Newswise In what is believed to be a first-of-its-kind study to evaluate the safety of a type of immunotherapy before surgery in patients with an aggressive form of skin cancer, researchers report that the treatment eliminated pathologic evidence of cancer in nearly half of the study participants undergoing surgery. In patients whose tumors respond, this treatment approach offers the potential to reduce the extent of surgery and may also slow or eliminate tumor relapses that often occur after surgery.
A report on the Merkel cell cancer trial, directed by investigators at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy and the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center in collaboration with the University of Washington Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and 10 other medical centers across the U.S. and Europe, will be published April 23 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. An additional review article by Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute experts, published Jan. 31 in the journal Science, also points to the potential strategic value of giving immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy earlier in the course of cancer treatment.
Merkel cell carcinoma is classified as an orphan disease by the National Cancer Institute, diagnosed in approximately 2,000 people annually in the U.S. It typically appears as a red, blue or flesh-colored lump on the skin in older people and those who have suppressed immune systems. About 80% of Merkel cell carcinomas are caused by a virus called the Merkel cell polyomavirus. The remaining cases are linked to sun or other ultraviolet light exposure and unknown factors. Merkel cell carcinoma can spread to the lymphatic system and other organs. Surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy have been the mainstays of treatment. However, for Merkel cell carcinomas advancing beyond the point of surgery, there were previously no treatment options that could prolong survival. Recently, drugs blocking the immune checkpoints PD-1 and PD-L1 were shown to be effective in advanced inoperable Merkel cell carcinomas, and were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in this treatment setting.
Merkel cell carcinoma appears to respond very rapidly to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in some patients with advanced disease, says lead study author Suzanne Topalian, M.D., associate director of the Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy. This led us to test whether anti-PD-1 could be effective if given for a brief period before surgery, as so-called neoadjuvant therapy. Using this approach, we found that patients who had substantial tumor regressions on CT scans or in pathology studies of surgically removed tumor specimens had extended cancer recurrence-free survival that was statistically significant. Radiographic and pathologic tumor regressions following neoadjuvant anti-PD-1 therapy are therefore potential new, early markers that will help us predict what a patients long-term outcome will be. This is critical information for oncologists planning treatment strategies for their patients.
Nivolumab, the immunotherapy drug used in this study, works against cancers including Merkel cell carcinoma by blocking PD-1, a molecule on the surface of immune cells that suppresses immune responses. Cancer cells often manipulate PD-1 by expressing its partner molecule PD-L1, sending a stop signal to the immune system. Blocking that signal with a checkpoint inhibitor such as nivolumab initiates a go signal, unleashing immune cells to attack cancer cells.
In the phase I/II trial of nivolumab in virus-associated cancers called CheckMate 358, patients with operable Merkel cell cancers received 240 mg of the anti-PD-1 drug intravenously on days one and 15 of the study, with surgery planned for day 29.
The trial was designed primarily to assess the safety and tolerability of nivolumab in this treatment setting. Investigators also assessed tumor regression using CT and MRI scans; studied the presence of cancer cells microscopically in surgically removed tumors; and studied pretreatment tumor biopsies to measure the presence of the polyomavirus causing Merkel cell carcinoma, the mutational burden (the quantity of gene mutations found in a tumor) and expression of the PD-L1 protein.
Overall, 39 patients with stage IIA-IV Merkel cell cancer (locally advanced or having spread to lymph nodes or internal organs) received at least one dose of nivolumab between January 2016 and March 2019. Among 36 patients who underwent surgery, 17 (47%) achieved a pathologic complete response, meaning that there were no live tumor cells anywhere in the surgical tissue. Among 33 patients undergoing surgery who also had imaging scans, 18 (54.5%) had radiographic tumor reductions of at least 30%. Each of these findings correlated significantly with prolonged recurrence-free survival. Patients were followed for a median of 20 months.
