In experiments in mice, Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers say they have developed a way to successfully transplant certain protective brain cells without the need for lifelong anti-rejection drugs.
A report on the research, published Sept. 16 in the journal Brain, details the new approach, which selectively circumvents the immune response against foreign cells, allowing transplanted cells to survive, thrive and protect brain tissue long after stopping immune-suppressing drugs.
The ability to successfully transplant healthy cells into the brain without the need for conventional anti-rejection drugs could advance the search for therapies that help children born with a rare but devastating class of genetic diseases in which myelin, the protective coating around neurons that helps them send messages, does not form normally. Approximately 1 of every 100,000 children born in the U.S. will have one of these diseases, such as Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease. This disorder is characterized by infants missing developmental milestones such as sitting and walking, having involuntary muscle spasms, and potentially experiencing partial paralysis of the arms and legs, all caused by a genetic mutation in the genes that form myelin.
Because these conditions are initiated by a mutation causing dysfunction in one type of cell, they present a good target for cell therapies, which involve transplanting healthy cells or cells engineered to not have a condition to take over for the diseased, damaged or missing cells, says Piotr Walczak, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of radiology and radiological science at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
A major obstacle to our ability to replace these defective cells is the mammalian immune system. The immune system works by rapidly identifying self or nonself tissues, and mounting attacks to destroy nonself or foreign invaders. While beneficial when targeting bacteria or viruses, it is a major hurdle for transplanted organs, tissue or cells, which are also flagged for destruction. Traditional anti-rejection drugs that broadly and unspecifically tamp down the immune system altogether frequently work to fend off tissue rejection, but leave patients vulnerable to infection and other side effects. Patients need to remain on these drugs indefinitely.
In a bid to stop the immune response without the side effects, the Johns Hopkins Medicine team sought ways to manipulate T cells, the systems elite infection-fighting force that attacks foreign invaders.
Specifically, Walczak and his team focused on the series of so-called costimulatory signals that T cells must encounter in order to begin an attack.
These signals are in place to help ensure these immune system cells do not go rogue, attacking the bodys own healthy tissues, says Gerald Brandacher, M.D., professor of plastic and reconstructive surgery and scientific director of the Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation Research Laboratory at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and co-author of this study.
The idea, he says, was to exploit the natural tendencies of these costimulatory signals as a means of training the immune system to eventually accept transplanted cells as self permanently.
To do that, the investigators used two antibodies, CTLA4-Ig and anti-CD154, which keep T cells from beginning an attack when encountering foreign particles by binding to the T cell surface, essentially blocking the go signal. This combination has previously been used successfully to block rejection of solid organ transplants in animals, but had not yet been tested for cell transplants to repair myelin in the brain, says Walczak.
In a key set of experiments, Walczak and his team injected mouse brains with the protective glial cells that produce the myelin sheath that surrounds neurons. These specific cells were genetically engineered to glow so the researchers could keep tabs on them.
The researchers then transplanted the glial cells into three types of mice: mice genetically engineered to not form the glial cells that create the myelin sheath, normal mice and mice bred to be unable to mount an immune response.
Then the researchers used the antibodies to block an immune response, stopping treatment after six days.
Each day, the researchers used a specialized camera that could detect the glowing cells and capture pictures of the mouse brains, looking for the relative presence or absence of the transplanted glial cells. Cells transplanted into control mice that did not receive the antibody treatment immediately began to die off, and their glow was no longer detected by the camera by day 21.
The mice that received the antibody treatment maintained significant levels of transplanted glial cells for over 203 days, showing they were not killed by the mouses T cells even in the absence of treatment.
The fact that any glow remained showed us that cells had survived transplantation, even long after stopping the treatment, says Shen Li, M.D., lead author of the study. We interpret this result as a success in selectively blocking the immune systems T cells from killing the transplanted cells.
The next step was to see whether the transplanted glial cells survived well enough to do what glial cells normally do in the brain create the myelin sheath. To do this, the researchers looked for key structural differences between mouse brains with thriving glial cells and those without, using MRI images. In the images, the researchers saw that the cells in the treated animals were indeed populating the appropriate parts of the brain.
Their results confirmed that the transplanted cells were able to thrive and assume their normal function of protecting neurons in the brain.
Walczak cautioned that these results are preliminary. They were able to deliver these cells and allow them to thrive in a localized portion of the mouse brain.
In the future, they hope to combine their findings with studies on cell delivery methods to the brain to help repair the brain more globally.
Other researchers involved in this study include Byoung Chol Oh, Chengyan Chu, Antje Arnold, Anna Jablonska, Georg Furtmller, Huamin Qin and Miroslaw Janowski of The Johns Hopkins University; Shen Li of the Dalian Municipal Central Hospital and The Johns Hopkins University; Johannes Boltze of the University of Warwick; and Tim Magnus and Peter Ludewig of the University of Hamburg.
