the Adult Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic, the Pediatric Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic, and until recently, the ALS Clinic of the Bronx VA Hospital. His laboratory straddles Columbia's Motor Neuron Center and the Institute for Genomic Medicine, with a focus on generating, integrating, and analyzing clinical, genomic and transcriptomic datasets for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neurological disorders.
About John W. Day, MD, PhD
Dr. Day has combined his expertise in synaptic physiology, genetics and neuromuscular medicine to help define the molecular mechanisms underlying myotonic dystrophy and other muscular dystrophies, neuropathies and ataxias. Under his leadership, the Stanford Neuromuscular Program is dedicated to the elucidation and treatment of neuromuscular diseases, integrating clinical care and clinical research with Stanford's basic science and translational programs. All Stanford pediatric and adult neuromuscular patients are asked to participate in research and are followed over time with functional evaluations. The Stanford Neuromuscular Program mission aligns fully with the goals of the MDA: to diagnose, investigate and characterize neuromuscular disorders precisely and completely; to develop novel treatments for neuromuscular disease; to incorporate novel treatments into the comprehensive care of patients with neuromuscular disorders; to advocate and support patients and families affected by neuromuscular disease so they can live life as fully and independently as possible; and to train the next generation of experts in neuromuscular diagnosis, care and research.
MDA is committed to transforming the lives of people affected by muscular dystrophy, ALS, and related neuromuscular diseases. We do this through innovations in science and innovations in care. As the largest source of funding for neuromuscular disease research outside of the federal government, MDA has committed more than$1 billionsince our inception to accelerate the discovery of therapies and cures. Research we have supported is directly linked to life-changing therapies across multiple neuromuscular diseases. MDA's MOVR is the first and only data hub that aggregates clinical, genetic, and patient-reported data for multiple neuromuscular diseases to improve health outcomes and accelerate drug development. MDA supports the largest network of multidisciplinary clinics providing best in class care at more than 150 of the nation's top medical institutions. Our Resource Center serves the community with one-on-one specialized support, and we offer educational conferences, events, and materials for families and healthcare providers. Each year thousands of children and young adults learn vital life skills and gain independence at summer camp and through recreational programs, at no cost to families. For more information visitmda.org.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/muscular-dystrophy-association-announces-formation-of-strategic-medical-advisory-team-of-experts-in-neuromuscular-care-and-research-301033945.html
SOURCE Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Top Manufacturers,Segment Type s,... - May 29th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- The medicine of music: Tim Vallillee turns to song as therapy for cystic fibrosis and for life - TheChronicleHerald.ca - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Immunotherapy Before Surgery Could Advance Care of an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer - Newswise - April 29th, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why soap works - even on coronavirus - and how its discovery altered human history - Chattanooga Times Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020
- Scarborough brother and sister, aged 11 and 12, with the genetic cholesterol condition FH are helped by new clinic - The Scarborough News - March 14th, 2020
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Treatment Market to Exhibit a Spectacular CAGR of 28.9%; Growing Initiatives by Government Authorities for Pre-Diagnosis to... - March 7th, 2020
- Study maps landmarks of peripheral artery disease to guide treatment development - University of Illinois News - March 5th, 2020
- Misophonia: A Neurologic, Psychologic, and Audiologic... : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - March 5th, 2020
- Precision medicine in 2020: what barriers remain for drug developers? - pharmaceutical-technology.com - March 4th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market outlook with industry review and forecasts - Technology Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - News Times - March 4th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- When Treating Women With Ovarian Cancer, Gynecologic Oncologist Emphasizes Openness And Dedication Throughout Journey - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Lung-MAP: A five-year recap on the first master protocol trial in cancer research - The Cancer Letter - February 22nd, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Consumables Market Revenue Expected to Reach USD 6999 Million By 2027 - Northwest Trail - February 21st, 2020
