When I mention the words gene therapy, you might immediately think of the horrifying eugenics experiments conducted by the Nazis in World War II.
Since then, however, fantastic advances in technology have allowed scientists to learn an incredible amount about how the human body works. As a result, gene therapy and genetic medicine have become a huge boon to mankind since the practice originally emerged.
Indeed, initiatives like the Human Genome Project have shed more light on genetic expression and how various traits and diseases are passed from generation to generation.
In fact, gene therapy currently in its infancy holds the promise of suppressing (or even curing) any number of genetic diseases or disorders.
And in this regard, scientists in China have just taken a bold new step forward. One that others have feared to take
Along with the very first thought about gene therapy came a huge concern: The very same therapies that could modify human genes in existing patients could be used to modify people before they were even born.
You see, when gene therapy is conducted on fully formed, living people, the results arent heritable. So if something goes wrong, its limited to that person any man-made genetic mistake wouldnt spread into the wider population.
But a genetically modified embryo could theoretically carry the new genetic information through every cell it ever grew including reproductive cells and pass the modification on to his or her children.
This fear, not to mention the specter of less ethical gene modifications in the future, has previously blocked scientists from performing gene replacement experiments on human embryos.
But not anymore
Scientists at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, China recently took an unprecedented step.
They replaced the genes in a single-cell embryo.
Their motives were well-intentioned the experiment was to try to replace a gene that causes a serious and sometimes fatal blood disorder, and which replicated similar gene replacement therapies tested on adult human cells and animal embryos.
They also took some precautions to allay ethical concerns. Lead scientist, Junjiu Huang, insisted on using non-viable embryos i.e., castoffs from fertility clinics that could never become fully developed humans.
Nevertheless, some scientists are up in arms about the experiment, despite the precautions taken. And despite the significance of the research, it caused enough controversy that the resulting report was said to have been rejected by some larger scientific journals.
Unfortunately, the experiment didnt produce the expected results anyway. The existing gene-replacement regimen didnt result in successful gene replacement often enough to justify any further experimentation along the same line.
But still, the step has been taken and its an important one
Ultimately, were nearing a day when it will be possible to cure diseases and disorders before people get them even before theyre born! Thats obviously a goal worth pursuing. And while some scientists dislike gene experimentation, others are more philosophical, reasoning that its only a matter of time before such trials are commonplace.
But were not there yet.
Gene replacement therapy is still a young science, and despite hundreds of therapies that have gone to human clinical trials, there isnt a single gene replacement therapy in widespread use.
Indeed, one of the more successful gene replacement treatments was actually stopped. Scientists found that while it did cure the disease it targeted, the new genetic code also seemed to cause leukemia.
Thats a prime example of how complex this field is and the danger of using such therapy on embryos. An unintended disease or disorder could be passed down from parent to child but perhaps not becoming apparent for many generations and long after that code is widespread.
However, with the experiment at Sun Yat-sen University having been completed, its clear that we no longer have the luxury of deferring the argument about the ethics of genetic changes to human embryos to some point in the future. Because the future has just occurred.
To living and investing in the future,
Read the original here:
Gene Therapy: Chinese Researching Gene Replacement
- Cancer gene therapy backed by Blackstone gets trial win - BioPharma Dive - December 6th, 2019
- Counterculture 73: Summer Jam, Timothy Leary and the Sexual Revolution - Rolling Stone - December 6th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - The Market Stats News - December 6th, 2019
- World AIDS Day 2019: 37.9M people worldwide were living with HIV at the end of 2018 - USA TODAY - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019 Analysis by Industry Growth, Size, Share, Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Eastlake Times - November 30th, 2019
- Diabetic foot wounds kill millions, but high-tech solutions and teamwork are making a difference - Thehour.com - November 28th, 2019
- Macular Degeneration Treatment Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2019 2026 - The Chicago Sentinel - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of BLFS earnings conference call or presentation 12-Nov-19 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2019
- U.S. stem cell clinic offering unapproved therapies brings direct-to-consumer marketing to Ottawa - Ottawa Citizen - November 18th, 2019
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Dynamics, Pin-Point Analysis, Comprehensive Landscape, Demand Key Factors, Market Segments Regions, Therapy For Hemophilia... - November 18th, 2019
- Global Regenerative Therapies for Osteoarthritis Market Insights 2019 : Acelity, Mesoblast, Nuo Therapeutics, Astellas Pharma - Breakaway Trends - November 18th, 2019
- Abuse in cell banking services a global problem - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 14th, 2019
- Anti-Aging Products and Therapies Market Outlook: Investors Still Miss the Big Assessment - The Market Journal - November 11th, 2019
- Tip Sheet: A clever way to make an AIDS vaccine; how a common cancer mutation actually drives cancer; and a new process that regulates red blood cell... - November 9th, 2019