These rates of pathologic and radiographic tumor regression after a brief four-week period of nivolumab therapy are very high compared to other cancer types in which anti-PD-1 treatment has been tried before surgery, Topalian says. For instance, in lung cancer, the published rate of complete pathologic response after neoadjuvant anti-PD-1 monotherapy is 15%, and in melanoma it is 19-25%. Furthermore, substantial radiographic tumor regression is not common within such a brief treatment period in other cancer types.
Overall, among 36 patients who underwent surgery, recurrence-free survival rates were 77.5% at 12 months and 68.5% at 24 months after surgery. However, those with a complete pathologic response had a recurrence-free survival of 100% at 12 months and 88.9% at 24 months, compared with those without a complete pathologic response, who had recurrence-free survivals of 59.6% and 52.2% at 12 and 24 months, respectively. Similarly, patients with substantial radiographic tumor regressions before surgery experienced prolonged recurrence-free survival, compared with the other patients in the study. These effects of neoadjuvant nivolumab on recurrence-free survival in some patients appear to offer an advantage compared to historical reports of conventional care.
Three of 39 patients (7.7%) did not undergo surgery, one because of tumor progression, and two because of adverse effects from nivolumab. Treatment-related adverse events occurred in 18 of 39 patients (46.2%) and most commonly included skin rashes. Three patients (7.7%) had a severe adverse event, including immune-related colitis. The characteristics of adverse events were similar to those previously reported for anti-PD-1 drugs in patients with other cancer types.
Topalian cautions that the study was a relatively small one, and did not have a control group for comparison. All patients received the same treatment. However, she says, We think these findings provide a rationale to conduct larger trials of neoadjuvant anti-PD-1 therapy in Merkel cell carcinoma, and have the potential to be practice-changing.
To our knowledge, this is the first attempt to look at the role of anti-PD-1 therapy before surgery in patients with Merkel cell carcinoma who are candidates for complete surgical removal of their tumor, Topalian says. We know that, historically, many of these patients would subsequently relapse after standard surgical and postoperative treatments. Even if we think were removing all of the existing tumor at the time of surgery, in many patients the tumor has already spread to other parts of the body, at microscopic sites of metastasis that are too tiny to be detected with scans.
Investigators from the Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute co-led this study with researchers from the University of Washington Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, in collaboration with 10 other medical centers in the U.S. and Europe. The Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute team included Topalian; William Sharfman, M.D.; Julie Stein, M.D.; Elizabeth Engle, M.S.; and Janis Taube, M.D., M.Sc.
Separately, in a review paper published in Science by Topalian and Johns Hopkins colleagues Taube and Drew M. Pardoll, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy, the researchers summarized scientific and medical knowledge about the use of immune checkpoint blockers before cancer surgery. This includes the first published report of neoadjuvant PD-1 pathway blocking antibodies, tested in non-small cell lung cancer at Johns Hopkins and described in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2018, and additional studies of immune checkpoint blockers in melanoma, bladder cancer and brain cancer from other research groups. There are many more neoadjuvant anti-PD-1 studies maturing now in other cancer types including breast and head and neck cancers, Topalian says.
When people talk about preventing cancer, they generally mean preventing cancer from forming, she says. However, these neoadjuvant immunotherapy studies speak to the possibility of preventing early-stage cancers from becoming end-stage. We think this is a very valuable approach. By using immune checkpoint blockers before definitive surgery for cancer, it may be possible in some patients to prevent to the disease from progressing to an inoperable stage. We look forward to a lot more information to come in this area.
Preliminary results of the Merkel cell carcinoma study were presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting in 2018. Other centers participating in that trial were the Levine Cancer Institute, Atrium Health, of Charlotte, N.C.; Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, Atlanta; Universit de Paris, Saint Louis Hospital, Paris; Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse, France; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York; H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Fla.; SLK-Clinics, MOLIT Institute, Heilbronn, Germany; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Hillman Cancer Center; University Medical Center Utrecht, Cancer Center, the Netherlands; and the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, Mich. Bristol Myers Squibb, which sponsored the trial, also had co-authors.
