Although PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) Therapy has been around since the mid-1990s many people are still unaware of this beneficial treatment.
Various fields of medicine, including dentistry, neurosurgery, wound healing, and orthopedics, have only just begun to scrape the surface of the long-term and ongoing benefits that can result from employing this valuable therapy.
What is it? A Quick Lesson on Blood In a nutshell, a PRP injection delivers a high concentration of endogenous (your own home-grown) platelets to an area of injury.
To understand the therapeutic value of PRP injections, you need to have a basic understanding of the make-up of blood. Blood is composed of plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Its these platelets that are the injurys first-responders and help revascularize an injured area, construct new tissue, and stop the bleeding.
Because platelets play a significant role in the healing of tissue, reintroducing a high concentration of platelets directly into the injured area may enhance the healing process.
The physiological effects include:
Increase tissue regeneration (tendon, ligament, soft tissue) Decrease inflammation Decrease pain Increase collagen (base component of connective tissue) Increase bone density Increase angiogenesis (development of new blood cells)
In the world of high-stakes sports, many stars swear by it. Tiger Woods received PRP injections in his left knee following surgery, and L.A. Dodgers pitcher, Takashi Saito was able to return to the mound for the 2008 playoffs as a result of this little-known therapy.
Studies have seconded these testimonials. A recent study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine (2006) reviewed the effectiveness of PRP therapy in patients with chronic elbow pain. Fifteen patients were treated with PRP therapy. The results documented a 60% improvement at eight weeks, 81% at six months, and 93% at final follow-up (12-38 months). There were no side effects or complications reported.
The Trouble with Tendons Tendon injuries often become chronic because of the poor blood supply to these areas. Athletes and active people tend to have these issues and sometimes a whole career or hobby can be ruined by this ongoing complication. A PRP injection allows a quick and focused action to the area of injury, which allows it to heal more effectively and rapidly.
The Procedure A patients blood is drawn and placed in a centrifuge which separates the platelet-rich plasma from the rest of the blood. This plasma is then injected into the area of injury. Its a quick procedure with little, if any, downtime. Its also safe because the platelets are derived from the patients own blood, so there is no risk of rejection or reaction.
Not every patient is treated with PRP. We do not treat every patient with PRP, most often, Dextrose Prolotherapy is used instead of PRP, because of the extra step in drawing your blood, the extra expense in purchasing the PRP kit, and extra time it takes to prepare the platelets. The injections are exactly the same way, but the proliferant, or solution injected is different. For many years we have had great success in healing 1000s of patients and having them avoid surgery with dextrose Prolotherapy.
Your decision to have PRP should be discussed with us to determine which type of Prolotherapy, (Dextrose, platelets, or another proliferant) is best for you.
Not every doctor is proficient in PRP Therapy Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy has become very popular. Physicians who do not do traditional Prolotherapy are now offering PRP. Unfortunately, these untrained doctors are injecting the platelets in a way that is often painful, debilitating for weeks, and can leave hematomas (collections of clotted blood) in the area injected. We believe that PRP is best delivered by a physician already experienced and well versed in Prolotherapy.
Platelet alpha granules contain potent growth factors necessary to begin tissue repair and regeneration at the wound site. Concentrated autologous platelets contain large reservoirs of growth factors that have the potential to greatly accelerate the normal healing process, naturally. The use of concentrated growth factors is considered by many to be a new frontier of clinical therapy
Excerpts in this article from Harvest Technologies Corp
1. Marx, R.E. , et al,Platelet-Rich Plasma Growth Factor Enhancement for Bone Grafts, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Patrhol, 1998;85:638-646.
2. Antonaides, H.N., et al,Human Platelet-Derived Growth Factor: Structure and Functions, Federation Proceedings, 1983;42:2630-2634.
3. Pierce, G.F., et al,PDGF-BB,TGF-1 and Basic FGF in Dermal Wound Healing: Neovessel and Matrix Formation and Cessation Repair, Am J Pathology, 1992;140:1375-1388.
