Oklahoma City's Alex Abrines tires to defend a shot by Houston's James Harden during the NBA playoffs in April. Abrines is getting ready to play in a tournament in Europe. [PHOTO BY SARAH PHIPPS, THE OKLAHOMAN]
When Thunder players gathered last week on the West Coast for workouts, Alex Abrines was noticeably missing.
Abrines did not attend the Russell Westbrook-coordinated workouts in Santa Monica, California. It was always Abrines' plan to start his summer attending friends' weddings and traveling home to Spain before preparing for FIBA EuroBasket 2017. Since Friday, Abrines has been in the Spanish National Team training camp for EuroBasket, the 24-team European tournament which starts Aug. 31.
Spain, the reigning European champion, will play in seven exhibition games before its Eurobasket group-play opener against Serbia and Montenegro on Sept. 1 in Romania. Its first exhibition is Aug. 8 against Belgium in Tenerife, Spain.
What will be critical to watch is the health of Abrines following platelet rich plasma injections in his right knee in May. Abrines missed three games toward the end of the regular season with a left knee sprain, and has a history of knee soreness. He missed a game for Spain in last summer's Olympics with left knee discomfort and battled a bout of right knee tendonitis when playing for Barcelona in 2013.
Abrines told The Oklahoman in June that with extended rest he hopes he won't have to repeat the treatment for years.
It'd been four or five years since the last one, Abrines said in June. This year, we did the right thing, stopping for two weeks, then rehabbing a little bit, starting slowly. I think it's going to get better, and we don't have repeat it for the next three years at least (knocks on table).
Abrines remained relatively healthy in his first NBA season, playing in 68 of a possible 82 games while leading the Thunder in 3-point percentage (38.1 percent).
Collison likes the George gamble
While the trade of Jimmy Butler from Chicago to Minnesota or the potential of Kyrie Irving getting traded out of Cleveland can compete, the move for Paul George made by the Thunder is the biggest trade of the offseason.
It's also the biggest what if? of the summer. George can become a free agent in 2018, while players such as Butler and Irving each have two years left on their contracts. George's affinity for his native Los Angeles is well-documented, as is the Lakers having nearly $40 million in salary coming off its payroll next summer.
Just by keeping the current roster together, the Thunder is assured a Western Conference contender this season, but beyond?
Thunder veteran Nick Collison said no matter the risk factor of the George trade, he likes the move. And so does the rest of the Thunder.
You love that the front office is trying to do that to win, Collison said. As players, we're just thinking about the season, and I understand there's other decisions that have to be made for the future of the franchise, but it's the move they decided to make. I think as players, we're excited about it.
Sam's job is to put the players here. Billy's job is to coach the team. The players' job is to be ready to play. The direction that they want to go is up to them, but as a player I think you love it when they add a guy like that if you feel like it's gonna make the team better, which I do.
Read the original here:
Thunder journal: Focus turns to Alex Abrines' health entering EuroBasket - NewsOK.com
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Combining art and science in a medical practice - Coast Mountain News - January 27th, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- Thinning Hair? Here are 8 Ways to Make It Fuller and Shinier - Self - December 15th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market Research : Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis | Allergan Plc., Pfizer... - November 25th, 2019
- A sound theoretical mechanism and clinical indication are not enoughthe case of Platelet Rich Plasma for Achilles tendon ruptures - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 25th, 2019
- Father-Son Team Creates Beauty and Healing - Atlanta Jewish Times - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Key Drivers and Opportunities Till 2028 - True Version - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2028 - Trade Examiner - November 18th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market 2019 || What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'MarketResearch.Biz' - True Version - November 15th, 2019
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019