Platelet-rich plasma (abbreviation: PRP) is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets. As a concentrated source of autologous platelets, PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that can stimulate healing of soft tissue. Platelet-rich plasma therapy is an old therapy and used extensively in specialities of dermatology, orthopedics and dentistry. Platelet rich plasma therapy utilizes growth factors present in alpha granules of platelets in an autologous manner. Main indications in dermatology for PRP are androgenetic alopecia, wound healing, face rejuvenation etc. For preparation of PRP, various protocols are used and no standard protocol exists but main principles essentially involve concentrating platlets in a concentration of 35 times the physiological value and then injecting this concentrated plasma in the tissue where healing or effect is desired. As of 2016, no large-scale randomized controlled trials have confirmed the efficacy of PRP as a treatment for musculoskeletal or nerve injuries, the accelerated healing of bone grafts, or the reduction of androgenic hair loss.
PRP was first developed in the 1970s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. PRP therapy began gaining popularity[where?] in the mid 1990s. It has since been applied to many different medical fields such as cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management.
The number of peer reviewed publications studying the PRP's efficacy has increased dramatically since 2007.
The efficacy of certain growth factors in healing various injuries and the concentrations of these growth factors found within PRP are the theoretical basis for the use of PRP in tissue repair. The platelets collected in PRP are activated by the addition of thrombin and calcium chloride, which induces the release of the mentioned factors from alpha granules. The growth factors and other cytokines present in PRP include:
As of 2009[update] there have been two PRP preparation methods approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Both processes involve the collection of the patient's whole blood (that is anticoagulated with citrate dextrose) before undergoing two stages of centrifugation (TruPRP) (Harvest) (Pure PRP) designed to separate the PRP aliquot from platelet-poor plasma and red blood cells. In humans, the typical baseline blood platelet count is approximately 200,000 per L; therapeutic PRP concentrates the platelets by roughly five-fold. There is broad variability in the production of PRP by various concentrating equipment and techniques.
In humans, PRP has been investigated and used as a clinical tool for several types of medical treatments, including nerve injury, chronic tendinitis,plantar fasciitis,osteoarthritis,cardiac muscle injury, and androgenic alopecia, for bone repair and regeneration, in plastic surgery,colorectal surgery and oral surgery
PRP has received attention in the popular media as a result of its use in treating sports injuries in professional athletes.
The cost of a PRP treatment in the U.S. has been quoted as $1000 out-of-pocket expenses, as it is usually not covered by health insurance.
PRP has been used experimentally in the treatment of empty nose syndrome
As of 2016[update] results of basic science and preclinical trials have not yet been confirmed in large-scale randomized controlled trials. A 2009 systematic review of the scientific literature found there were few randomized controlled trials that adequately evaluated the safety and efficacy of PRP treatments and concluded that PRP was "a promising, but not proven, treatment option for joint, tendon, ligament, and muscle injuries".
A 2010 Cochrane analysis on PRP use in sinus lifts during dental implant placement found no evidence that PRP offered any benefit.
As of 2011, PRP use for nerve injury and sports medicine has produced "promising" but "inconsistent" results in early trials.
A 2013 review stated more evidence was needed to determine PRP's effectiveness for hair regrowth.
A 2014 Cochrane analysis for PRT use to treat musculoskeletal injuries found very weak (very low quality) evidence for a decrease in pain in the short term, up to three months and no difference in function in the short, medium or long term. There was weak evidence that suggested that harm occurred at comparable, low rates in treated and untreated people.
A 2016 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials for PRP use to augment bone graft found only one study reporting a significant difference in bone augmentation, while four studies found no significant difference.
Since 2004, proponents of PRP therapy have argued that negative clinical results are associated with poor-quality PRP produced by inadequate single spin devices. The fact that most gathering devices capture a percentage of a given thrombocyte count could bias results, because of inter-individual variability in the platelet concentration of human plasma and more would not necessarily be better. The variability in platelet concentrating techniques may alter platelet degranulation characteristics that could affect clinical outcomes.
Platelet-rich plasma is used in horses for treatment of equine lameness due to tendon and ligament injury, wounds, fractures, bone cysts, and osteoarthritis.
Some concern exists as to whether PRP treatments violate anti-doping rules. As of 2010 it was not clear if local injections of PRP could have a systemic impact on circulating cytokine levels, affecting doping tests and whether PRP treatments have systemic anabolic effects or affect performance. In January 2011, the World Anti-Doping Agency removed intramuscular injections of PRP from its prohibitions after determining that there is a "lack of any current evidence concerning the use of these methods for purposes of performance enhancement".
According to the Baltimore Sun, Zach Britton had PRP injections in his left shoulder in March 2012, Orioles first baseman Chris Davis underwent two PRP injections to speed the healing and recovery of an oblique injury in April 2014, and Dylan Bundy had the procedure in April before undergoing Tommy John surgery in June 2014.
Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Combining art and science in a medical practice - Coast Mountain News - January 27th, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- Thinning Hair? Here are 8 Ways to Make It Fuller and Shinier - Self - December 15th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market Research : Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis | Allergan Plc., Pfizer... - November 25th, 2019
- A sound theoretical mechanism and clinical indication are not enoughthe case of Platelet Rich Plasma for Achilles tendon ruptures - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 25th, 2019
- Father-Son Team Creates Beauty and Healing - Atlanta Jewish Times - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Key Drivers and Opportunities Till 2028 - True Version - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2028 - Trade Examiner - November 18th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market 2019 || What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'MarketResearch.Biz' - True Version - November 15th, 2019
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019