Inside Oxford Vaccine Group's laboratories in Oxford, England, on Nov. 19, 2020.
ANDREW TESTA/The New York Times News Service
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau engaged in a strange bit of misdirection on Tuesday when he said Canada would not be among the first countries to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, because it no longer has any domestic production capacity for vaccines.
The United States, the United Kingdom and Germany are all aiming to start inoculating people in a matter of weeks, based on the fact the manufacturers of some of the leading vaccine candidates have production capacity on their shores.
Canada, on the other hand, will have to wait until the early months of 2021, Mr. Trudeau said.
Story continues below advertisement
Its puzzling why he would mention something that, on the surface, is worrisome to Canadians, but in fact applies to most of the world.
The only Western country with any kind of a guarantee that it will be able to begin inoculations in December is the U.S., and thats because the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines two of the three closest to approval will first roll out there.
Germany has a deal, along with Italy, the Netherlands and France, with AstraZeneca that could see it share 400 million doses of the promising Oxford vaccine by the end of this year.
The U.K. could have the Oxford vaccine by then, too, but it will not have access to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines until next year.
As well, all the leading manufacturers are busy creating non-U.S. supply chains that will begin delivery early in 2021.
Its not even true that Canada has no domestic production capacity for traditional vaccines. And the feds earlier this year funded expansions at two vaccine facilities; one in Montreal was supposed to be capable of producing 250,000 doses a month by November and two million by next year. However, there just is no immediate capacity to make the vaccines developed by Moderna and Pfizer, which use a groundbreaking gene therapy.
Ottawa probably should have spent more on a bigger domestic production facility and pushed for it to be built faster. But the federal government was aggressive in ordering close to 400 million doses from multiple manufacturers, while those vaccines were still in testing and development. By contracting for far more doses than Canada will ever need, Ottawa bought a kind of insurance policy. Assuming the manufacturers honour the contracts, there should be more than enough to go around.
Story continues below advertisement
So why did Mr. Trudeau alarm the population and arm the opposition?
Its hard to explain, unless you look at the debate over Canadas ability to quickly get its hands on a new vaccine as a distraction from a more pressing issue: Ottawas glaring lack of a plan to distribute and administer those millions of doses.
In the U.K., the government has designated 1,250 local health clinics as injection sites that will give the first available vaccines to vulnerable people, such as the elderly, as early as next month.
It is also setting up at least 42 mass vaccination sites, such as conference centres, which if all goes well will begin serving the rest of the population beginning in January.
In the U.S., the federal government has hired a retired general who ran the armys supply chain to distribute vaccines to injection sites in each state on a per capita basis. The doses will come with prepackaged kits containing syringes, wipes and personal protective equipment.
And in Canada? We get platitudes from Health Minister Patty Hajdu about how the government is working around the clock to come up with a concrete plan with the provinces and territories.
Story continues below advertisement
Given the poor job Ottawa and the provinces have done on testing and tracing, which have the same logistical challenges, theres reason to be concerned that when vaccines arrive, their distribution will be haphazard.
Tell us: Who is in charge of distribution at the federal level? Who are their counterparts in the provinces and territories? Who will get inoculated first? Will the vaccines be allocated to provinces on a per capita basis or by some other formula?
Where will the vaccines be delivered? In pharmacies? Hospitals? Temporary sites in hockey arenas? Who will staff them? What other infrastructure is needed?
Canadians have no clue about any of these things. And right now there is zero concrete evidence that their governments do either.
Keep your Opinions sharp and informed. Get the Opinion newsletter. Sign up today.
