RICHMOND Here at Camp Svelte, the Washington Redskins boast many fitness feats. Trent Williams, the star left tackle, went (somewhat) vegan and lost his jolly cushioning. Junior Galette, the snakebit linebacker, dropped 24 pounds after recovering from two Achilles tendon tears that robbed him of the past two seasons. Rob Kelley, the running back wrongfully nicknamed Fat Rob as a child, now looks like he ought to go by Non-Fat Rob.
In the background stands Coach Jay Gruden, celebrating his players commitment and flashing an aw-shucks grin when hes asked about his own transformation. Gruden is quietly disappearing, too. You see it in the cheekbones resurfacing on his face. You see it in the absence of his tummy, which must have been shipped to the Bermuda Triangle.
At the end of last season, Gruden weighed 241 pounds. On Monday, he reported proudly that hes down to 218. Its the lightest he has been since 1991, when he was a 24-year-old, 215-pound quarterback starting his Arena Football League career with the Tampa Bay Storm.
You want to know how I did it? Gruden said, smiling. Youre going to have to pay extra for that, man. Youre going to have to YouTube my video, and its going to cost you $39.95.
[After Redskins chaos and Super Bowl collapse, Kyle Shanahan is ready to fix the 49ers]
Gruden will get to the how later. Its the why that matters most to him.
While his players alter their bodies to compete in a game full of world-class athletes, Gruden has a more relatable motivation. He was aching because of the extra weight on his 6-foot-2 frame. He blood pressure was high. He was a little embarrassed. He turned 50 in March, and he was tired of making excuses. He needed to do something or risk slipping from husky to obese.
I just didnt feel healthy, Gruden said. I hit 50 years old, and maybe it was part midlife crisis. I dont know. Who knows? You start looking around, and people are walking the streets, and you see people that are your age, and they look better and younger and healthier. And youre like, [Expletive], I shouldnt be this big.
Two years ago, CBS Sports radio host Scott Ferrall called Gruden a fat ass on the air. After learning of the cheap shot, Gruden referenced it during his next news conference. The comical coach tried to have fun with it, but the words bothered him.
I really dislike the guy that called me a fat ass, Gruden said then with a laugh. That really ticked me off. I dont mind you critiquing my coaching style, but to make fun of my weight, thats unfair. Im only 225.
As he recalled the exchange last week, Gruden was still upset.
Ive never considered myself, like, fat, he said. I know Im thick and a little heavy at times.
(Lee Powell/The Washington Post)
A more persuasive comment came at the end of last season. Anthony Lanier, a young defensive end who needs to add weight and strength to realize his potential, was honest with Gruden.
Man, Coach, youre too big right now, Lanier said.
The coach and player made a bet. Gruden vowed to lose as much weight, if not more, than Lanier gained. Gruden won. Hes down 23 pounds. Lanier is up 22.
But hes not paying me, Gruden said, jokingly cursing at the player. I told him Ill take the money when he gets his next contract.
[If Colin Kaepernick played basketball, the NBA would embrace him]
Gruden wont charge $39.95 for his weight-loss secrets because he didnt really do anything special. Over the past few months, he has paid more attention to what hes eating and begun exercising. Thats it, basically. He started by supplementing his breakfast with a shot of apple cider vinegar in the morning. That helped him lose four pounds in the first week or so. Since then, he has been committed to a balanced diet and regular exercise. He has been amazed at the results.
I did it because I was sore all over, Gruden said. My joints were sore. My ankle, my knee. Ive had shoulder issues. And Ive used that as an excuse for not working out or exercising. Then I lost an initial four pounds. I felt a lot better, and then I kept going. I started eating better, watching portion control, not eating late at night. And then the more I lost, the better my joints felt, so I was able to exercise more. Its amazing.
For years, Gruden thought football multiple injuries, multiple surgeries was to blame for his aches. He would wake up some mornings and struggle to walk to the bathroom because his Achilles tendon was sore. He had platelet-rich plasma injections in his knees. He took anti-inflammatory medication to get through the daily grind of coaching. But now that he is almost back to his playing weight, he feels good.
It sounds easy, but in a reality all too familiar to many people (myself included), its easier to remain unaware and mindlessly punish your body by indulging in the wrong foods and save the workouts for another day. Despite being a former high-level athlete, Gruden succumbed to bad habits.
Food is always available at the teams practice facility in Ashburn, and Gruden munched often. His job is active for about two hours of practice, but the bulk of his day is spent in meetings and sitting in rooms watching film late into the night.
The choices that you have at lunch and dinner are pretty big at our place, Gruden said. I would go out and have a sensible lunch, and then wed always have pizza there, and Id take a couple of pieces of pizza, and Id take a cookie upstairs.
Now I just have a small plate and I get the hell out of there, as much as I want to eat the pizza because its so damn good.