- In Vitro Fertilization Market will Reach USD 36.39 Billion by 2026: Increasing Cases of Infertility Among Men to Positively Influence Growth, says... - February 20th, 2020
- Global Veterinary X-ray Market is Expected to Reach USD 1,167.47 Million by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Instant... - February 15th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Top Key Players, Size, Global Share, Trend, Segmentation, Demand, Opportunities And Forecasts To 2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 15th, 2020
- Outlook on the Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market to 2025 by Application, - News by aeresearch - February 1st, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Share, Technology, Included Features, Cost, Revenue, Manufacturers, Region, Applications and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Expedition 99 - January 31st, 2020
- UAB: 50 years of Improving Birmingham, Alabama and the World - Birmingham Times - January 31st, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Science... - January 31st, 2020
- What can hold back the hands of time? Scientists have looked at these five treatments - Ottawa Citizen - January 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Bulletin 99 - January 25th, 2020
- MDA Awards Venture Philanthropy Funding of More Than $1M to AavantiBio to Develop Gene-Targeting Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia - P&T Community - January 14th, 2020
- Oncocyte Announces the Commercial Availability of DetermaRx, the First Test for Chemotherapy Benefit Prediction in Patients with Early Stage Non-Small... - January 14th, 2020
- The Region's Health Leaders on What's New and What the Next Decade Will Bring - Business West - January 9th, 2020
- Endothelial Dysfunction Industry 2019-2025 Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Regional, Manufactures, Application and Forecast Research Report -... - January 9th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market is Expected to Reach USD 387.9 Million by 2025| Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical, Argos Technologies -... - January 9th, 2020
- Insights on precision oncology developments in Japan and beyond - MobiHealthNews - January 6th, 2020
- Novel discovery in gene therapy to treat kidney diseases - WeForNews - January 5th, 2020
- Top Providers of the Alpha Thalassemia Market gives a New Dimension easing Measurement and Quantification - GuruFocus.com - December 27th, 2019
- This was the best health news over the last decade - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- US Network of Specialized Angelman Clinics to Double Thanks to New Partnership - Angelman Syndrome News - December 13th, 2019
- ICMR issues guidelines for gene therapy in India - Daily Pioneer - December 13th, 2019
- Mergers and Acquisitions Will Strengthen Payer Identity in 2020 - HealthPayerIntelligence.com - December 13th, 2019
- University of Iowa researchers say $18 million grant could soon lead to cure for rare brain disease - KCRG - December 13th, 2019
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Tribunal... - December 13th, 2019
- Cancer gene therapy backed by Blackstone gets trial win - BioPharma Dive - December 6th, 2019
- Counterculture 73: Summer Jam, Timothy Leary and the Sexual Revolution - Rolling Stone - December 6th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - The Market Stats News - December 6th, 2019
- World AIDS Day 2019: 37.9M people worldwide were living with HIV at the end of 2018 - USA TODAY - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019 Analysis by Industry Growth, Size, Share, Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Eastlake Times - November 30th, 2019
- Diabetic foot wounds kill millions, but high-tech solutions and teamwork are making a difference - Thehour.com - November 28th, 2019
- Macular Degeneration Treatment Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2019 2026 - The Chicago Sentinel - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of BLFS earnings conference call or presentation 12-Nov-19 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2019
- U.S. stem cell clinic offering unapproved therapies brings direct-to-consumer marketing to Ottawa - Ottawa Citizen - November 18th, 2019
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Dynamics, Pin-Point Analysis, Comprehensive Landscape, Demand Key Factors, Market Segments Regions, Therapy For Hemophilia... - November 18th, 2019
- Abuse in cell banking services a global problem - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 14th, 2019
- Anti-Aging Products and Therapies Market Outlook: Investors Still Miss the Big Assessment - The Market Journal - November 11th, 2019
- Tip Sheet: A clever way to make an AIDS vaccine; how a common cancer mutation actually drives cancer; and a new process that regulates red blood cell... - November 9th, 2019