Both pitchers hope to help the Mariners in the final month of the season if not sooner.
Regardless of their performances prior to theirrespective injuries that landed them on the disabled list, the possible return of either Felix Hernandez or Hisashi Iwakuma or both to the Mariners rotation would be welcome addition. Its a unitthat has been hampered by injuries, lack of production and turnover. They would also be helpful in Seattles push for a spot in the postseason.
To be clear, neitherpitcher is returning in the coming days. And its not unfair to have a less than optimistic prognosis that neither would pitch again this season.
But they bothbelieve they will return.
Hernandez went on the disabledlist onSaturday for the second time this season with bursitis in his shoulder. He was placed on the disabled list on April 26 following a start in Detroit. He wouldnt return until June 22.
The last time it was in the back of my shoulder, he said. This time its in the front. They say its the same bursitis. Im not a doctor. I just tell them what I feel.
And he feels likethis discomfort isntnearly as bad as the first time.
They said three to four weeks, but I dont think so, he said. I can probably come back earlier. I just have to be careful not to rush it because of what could happen.They said its more inflamed than last time, but I feel better than last time. I dont understand it.
Hernandez recalled the days leading up to this DL appearance.
I felt fine before the last start in Texas, he said. The day I pitched in Texas I felt good. The next day I felt a little something in my shoulder. But I was fine before that. I was actually feeling really good.
That something in the shoulder didnt feel any better when he tried to play catch.
The next day in Texas, I was like, what is going on with my shoulder?' he said. I told them I cant throw a bullpen.
After examinations and tests from Dr. Edward Khalfayan, he received a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection into the shoulder to speed up the healing process.
Im just hoping everything is good, he said. Im doing my treatment and waiting a few more days to see if I can play catch.
Hernandez is known to be a bit dour when hes on the disabled list and is not a fan of discussing his health. But he was in a good mood on Thursday with the team back in town. That wasnt the case when the injury first occurred.
I was so pissed, he said. Im still pissed. Im trying to calm myselfdown and, you know, smile to hide what I feel inside. Im just focused on getting healthy and help this team get to the promised land.
There was a belief that Iwakuma wouldnt return this season after experiencing multiple setbacks in his return from the shoulder inflammation that landed him on the DL on May 10. And he still may not. But hes going to keep working to do so. While the Mariners were on the road, Iwakuma threw three shorter bullpen sessions a major step back to being ready.
The plan is for him to throw an extended bullpen on Friday. If hecomes out of that healthy, Iwakuma would throw a simulated game next week. If that went well, he would head out on a rehab stint of at least two to three starts. If those went well, he might return to the rotation. Obviously, thats a lot of ifs that must go right to see him return.
It is tough to be be honest, he said through interpreter Antony Suzuki. It is whatit is. Its been a long process.But you have to go through your steps and go in the right directionand hopefully I will come back soon. The team is playing very well and you do have a strong feeling of wanting to help right now.
After receiving some injections and getting shutdown from his throwing program for a week in July, Iwakuma hasnt had any issues.
Better arm speed, better arm action, getting my mechanics and my deliveryto where I want to where its stress free on the shoulder, he said. As long as my mechanics are good, as long as Im not flying open, I dont feel anything. But when I do start flying open, I do feel tightness. Thats what Im working on right now.
Mitch Haniger (facial laceration) participated in the pregame workout on Thursday, including taking batting practice on the field. He could go on a rehab assignment by next week. It could be a prolonged stint for Haniger, who was struggling before getting in the face by a95 mph fastball from Mets pitcher Jacob deGromm. With the Sept. 1 roster expansion looming, the Mariners could wait to activateHaniger from the DL, which would allow them to avoid another roster move to make room for him.
Veteran catcher Tuffy Gosewisch was outrighted to Class AAA Tacoma on Thursday. Gosewisch was designated for assignment on August 6 to make room on the 40-man roster for reliever Ryan Garton, who was acquired in a trade from the Rays.
- Another Nice Thing We Can't Have in 2020: Shohei Ohtani's Pitching - FanGraphs - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging Growth Factors... - August 3rd, 2020
- PRP Platelet-Rich Plasma | Florida Sports and Family ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rockies vs. Athletics - Game Recap - July 28, 2020 - ESPN - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Share, Company Profiles, Emerging... - July 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Specialist - Farmington, NM ... - July 29th, 2020
- A & # 39; s slam Angels in the first MLB game with a new additional entry rule - NewsDio - July 26th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma |Therapy (PRP) Everything You Need to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: Why is the offense cold? Who is the Opening Day second baseman? - Chico Enterprise-Record - July 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Lip Augmentation Market Trends, Growth Insights, Share Estimation, Size Projection and Industry Dynamics By 2023 - Reported Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - The Mercury News - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Oroville Mercury-Register - July 22nd, 2020
- Takeaways from the As loss to the Giants: why is the offense cold? - Woodland Daily Democrat - July 22nd, 2020
- What is Trending in Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market? What are the Strategies to Boost Business in Near Years? -... - July 21st, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for the Knee: Does It Work? - July 21st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Living Well: PRP: A Promising Treatment - The Daily Progress - July 19th, 2020
- What Are the Different Types of Knee Injections? Pain Management - MedicineNet - July 16th, 2020
- Patient-Reported Outcomes After Platelet-Rich Plasma, Bone Marrow Aspirate, and Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injections for Symptomatic Knee... - July 16th, 2020
- These Are the Top Plastic Surgery Trends of the Last Decade, According to Top Surgeons - NewBeauty Magazine - July 15th, 2020
