I joined a group of leading figures from around the world in leukaemia research recently as they gathered at the Royal Society to celebrate Professor Sir Mel Greavesoutstanding contributions to the field, and his recent knighthood.
Throughout the day, speakers gave talks on some of the giants of leukaemia research Sidney Farber, John Goldmanand Donald Metcalfto name a few.
Each scientist who spoke emphasised Sir Mels impact on the field and told touching personal stories about how he inspired their own scientific careers.
Professor Mel Greaves was knighted in 2018, for his groundbreaking work to understand the hidden natural historyand causes of childhood leukaemia during a 35-year career at The Institute of Cancer Research, London.
Find out more
Dr Elli Papaemmanuil, who is currently at The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centerin New York, spoke about how fortunate she felt to have crossed paths with Professor Greaves during her time at the ICR. I would not be a scientist if it were not for Mel, she said, with clear enthusiasm for both Mels mentorship and the scientific findings she presented.
Dr Papaemmanuil recalled that on a recent visit to her lab, Mel spent an hour with each of the scientists she supervises, taking the time to work through problems with them and sharing his expertise generously.
Describing her work, she explained the causes of leukaemia, with complex interplay between genetic mutations and chromosomal translocations a change in which large chunks of two chromosomes get swapped over which can cause disease.
She recounted how she emailed Mel one Christmas, excited by her findings and asking for some input, and he politely told her that as it was the holiday season, she should go home and be with her family. This commitment to balancing a scientific career with family was echoed throughout the day, with Mel hailed as a mentor who encouraged a good work-life balance in combination to a devotion to his work.
She finished up by thanking Mel for the phenomenal impact he has had in the field and on individual scientists, and it was clear from the rapturous applause in the room that her words struck a chord with many in attendance.
Running through all of the talks was a thread of scientific dedication from these researchers the word obsession was used by numerous speakers to describe the fervent nature of the devotion these scientists give to the cause of leukaemia.
Why do children get leukaemia? Why does one child of a set of identical twins develop the disease while the other twin an exact genetic copy escape unscathed?
Delving into these questions is what led these international researchers to the top, and their achievements over the last 60 years have been truly remarkable.
Acute lymphocytic leukaemia (ALL) was once 100 per cent lethal, and now has a 90 per cent cure rate. More is understood about the genetics of leukaemia than ever before, and many of the scientists spoke about standing on the shoulders of giants.
Our research into childhood leukaemia has had an enormous impact on the lives of children with cancer all across the world. With your support today, we can make ALL a disease of the past.
Support our appeal
John E Dick, who is based at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centrein Toronto, spoke of a sabbatical he took in Mels lab early on his career, and how working there set him off down a path of scientific questions he had not previously considered.
Thinking about the nature of stem cells he wondered why the fate of some of these cells is to become endlessly proliferating cancer cells, and why some remain healthy.
This led him to discover that while some people have genetic changes which are precursors to leukaemia, they dont go on to develop the disease more changes are necessary to kick off the reactions that cause leukaemia.
He concluded with the strong statement that we cannot divorce stem cell biology from evolution, and thats a legacy Mel has given us all.
Mel began his own talk at the end of the day with a reference to Charles Darwin, who he argued came up with the best idea in science, ever with his theory of evolution by natural selection. Mels enthusiasm for science was palpable by all in the room and is positively infectious.
His lecture, entitled the Li Chong Chan lecture, was named in honour of a former researcher who worked with Mel. Li Chong Chan was a Clinical Fellow and PhD student in Mels laboratory at the ICR (198487).
Mel praised the young PhD students, post-docs, and junior scientists who he emphasised are of equal importance as the prestigious scientists who might have come before them.
He emphasised a point made by many researchers throughout the day: little advancement in science comes from a truly original eureka moment of totally original thought. We are always building on the work of the scientists who came before is.
Professor Greaves then led the audience through some of the highlights of his career, touching on the importance of identical twins in his research and explaining that many cancers arise as a result of a mismatch between modern lifestyles and the way human beings have evolved.
The body has been crafted by the process of evolution to withstand all sorts of stresses, but the modern world presents a unique set of challenges, many of which let cancerous cells flourish and develop into disease.
Throughout September, The Institute of Cancer Research is recognising Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with news stories, videos and blog posts that highlight our latest efforts to improve the lives of children with cancer.
Find out more
One of the most promising avenues of research Professor Greaves feels will make an impact on cancer prevention in future is a set of treatments targeting the microbiome the mix of good bacteria which live in and on the human body, mostly in the gut.
The development of a healthy gut microbiome starts early in life. This microbiome helps protect us against infections, aid in proper digestion, and also helps to prime the immune system, which in turn affects the likelihood of developing leukaemia.
Professor Greaves'excitement about this avenue of research is clear, and hes showing no signs of slowing down his research. Recognising that his ideas are audacious, he said Im an optimist. Unless you couple being audacious with being an optimist, theres no point.
After Mels lecture, the day finished up with some closing remarks from the ICRs Chief Executive Professor Paul Workman, who thanked everyone for attending and summed up the day by saying of Mel, Not only is he a great scientist, hes just a great human being.
