Can some somatic stem cells in our bodies be the source of common cancers? The Department of Health weighs in: So-called cancer stem cells are cancer cells that have stem cell-like properties, i.e., they can self-renew and differentiate into other cell types. They are associated with some, but not all, types of cancers.
Data suggest that recurrence of some cancers is caused by a failure of current therapies to target and kill these cancer stem cells. However, the relationship between cancer stem cells and somatic stem cells is unclear.
Somatic stem cells can become cancerous, but cancer stem cells do not necessarily come from somatic stem cells.
The similarities between somatic stem cells and cancer cells is so close (including the fundamental abilities to self-renew and differentiate) have led many to believe that cancers are caused by transforming mutations that happen in tissue-specific stem cells. One of the reasons this theory has been given some attention is because among all cancer cells within a particular tumor, only a very small cell fraction has the limited potential to regenerate the entire tumor cell population. Thus, these cells with stem-like properties have been termed cancer stem cells. Cancer stem cells can begin from mutation in normal somatic stem cells that stop controlling their physiological programs.
The stem cell theory of cancer proposes that among all cancerous cells, a few act as stem cells that reproduce themselves and sustain the cancer, much like normal stem cells normally renew and sustain our organs and tissues. In this view, cancer cells that are not stem cells can cause problems, but they cannot sustain an attack on our bodies over the long term, Stanford Medical said.
Over the years, there have been many theories about the origins of cancer. Truth be told, we still dont have all the answers on why some cancers come to be. However, one theory that is largely accepted postulates that: the growth of tissues and the reproduction of cells in our bodies are carefully regulated through the action of key sets of DNA instructions. When those DNA sequences are disruptedwhether through viruses, environmental causes like radiation or toxins, mutations transcription errors or inborn genetic flawscell reproduction becomes less well regulated. Eventually, those changes can produce the rapidly reproducing, self-protective and opportunistic cells that typify cancer, Stanford Medicine writes.
According to the American Cancer Society, men have a 39.66 percent chance, or one in three risk, of developing cancer over a lifetime. For women, the odds are slightly lower, at 37.65 percent.
The National Institute of Health states, Data from 2007 suggest that approximately 1.4 million men and women in the U.S. population are likely to be diagnosed with cancer and approximately 566,000 American adults are likely to die from cancer in 2008.
Stem cell transplants are commonly used today to help patients that have had blood-forming stem cells depleted after high doses of chemotherapy and/or radiation. Blood forming stem cells are a vital part of health because they grow and become varying types of blood cells that your body needs such as:
For your body to be healthy, all three blood cell types play a role.
Ideal candidates for stem cell therapy include those that are suffering from pain or dysfunction due to injury or age-related joint issues. If you are you worried that surgery, a lifelong dependency on pain medications, or a departure from your prior functionality are your only options, stem cell therapy may be for you.
Find out if you are a candidate for this revolutionary treatment by scheduling a free consultation with a stem cell therapist near you! If you have questions, or would like to know more about regenerative stem cell therapy, please call us at (877) 808-0016 or click contact us.
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - Azizsalon News - May 14th, 2020
- Somatic Stem Cells - Methods and Protocols | Shree Ram ... - May 13th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Latest Trends and Analysis Future Growth Study by 2029 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 4th, 2020
- Global Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market to Generate Lucrative Revenue Prospects for Manufacturers After the End of COVID-19 Crisis and Forecast... - May 4th, 2020
- Normal human uterus is colonised by clones with cancer-driving mutations that arise early in life, study finds - Cambridge Network - April 24th, 2020
- Global Tooth Regeneration Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 17th, 2020
- Scientists 'Reset' The Age of Stem Cells From a Supercentenarian Who Lived to 114 - ScienceAlert - March 25th, 2020
- Forty Seven and Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announce Research Collaboration for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - March 11th, 2020
- Mapping the structure and biological functions within mesenchymal bodies using microfluidics - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- Researchers ID Protein-Protein Interaction That Promotes Cancer Development - BioSpace - February 28th, 2020
- Dental Regenerative Market Size, Share 2020 Regional Trend, Future Growth, Leading Players Updates, Industry Demand, Current and Future Plans by... - February 28th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross Around USD 6892 Million By 2027 - Global Newspaper 24 - February 17th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future2018 2028 - TechNews.mobi - February 15th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Worth Reach USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 12th, 2020
- New research shows what happens to your lung cells once you quit smoking - Daily Gaming Worlld - February 9th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market to Cross USD 6892 Million By 2027 - TheInfobiz - February 6th, 2020
- Scientists finally find link between stress and grey hair - nation.co.ke - January 31st, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Growing to Reach 6892 Million By 2027 - Market Research News 24 - January 29th, 2020