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market Industry Analysis And Forecast (2018-2026) - The Market Expedition - November 6th, 2019
- Davenport & Company Upped By $3.56 Million Its Sgmo (SGMO) Holding; EMPOWER CLINICS ORDINARY SHARES (EPWCF) Shorts Raised By 2360% - MS Wkly - November 6th, 2019
- Dr Batra's have launched a new genetics-based therapy that predicts future diseases - Gulf Today - October 31st, 2019
- Deepak Chopra Has Never Been Sick - The New Yorker - October 18th, 2019
- The Patient Perspective On Patient Centricity Insights From A Veteran Of 5 Clinical Trials - Clinical Leader - October 12th, 2019
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities & Forecast to 2025 - The Ukiah Post - October 11th, 2019
- Transfusion-dependent Anemia Treatment Market Gain Impetus due to the Growing Demand over 2019 2029 - Herald Space - October 1st, 2019
- Non-viral Gene Therapy will now accelerate cancer study - Industry Reporter - September 28th, 2019
- Social Impact Heroes: How Lynn OConnor Vos and the Muscular Dystrophy Association are helping to raise billions of dollars to fund research to... - September 28th, 2019
- Pollard and Norris in the race for Pos. 2 of the Public Hospital District 4 - Snoqualmie Valley Record - September 28th, 2019
- Nearly Half of Poland's SMA Patients on Track to Get Spinraza, Experts Say - SMA News Today - September 28th, 2019
- Prospective Study Characterizes PCa Risk Linked to BRCA1, BRCA2 Mutations - Renal and Urology News - September 28th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Forecast Research Reports Offers Key Insights 2017 2025 - Space Market Research - September 28th, 2019
- Google bans ads for 'bad actors' selling 'deceptive treatments' - BioEdge - September 22nd, 2019
- Texas State To Expand Round Rock Campus Programs, Services - Round Rock, TX Patch - September 22nd, 2019
- Transfusion-dependent Anemia Treatment Market Size, Status and Growth Opportunities by 2025 - The Market Plan - September 22nd, 2019
- Chemotherapy Drugs Market Strategies, Major Industry Participants, Marketing Channels and Forecast To2018 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Targeted Cancer Therapies Market Regional Landscape, Production, Sales & Consumption Status and Prospects 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 2025 - Technology Trend - September 22nd, 2019
- Biological Product Manufacturing Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Share, Trend, Growth, Analysis and Forecast - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Google Bans Advertising on Unproven Medical Treatments (like Stem Cells) - Bedford Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- 4 Barriers To Cell And Gene Therapy Development For Rare ... - May 18th, 2019
- Gene Therapy: The New Frontier for Inherited Retinal Disease - April 16th, 2019
- Nutrition : The Addiction Recovery Guide - March 25th, 2019
- F.D.A. Speeds Review of Gene Therapies, Vowing to Target ... - February 17th, 2019
- Cell and Gene Therapy Center - IQVIA - December 24th, 2018
- resurrection-clinics.eu - August 24th, 2018
- Hacking Your Genes Has Never Been Easier - Outside Magazine - September 8th, 2017
- FDA approves first cell-based gene therapy for use in the United States - Gears Of Biz - September 8th, 2017
- Quick Hits: Withdrawn Leukemia Drug Returning, Drugmaker in $58M Settlement Over Sales Reps, and More - MedShadow (registration) (blog) - September 8th, 2017
- FDA Approves New Cancer Treatment - Alive For Football - September 5th, 2017
- Global Cancer Biological Therapy Analysis & Forecast 2016 to 2023 - Digital Journal - September 5th, 2017
- How one California county is fighting high-priced surgeries - Los Angeles Times - September 2nd, 2017
- New 'hit-and-run' gene editing tool temporarily rewrites genetics to treat cancer and HIV - GeekWire - September 2nd, 2017
- Australian Market Declines - Markets Insider - August 29th, 2017
- New Stanford drug saves child with deadly genetic disease - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Orphan Diseases Market Key Players analysis ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Gene Editing in Human Embryos Leaps ForwardHere's the Science - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Global Cancer Biological Therapy Market 2017 Size, Development Status, Type and Application, Segmentation ... - Digital Journal - August 22nd, 2017
- Traditional Therapy Clinics Ltd (TTC.AX) Money Flow Index Levels in Focus - Stock Daily Review - August 22nd, 2017
- Sodium Iodide Symporter for Nuclear Molecular Imaging and ... - August 13th, 2017
- Biological bypass shows promise in coronary artery disease - Medical Xpress - August 12th, 2017
- Cardiovascular disease cure? One session of THIS could help treat condition - Express.co.uk - August 9th, 2017
- Understanding the muscle behind global duchenne muscular dystrophy market - WhaTech - August 9th, 2017
- Proton Therapy: How It Could Change The Outcome of Paediatric Cancer - HuffPost - August 5th, 2017
- Wilson's Disease Market: Unmet Needs of Patient Population to Inspire Players for Improved Treatment Options - Edition Truth - August 5th, 2017
- In a first, scientists edit fatal gene mutation out of DNA - Asheboro Courier Tribune - August 4th, 2017
- Head and Neck Cancer Therapeutics Market is Expected to Generate Huge Profits by 2024 - MilTech - July 12th, 2017
- Cancer Biological Therapy market is rising with potential rate at CAGR of 4.7 % till 2023 - MENAFN.COM - July 11th, 2017
- Stem cell therapies breaking barriers - Guardian (blog) - July 9th, 2017
- Alternative Cancer Clinics - Immunotherapy for Cancer - July 8th, 2017
- Advanced Gene-Targeted Therapies - Alternative Cancer Clinics - July 8th, 2017
- Cure for ageing could lie in gene therapy | WIRED UK - July 1st, 2017
- Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network - Digital Journal (press release) - July 1st, 2017
- Gene Therapy Market - Size, Share, industry, Forecast ... - November 30th, 2016
- Medi-Cal: Medi-Cal Update - Clinics and Hospitals | May ... - November 23rd, 2016
- Home Page of the Human Gene and Cell Therapy Center - August 29th, 2015