The work was supported by Bristol Myers Squibb and ONO Pharmaceutical Company Limited. Some of the scientific correlative work conducted at Johns Hopkins was supported by The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research and National Cancer Institute R01 grant CA142779. Authors received no financial support or compensation for publication of the study.
The Science review was supported by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy, the National Cancer Institute (R01 CA142779), the Cancer Research Institute/Stand Up To Cancer-Immunology Translational Cancer Research Grant, Bristol Myers Squibb, the Barney Family Foundation, Moving for Melanoma of Delaware, the Laverna Hahn Charitable Trust, the Melanoma Research Alliance, the Harry J. Lloyd Charitable Trust, the Emerson Collective Foundation, and the Mark Foundation for Cancer Research.
Topalian reported stock and other ownership interests for herself or an immediate family member from Aduro Biotech, DNAtrix, Dragonfly Therapeutics, Ervaxx, Five Prime Therapeutics, RAPT Therapeutics, Potenza Therapeutics, Tizona Therapeutics, Trieza Therapeutics and WindMIL; consulting or advisory roles with Amgen, Compugen, DNAtrix, Dragonfly Therapeutics, Dynavax, Ervaxx, Five Prime Therapeutics, RAPT Therapeutucs, Immunocore, Immunomic Therapeutics, Janssen Oncology, MedImmune, Merck, Tizona Therapeutics and WindMIL; research funding from Bristol Myers Squibb, Compugen and Potenza Therapeutics; travel, accommodations and expenses from Bristol Myers Squibb, Dragonfly Therapeutics, Five Prime Therapeutics and Merck; and patent royalties from Aduro Biotech, Arbor Pharmaceuticals, Bristol Myers Squibb, Immunomic Therapeutics, NexImmune, and WindMIL. These relationships are being managed by The Johns Hopkins University in accordance with its conflict of interest policies.
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market Segmentation, Trends, Growth, Competitive Analysis and Geographical Outlook till 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 16th, 2020
- Bone Wax Market Size to Represent 3.5% CAGR By 2023 | COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Competitive Outlook, Share Estimation and Industry Insights - Press... - July 16th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | DataIntelo - Jewish Life News - July 15th, 2020
- Covid 19- Impact Alpha Thalassemia Market Estimated To Experience A Hike in Growth | Global Industry Size, Growth, Segments, Revenue, Manufacturers -... - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Covid-19 Outbreak: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Owned - July 15th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Projected to Register a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Orthopedic Prosthetics Market Trend Analysis by Smith and Nephew, Touch Bionics Inc, Zimmer Boimet Holdings Inc., Stryker Corp - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Review, Future Growth, Global Survey, impact of COVID-19 on Indepth Analysis, Share, Key Findings, Company Profiles,... - July 14th, 2020
- Vision Care Market Size Projection, Cost Structure Analysis, Sales Statistics, Growth Estimation and Industry Insights By 2025 - Daily Research... - July 14th, 2020
- Osteoarthritic Pain Management Treatment Market Trend Analysis by Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Abbott, AbbVie Inc., Astellas Pharma -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact on COVID-19 Medical Tapes and Bandages Industry : Identify the types of companies that could potentially benefit from the impact of COVID-19 |... - July 14th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Daily Research Advisor - July 13th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Market Applications, Future Trends, Size Value, Growth Statistics, Sales Projection and COVID-19 Impact Analysis By... - July 13th, 2020
- Anastomosis Device Market Size, Product, Application, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 13th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Size & Share 2020 Research Report Covering COVID-19 Impact on Growth Analysis and Outlook till 2026 - Red & Black... - July 13th, 2020
- 3 Top Healthcare Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Growth is Projected to Grow at Sluggish Rate by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 12th, 2020
- Medical Imaging Market Outlook and in-Depth Analysis 2020 by Top Players: Spectrum Health, RamSoft, Inc., InHealth Group, Radiology Reports online -... - July 12th, 2020
- MEDICAL ANIMATION MARKET COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND WORLDWIDE DEMAND WITH TOP PLAYERS-INFUSE MEDIA GROUP, LLC., HYBRID MEDICAL ANIMATION, GHOST... - July 11th, 2020
- HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business Prospects, In-depth... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Carrier Screening Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2027|Myriad Genetics, Inc., Pathway Genomics,... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Market Size, Trends, Technological Advancement And Growth Analysis With Forecast to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Global Nicotine Addiction Treatment Market 2020 Business Outlook with Pandemic Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026|Sosei Group Corporation, CV... - July 10th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market Briefing 2020, Trends, Applications, Types, Research, Forecast To 2025 - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tissue-Replacement Products Market to Witness Rapid Development During the Period 2017 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - July 10th, 2020
- Global Ethical Pharmaceuticals Market Leading Manufacturers Profiles by Industry Size, Share, Trends and Forecast 2027|GlaxoSmithKline plc, Johnson... - July 10th, 2020
- Menkes Syndrome Market 2020 Industry Overview, Key Players Analysis, Emerging Opportunities, Comprehensive Research Study, Competitive Landscape and... - July 10th, 2020
- SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA OF THE HEAD AND NECK TREATMENT MARKET TO 2025: SANOFI, PFIZER INC., ELI LILLY AND COMPANY, BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY -... - July 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Size : Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - Jewish... - July 8th, 2020
- Autolus: Progress Developing Next Generation Car-T Therapies Ought To Lift Share Price - Seeking Alpha - July 8th, 2020
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Machines Market: How the Business Will Grow in 2027? - Apsters News - July 8th, 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Services Market Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Biogen, 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc - Jewish Life... - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending: Precision Cancer Therapies Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 | Abbott Laboratories, Bayer... - July 3rd, 2020
- What is Trending in Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Share Value and Future Dynamics By 2023 - MENAFN.COM - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 by Opportunity, Demand, Recent trends, Major Driving Factors and Business Growth Strategies and Forecast 2026 -... - June 30th, 2020
- 2025 Growth: EGFR Mutation Test Market 2020: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market 2020 By End-User Demand, Emerging Trend, New Innovations, Future Prospect, Detailed Analysis and Forecast 2027 - 3rd Watch... - June 20th, 2020
- THAILAND'S EXCEPTIONAL STRENGTHS AS THE WORLD'S MEDICAL HUB - Bangkok Post - June 20th, 2020
- Biobanking Market to Reach $49.46 Billion by 2026; Recent Breakthrough Concepts have Indicated Potential in Covid-19 Vaccine, says Fortune Business... - June 20th, 2020
- Health News Roundup: Ahead of Trump rally in Oklahoma, coronavirus cases; Amazon forest fires could increase risk of COVID infections and more -... - June 20th, 2020
- Sexton Biotechnologies Partners with BioSpherix to Create a Fully-Enclosed, Modular Fill-Finish System with Rapid Deployment for Emerging Cell and... - June 17th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Share, Size, Demand, Forecast to grow at a steady CAGR | Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize... - June 17th, 2020
- Genomics Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Developing a COVID-19 Vaccine Quickly Proving to be a Daunting Task But Progress Still Expected - OrthoSpineNews - June 8th, 2020
- Twist Bioscience to Join Proteona in Global Alliance to Protect Immunocompromised Patients From COVID-19 Infection - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2020
- The subtle signs that point the way towards haemochromatosis - The Irish Times - June 2nd, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2026 by Top Manufacturers,Segment Type s,... - May 29th, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- The medicine of music: Tim Vallillee turns to song as therapy for cystic fibrosis and for life - TheChronicleHerald.ca - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Formation of Strategic Medical Advisory Team of Experts in Neuromuscular Care and Research - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why soap works - even on coronavirus - and how its discovery altered human history - Chattanooga Times Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020