Stem cells are specialized cells that have the potential to develop into not one but many different types of cell. They are unlike any other cell for three specific reasons:
Currently, blood stem cells are the only type regularly used for treatment. In cases of leukemia or lymphoma, this type of cell is used in a procedure we commonly refer to as a bone marrow transplant. For this purpose, only adult stems cells are used.
When it comes to stem cell research, the cells may come from any number of different sources, including adult donors, embryos, or genetically altered human cells.
The cells of the bone marrow produce all of your healthy blood cells, including red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Hematopoietic stem cells are those found in bone marrow that serves as the "parent" for all of these different types of cells.
Hematopoietic stem cells are transplanted into a person with cancer to help replenish bone marrow. The procedure is often used when high dose chemotherapy effectively destroys the existing stem cells in a persons bone marrow.
To remedy this, donated stem cells are injected into a vein and eventually settle in the bone marrow where they start producing healthy, new blood cells.
Years ago, the only source for hematopoietic stem cells were those taken from bone marrow. It was soon after discovered that many of these cells were circulating freely in the bloodstream.
In time, scientists learned how to harvest these cells from circulating blood and to transplant them directly into a donor.
This type of transplant known as a peripheral blood stem cell transplant, or PBSCT has become the more common procedure, although both methods are still used. PBSCT is far less invasive and doesnt require the removal of marrow from the hip bone.
Adult stem cells, called somatic stem cells, are derived from a human donor. Hematopoietic stem cells are the most widely known example. Scientists have found somatic stem cells in more tissues than was once imagined, including the brain, skeletal muscle, skin, teeth, heart, gut, liver, ovarian cells, and testis.
Embryonic stem cells are controversial since they are derived from human embryos that have either been destroyed or harvested for science. Embryonic stem cells were first grown in a laboratory in 1998 for reproductive purposes. Today, they are used primarily for research into treatments or cures for cancers, blindness, juvenile diabetes, Parkinsons, spinal cord injuries, and genetic disorders of the immune system.
Embryonic stem cells are pluripotent, meaning they are able to grow into the three types of germ cell layers that make up the human body (ectoderm, mesoderm, endoderm).
In other words, they can develop into each of the more than 200 cell types if specified to do so.
Induced pluripotent stem cells, or iPSCs, are somatic stem cells that have been genetically reprogrammed to be more like embryonic stem cells. iPSCs usually start out as skin or blood cells which then undergo genetic programming.
iPSCs were first developed in 2006 and pose one major advantage over somatic and embryonic stem cells: they can be made in a patient-matched manner. What this means is that a lab can tailor-make a pluripotent stem cell line individualized from a persons own cells or tissues.
See the original post here:
Where Do Stem Cells Come From? - verywellhealth.com
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - Azizsalon News - May 14th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells - Methods and Protocols | Shree Ram ... - May 13th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Latest Trends and Analysis Future Growth Study by 2029 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Global Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market to Generate Lucrative Revenue Prospects for Manufacturers After the End of COVID-19 Crisis and Forecast... - May 4th, 2020
- Normal human uterus is colonised by clones with cancer-driving mutations that arise early in life, study finds - Cambridge Network - April 24th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 17th, 2020
- Scientists 'Reset' The Age of Stem Cells From a Supercentenarian Who Lived to 114 - ScienceAlert - March 25th, 2020
- Forty Seven and Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announce Research Collaboration for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - March 11th, 2020
- Mapping the structure and biological functions within mesenchymal bodies using microfluidics - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- Researchers ID Protein-Protein Interaction That Promotes Cancer Development - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Dental Regenerative Market Size, Share 2020 Regional Trend, Future Growth, Leading Players Updates, Industry Demand, Current and Future Plans by... - February 28th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross Around USD 6892 Million By 2027 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 17th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future2018 2028 - TechNews.mobi - February 15th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Worth Reach USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 12th, 2020
- New research shows what happens to your lung cells once you quit smoking - Daily Gaming Worlld - February 9th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 6th, 2020
- Scientists finally find link between stress and grey hair - nation.co.ke - January 31st, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Growing to Reach 6892 Million By 2027 - Market Research News 24 - January 29th, 2020
- Going Gray Too Soon? Scientists Say It Really May Be Due to Stress - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - January 25th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Business Wire - January 20th, 2020
