Are you confused about all the different types of stem cells? Read on to learn where different types of stem cells come from, what their potential is for use in therapy, and why some types of stem cells are shrouded in controversy.
Researchers are working on new ways to use stem cells to cure diseases and heal injuries. Learn more about unlocking stem cell potential.
Somatic stem cells (also called adult stem cells) exist naturally in the body. They are important for growth, healing, and replacing cells that are lost through daily wear and tear.
Stem cells from the blood and bone marrow are routinely used as a treatment for blood-related diseases. However, under natural circumstances somatic stem cells can become only a subset of related cell types. Bone marrow stem cells, for example, differentiate primarily into blood cells. This partial differentiation can be an advantage when you want to produce blood cells; but it is a disadvantage if you're interested in producing an unrelated cell type.
Most types of somatic stem cells are present in low abundance and are difficult to isolate and grow in culture. Isolation of some types could cause considerable tissue or organ damage, as in the heart or brain. Somatic stem cells can be transplanted from donor to patient, but without drugs that suppress the immune system, a patient's immune system will recognize transplanted cells as foreign and attack them.
Therapy involving somatic stem cells is not controversial; however, it is subject to the same ethical considerations that apply to all medical procedures.
Embryonic stem (ES) cells are formed as a normal part of embryonic development. They can be isolated from an early embryo and grown in a dish.
ES cells have the potential to become any type of cell in the body, making them a promising source of cells for treating many diseases.
Without drugs that suppress the immune system, a patient's immune system will recognize transplanted cells as foreign and attack them.
When scientists isolate human embryonic stem (hES) cells in the lab, they destroy an embryo. The ethical and legal implications of this have made some reluctant to support research involving hES cells. In recent years, some researchers have focused their efforts on creating stem cells that don't require the destruction of embryos.
Learn more about the controversy behind embryonic stem cells and why new stem-cell technologies may bring it to an end. The Stem Cell Debate: Is It Over?
Induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells are created artificially in the lab by "reprogramming" a patient's own cells. iPS cells can be made from readily available cells including fat, skin, and fibroblasts (cells that produce connective tissue).
Mouse iPS cells can become any cell in the body (or even a whole mouse). Although more analysis is needed, the same appears to be true for human iPS cells, making them a promising source of cells for treating many diseases. Importantly, since iPS cells can be made from a patient's own cells, there is no danger that their immune system will reject them.
iPS cells are much less expensive to create than ES cells generated through therapeutic cloning (another type of patient-specific stem cell; see below). However, because the "reprogramming" process introduces genetic modifications, the safety of using iPS cells in patients is uncertain.
Therapy involving iPS cells is subject to the same ethical considerations that apply to all medical procedures.
Therapeutic cloning is a method for creating patient-specific embryonic stem (ES) cells.
Therapeutic cloning can, in theory, generate ES cells with the potential to become any type of cell in the body. In addition, since these cells are made from a patient's own DNA, there is no danger of rejection by the immune system.
In 2013, for the first time, a group of researchers used therapeutic cloning to make ES cells. The donor nucleus came from a child with a rare genetic disorder. However, the cloning process remains time consuming, inefficient, and expensive.
Therapeutic cloning brings up considerable ethical considerations. It involves creating a clone of a human being and destroying the cloned embryo, and it requires a human egg donor.
Genetic Science Learning Center. (2014, July 10) Stem Cell Quick Reference. Retrieved September 07, 2018, from https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/stemcells/quickref/
Stem Cell Quick Reference [Internet]. Salt Lake City (UT): Genetic Science Learning Center; 2014 [cited 2018 Sep 7] Available from https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/stemcells/quickref/
Genetic Science Learning Center. "Stem Cell Quick Reference." Learn.Genetics. July 10, 2014. Accessed September 7, 2018. https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/stemcells/quickref/.
