Both pitchers hope to help the Mariners in the final month of the season if not sooner.
Regardless of their performances prior to theirrespective injuries that landed them on the disabled list, the possible return of either Felix Hernandez or Hisashi Iwakuma or both to the Mariners rotation would be welcome addition. Its a unitthat has been hampered by injuries, lack of production and turnover. They would also be helpful in Seattles push for a spot in the postseason.
To be clear, neitherpitcher is returning in the coming days. And its not unfair to have a less than optimistic prognosis that neither would pitch again this season.
But they bothbelieve they will return.
Hernandez went on the disabledlist onSaturday for the second time this season with bursitis in his shoulder. He was placed on the disabled list on April 26 following a start in Detroit. He wouldnt return until June 22.
The last time it was in the back of my shoulder, he said. This time its in the front. They say its the same bursitis. Im not a doctor. I just tell them what I feel.
And he feels likethis discomfort isntnearly as bad as the first time.
They said three to four weeks, but I dont think so, he said. I can probably come back earlier. I just have to be careful not to rush it because of what could happen.They said its more inflamed than last time, but I feel better than last time. I dont understand it.
Hernandez recalled the days leading up to this DL appearance.
I felt fine before the last start in Texas, he said. The day I pitched in Texas I felt good. The next day I felt a little something in my shoulder. But I was fine before that. I was actually feeling really good.
That something in the shoulder didnt feel any better when he tried to play catch.
The next day in Texas, I was like, what is going on with my shoulder?' he said. I told them I cant throw a bullpen.
After examinations and tests from Dr. Edward Khalfayan, he received a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection into the shoulder to speed up the healing process.
Im just hoping everything is good, he said. Im doing my treatment and waiting a few more days to see if I can play catch.
Hernandez is known to be a bit dour when hes on the disabled list and is not a fan of discussing his health. But he was in a good mood on Thursday with the team back in town. That wasnt the case when the injury first occurred.
I was so pissed, he said. Im still pissed. Im trying to calm myselfdown and, you know, smile to hide what I feel inside. Im just focused on getting healthy and help this team get to the promised land.
There was a belief that Iwakuma wouldnt return this season after experiencing multiple setbacks in his return from the shoulder inflammation that landed him on the DL on May 10. And he still may not. But hes going to keep working to do so. While the Mariners were on the road, Iwakuma threw three shorter bullpen sessions a major step back to being ready.
The plan is for him to throw an extended bullpen on Friday. If hecomes out of that healthy, Iwakuma would throw a simulated game next week. If that went well, he would head out on a rehab stint of at least two to three starts. If those went well, he might return to the rotation. Obviously, thats a lot of ifs that must go right to see him return.
It is tough to be be honest, he said through interpreter Antony Suzuki. It is whatit is. Its been a long process.But you have to go through your steps and go in the right directionand hopefully I will come back soon. The team is playing very well and you do have a strong feeling of wanting to help right now.
After receiving some injections and getting shutdown from his throwing program for a week in July, Iwakuma hasnt had any issues.
Better arm speed, better arm action, getting my mechanics and my deliveryto where I want to where its stress free on the shoulder, he said. As long as my mechanics are good, as long as Im not flying open, I dont feel anything. But when I do start flying open, I do feel tightness. Thats what Im working on right now.
Mitch Haniger (facial laceration) participated in the pregame workout on Thursday, including taking batting practice on the field. He could go on a rehab assignment by next week. It could be a prolonged stint for Haniger, who was struggling before getting in the face by a95 mph fastball from Mets pitcher Jacob deGromm. With the Sept. 1 roster expansion looming, the Mariners could wait to activateHaniger from the DL, which would allow them to avoid another roster move to make room for him.
Veteran catcher Tuffy Gosewisch was outrighted to Class AAA Tacoma on Thursday. Gosewisch was designated for assignment on August 6 to make room on the 40-man roster for reliever Ryan Garton, who was acquired in a trade from the Rays.