Read more from the original source:
Details are everything: Where is Ottawas COVID-19 vaccination plan? - The Globe and Mail
- Greater Gift, AGTC, and 2020 On-site Partner To Honor & Celebrate Clinical Trial Participants and - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Huntingtons disease: northern Scotland has one of world's highest rates and rising sharply here's why - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2021
- X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028 | Sanofi, Pfizer, J&J, Abbott, Merck, GSK UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The... - August 31st, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Segmentation, Share, Size, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 31st, 2021
- Bedford Biotech Restores "Meaningful Vision" in Blind Patients With Gene Therapyand May Soon Go Public Dallas Innovates -... - June 25th, 2021
- 'Like turning back the clock': Windsor dad with cystic fibrosis among patients seeking access to new therapy - CBC.ca - June 25th, 2021
- Germline genetic testing can benefit all cancer patients as a routine practice in cancer care - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is an Authorized Treatment Center for Ide-cel CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - May 15th, 2021
- Discovery of a new genetic cause of hearing loss illuminates how inner ear works - India Education Diary - May 15th, 2021
- Castle Biosciences Announces Pipeline Initiative to Develop Genomic Test Targeting Systemic Therapy Response in Patients with Psoriasis, Atopic... - May 15th, 2021
- Global Thalassemia Treatment Market is estimated to be US$ 14.7 billion by 2030 with a CAGR - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Opportunities, Recent Industry Size and Share Analysis With Forecast To 2027 | Dendreon, Vericel, Spark Therapeutics,... - May 3rd, 2021
- Searching for the Causes and Cures of Spinocerebellar Ataxias - University of Utah Health Care - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Market In-deep Analysis And Experts Review Report 2021-2024 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 3rd, 2021
- Antidepressants Market Size 2021 | Is Projected to Reach USD 18.29 Billion by 2027, Exhibiting a CAGR of 2.9% during 2020-2027 - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine has been paused in Colorado. Here's what you need to know. - The Denver Channel - April 18th, 2021
- Global Alpha Thalassemia Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Canavan Disease Treatment Market Growing Demand with Innovative Ideas Adopted by Key Players Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline... - April 18th, 2021
- Cystinuria Treatment Market In-depth Research Covering Share Analysis, Industry Overview and Forecast | Key Players Retrophin, Inc, Mission Pharmacal... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Botulinum Toxin Market Size 2021 | To Hit USD 7.71 Billion at 7.5% CAGR by 2027; Increasing Awareness about the Therapeutic Benefits of Botox... - April 18th, 2021
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market to Rise with Impressive CAGR | Players Viking Therapeutics, Nutra Pharma Corporation, Genetix Biotech Asia Pvt.... - April 18th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- Gilead (Kite Pharma), Amgen (BioVex), Novartis,... - April 4th, 2021
- Top Executives from AveXis Join New Gene Therapy Venture -- This Time Targeting Tens of Millions More Patients - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia Market will Reach Thriving Value by 2019 to 2028 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 4th, 2021
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Analysis to 2025 - Growth Trends and Changes Influencing the Industry - Technology Magazine - February 9th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 9th, 2021
- Global Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market demand with COVID-19 recovery analysis 2021 better delivery process to boost market growth by 2026 KSU... - February 4th, 2021
- ASCO Names Molecular Profiling in GI Cancers as Advance of the Year - OncLive - February 4th, 2021
- Circularity Healthcare Announces Expansion with Global CRO of Series of Successful Pivotal Human Clinical Trials to Study Use of D'OXYVA for Rapid,... - February 2nd, 2021
- Parkinson's disease treatment Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast 2021 2027 KSU | The Sentinel... - January 27th, 2021
- The Head And Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market to shirk economic slowdown between 2016 and 2024 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 27th, 2021
- Global Phenylketonuria (PKU) Treatment Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecast Growth By Top Competitors:American Gene... - January 23rd, 2021
- Global MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) Testing Market Report 2020-2025: One of the Most Rapidly Evolving and Dynamic Markets - GlobeNewswire - January 23rd, 2021
- Aerosol Masks Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Global Clinical Laboratory Services Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 19th, 2021
