Scientists have developed a device that can produce dozens of synthetic human embryo-like parts simultaneously, calling it a tool that could improve the understanding of early human development.
By making such embryo-like structures from human stem cells, we have now available to us reliable experimental platforms to study human development without using human embryos, said Jianping Fu, one of the studys researchers and an associate professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan.
Using devices that can manipulate fluids, the team of researchers were able to build embryo-like structures that resemble the core of an implanting human embryo, according to their article published last week in the journal Nature.
They created models of the amniotic ectoderm (which develops into the membrane that encloses a developing fetus) and the epiblast (which develops into all the cell types found in the human body) from human stem cells.
But the researchers excluded some important cell types from the embryo-like parts such as the trophoblast, which develops into the placenta, Mr. Fu said.
These embryo-like structures will be very powerful for advancing human embryology and reproductive biology. These embryo-like structures will also be useful for drug and toxicity screens to prevent pregnancy failure and birth defects, Mr. Fu said, adding that the team created them in controllable, reproducible and scalable ways.
The researchers made 12 to 15 embryo-like structures simultaneously at a 95% success rate, he said. Mr. Fu estimates that since 2016 the team has produced a few hundred embryo-like parts, keeping them less than four days.
The research has raised some ethical concerns about the idea of synthetic or artificial embryos, and Mr. Fu said he understands why some people might feel uncomfortable with the concept.
We are well aware of the sensitivity of our research, he said.
But he stressed that what he and the team have created are a mass of cells that mimic portions of a developing embryo that cannot develop into a fetus. He said the research team has no intention of creating a synthetic embryo and has no scientific reason to do so.
Josephine Johnston, director of research and research scholar at the Hastings Center, a bioethics research institute, said the teams study could raise the question of whether the embryo-like structures can be manipulated to create a fetus or whether these scientific techniques are bringing society closer to creating embryos from stem cells, which she described as likely implausible but understandable concerns for the public.
Ms. Johnston also questioned if the word embryo is the correct terminology for Mr. Fus teams work if the structures cannot develop in the womb, cautioning about language use to describe scientific models.
She said the stem cell work, along with cloning research and in vitro fertilization, raise similar concerns about the prospect of embryos having no family structure, and growing them inside peoples bodies and the manipulation of human life. Ms. Johnston added that religious concerns also play a role, which is why there is opposition to in vitro fertilization.
Anytime you are modeling human biology, you are only creating a model. So its never quite the same, and it cant necessarily answer all the same questions, she said of Mr. Fus teams study and the growth of cultured cells in a dish. But it is often a really important intermediary step before moving into doing experiments with humans.
The Fu teams work is the first demonstration of a bona fide human embryo-like structure and shows that such structures can be made from pluripotent or induced pluripotent stem cells in vitro, according to Anna-Katerina Hadjantonakis, a developmental biologist for the Sloan Kettering Institute.
Whats important is that this method is very robust and reproducible. Many identical structures can be generated at once, all having similar morphology which approximates to the human embryo, she said. The work opens the door and provides an accessible method for future studies in other laboratories.
Mr. Fu said he and the team are interested in continuing to polish the stem cell in vitro system using fluid-controlling devices to prolong the culture of human embryo-like structures.
He said other scientists have been able to create structures that resemble complete mouse embryos and implant those synthetic embryos into a surrogate. However, there has been no further development of artificial animal embryos beyond early implantation, he said.
Mr. Fu said he and his group created a 3D culture system using human stem cells two years ago. Other scientists have reported building 3D systems using mouse and human stem cells.
