This undated screen grab shows the cell-division of two fertilized human embryos during the first 24 hours of embryonic development following IVF treatment at a private clinic in London. ( Jim Dyson/Getty Images )
LOS ANGELES - Some of the scientific advancements of the 2010s have been truly mind-blowing, and perhaps none more so than the leaps and bounds weve made in the realm of reproduction.
This was not only the decade in which the first three-parent baby was born, it was the era when a rogue scientist chose to make edits to a set of twin girls DNA, making real the long-imagined scenario of genetically altering human beings while simultaneously thrusting the deeply complicated ethical discussions surrounding this practice into the limelight.
These are the five most life-altering breakthroughs in reproduction from the past decade.
In 2018, Chinese biophysics researcher He Jiankui announced that he had used the gene-editing tool CRISPR to modify the genes of two twin girls before birth. He and his team said that their goal was to make the girls immune to infection by HIV through the elimination of a gene called CCR5.
When the news broke, many mainstream scientists criticized the attempt, calling it too unsafe to try. Where some people saw the potential for a new kind of medical treatment capable of eradicating genetic disease, others saw a window into a dystopian future filled with designer babies and framed by a new kind of eugenics.
At the time, Dr. Kiran Musunuru, a University of Pennsylvania gene-editing expert, said Hes work was unconscionable... an experiment on human beings that is not morally or ethically defensible.
Other experts believe Hes work could propel the field of gene editing forward.
The twins, known as Lulu and Nana, have continued to make headlines since their birth. The gene modification that He claims to have carried out may have caused some unintended mutations in other parts of the genome, which could have unpredictable consequences for their health long term something many scientists who argue against Hes work cite as a reason to hold off on using gene-editing technology on humans.
Only time will tell what will happen to Lulu and Nana and if the edits to their DNA ultimately help or hurt them, but their story pushed the topic of human gene-editing and the ethics surrounding it to the forefront of the global scientific community.
In 2016, a technique called mitochondrial transfer was used successfully for the first time to create a three-parent baby grown from a fathers sperm, a mothers cell nucleus and a third donors egg that had the nucleus removed.
This technique was developed to prevent the transmission of certain genetic disorders through the mothers mitochondria. The majority of a three-parent babys DNA would come from his parents in the form of nuclear DNA, and only a small portion would come from the donor in the form of mitochondrial DNA.
A team led by physician John Zhang at the New Hope Fertility Center in New York City facilitated the birth of the first three-parent baby in April 2016.
Using human pluripotent stem cells, researchers were able to make the precursors of human sperm or eggs. In other words, they reprogrammed skin and blood stem cells to become an early-state version of what would eventually become either sperm or an egg.
"The creation of primordial germ cells is one of the earliest events during early mammalian development," Dr. Naoko Irie, first author of the paper from the Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute at the University of Cambridge told Science Daily. "It's a stage we've managed to recreate using stem cells from mice and rats, but until now few researches have done this systematically using human stem cells. It has highlighted important differences between embryo development in humans and rodents that may mean findings in mice and rats may not be directly extrapolated to humans."
A 2018 study showed that gene editing can allow two same-sex mice to conceive pups, and two female mice were able to successfully create healthy pups that then went on to reproduce themselves.
A team of researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, led by developmental biologist Qi Zhou, were able to use gene editing to produce 29 living mice from two females, seven of which went on to have their own pups. They were able to produce 12 pups from two male parents, but those offspring were not able to live more than two days.Whether or not the method can one day be used in same-sex human reproduction is still up for debate.
For the first time ever, Chinese scientists were able to clone two primates using the technique that produced Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell via nuclear transfer.
The two cloned female macaques were named Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua, and their successful birth opened up the possibility of using the same cloning method to one day clone humans.