Marc Darrow, M.D., J.D., utilizes Stem Cell Therapy, Platatelt Rich Plasma Therapy, and Prolotherapy for the treatment of chronoc joint and back pain. Dr. Marc Darrow is a Board Certified Physiatrist specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Originally posted here:
PRP Therapy (Platelet-Rich Plasma) - JointRehab.com
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018
- Autologous Blood Injection (ABI) & Platelet Rich Plasma ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections, PRP Injections ... - August 1st, 2018
- What Are Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections? - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - OrthoInfo - AAOS - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy & Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- Top Six Reasons Why Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Fail ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Halifax Naturopathic ... - October 4th, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Osteoarthritis ... - September 20th, 2017
- Quick scouting report on Milwaukee Brewers call-up Taylor Williams - Brew Crew Ball - September 3rd, 2017
- Education briefs - Port Townsend Leader - September 1st, 2017
- Running Doc on how to treat Plantar Fasciitis - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Here's Some Safer Methods To Replace Face Tightening Surgeries - News18 - September 1st, 2017
- Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It ... - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the ... - August 22nd, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Battle opioid crisis by treating pain without narcotics - Palm Beach Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Bears continue to mix and match on O-line with Kyle Long limited ... - Chicago Sun-Times - August 19th, 2017
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Study: Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media 5 things to know - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - August 19th, 2017
- First-in-man intraglandular implantation of stromal vascular fraction ... - Dove Medical Press - August 19th, 2017
- When should you see a podiatric surgeon? - WTOP - August 19th, 2017
- Sabathia on DL because of knee; Montgomery back - Daily Astorian - August 12th, 2017
- Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma remain hopeful of return to the Mariners' rotation - Seattle Times - August 10th, 2017
- Should You Think Twice About Cortisone? - HuffPost - August 8th, 2017
- For Redskins Coach Jay Gruden, in some cases, less is more - The ... - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Thunder journal: Focus turns to Alex Abrines' health entering EuroBasket - NewsOK.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Healing Osteoarthritis with Stem Cells - Anti Aging News - August 3rd, 2017
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - Hedley Orthopaedic Institute - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative treatments for knee arthritis - Palm Beach Post - July 9th, 2017
- Mariners shut down Hisashi Iwakuma's throwing program - The Seattle Times - July 7th, 2017
- Ask a Vail Sports Doc column: Cartilage restoration techniques for the knee - Vail Daily News - July 7th, 2017
- Surgery fit for a human, helps a gorilla feel more in his prime - WGN-TV - July 1st, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy and Osteoarthritis - PRP ... - November 21st, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - L.A. Beauty Skin Center - November 15th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections ... - November 14th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Connecticut & New England PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma ... - September 23rd, 2016
- What is PRP therapy? | OrthoNC - September 11th, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - Biocellular Renerative Medicine - October 31st, 2015
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Injections - Dr. Thomas F ... - October 30th, 2015
- The 5-Steps Behind Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) - Dr. Hal Brown - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections - Sports Medicine Specialists - October 12th, 2015
- PRP Injections | Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment for Heel Pain - October 12th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma - PRP - New Jersey - Dr E Magaziner - September 25th, 2015
- Knee Arthritis and Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - September 25th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment in Hyderabad India - September 2nd, 2015
- PRP Injections - Platelet Rich Plasma Injections ... - August 30th, 2015
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy (Vampire Facelift) - August 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy | PRP Injections Treat a ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections - About.com Health - August 2nd, 2015
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections - Center for Orthopedics - July 17th, 2015
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections - HSS.edu - HSS - July 12th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections | Scottsdale, Tempe ... - June 22nd, 2015
- PRP | PRP Injection | Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy ... - June 8th, 2015
- PRP Therapy | PRP Injections for Knee - June 1st, 2015
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy PRP Injections - June 1st, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, PRP Therapy, Stem Cell ... - May 10th, 2015