Sign up for Daily Newsletters
Follow this link:
Device can produce synthetic human embryo-like parts - Washington Times
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - Cole of Duty - May 25th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic New Report on the Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019-2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic Cell Isolation Technology Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - Jewish Life... - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Expected A Drastic Growth In Stem Cell Banking Market Key Insights Based On Source, Service Type, Application - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: STEM CELL BANKING Market 2020 Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Report - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Slump in Production of Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Amidst Covid-19 Outbreak to Diminish Prospects of Sales - Bulletin... - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Separation Technologies Market to Show Outstanding Growth by 2025 Profiling Global Players Industry... - May 24th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company... - May 24th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Processing Systems Market Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends the COVID-19 - Cole of Duty - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Stem Cell Banking Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with... - May 24th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting In-Depth Cell Separation Market Analysis for 2020 and Beyond - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- HKBU invents nanostructure that stimulates growth of stem cells for Parkinson's disease treatment - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group Announces the Launch of its New Division VITA NOVAS - PR Web - May 22nd, 2020
- Not All Cancer Research Money Is Going Away During COVID University of Chicago Receives $10-million Gift For Cell Therapy - SurvivorNet - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists to study how lungs respond to worm infections - UC Riverside - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growing Demand, Overview and Business Outlook to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market New Investments Expected To Boost The Demand By 2027 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Californians for Stem Cell Research, Treatments & Cures - May 21st, 2020
- UAE Press: In the race to find a COVID-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - WAM EN - May 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Drugs Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- BOOMING NEWS: COVID-19 IMPACT ON Stem Cells Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and... - May 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of... - May 21st, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Growth, Trends and Competitive Landscape | P&S Intelligence - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2019-2023 Cole... - May 21st, 2020
- Warning about stem cell treatments and COVID-19 - 10News - May 20th, 2020
- Research frozen by COVID-19 begins to thaw - The Age - May 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 20th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Tyson, Ronaldo, and more sports stars who use stem cell treatment costing up to 15,000 to speed up healing - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Deals Collection (2010-2020): Access to Headline, Upfront, Milestone and Royalty Data - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2020 Regional Outlook, Latest Trend, Share Analysis, Growth, Application and Forecast to 2027 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Critical window for re-infection with HIV after stem cell transplantation - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Cancer Stem Cell Market Expert Guide to Boost the Industry in Market Share - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 20 - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Cell Isolation Technology Market Growth Opportunity and Industry Revenue Analysis by Major Players, 2019-2026 3w Market... - May 19th, 2020
- 'No silver bullet': Investors cautioned as market surges on vaccine hopes - Sydney Morning Herald - May 19th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Key Players, Outlook and Forecasts Report 2020-2028 - The Billings... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Review Study,Indepth Analysis is Available in Recent Research Report During... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis Focusing on the Key Issues Surrounding the Growth of the Industry and Further Develop Opportunities - Bandera County... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market - Need for Improved Regenerative Medication and Anatomy - BioSpace - May 16th, 2020
- Millions of Mature Human Cells Blood, Eye and Liver Cells Grown In a Mouse Embryo - SciTechDaily - May 16th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID19-Global Mycoplasma Testing Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and ATCC | Technavio... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Qinlock for Patients with Pretreated, Advanced GIST - Curetoday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Forecast Period Between 2020-2026 | Covid-19... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 16th, 2020
- A Method for Assessing the Role of Long Non-protein Coding RNAs - Technology Networks - May 16th, 2020
- One year on, Capricor's stem cell therapy appears to help DMD patients in small study, but investors balk at the data - Endpoints News - May 14th, 2020
- QurAlis Hauls In $42M to Move New ALS Therapies Into Human Testing - Xconomy - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - Express Journal - May 14th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast 2020-2025, Latest Trends and Opportunities - ZZReport - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 14th, 2020
- Proactive and tech-driven approach helps UAE, South Korea's fight against COVID-19 - WAM EN - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 14th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the Competitors |... - May 14th, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market - Insights into how contours of market will change in coming years - BioSpace - May 12th, 2020
- Atara Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Cell & Gene Therapy Expert Maria Grazia Roncarolo, MD to Board of Directors - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- Were All Casualties of Trumps War on Coronavirus Science - The New York Times - May 12th, 2020
- CBG Called the 'Stem Cell' Of Cannabinoids and Could be More Profitable Than CBD - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Updates on FA and LAD-I Gene Therapy Programs at the 23rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene and... - May 12th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010-2020 - stopthefud - May 12th, 2020
- Insights on the Worldwide Cell Expansion Industry to 2027 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - May 5th, 2020
- Change the subject with these 7 UW deep dives - University of Wisconsin-Madison - May 5th, 2020