During training camp, Gruden used to bike 3 miles from the hotel in Richmond to the teams site. This year, he started walking every morning. Then he advanced to jogging and walking. On Monday, he ran the entire way for the first time. Earlier in camp, he played quarterback and danced in the pocket for the entirety of a long pass rush drill. Hes not a coach who has to stand back and evaluate anymore.
Last year, I couldnt do any of that, Gruden said. I didnt do any of that hardly because I was sore. Last year, I couldnt even walk from the hotel to work. I never even tried walking it. Now I ran the whole way, and I didnt stop. Thats how good my joints feel.
Gruden looked away and said softly, Lets hope I dont put it back on because its easy to put back on.
Acknowledging the threat is the first step to resistance. Besides, at Camp Svelte, there is ample peer pressure to keep Skinny Gruden or, better yet, Healthy Gruden motivated.
For more by Jerry Brewer, visit washingtonpost.com/brewer.
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Combining art and science in a medical practice - Coast Mountain News - January 27th, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - Benzinga - January 19th, 2020
- SVHI PRP Therapy Announces New Website Focused on PRP for Hair Loss in the San Francisco Bay Area - PR Web - January 17th, 2020
- HEALTH WATCH: What to know about, and how to treat, alopecia - Lexington Dispatch - January 17th, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About Bunions But Never Asked - Long Island Weekly News - January 15th, 2020
- Denver Clinic Explores PRP Vs. Stem Cell Treatments And Choosing What Will Help Most - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 15th, 2020
- NBA Stars Most Ready to Break out in Season's 2nd Half - Bleacher Report - January 15th, 2020
- Has The Beauty Industry's Obsession With Blood Gone Too Far? - Glamour UK - January 11th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About A Non-Surgical Eyelid Lift - BEAUTYcrew - January 10th, 2020
- After injury-plagued season, Texas Collin Johnson hopes to go out with a bang in the Alamo Bowl - San Antonio Express-News - December 31st, 2019
- Qatar- Modern orthopedic treatment methods at Al Wakra Hospital lead to early recovery of patients - MENAFN.COM - December 29th, 2019
- Lip Augmentation Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027 | Allergan, Anika Therapeutics, Cytophil -... - December 27th, 2019
- Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - December 24th, 2019
- A Modern Treatment for the Age-Old Problem that is Hair Loss - Communal News - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Research On Joint Pain Injections Market SWOT Analysis including Key Players - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market || What are the Key market Trends and Dynamics? - Sound On Sound Fest - December 19th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - December 17th, 2019
- Thinning Hair? Here are 8 Ways to Make It Fuller and Shinier - Self - December 15th, 2019
- I Tried Getting A Vampire Facial At The Beauty Clinic By Shoppers - styledemocracy.com - December 10th, 2019
- The Hidden Cost of a Quick Injury Fix - Outside - December 3rd, 2019
- 10 ways of treating female hair loss - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Industry Analysis, Recent Trends, Size, Demand, Overview and Forecast 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 3rd, 2019
- Real Housewives Of New Jersey Star Jennifer Aydin Got A Tummy Tuck - Reality Tea - November 29th, 2019
- Comprehensive Research on Joint Pain Injections Market Report Offers Consumption, Production, CAGR, Market Size, Profit Margin And Revenue By 2028 -... - November 28th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market In-depth Outlook || Growing Popularity And Emerging Trends In The Industry - True Version - November 26th, 2019
- A primer: stem cell and regenerative medicine as 'the' emerging therapy - Chiropractic Economics - November 26th, 2019
- Market Growth : Medical Aesthetic Devices Technologies and Global Market To 2022 - Downey Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Vampire facials and other medical witchcraft you can buy to stay youthful today - Citizen - November 26th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market Research : Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis | Allergan Plc., Pfizer... - November 25th, 2019
- A sound theoretical mechanism and clinical indication are not enoughthe case of Platelet Rich Plasma for Achilles tendon ruptures - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 25th, 2019
- Father-Son Team Creates Beauty and Healing - Atlanta Jewish Times - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Key Drivers and Opportunities Till 2028 - True Version - November 25th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2028 - Trade Examiner - November 18th, 2019
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market 2019 || What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'MarketResearch.Biz' - True Version - November 15th, 2019
- Dee Ford on Monday night showdown: The blood is in the water with these games - AL.com - November 11th, 2019
- Burning in knee: 7 causes and how to treat them - Medical News Today - November 6th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injections Market to Expand at a Positive CAGR, Rising Support from Government in Research Activities to Boost the Market - News Reel Hub - November 6th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections Cost Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - Young Gazzete - November 4th, 2019
- Joint Pain Injection Market to Witness Impressive Global Growth in Production-Consumption Ratio through 2027 : Antus, Fidia Pharma USA, Zimmer Biomet... - November 4th, 2019
- Skin Care Institute, Oklahoma's Top-Rated Medical Spa, Now Offering Advanced Injectables Treatments with Microtox and BeautiPHIcation. - Yahoo Finance - November 4th, 2019
- Ducks GM Bob Murray has good medical news and a good feeling about his young team - The Athletic - October 31st, 2019