The key difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells is that the embryonic stem cells are pluripotent undifferentiated cells that have embryonic origin while somatic stem cells are multipotent undifferentiated cells that are of tissue and organ origin.
Stem cells are undifferentiated cells which are capable of growing into true tissues or organs. Generally, there are two major stem cell types as embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells (somatic stem cells). In the case of differentiation, embryonic stem cells can differentiate into any type of cells. In contrast, somatic stem cells can only differentiate into several tissue-specific cells. Therefore, embryonic stem cells are pluripotent while somatic stem cells are multipotent. In simple words, the ability of differentiation is high in embryonic stem cells in comparison to that of somatic stem cells.
1. Overview and Key Difference 2. What areEmbryonic Stem Cells 3. What are Somatic Stem Cells 4. Similarities BetweenEmbryonic and Somatic Stem Cells 5. Side by Side Comparison Embryonic vs Somatic Stem Cells in Tabular Form 6. Summary
Embryonic stem cells are a type of undifferentiated cells present in early stages of embryonic development. The inner cell mass of the blastocyst is made up of embryonic stem cells. These embryonic stem cells are pluripotent in nature. Thus, they can differentiate into any type of cells. The extraction of embryonic stem cells can be done from the blastocyst stage of the embryonic development for stem cell culture. Following the extraction, the cells undergo maturation and division under in vitro conditions. The embryonic stem cells are able to grow in special high nutrient media where they differentiate into the three germ layers: ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm.
Figure 01: Embryonic Stem Cells
In modern therapy, embryonic stem cells are valuable tools in regenerative therapy and tissue replacement following injury or disease. The diseases that use embryonic stem cell therapy at present are diabetes, neurodegenerative disorders, spinal cord, and muscular injuries.
Somatic stem cells are the stem cells present in specific tissues and organs in adults. Therefore, adult stem cells is a synonym of somatic stem cells. Thus, adult stem cells originate from mature tissues and organs. They are multipotent cells; this means they can differentiate into several types of cells, but not pluripotent like embryonic stem cells. There are different types of somatic stem cells such as hematopoietic stem cells, intestinal stem cells, endothelial stem cells, neuronal stem cells, and mesenchymal stem cells.
Figure 02: Somatic Stem Cells
During division, somatic stem cells undergo two pathways. They are symmetric division and asymmetric division. The symmetric division produces daughter cells of similar properties whereas asymmetric division produces one similar daughter cell and a different progenitor cell.
There are many uses of somatic stem cells in research. They are useful in many drug testing protocols to check the effects of particular drugs or metabolites. Moreover, somatic stem cells are useful to determine the cellular behavior of particular organs and their signaling pathways. Furthermore, scientists use somatic cells as therapy as they are able to regenerate cells when proper conditions are present.
The key difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells is their site of extraction. Blastocyst stage of the embryonic development is the site of extraction of embryonic stem cells while specific tissues are the sites of extraction of somatic stem cell. Especially, embryonic stem cells can differentiate into any type of cells. In contrast, somatic stem cells cannot differentiate into all types of cells and can only differentiate into specific types of cells based on their origin. Therefore, this is also a major difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells.
Another difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells is their cell culturing process. Cell culturing of somatic stem cells are more laborious in comparison to embryonic stem cell culture.
The below infographic presents more information on the difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells.
Stem cells are undifferentiated cells. There are two broad classes of stem cells as embryonic stem cells and somatic stem cells. In summarizing the difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells, the embryonic stem cells can differentiate into any type of cells; thus, they are pluripotent. In contrast, somatic stem cells or adult stem cells can differentiate only into specific types of cells; thus, they are multipotent. Above all, the key difference between embryonic and somatic stem cells is the site of the derivation of these cell types. Embryonic stem cells are derived from the blastocyst while somatic stem cells are derived from specific organs upon the requirement.
1. Henningson, Carl T, et al. 28. Embryonic and Adult Stem Cell Therapy.The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Feb. 2003, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12592319.
1. Human embryonic stem cells only A : Human_embryonic_stem_cells.png: (Images: Nissim Benvenisty)derivative work: Vojtech.dostal (talk) Human_embryonic_stem_cells.png (CC BY 2.5) via Commons Wikimedia 2. Sources of new adult -cells By Murtaugh, L.C. and Kopinke, D., Pancreatic stem cells (July 11, 2008), StemBook, ed. The Stem Cell Research Community, StemBook, doi/10.3824/stembook.1.3.1, http://www.stembook.org. (CC BY 3.0) via Commons Wikimedia
Samanthi holds a B.Sc. Degree in Plant Science, M.Sc. in Molecular and Applied Microbiology, and PhD in Applied Microbiology (progressing). Her research interests include Bio-fertilizers, Plant Microbe Interactions, Molecular Microbiology, Soil Fungi, and Fungal Ecology.