- The Rise of Longevity Therapeutics - Pharmaceutical Executive - May 28th, 2021
- Tooth Regeneration Market Size | COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Forecast to 2027 investigated in the latest research - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Market Report 2021: In Total, At Least 68 Distinct Market Competitors Now Offer Various Types of iPSC... - April 18th, 2021
- Emergent drift of Dental Regenerative Products Market By the World in Upcoming Year 2021-2027 with Leading Key Players: Provia Laboratories, LLC,... - April 18th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases is Driving the Market - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Global Gene Therapy Market Analysis Report 2021 and Forecast to 2029 with different segments, Key players KSU | The Sentinel... - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cells- Definition, Properties, Types, Uses, Challenges - February 4th, 2021
- Experts Predict the Hottest Life Science Tech in 2021 and Beyond - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 19th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- Integration of intra-sample contextual error modeling for improved detection of somatic mutations from deep sequencing - Science Advances - December 10th, 2020
- MPN Driver Mutations Can Be Acquired as Early as in Utero, Study Shows - Targeted Oncology - December 10th, 2020
- Accumulated genetic variations: What they are and why they matter to a complete health picture - MedCity News - December 3rd, 2020
- The South and Central America cell therapy instruments market is expected to reach US$ 462.05 million in 2027 from US$ 1,074.99 million in 2019 -... - November 25th, 2020
- Non-hereditary mutation acts as natural gene therapy for GATA2 deficiency - Health Europa - November 18th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Key Players MEDIPOST, Kolon TissueGene, NuVasive, Fibrocell Science - The Think... - November 18th, 2020
- Minaris invests to triple capacity in Europe - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- Minaris Regenerative Medicine to Significantly Expand Manufacturing Capacity for Cell and Gene Therapies in Germany and Japan - b3c newswire - November 3rd, 2020
- The Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology market to witness an incremental CAGR between 2020 and 2030 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Technological Innovations and Pandemic Analysis Till 2030: Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - Eurowire - October 28th, 2020
- Novel Strategies for Targeting the Guardian of the Genome Emerge - OncLive - October 23rd, 2020
- SFARI | New collaboration between SFARI and Nancy Lurie Marks Family Foundation will generate hundreds of iPSC lines for autism research - SFARI News - October 21st, 2020
- Five Indian American Researchers Named Among NIH 2020 New Innovator Awardees - India West - October 21st, 2020
- A pathway to nowhere? A critique of the National Academy of Sciences report on genome editing - BioNews - October 13th, 2020
- Large-scale RNAi screening uncovers therapeutic targets in the parasite Schistosoma mansoni - Science Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Development Status, Emerging Technologies, Regional Trends and Comprehensive Research Study 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2029 - Scientect - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast till 2029 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To 2027 | MEDIPOST, Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Cells for... - August 22nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Hunter Syndrome Industry to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLDX.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market By Industry Type, By Brand And Major Players 2020-2027 - Market Research Posts - August 6th, 2020
- CAREDX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 4th, 2020
- Tooth Regeneration Market Size -Future of growth, Top Capital Facts, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 - 2025 - Market... - July 29th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells | SpringerLink - July 29th, 2020
- -Catenin safeguards the ground state of mousepluripotency by strengthening the robustness of the transcriptional apparatus - Science Advances - July 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Size, Share, Emerging Trends, Business Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key... - July 17th, 2020
- Somatic Cells: Meaning, Characteristics, Types and Examples - July 15th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - BusinessGhana - July 10th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - Business Wire - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Type, Application, Population Demographics and Region. - Morning Tick - July 6th, 2020
- REGENERATIVE MEDICINE MARKET ALONG WITH COVID-19 IMPACT ANALYSIS AND CLINICAL OUTLOOK 2022 | STRYKER CORPORATION, ZIMMER BIOMET HOLDINGS INC.,... - July 2nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2024 - Rising Global Healthcare Expenditure Presents Opportunities - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Estrogen induces dynamic ER and RING1B recruitment to control gene and enhancer activities in luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - June 8th, 2020
- Participation of Somatic Stem Cells, Labeled by a Unique ... - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Market Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - June 5th, 2020
- A caveolin binding motif in Na/K-ATPase is required for stem cell differentiation and organogenesis in mammals and C. elegans - Science Advances - June 1st, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - Azizsalon News - May 14th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells - Methods and Protocols | Shree Ram ... - May 13th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Latest Trends and Analysis Future Growth Study by 2029 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Global Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market to Generate Lucrative Revenue Prospects for Manufacturers After the End of COVID-19 Crisis and Forecast... - May 4th, 2020
- Normal human uterus is colonised by clones with cancer-driving mutations that arise early in life, study finds - Cambridge Network - April 24th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 17th, 2020
- Scientists 'Reset' The Age of Stem Cells From a Supercentenarian Who Lived to 114 - ScienceAlert - March 25th, 2020
- Forty Seven and Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announce Research Collaboration for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - March 11th, 2020
- Mapping the structure and biological functions within mesenchymal bodies using microfluidics - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- Researchers ID Protein-Protein Interaction That Promotes Cancer Development - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Dental Regenerative Market Size, Share 2020 Regional Trend, Future Growth, Leading Players Updates, Industry Demand, Current and Future Plans by... - February 28th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross Around USD 6892 Million By 2027 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 17th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future2018 2028 - TechNews.mobi - February 15th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Worth Reach USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 12th, 2020
- New research shows what happens to your lung cells once you quit smoking - Daily Gaming Worlld - February 9th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 6th, 2020
- Scientists finally find link between stress and grey hair - nation.co.ke - January 31st, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Growing to Reach 6892 Million By 2027 - Market Research News 24 - January 29th, 2020
- Going Gray Too Soon? Scientists Say It Really May Be Due to Stress - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - January 25th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Business Wire - January 20th, 2020
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing - WRAL Tech Wire - January 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? - Industry Mirror - December 31st, 2019
- Gene Therapy Market 2019-2027 / Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Key - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Cell Therapy Industry Applications 2019-Size by Type (Allogenic Therapies), by Technique (Stem Cell Therapy), Global Market Growth by Demand Analysis... - December 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research Likely to Emerge over a Period of 2015-2025 - PharmiWeb.com - December 13th, 2019
- Orgenesis and Theracell to launch point-of-care cell and gene therapy centers in HYGEIA Group"s hospitals - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 6th, 2019
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announces First Patient Treated in Global Registrational Phase 2 Study of RP-L102 Process B for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Techi Labs - December 6th, 2019
- Brave new world? Why the public might be ready for gene-edited babies - Genetic Literacy Project - December 6th, 2019