Alexandra Cellucci was 28 when she was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis, a rare genetic disease that causes noncancerous tumors to growon thebody's nervous tissues. She was also eight months pregnant at the time, but she would eventually delivera healthy baby girl.
Neurofibromatosis,known as NF for short,runs in Cellucci'sfamily, so sheknew her daughter could have the diseaseand she could pass it on to futurechildren. So sheand her husband, Marc, used reproductive medicine to conceive another baby, hadthe embryostested for the gene that causes NFand had doctors implantembryos in her womb without the mutatedgene.
Alex Cellucci, 35, rubs fabric on her right eye, where she had a tumor removed the previous day, while watching a movie with her daughter, Maible, 6, at their home in Quincy, Mass. on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. Alex and Maible both have neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue. Alex was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis type 2 at age 28 and has since endured two MRI scans every year to monitor tumors.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
Cellucci, now 35, never got pregnant again, despite many attempts. She and her husband have since learned their daughter Maible, now6,also carriesthe gene for NF2, one of the three forms of the disease. The day before Maible's birthday last November,the girl asked if she had the disease. Cellucci said she told her yes and that she would be OK.
That's why the Massachusetts coupledonated seven embryos with the NF2 gene to the University of Michigan soresearchers could create an embryonic stem cell line that other researchers could study, with the hope of one day discovering a breakthrough. In a perfect world, such a development would come before their daughter endures any symptoms.
Alex Cellucci, 35, poses for a portrait at her home in Quincy, Mass. on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. Alex and her 6-year-old daughter, Maible, both have neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
I just wanted hope," said Cellucci, who had surgery last monthto remove a benigntumorbehind her eye. "They could possibly find a cure for (Maible) ... and offer hope for other families."
UM researchers have turned the Celluccis' embryos intothe firststem cell line that models NF2, which is one of the more rare forms of the disease. Besides the tumor growth, NF2 comes with a host of issues, including hearing loss, ringing in the ears and loss of balance. Symptoms typically appear in the teen years.
The embryonic stem cell line modeling the disease, created by ProfessorGary Smith, director ofthe MStem Cell Laboratories,has been acceptedonto the National Institutes of Health Human Embryonic Stem Cell Registryforother scientists to study and make discoveries around interventions anda possible cure. Another line also is under review.
Alex Cellucci, 35, watches a movie at her home in Quincy, Mass., a day after having a tumor removed from behind her right eye.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
Researchers can apply to access the stem cell lines on thefederal registryto study how diseases form and develop, with the aim of finding ways to better understand, treat, delay and possibly even cure diseases.
Smith has derived all of UM's56embryonic stem cell lines on the national registry, including 36 disease-specific lines. Hesaid the personal stories behind all of those stem cell lines are important.
"We just don't do science to do science," Smith said. "We do science to help others. Here is a family that recognizes that. Sometimes that gets lost on people. ... We really do want to help people."
The NF2 stem cell line comes as neurofibromatosis scientists andclinicians prepare to gather next month for their annual conference in San Francisco.
Alex Cellucci, 35, and her daughter, Maible, 6, watch a movie at their home in Quincy, Mass. on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. Alex and Maible both have neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue. Alex was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis type 2 at age 28 and has since had two MRI scans done every year to monitor tumors. Most recently, Alex had a tumor removed behind her right eye on Aug. 5, 2019.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
It also comes as Detroitbusinessman andCleveland Cavaliers ownerDan Gilbert has used philanthropy to support the small research community of neurofibromatosis. His 23-year-old son, Nick, was born with neurofibromatosis type 1.
NF2 afflicts1 in 33,000 people worldwide, while NF1 is more common, occurringin 1 in 3,000 to 4,000 people, according to the National Institutes of Health. NF1 typically begins in childhood and leads to skin changes and bone deformity.Schwannomatosis, the rarest type of NF, causes intense pain.
Gilbert, who suffered a stroke in late May,has spoken about neurofibromatosis and also about howNick, a Michigan State University student, hadto undergobrain surgery in 2018 to remove tumors.
Gilbert, a billionaire, has invested $64 million over the yearsthrough the Gilbert Family Foundation, including $12 million for gene therapy initiatives to address the underlying cause of NF1 and $11 million for vision loss in NF1 patients, which Nick grapples with, according toYooRi Kim, the foundation's scientific officer.
Marc and Alex Cellucci, and their daughter, Maible, 6, and dog Pedalino, pose for a portrait outside of their home in Quincy, Mass. on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. Alex and Maible both have neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
"With deeper understanding with each of these diseases that we've obtained over time, it's becoming more and more clear that the strategies that you would use to help each of thosepatients are going to look different," Kim said.