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - WILX-TV - October 28th, 2021
- What are the different kinds of stem cells? | American for ... - October 28th, 2021
- The translatome of neuronal cell bodies, dendrites, and axons - pnas.org - October 28th, 2021
- Virtual Care Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2031 - BioSpace - October 28th, 2021
- The Rise of Longevity Therapeutics - Pharmaceutical Executive - May 28th, 2021
- Tooth Regeneration Market Size | COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Forecast to 2027 investigated in the latest research - WhaTech - May 28th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Market Report 2021: In Total, At Least 68 Distinct Market Competitors Now Offer Various Types of iPSC... - April 18th, 2021
- Emergent drift of Dental Regenerative Products Market By the World in Upcoming Year 2021-2027 with Leading Key Players: Provia Laboratories, LLC,... - April 18th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases is Driving the Market - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- Exclusive Report on Global Gene Therapy Market Analysis Report 2021 and Forecast to 2029 with different segments, Key players KSU | The Sentinel... - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cells- Definition, Properties, Types, Uses, Challenges - February 4th, 2021
- Experts Predict the Hottest Life Science Tech in 2021 and Beyond - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 19th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- Integration of intra-sample contextual error modeling for improved detection of somatic mutations from deep sequencing - Science Advances - December 10th, 2020
- MPN Driver Mutations Can Be Acquired as Early as in Utero, Study Shows - Targeted Oncology - December 10th, 2020
- Accumulated genetic variations: What they are and why they matter to a complete health picture - MedCity News - December 3rd, 2020
- The South and Central America cell therapy instruments market is expected to reach US$ 462.05 million in 2027 from US$ 1,074.99 million in 2019 -... - November 25th, 2020
- Non-hereditary mutation acts as natural gene therapy for GATA2 deficiency - Health Europa - November 18th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Key Players MEDIPOST, Kolon TissueGene, NuVasive, Fibrocell Science - The Think... - November 18th, 2020
- Minaris invests to triple capacity in Europe - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- Minaris Regenerative Medicine to Significantly Expand Manufacturing Capacity for Cell and Gene Therapies in Germany and Japan - b3c newswire - November 3rd, 2020
- The Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology market to witness an incremental CAGR between 2020 and 2030 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Technological Innovations and Pandemic Analysis Till 2030: Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - Eurowire - October 28th, 2020
- Novel Strategies for Targeting the Guardian of the Genome Emerge - OncLive - October 23rd, 2020
- SFARI | New collaboration between SFARI and Nancy Lurie Marks Family Foundation will generate hundreds of iPSC lines for autism research - SFARI News - October 21st, 2020
- Five Indian American Researchers Named Among NIH 2020 New Innovator Awardees - India West - October 21st, 2020
- A pathway to nowhere? A critique of the National Academy of Sciences report on genome editing - BioNews - October 13th, 2020
- Large-scale RNAi screening uncovers therapeutic targets in the parasite Schistosoma mansoni - Science Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Development Status, Emerging Technologies, Regional Trends and Comprehensive Research Study 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2029 - Scientect - August 28th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast till 2029 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To 2027 | MEDIPOST, Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Cells for... - August 22nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Hunter Syndrome Industry to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLDX.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market By Industry Type, By Brand And Major Players 2020-2027 - Market Research Posts - August 6th, 2020
- CAREDX : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 4th, 2020
- Tooth Regeneration Market Size -Future of growth, Top Capital Facts, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 - 2025 - Market... - July 29th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells | SpringerLink - July 29th, 2020
- -Catenin safeguards the ground state of mousepluripotency by strengthening the robustness of the transcriptional apparatus - Science Advances - July 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Size, Share, Emerging Trends, Business Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key... - July 17th, 2020
- Somatic Cells: Meaning, Characteristics, Types and Examples - July 15th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - BusinessGhana - July 10th, 2020
- Takeda and the New York Academy of Sciences Announce 2020 Innovators in Science Award Winners - Business Wire - July 10th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Type, Application, Population Demographics and Region. - Morning Tick - July 6th, 2020
- REGENERATIVE MEDICINE MARKET ALONG WITH COVID-19 IMPACT ANALYSIS AND CLINICAL OUTLOOK 2022 | STRYKER CORPORATION, ZIMMER BIOMET HOLDINGS INC.,... - July 2nd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2024 - Rising Global Healthcare Expenditure Presents Opportunities - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Estrogen induces dynamic ER and RING1B recruitment to control gene and enhancer activities in luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - June 8th, 2020
- Participation of Somatic Stem Cells, Labeled by a Unique ... - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Market Trends, Size, Share, Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - June 5th, 2020
- A caveolin binding motif in Na/K-ATPase is required for stem cell differentiation and organogenesis in mammals and C. elegans - Science Advances - June 1st, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - Azizsalon News - May 14th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells - Methods and Protocols | Shree Ram ... - May 13th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Latest Trends and Analysis Future Growth Study by 2029 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Global Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market to Generate Lucrative Revenue Prospects for Manufacturers After the End of COVID-19 Crisis and Forecast... - May 4th, 2020
- Normal human uterus is colonised by clones with cancer-driving mutations that arise early in life, study finds - Cambridge Network - April 24th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 17th, 2020
- Scientists 'Reset' The Age of Stem Cells From a Supercentenarian Who Lived to 114 - ScienceAlert - March 25th, 2020
- Forty Seven and Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announce Research Collaboration for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - March 11th, 2020
- Mapping the structure and biological functions within mesenchymal bodies using microfluidics - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- Researchers ID Protein-Protein Interaction That Promotes Cancer Development - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Dental Regenerative Market Size, Share 2020 Regional Trend, Future Growth, Leading Players Updates, Industry Demand, Current and Future Plans by... - February 28th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross Around USD 6892 Million By 2027 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 17th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future2018 2028 - TechNews.mobi - February 15th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Worth Reach USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 12th, 2020
- New research shows what happens to your lung cells once you quit smoking - Daily Gaming Worlld - February 9th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 6th, 2020
- Scientists finally find link between stress and grey hair - nation.co.ke - January 31st, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Growing to Reach 6892 Million By 2027 - Market Research News 24 - January 29th, 2020
- Going Gray Too Soon? Scientists Say It Really May Be Due to Stress - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - January 25th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Business Wire - January 20th, 2020
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing - WRAL Tech Wire - January 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? - Industry Mirror - December 31st, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy Market 2019-2027 / Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Key - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Cell Therapy Industry Applications 2019-Size by Type (Allogenic Therapies), by Technique (Stem Cell Therapy), Global Market Growth by Demand Analysis... - December 13th, 2019