- New human-mouse chimera is the most human yet - Livescience.com - May 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026| - Jewish Life News - May 30th, 2020
- The Secret Behind Mike Tysons Transformation Will Shock You! - Essentially Sports - May 30th, 2020
- Research at MDI Biological Laboratory explores novel pathways of regeneration and tumorigenesis - Bangor Daily News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Equipment Market Size By Type, Application, Region and Forecasts, 2026| Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics, Shengjie... - May 30th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Market Research on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 and Analysis to 2028 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Size Analysis and Growth (2020-2025) - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market: Analysis of Prevailing Trends In The Parent Market 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Detailed Analysis 2019-2024: Beckman Coulter, Becton, Dickinson and Company, GE Healthcare, Merck KgaA, Miltenyi Biotec and... - May 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact On Global Stem Cell Concentration System Market 2020 Analysis By Top Key Players | EmCyte, Zimmer Biomet, Argos... - May 30th, 2020
- (2020-2026) Biologics Safety Testing Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts Report - 3rd Watch News - May 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic New Report on the Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019-2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Assessing the Fallout From the Coronavirus Pandemic Cell Isolation Technology Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - Jewish Life... - May 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Size, Analysis, Top Key Vendors, Industry Growth, Opportunity and Forecast by 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 25th, 2020
- Expected A Drastic Growth In Stem Cell Banking Market Key Insights Based On Source, Service Type, Application - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: STEM CELL BANKING Market 2020 Statistics and Research Analysis Released in Latest Report - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Slump in Production of Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Amidst Covid-19 Outbreak to Diminish Prospects of Sales - Bulletin... - May 24th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cell Separation Technologies Market to Show Outstanding Growth by 2025 Profiling Global Players Industry... - May 24th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company... - May 24th, 2020
- Bone Marrow Processing Systems Market Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends the COVID-19 - Cole of Duty - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Stem Cell Banking Market : In-depth Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of the Global Industry with... - May 24th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting In-Depth Cell Separation Market Analysis for 2020 and Beyond - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- HKBU invents nanostructure that stimulates growth of stem cells for Parkinson's disease treatment - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group Announces the Launch of its New Division VITA NOVAS - PR Web - May 22nd, 2020
- Not All Cancer Research Money Is Going Away During COVID University of Chicago Receives $10-million Gift For Cell Therapy - SurvivorNet - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists to study how lungs respond to worm infections - UC Riverside - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growing Demand, Overview and Business Outlook to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market New Investments Expected To Boost The Demand By 2027 - News Distinct - May 22nd, 2020
- Californians for Stem Cell Research, Treatments & Cures - May 21st, 2020
- UAE Press: In the race to find a COVID-19 cure, leaders must not forget other diseases in need of research funds - WAM EN - May 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Drugs Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- BOOMING NEWS: COVID-19 IMPACT ON Stem Cells Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and... - May 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market Competitive Dynamics and Industry Outlook 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 21st, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of... - May 21st, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Growth, Trends and Competitive Landscape | P&S Intelligence - Cole of Duty - May 21st, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2019-2023 Cole... - May 21st, 2020
- Warning about stem cell treatments and COVID-19 - 10News - May 20th, 2020
- Research frozen by COVID-19 begins to thaw - The Age - May 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 20th, 2020
- New Stem Cell-Based Topical Solution Helps Bald People Regrow Hair - SciTechDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Tyson, Ronaldo, and more sports stars who use stem cell treatment costing up to 15,000 to speed up healing - The Sun - May 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Deals Collection (2010-2020): Access to Headline, Upfront, Milestone and Royalty Data - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2020 Regional Outlook, Latest Trend, Share Analysis, Growth, Application and Forecast to 2027 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Critical window for re-infection with HIV after stem cell transplantation - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Cancer Stem Cell Market Expert Guide to Boost the Industry in Market Share - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 -... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 20 - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- How Coronavirus is Impacting Cell Isolation Technology Market Growth Opportunity and Industry Revenue Analysis by Major Players, 2019-2026 3w Market... - May 19th, 2020
- 'No silver bullet': Investors cautioned as market surges on vaccine hopes - Sydney Morning Herald - May 19th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Key Players, Outlook and Forecasts Report 2020-2028 - The Billings... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Review Study,Indepth Analysis is Available in Recent Research Report During... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis Focusing on the Key Issues Surrounding the Growth of the Industry and Further Develop Opportunities - Bandera County... - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market - Need for Improved Regenerative Medication and Anatomy - BioSpace - May 16th, 2020
- Millions of Mature Human Cells Blood, Eye and Liver Cells Grown In a Mouse Embryo - SciTechDaily - May 16th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID19-Global Mycoplasma Testing Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Agilent Technologies Inc. and ATCC | Technavio... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Qinlock for Patients with Pretreated, Advanced GIST - Curetoday.com - May 16th, 2020
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Projected to Experience Major Revenue Boost During the Forecast Period Between 2020-2026 | Covid-19... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 16th, 2020
- A Method for Assessing the Role of Long Non-protein Coding RNAs - Technology Networks - May 16th, 2020
- One year on, Capricor's stem cell therapy appears to help DMD patients in small study, but investors balk at the data - Endpoints News - May 14th, 2020
- QurAlis Hauls In $42M to Move New ALS Therapies Into Human Testing - Xconomy - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Industry Growth Forecast Analysis Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - Express Journal - May 14th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecast 2020-2025, Latest Trends and Opportunities - ZZReport - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 14th, 2020
- Proactive and tech-driven approach helps UAE, South Korea's fight against COVID-19 - WAM EN - May 14th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020