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing - WRAL Tech Wire - January 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? - Industry Mirror - December 31st, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy Market 2019-2027 / Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Key - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Cell Therapy Industry Applications 2019-Size by Type (Allogenic Therapies), by Technique (Stem Cell Therapy), Global Market Growth by Demand Analysis... - December 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research Likely to Emerge over a Period of 2015-2025 - PharmiWeb.com - December 13th, 2019
- Orgenesis and Theracell to launch point-of-care cell and gene therapy centers in HYGEIA Group"s hospitals - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 6th, 2019
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announces First Patient Treated in Global Registrational Phase 2 Study of RP-L102 Process B for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Techi Labs - December 6th, 2019
- Brave new world? Why the public might be ready for gene-edited babies - Genetic Literacy Project - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research to Witness a Healthy Growth during 2015 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - November 25th, 2019
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Benefit and Volume with Status and Prospect to 2026 - Crypto Journal - November 21st, 2019
- US Nobel laureates tell us what they think about cancer research, moonshots, the dark side, funding, meritocracy, herd mentality, Trump, and joy - The... - November 21st, 2019
- Youngstown State, IBM to offer high-tech training in the Mahoning Valley - Crain's Cleveland Business - November 15th, 2019
- A short guide to regulation for disruptive technologies - Lexology - November 14th, 2019
- Cereal rust could lead to new wheat threat - Farm Weekly - November 14th, 2019
- Tooth Regeneration Industry 2019 Research on Market Sales, Revenue, Top Companies and Future Development - TheFinanceTime - November 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Opportunities and Challenges - MENAFN.COM - November 3rd, 2019
- Cell Therapy Market Forecast to 2025 | Analysis by Regions, Type, Application, and Top Key Players like Dendreon, Mesoblast, Vericel, Antibe... - November 3rd, 2019
- Detection of Latent HSCs Fated to Progress to Blast Phase in Myelofibrosis Patients Several Years Before Blast Transformation - DocWire News - October 25th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy is for animals too - SciTech Europa - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Markets Gazette - October 17th, 2019
- Significant Growth Foreseen by Stem Cell Therapies Market During 2015 2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Blast Off With Rocket Pharmaceuticals - Seeking Alpha - September 22nd, 2019
- Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market Estimated to Discern 2X Expansion by 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Tooth Regeneration Market : Huge Growth Opportunity by Trend, Key Players and Forecast 2026 - TodayTimes - September 22nd, 2019
- Direct generation of human naive induced pluripotent stem ... - June 5th, 2019
- Somatic Stem Cells and Cancer - Stem Cell Centers ... - May 4th, 2019
- Difference Between Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Mosaic (genetics) - Wikipedia - March 8th, 2019
- What is the Difference Between Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells - February 27th, 2019
- Somatic Cells - Definition and Examples | Biology Dictionary - November 14th, 2018
- Stem Cell Quick Reference - Learn.Genetics - September 9th, 2018
- What Is Another Name for Somatic Stem Cells and What Do ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Difference Between Somatic Cells and Gametes ... - June 19th, 2018
- Skin graft gene therapy could treat obesity and diabetes - ResearchGate (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Cloning - Wikipedia - December 7th, 2016
- Characterization of Regenerative Phenotype of Unrestricted ... - December 1st, 2016
- Somatic cell nuclear transfer - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2016
- Somatic cell - Wikipedia - November 2nd, 2016
- Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells, Whats the Difference? - November 2nd, 2016
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - October 21st, 2016
- Somatic stem cells in the human endometrium. - October 7th, 2016
- Glossary | stemcells.nih.gov - September 17th, 2016
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - September 17th, 2016
- Human embryonic stem cells derived by somatic cell nuclear ... - August 3rd, 2015
- Comparative proteomic analysis of human somatic cells ... - July 20th, 2015
- Somatic cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 15th, 2015
- somatic stem cell - Learn Genetics - July 2nd, 2015
- What is the difference between embryonic and somatic stem ... - June 11th, 2015
- Redox Signaling and Stem Cell Function - Dirk Bohmann - June 2nd, 2015
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 1st, 2015
- somatic stem cells - Science Daily - May 24th, 2015
- Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer | Knoepfler Lab Stem Cell Blog - May 20th, 2015
- Adult stem cell - ScienceDaily - May 10th, 2015
- Somatic cell nuclear transfer - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 6th, 2015
- Glossary [Stem Cell Information] - Embryonic stem cell - May 6th, 2015
- Human oocytes reprogram adult somatic nuclei of a type 1 ... - May 6th, 2015