- Donations For OVC Lameness Research - Standardbred Canada - September 19th, 2019
- The global platelet-rich plasma market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 14% - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2019
- Revolutionary Cosmetic Skin and Sexual Wellness Treatments Are Coming to Central New Jersey - P&T Community - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma for hair loss: Does it work? - Global Village space - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Got Scalp Injections to Treat a Bald Spot - Glamour - September 18th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Just Got PRP to Fix a Bald Spot - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- 5 Treatments Derms Say You Should Never Buy on Groupon - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Archer (right shoulder) done for season - MLB.com - September 18th, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Thinning Hair - NewBeauty Magazine - September 18th, 2019
- Highlights of the BMC series: August 2019 - BMC Series blog - BMC Blogs Network - September 18th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure - Sports-health - September 14th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injection Therapy - Youth Corridor Clinic - May 26th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma | Medford | Ashland | Southern Oregon - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP injections for Plantar Fasciitis - March 23rd, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections for knee osteoarthritis ... - March 8th, 2019
- How Revolutionary Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections For Dogs ... - March 8th, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover Platelet-rich Plasma Injections - February 7th, 2019
- Houston Platelet Rich Plasma - houstonsportsmedicine.com - January 28th, 2019
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) : Dr. Jonathon ... - January 24th, 2019
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Dr. Colin MacLeod ND - November 20th, 2018
- PRP Injections as Treatment for Pain - AAOM - November 11th, 2018
- Regenexx Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in Bellevue and ... - November 4th, 2018
- Autologous Blood Injection (ABI) & Platelet Rich Plasma ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections, PRP Injections ... - August 1st, 2018
- What Are Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections? - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - OrthoInfo - AAOS - July 13th, 2018
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy & Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- Top Six Reasons Why Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Fail ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Platelet-Rich Plasma For Arthritis | Halifax Naturopathic ... - October 4th, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy for Osteoarthritis ... - September 20th, 2017
- Quick scouting report on Milwaukee Brewers call-up Taylor Williams - Brew Crew Ball - September 3rd, 2017
- Education briefs - Port Townsend Leader - September 1st, 2017
- Running Doc on how to treat Plantar Fasciitis - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Here's Some Safer Methods To Replace Face Tightening Surgeries - News18 - September 1st, 2017
- Hair Loss Got You Down? Platelet-Rich Plasma May Regrow It ... - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Platelet-rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the ... - August 22nd, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Battle opioid crisis by treating pain without narcotics - Palm Beach Post - August 22nd, 2017
- Bears continue to mix and match on O-line with Kyle Long limited ... - Chicago Sun-Times - August 19th, 2017
- Sports hype of platelet-rich plasma 'powerful marketing tool' but distorts the science - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Study: Implicit hype? Representations of platelet rich plasma in the news media 5 things to know - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - August 19th, 2017
- First-in-man intraglandular implantation of stromal vascular fraction ... - Dove Medical Press - August 19th, 2017
- When should you see a podiatric surgeon? - WTOP - August 19th, 2017
- Sabathia on DL because of knee; Montgomery back - Daily Astorian - August 12th, 2017
- Should You Think Twice About Cortisone? - HuffPost - August 8th, 2017
- For Redskins Coach Jay Gruden, in some cases, less is more - The ... - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Thunder journal: Focus turns to Alex Abrines' health entering EuroBasket - NewsOK.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Healing Osteoarthritis with Stem Cells - Anti Aging News - August 3rd, 2017
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - Hedley Orthopaedic Institute - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative treatments for knee arthritis - Palm Beach Post - July 9th, 2017
- Mariners shut down Hisashi Iwakuma's throwing program - The Seattle Times - July 7th, 2017
- Ask a Vail Sports Doc column: Cartilage restoration techniques for the knee - Vail Daily News - July 7th, 2017
- Surgery fit for a human, helps a gorilla feel more in his prime - WGN-TV - July 1st, 2017
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy and Osteoarthritis - PRP ... - November 21st, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - L.A. Beauty Skin Center - November 15th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections ... - November 14th, 2016
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Connecticut & New England PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma ... - September 23rd, 2016
- What is PRP therapy? | OrthoNC - September 11th, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma - Biocellular Renerative Medicine - October 31st, 2015
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Injections - Dr. Thomas F ... - October 30th, 2015
- The 5-Steps Behind Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) - Dr. Hal Brown - October 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections - Sports Medicine Specialists - October 12th, 2015
- PRP Injections | Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment for Heel Pain - October 12th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma - PRP - New Jersey - Dr E Magaziner - September 25th, 2015
- Knee Arthritis and Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections - September 25th, 2015
- PRP Therapy (Platelet-Rich Plasma) - JointRehab.com - September 9th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment in Hyderabad India - September 2nd, 2015
- PRP Injections - Platelet Rich Plasma Injections ... - August 30th, 2015
- Platelet-rich plasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy (Vampire Facelift) - August 15th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy | PRP Injections Treat a ... - August 2nd, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections - About.com Health - August 2nd, 2015
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections - Center for Orthopedics - July 17th, 2015
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections - HSS.edu - HSS - July 12th, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections | Scottsdale, Tempe ... - June 22nd, 2015
- PRP | PRP Injection | Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy ... - June 8th, 2015
- PRP Therapy | PRP Injections for Knee - June 1st, 2015
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy PRP Injections - June 1st, 2015
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, PRP Therapy, Stem Cell ... - May 10th, 2015