Continue reading here:
Stem Cell Quick Reference - Learn.Genetics
- The South and Central America cell therapy instruments market is expected to reach US$ 462.05 million in 2027 from US$ 1,074.99 million in 2019 -... - November 25th, 2020
- Non-hereditary mutation acts as natural gene therapy for GATA2 deficiency - Health Europa - November 18th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Key Players MEDIPOST, Kolon TissueGene, NuVasive, Fibrocell Science - The Think... - November 18th, 2020
- Minaris invests to triple capacity in Europe - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- Minaris Regenerative Medicine to Significantly Expand Manufacturing Capacity for Cell and Gene Therapies in Germany and Japan - b3c newswire - November 3rd, 2020
- The Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology market to witness an incremental CAGR between 2020 and 2030 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Technological Innovations and Pandemic Analysis Till 2030: Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - Eurowire - October 28th, 2020
- Novel Strategies for Targeting the Guardian of the Genome Emerge - OncLive - October 23rd, 2020
- SFARI | New collaboration between SFARI and Nancy Lurie Marks Family Foundation will generate hundreds of iPSC lines for autism research - SFARI News - October 21st, 2020
- Five Indian American Researchers Named Among NIH 2020 New Innovator Awardees - India West - October 21st, 2020
- A pathway to nowhere? A critique of the National Academy of Sciences report on genome editing - BioNews - October 13th, 2020
- Large-scale RNAi screening uncovers therapeutic targets in the parasite Schistosoma mansoni - Science Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Development Status, Emerging Technologies, Regional Trends and Comprehensive Research Study 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2029 - Scientect - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast till 2029 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To 2027 | MEDIPOST, Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Cells for... - August 22nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Hunter Syndrome Industry to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLDX.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market By Industry Type, By Brand And Major Players 2020-2027 - Market Research Posts - August 6th, 2020
- CAREDX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 4th, 2020
- Tooth Regeneration Market Size -Future of growth, Top Capital Facts, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 - 2025 - Market... - July 29th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells | SpringerLink - July 29th, 2020
- -Catenin safeguards the ground state of mousepluripotency by strengthening the robustness of the transcriptional apparatus - Science Advances - July 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Size, Share, Emerging Trends, Business Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key... - July 17th, 2020
- Somatic Cells: Meaning, Characteristics, Types and Examples - July 15th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - BusinessGhana - July 10th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - Business Wire - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Type, Application, Population Demographics and Region. - Morning Tick - July 6th, 2020
- REGENERATIVE MEDICINE MARKET ALONG WITH COVID-19 IMPACT ANALYSIS AND CLINICAL OUTLOOK 2022 | STRYKER CORPORATION, ZIMMER BIOMET HOLDINGS INC.,... - July 2nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2024 - Rising Global Healthcare Expenditure Presents Opportunities - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Estrogen induces dynamic ER and RING1B recruitment to control gene and enhancer activities in luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - June 8th, 2020
- Participation of Somatic Stem Cells, Labeled by a Unique ... - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Market Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - June 5th, 2020
- A caveolin binding motif in Na/K-ATPase is required for stem cell differentiation and organogenesis in mammals and C. elegans - Science Advances - June 1st, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - Azizsalon News - May 14th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells - Methods and Protocols | Shree Ram ... - May 13th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Latest Trends and Analysis Future Growth Study by 2029 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Global Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market to Generate Lucrative Revenue Prospects for Manufacturers After the End of COVID-19 Crisis and Forecast... - May 4th, 2020
- Normal human uterus is colonised by clones with cancer-driving mutations that arise early in life, study finds - Cambridge Network - April 24th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 17th, 2020
- Scientists 'Reset' The Age of Stem Cells From a Supercentenarian Who Lived to 114 - ScienceAlert - March 25th, 2020
- Forty Seven and Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announce Research Collaboration for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - March 11th, 2020
- Mapping the structure and biological functions within mesenchymal bodies using microfluidics - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- Researchers ID Protein-Protein Interaction That Promotes Cancer Development - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Dental Regenerative Market Size, Share 2020 Regional Trend, Future Growth, Leading Players Updates, Industry Demand, Current and Future Plans by... - February 28th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross Around USD 6892 Million By 2027 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 17th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future2018 2028 - TechNews.mobi - February 15th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Worth Reach USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 12th, 2020
- New research shows what happens to your lung cells once you quit smoking - Daily Gaming Worlld - February 9th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 6th, 2020
- Scientists finally find link between stress and grey hair - nation.co.ke - January 31st, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Growing to Reach 6892 Million By 2027 - Market Research News 24 - January 29th, 2020
- Going Gray Too Soon? Scientists Say It Really May Be Due to Stress - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - January 25th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Business Wire - January 20th, 2020
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing - WRAL Tech Wire - January 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? - Industry Mirror - December 31st, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy Market 2019-2027 / Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Key - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Cell Therapy Industry Applications 2019-Size by Type (Allogenic Therapies), by Technique (Stem Cell Therapy), Global Market Growth by Demand Analysis... - December 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research Likely to Emerge over a Period of 2015-2025 - PharmiWeb.com - December 13th, 2019
- Orgenesis and Theracell to launch point-of-care cell and gene therapy centers in HYGEIA Group"s hospitals - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 6th, 2019
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announces First Patient Treated in Global Registrational Phase 2 Study of RP-L102 Process B for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Techi Labs - December 6th, 2019
- Brave new world? Why the public might be ready for gene-edited babies - Genetic Literacy Project - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research to Witness a Healthy Growth during 2015 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - November 25th, 2019
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Benefit and Volume with Status and Prospect to 2026 - Crypto Journal - November 21st, 2019
- US Nobel laureates tell us what they think about cancer research, moonshots, the dark side, funding, meritocracy, herd mentality, Trump, and joy - The... - November 21st, 2019
- Youngstown State, IBM to offer high-tech training in the Mahoning Valley - Crain's Cleveland Business - November 15th, 2019
- A short guide to regulation for disruptive technologies - Lexology - November 14th, 2019
- Cereal rust could lead to new wheat threat - Farm Weekly - November 14th, 2019
- Tooth Regeneration Industry 2019 Research on Market Sales, Revenue, Top Companies and Future Development - TheFinanceTime - November 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Opportunities and Challenges - MENAFN.COM - November 3rd, 2019
- Cell Therapy Market Forecast to 2025 | Analysis by Regions, Type, Application, and Top Key Players like Dendreon, Mesoblast, Vericel, Antibe... - November 3rd, 2019
- Detection of Latent HSCs Fated to Progress to Blast Phase in Myelofibrosis Patients Several Years Before Blast Transformation - DocWire News - October 25th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy is for animals too - SciTech Europa - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Markets Gazette - October 17th, 2019
- Significant Growth Foreseen by Stem Cell Therapies Market During 2015 2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019