- Could Joe Maddon Lead The Angels To Cubs-like Success In 2020? - Prospect Insider - July 13th, 2020
- Jennifer Aydin Gets PRP Scalp Injections for Thinning Hair - Bravo - July 10th, 2020
- What is Platelet Rich Plasma? | PRP Treatments West ... - July 10th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections | HCA UK - July 10th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma - July 10th, 2020
- Tony Delk IMAC Regeneration Center helps heal bodies without surgery or opioids - The Sentinel-Echo - July 10th, 2020
- PRP for Hair Loss: Efficacy, Safety, and Cost - July 1st, 2020
- Tendinitis Treatment Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 26th, 2020
- Aviva Woman Is Providing Facial Treatments and Erectile Dysfunction Therapy in Salt Lake City - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2020
- Upgraded Regenerative Stem Cell Exosome Joint Injection Medical Therapy Launched - Newswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast 2028 | Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bioventus, Ferring... - June 22nd, 2020
- Enso Discoveries, LLC is Excited to Announce the Launch of a Human Health DivisionEnso DoctorsLed by Newly Appointed VP of Human Health, Jim Long, MT... - June 18th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Exhausted all options? This procedure may just do the trick - Express - June 12th, 2020
- Doctor has seen a surge in men asking for penis injections - Metro.co.uk - June 7th, 2020
- Are competitive sports doing you more harm than good? - Starts at 60 - June 5th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis,... - May 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on JOINT PAIN INJECTION MARKET CURRENT INDUSTRY STATUS, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES, TOP KEY PLAYERS, TARGET AUDIENCE AND FORECAST 2020 TO... - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Strategically Analysis of Each Submarket With Respect To Individual Growth... - May 28th, 2020
- 10 Things You Should Know About Dermal Fillers Before Getting Them Our Interview With Dr Nicholas Toscano On Juvederm - CelebMix - May 28th, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors and Forecast - 2028 | Anika... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Intradiscal Injection for Discogenic Pain: Te | JPR - Dove Medical Press - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma: Does the cure for hair loss lie within our blood? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - May 13th, 2020
- Don't feel bad about your neck a dermatologist urges the importance of protecting 'the forgotten skin' - image.ie - May 10th, 2020
- The Dermatologist Whos Obsessed With Sun Damage - The Cut - April 24th, 2020
- Baby Hair or Breakage: How to Tell the Difference - Allure - April 22nd, 2020
- The Best Face and Body Skin-Care Products for 2020 - Shape Magazine - April 21st, 2020
- Twins Daily: How would a shortened season impact MLB injuries? - Bring Me The News - April 3rd, 2020
- Stifle injuries and treatments - Tri-State Livestock News - March 29th, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy for Arthritis - March 25th, 2020
- Losing Your Hair? This Is Why You Need A Scalp Analysis - Essence - March 25th, 2020
- Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury - Science Advances - March 20th, 2020
- Upside For Flexion Therapeutics Depends On How Well It Can Commercialize ZILRETTA In 2020 - Seeking Alpha - March 20th, 2020
- The Regenerative Clinic adds new treatment to its portfolio - LaingBuisson - March 14th, 2020
- From Botox and fillers to PRP and microneedling: an expert guide to non-invasive cosmetic procedures - Evening Standard - March 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to... - March 9th, 2020
- Griffin Canning to receive biological injection in elbow, will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks - Yahoo Sports - March 7th, 2020
- Padres notes: Tommy Pham expected to play left field soon; Fernando Tatis Jr. gaining strength - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 7th, 2020
- Non Surgical Aesthetics Are in High Demand, So Thread Lifts Are a New Way to Achieve Instant Skin Tightening - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Fiery Ragin' Cajuns catcher Toro hot with his arm, bat - Daily Advertiser - March 5th, 2020
- Can You Naturally Rejuvenate Skin Cells? Yes Here Are 5 Proven Ways - mindbodygreen.com - March 4th, 2020
- Common sources of shoulder pain and how to treat it - Summit Daily News - February 28th, 2020
- HEALTHBEAT 4: Alternatives to surgery - KTIV - February 28th, 2020
- Doctors harness the body's healing powers to fight pain - KETV Omaha - February 27th, 2020
- Canadians More Than Ever are Seeking Cosmetic Procedures of All Types to Look and Feel Best - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 24th, 2020
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP): Costs, side effects ... - February 21st, 2020
- New informative research on Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 | Major Players: Orange County Hair Restoration... - February 21st, 2020
- Konica Minolta Healthcare Expands Ultrasound Guided Solutions Through Partnership with RegenLab USA - Yahoo Finance - February 21st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injection Market Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - Jewish Life... - February 11th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: A controversial treatment promoted by a certain royal could help - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Shereene Idriss Shares 2020 Filler Innovations and Trends - coveteur.com - February 9th, 2020
- Improve Sexual Function for Men: Get the Latest Research in Erectile Dysfunction - Newswire - February 4th, 2020
- PRP: Cost, Side Effects, and Recovery - February 2nd, 2020
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Does It Work? - www.PainScience.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Can fasting reverse your 'biological' age? It can, according to Goop Lab experts - CNET - February 2nd, 2020
- Combining art and science in a medical practice - Coast Mountain News - January 27th, 2020
- Know About the Latest & Best Non-Surgical Ways To Regrow Hair by Dr. Debraj Shome, Cosmetic Surgeon & Director, The Esthetic Clinics - APN... - January 27th, 2020
- Global Joint Pain Injections Market Size 2020 | Key Players, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2029 Forecast Research - Sound On Sound Fest - January 27th, 2020
- LDUNA Aesthetics and Wellness Center Grand Opening Celebration, Jan. 22 - Nevada Business Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Hair VitaminsHow to Choose the Best Hair Vitamins and How Long Do You Have to Take Them? - Parade - January 22nd, 2020