- Going Gray Too Soon? Scientists Say It Really May Be Due to Stress - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - January 25th, 2020
- Allele and Astellas Enter into an Expanded License for the Development of iPSC Lines - Business Wire - January 20th, 2020
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing - WRAL Tech Wire - January 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market- What Are The Main Factors That Contributing Towards Industry Growth? - Industry Mirror - December 31st, 2019
- What a time to be alive: Reproductive breakthroughs of the 2010s that changed life as we know it - FOX 10 News Phoenix - December 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy Market 2019-2027 / Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Key - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Cell Therapy Industry Applications 2019-Size by Type (Allogenic Therapies), by Technique (Stem Cell Therapy), Global Market Growth by Demand Analysis... - December 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research Likely to Emerge over a Period of 2015-2025 - PharmiWeb.com - December 13th, 2019
- Orgenesis and Theracell to launch point-of-care cell and gene therapy centers in HYGEIA Group"s hospitals - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 6th, 2019
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announces First Patient Treated in Global Registrational Phase 2 Study of RP-L102 Process B for Fanconi Anemia - BioSpace - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Techi Labs - December 6th, 2019
- Brave new world? Why the public might be ready for gene-edited babies - Genetic Literacy Project - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market research to Witness a Healthy Growth during 2015 2025 - Lake Shore Gazette - November 25th, 2019
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Benefit and Volume with Status and Prospect to 2026 - Crypto Journal - November 21st, 2019
- US Nobel laureates tell us what they think about cancer research, moonshots, the dark side, funding, meritocracy, herd mentality, Trump, and joy - The... - November 21st, 2019
- Youngstown State, IBM to offer high-tech training in the Mahoning Valley - Crain's Cleveland Business - November 15th, 2019
- A short guide to regulation for disruptive technologies - Lexology - November 14th, 2019
- Cereal rust could lead to new wheat threat - Farm Weekly - November 14th, 2019
- Tooth Regeneration Industry 2019 Research on Market Sales, Revenue, Top Companies and Future Development - TheFinanceTime - November 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Opportunities and Challenges - MENAFN.COM - November 3rd, 2019
- Cell Therapy Market Forecast to 2025 | Analysis by Regions, Type, Application, and Top Key Players like Dendreon, Mesoblast, Vericel, Antibe... - November 3rd, 2019
- Detection of Latent HSCs Fated to Progress to Blast Phase in Myelofibrosis Patients Several Years Before Blast Transformation - DocWire News - October 25th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy is for animals too - SciTech Europa - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Trends, Revenue, Growth Prospects, Key Companies and Forecast by 2023 - Markets Gazette - October 17th, 2019
- Significant Growth Foreseen by Stem Cell Therapies Market During 2015 2025 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Blast Off With Rocket Pharmaceuticals - Seeking Alpha - September 22nd, 2019
- Zinc Finger Nuclease Technology Market Estimated to Discern 2X Expansion by 2025 - Commerce Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- Tooth Regeneration Market : Huge Growth Opportunity by Trend, Key Players and Forecast 2026 - TodayTimes - September 22nd, 2019
- Direct generation of human naive induced pluripotent stem ... - June 5th, 2019
- Difference Between Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Mosaic (genetics) - Wikipedia - March 8th, 2019
- What is the Difference Between Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells - February 27th, 2019
- Somatic Cells - Definition and Examples | Biology Dictionary - November 14th, 2018
- Stem Cell Quick Reference - Learn.Genetics - September 9th, 2018
- Where Do Stem Cells Come From? - verywellhealth.com - July 2nd, 2018
- What Is Another Name for Somatic Stem Cells and What Do ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Difference Between Somatic Cells and Gametes ... - June 19th, 2018
- Skin graft gene therapy could treat obesity and diabetes - ResearchGate (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Cloning - Wikipedia - December 7th, 2016
- Characterization of Regenerative Phenotype of Unrestricted ... - December 1st, 2016
- Somatic cell nuclear transfer - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2016
- Somatic cell - Wikipedia - November 2nd, 2016
- Embryonic and Somatic Stem Cells, Whats the Difference? - November 2nd, 2016
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - October 21st, 2016
- Somatic stem cells in the human endometrium. - October 7th, 2016
- Glossary | stemcells.nih.gov - September 17th, 2016
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - September 17th, 2016
- Human embryonic stem cells derived by somatic cell nuclear ... - August 3rd, 2015
- Comparative proteomic analysis of human somatic cells ... - July 20th, 2015
- Somatic cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 15th, 2015
- somatic stem cell - Learn Genetics - July 2nd, 2015
- What is the difference between embryonic and somatic stem ... - June 11th, 2015
- Redox Signaling and Stem Cell Function - Dirk Bohmann - June 2nd, 2015
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 1st, 2015
- somatic stem cells - Science Daily - May 24th, 2015
- Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer | Knoepfler Lab Stem Cell Blog - May 20th, 2015
- Adult stem cell - ScienceDaily - May 10th, 2015
- Somatic cell nuclear transfer - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 6th, 2015
- Glossary [Stem Cell Information] - Embryonic stem cell - May 6th, 2015
- Human oocytes reprogram adult somatic nuclei of a type 1 ... - May 6th, 2015