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Outlook 2021 Witnessing Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand | Regions are Bluebird Bio, Novartis, Kiadis Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- FABRY DISEASE MARKET 2020 2023 PROJECTED TO GROW RADIANTLY BY TOP PLAYERS REVENUE AND GROWTH RATE - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 Highlights the Disparities and Discrepancy of Sickle Cell Care - MD Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue Data... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Research Study including Growth Factors, New Top Players, Competitive Analysis by regions from 2020 to 2027 -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Brain Tumor Treatment Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2025 - The Courier - December 19th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 18th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 18th, 2020
- Worldwide Industry for Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics to 2025 - Players Include AbbVie, Alaxia and Alcresta Therapeutics Among Others - Stockhouse - December 18th, 2020
- Elidah Becomes the Only US Company to Win a Top Ten Prize in a Global Start-up Competition, Advancing Recognition for Women's Health - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Non-COVID-19 Care Delivery Bears the Brunt of the Pandemic - Gene Therapy Market Slumps by -13.6% -... - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2027: Market is Projected to Reach a Revised $3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Top 10 Innovations - The Scientist - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market to Rise Impressively at 26.1% CAGR and Hit USD 151,949.5 Million by 2026; Integra's Latest Product Offerings to... - December 3rd, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Report 2020: Top Companies, Regions, Driving Force and Forecast 2026 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 3rd, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2020-2026: CDMO Categorization - Primed for Business Model Disruption - Benzinga - November 26th, 2020
- Internet hawkers of stem cell therapies raising red flags - Ophthalmology Times - November 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Brain Tumor Treatment Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 26th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Children's Hospital delivers life-saving gene replacement therapy to infant - Loma Linda University Health - November 20th, 2020
- Global Precision Cancer Therapies Market 2020: Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends and Forecast till 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- Cutting-edge Treatment Offers Hope to Infant With Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Adventist Review - November 20th, 2020
- Molecular Testing With Universal Method Comparable to Traditional Method in Hereditary Solid Tumors - Targeted Oncology - November 20th, 2020
- Alpha Thalassemia Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted By the Competitors |... - November 20th, 2020
- Intrathecal Pumps Market 2020 Industry Size and Share Evolution to 2026 by Growth Insight, Trends - The Daily Philadelphian - November 20th, 2020
- $30 billion to fight COVID-19 over next five years - Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Global Contract Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020-2026: Automation Deployed to Contain Cost of Goods Sold and Vector Manufacturing... - November 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size Is Estimated to Grow at a CAGR of 40.7% By 2025 | Sales Statistics, Future Trends, Business Overview and COVID-19 Impact... - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU -... - November 12th, 2020
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Market Growth Estimation, Future Insights, Applications, Key Players, Size Analysis, COVID-19 Impact and MRI Industry... - November 12th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Share Analysis by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - Sunrise Nigeria - November 12th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Upcoming Oral Presentation on pheNIX Gene Therapy Clinical Trial for Adults with PKU - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Positive Data from the Dose-Escalation Phase of the pheNIX Gene Therapy Trial for Adults with PKU | DNA... - November 11th, 2020
- COVID vaccine to be rolled out within months: Hunt - Daily Mercury - November 11th, 2020
- Blockchain offers advanced therapy tracking - Bioprocess InsiderBioProcess - BioProcess Insider - November 5th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2020
- Lynparza approved in the EU as 1st-line maintenance treatment with bevacizumab for HRD-positive advanced ovarian cancer | Small Molecules | News... - November 5th, 2020
- Predictive Biomarkers Market Growth Sales Revenue Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Report 2020 (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles & Demand Forecasts to 2020 ... - November 5th, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)Market: Is Covid19 testing the healthcare industry? - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Outbreak: C-Arms Industry Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategies - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- The good news about breast cancer - The Gazette - October 29th, 2020
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (Retinitis) Market Analysis by 24 Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Choroideremia Treatment Market Trend & Growth by Copernicus Therapeutics, Inc, Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020