Even so, she said there is excitement about advances in research on other forms of NF, such as the stem cell line modeling NF2.
There arefour embryonic stem cell lines on the registry that model NF1, but theline UM created is the first for the research community studying NF2,according to Smith.
"It means a lot to the couplethat somebody is using something that otherwise would have been discarded and instead trying to make it something that can be used worldwide to understand this disease better," he said.
The stem cell line hasbeen applauded by Sally Temple, scientific director of the Neural Stem Cell Institute in Rensselaer,New York, which uses stem cell technologies to develop therapies that affect the nervous system.
Alex Cellucci, 35, and her daughter, Maible, 6, pose for a portrait outside of their home in Quincy, Mass. on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. Alex and Maible, both have neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue.(Photo: Nic Antaya, Special to The Detroit News)
"It's a really wonderful and generous for the parents to do," said Temple, who is also aUM adjunct professor in the ophthalmology department. "When you make these human embryonic stem cell lines, they are essentially a resource forever for the community. It's available and it will be there for (researchers)to use forever in the future. It's not a one-time donation."
She added that this is important for the NF2 community since it is such a devastating disease.
Marc Cellucci is beyond thrilled, and hopeful of the possibilities for the stem cell line that he and his wife helped create and what it could do for his daughter, wife, in-laws and so many others with NF.
It all has to start somewhere, said Cellucci,where the scientific breakthroughs happen, and the miracles begin.
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021
- People With Cancer Should Receive COVID-19 Vaccine, Experts Say - Cancer Health Treatment News - February 4th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future The Courier - The Courier - February 4th, 2021
- Healthcare Inventory Management Market: Rising Research and Development is Anticipated to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - January 30th, 2021
- Latest Research and Industry Trends of Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Forecast 2027 Stemcell Technologies, Wheaton Industries, GE Healthcare ... - January 30th, 2021
- 5 People in the BioHealth Capital Region You Should Know In 2021 - BioBuzz - January 30th, 2021
- Global CAR-T Therapy Market Opportunities and Strategies Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Their Goal: Meat That's Better Than Meat | Tufts Now - Tufts Now - January 30th, 2021
- Humanigen and Emergent BioSolutions Announce Contract Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Phase 3 COVID-19 Therapeutic Candidate Lenzilumab -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 7,250.0 Million by 2028 | Increasing Investments in Production Capacity Expansion for Cell and Gene... - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Human physiomimetic model integrating microphysiological systems of the gut, liver, and brain for studies of neurodegenerative diseases - Science... - January 30th, 2021
- Elevian Targets Aging to Solve Humanity's Toughest Diseases - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Propanc Biopharma Appoints Belen Toledo to Evaluate Impact of Proenzyme Therapy on Tumor Microenvironment - Business Wire - January 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Osiris... - January 25th, 2021
- Cell Separation Technologies Market to Reach $28.76 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 15.4% CAGR, Says Allied Market Research - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 25th, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - BioSpace - January 23rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $23.57 Bn By 2027; High demand for 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs to better understand their mechanism... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative medicine is advancing health care in diverse ways - Hometown Focus - January 22nd, 2021
- Gene Pathway Linked to Development of Schizophrenia - Psychiatric Times - January 22nd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces the Addition of BARDA and Expansion of CRADA with the US Government to Develop Lenzilumab for COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2021
- Cell Sorting Market Size to Reach USD 805.1 Million By 2027 | Expanding Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Industries will be the Major Factor Driving... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm's Covid-19 ARDS treatment improves lung function in study - Clinical Trials Arena - January 22nd, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on Automated Cell Culture Market Influencing the Industry Development and Forecast | BD, Tecan Trading, Sartorius, TAP Biosystems,... - January 22nd, 2021
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Size is Expected to reach USD 3529.26 Million by 2025 and Registeri - PharmiWeb.com - January 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 22nd, 2021
- New Genetic Disorder Discovered That Affects Brain and Craniofacial Skeleton - Technology Networks - January 22nd, 2021
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy Invests $1 Million in Satellos Bioscience to Support New Regenerative Medicine Technology - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem cells on the ballot - Science Magazine - January 14th, 2021
- 2021 Startups to Watch: Ronawk's T-Blocks stack the future of stem cell research in an Olathe lab - Startland News - January 14th, 2021
- Towards a Cure: Carleton Research Team Working on Stem Cell Therapy to Reverse Type 1 Diabetes - Carleton Newsroom - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market | Know the aspects that will serve as game-changers for the market - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021