This research was funded by the National Institute on Neurological Disorders and Stroke (R01NS091110, R01NS091100, R01NS102675, 2017-MSCRFD-3942).
- New human-mouse chimera is the most human yet - Livescience.com - May 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| - Jewish Life News - May 30th, 2020
- The Secret Behind Mike Tysons Transformation Will Shock You! - Essentially Sports - May 30th, 2020
- Research at MDI Biological Laboratory explores novel pathways of regeneration and tumorigenesis - Bangor Daily News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Equipment Market Size By Type, Application, Region and Forecasts, 2026| Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics, Shengjie... - May 30th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Market Research on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 and Analysis to 2028 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Size Analysis and Growth (2020-2025) - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market: Analysis of Prevailing Trends In The Parent Market 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Detailed Analysis 2019-2024: Beckman Coulter, Becton, Dickinson and Company, GE Healthcare, Merck KgaA, Miltenyi Biotec and... - May 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact On Global Stem Cell Concentration System Market 2020 Analysis By Top Key Players | EmCyte, Zimmer Biomet, Argos... - May 30th, 2020
- (2020-2026) Biologics Safety Testing Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic New Report on the Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019-2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic Cell Isolation Technology Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - Jewish Life... - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Expected A Drastic Growth In Stem Cell Banking Market Key Insights Based On Source, Service Type, Application - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: STEM CELL BANKING Market 2020 Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Report - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Slump in Production of Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Amidst Covid-19 Outbreak to Diminish Prospects of Sales - Bulletin... - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Separation Technologies Market to Show Outstanding Growth by 2025 Profiling Global Players Industry... - May 24th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company... - May 24th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Processing Systems Market Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends the COVID-19 - Cole of Duty - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Stem Cell Banking Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with... - May 24th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting In-Depth Cell Separation Market Analysis for 2020 and Beyond - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- HKBU invents nanostructure that stimulates growth of stem cells for Parkinson's disease treatment - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group Announces the Launch of its New Division VITA NOVAS - PR Web - May 22nd, 2020
- Not All Cancer Research Money Is Going Away During COVID University of Chicago Receives $10-million Gift For Cell Therapy - SurvivorNet - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists to study how lungs respond to worm infections - UC Riverside - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growing Demand, Overview and Business Outlook to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market New Investments Expected To Boost The Demand By 2027 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Californians for Stem Cell Research, Treatments & Cures - May 21st, 2020
- UAE Press: In the race to find a COVID-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - WAM EN - May 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Drugs Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- BOOMING NEWS: COVID-19 IMPACT ON Stem Cells Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and... - May 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of... - May 21st, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Growth, Trends and Competitive Landscape | P&S Intelligence - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2019-2023 Cole... - May 21st, 2020
- Warning about stem cell treatments and COVID-19 - 10News - May 20th, 2020
- Research frozen by COVID-19 begins to thaw - The Age - May 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 20th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Tyson, Ronaldo, and more sports stars who use stem cell treatment costing up to 15,000 to speed up healing - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Deals Collection (2010-2020): Access to Headline, Upfront, Milestone and Royalty Data - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2020 Regional Outlook, Latest Trend, Share Analysis, Growth, Application and Forecast to 2027 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Critical window for re-infection with HIV after stem cell transplantation - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Cancer Stem Cell Market Expert Guide to Boost the Industry in Market Share - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 20 - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Cell Isolation Technology Market Growth Opportunity and Industry Revenue Analysis by Major Players, 2019-2026 3w Market... - May 19th, 2020
- 'No silver bullet': Investors cautioned as market surges on vaccine hopes - Sydney Morning Herald - May 19th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Key Players, Outlook and Forecasts Report 2020-2028 - The Billings... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Review Study,Indepth Analysis is Available in Recent Research Report During... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis Focusing on the Key Issues Surrounding the Growth of the Industry and Further Develop Opportunities - Bandera County... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market - Need for Improved Regenerative Medication and Anatomy - BioSpace - May 16th, 2020
- Millions of Mature Human Cells Blood, Eye and Liver Cells Grown In a Mouse Embryo - SciTechDaily - May 16th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID19-Global Mycoplasma Testing Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and ATCC | Technavio... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Qinlock for Patients with Pretreated, Advanced GIST - Curetoday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Forecast Period Between 2020-2026 | Covid-19... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 16th, 2020
- A Method for Assessing the Role of Long Non-protein Coding RNAs - Technology Networks - May 16th, 2020
- One year on, Capricor's stem cell therapy appears to help DMD patients in small study, but investors balk at the data - Endpoints News - May 14th, 2020
- QurAlis Hauls In $42M to Move New ALS Therapies Into Human Testing - Xconomy - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - Express Journal - May 14th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast 2020-2025, Latest Trends and Opportunities - ZZReport - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 14th, 2020
- Proactive and tech-driven approach helps UAE, South Korea's fight against COVID-19 - WAM EN - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020