The Whitehead Institute board of directors today announced the selection of Ruth Lehmann, a world-renowned developmental and cell biology researcher, as the institutes fifth director. Lehmann will succeed current Director David Page on July 1, 2020.
Lehmann is now the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Professor of Cell Biology and chair of the Department of Cell Biology at New York University (NYU), where she also directs the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine and The Helen L. and Martin S. Kimmel Center for Stem Cell Biology. She is currently an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. The Whitehead Institute appointment represents a homecoming: Lehmann was a Whitehead Institute member and a faculty member of MIT from 1988 to 1996, before beginning a distinguished 23-year career at NYU.
Ruth Lehmann will continue a line of prestigious and highly accomplished scientist-leaders who have served as Whitehead Institute directors, says Charles D. Ellis, chair of the Whitehead Institute board of directors. She perfectly fits our vision for the next director: an eminent scientist and experienced leader, who is passionately committed to Whitehead Institutes mission, and possesses a compelling vision for basic biomedical research in the coming decade.
I am delighted to return to Whitehead Institute and look forward to joining the illustrious faculty to recruit and mentor the next generation of Whitehead Institute faculty and fellows, Lehmann says. When I was recruited to Whitehead Institute in the late 1980s, David Baltimore took a huge risk in giving an inexperiencedyoung scientist from Germany the chance to follow her passion for science with unending encouragement and minimal restraints. Now I am thrilled to have the opportunity to help shape the future of this wonderful institute that has been at the forefront of biomedical research for decades. I am pleased to become part of the succession of Whitehead Institutes forward-thinking directors, David Baltimore, Gerald Fink, Susan Lindquist, and David Page. I look forward to working with faculty, fellows, trainees, and staff to build a future with ambitious goals that will allow us to reveal the unknown and connect the unexpected in a collaborative, diverse, and flexible environment.
Ruth Lehmann is an inspired choice to lead the institute into the future and I look forward to working with her in that capacity, Page says. Ruth is an internationally renowned and influential leader in the field of germ cell biology, and her outstanding contributions to the field are the product of her sustained brilliance, insatiable curiosity, uncompromising rigor and scholarship, and clarity of thought and expression.Across the course of the past three decades, no scientist anywhere in the world has made greater contributions to our understanding of germ cells and their remarkable biology. Im especially pleased to gain a colleague with such an impressive track record of discovery and institutional leadership.
The new director will have an impressive line of predecessors: Whitehead Institutes founding director was Nobel laureate and former Caltech president David Baltimore; he was succeeded by internationally honored geneticist and science enterprise leader Gerald Fink, and then by National Medal of Science recipient Susan Lindquist, followed by the current director, leading human geneticist David Page, who became director in 2004.
Ruth Lehmann is a brilliant choice as the next director of Whitehead Institute, Baltimore says. She is a world-class scientist and a seasoned leader. Most importantly, she understands the unique nature of Whitehead Institute and will maintain it as a key element of the biomedical complex that has grown up in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Ruth Lehmann is an extraordinary scientist, who began her distinguished career here at Whitehead, Fink says.Her innovative work on germ cells, which give rise to eggs and sperm, has paved the path for the entire field. She is an inspiring leader who is an outspoken advocate for fundamental research.We are all delighted to welcome her back as our new director and scientific colleague.
Lehmann has made seminal discoveries in the field of developmental and cell biology. Germ cells, the cells that give rise to the sperm and egg, carry a precious cargo of genetic information from the parent that they ultimately contribute to the embryo, transmitting the currency of heredity to a new generation. Work in Lehmanns lab using Drosophila (fruit flies) has shed light on how these important cells know to become germ cells, and how they are able to make their way from where they originate to the gonad during early embryonic development. Her discoveries uncovering the mechanisms needed for proper specification and migration of germ cells have not only informed our understanding of processes essential for the perpetuation of life itself, but have also made important contributions to related fields including stem cell biology, lipid biology, and DNA repair.
I'm so pleased to be welcoming Ruth back to the community, MIT Provost Martin A. Schmidt says. Her dedication to, and expertise in, basic research will underscore Whitehead Institute's reputation as a leader in this arena.
Susan Hockfield, MIT president emerita and professor of neuroscience, chaired the committee that recommended Lehmann to the Whitehead Institute board. Our committee considered eminent candidates from across the globe, Hockfield says, and found in Ruth Lehmann a person uniquely qualified to guide this pioneering research institution forward.
Lehmann earned an undergraduate degree and a PhD in biology from the University of Tubingen in Germany, in the laboratory of future Nobel laureate Christiane Nsslein-Volhard. Between those programs, she conducted research at the University of Washington and earned a diploma degree equivalent to a master's degree in biology from the University of Freiburg in Germany. She then conducted postdoctoral research at the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, England. Then, Lehmann moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to become a Whitehead Institute member and MIT faculty member. In 1996, she accepted a professorship at NYU Langone School of Medicine and was subsequently named director of the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine and The Helen L. and Martin S. Kimmel Center for Stem Cell Biology, NYU Stem Cell Biology Graduate Program director, and chair of the NYU Department of Cell Biology in 2014 (all roles that she continues to hold).
She has served as president of the Society for Developmental Biology, the Drosophila Board, and the Harvey Society; is currently editor-in-chief of the Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology; and will serve as president of the American Society for Cell Biology starting in 2021. Additionally, she has been a council member of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
Among her many awards, Lehmann has received the Society for Developmental Biologys Conklin Medal, the Porter Award from the American Society for Cell Biology, and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the German Society for Developmental Biology. She is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a member of the European Molecular Biology Organization.
Lehmann has also been a committed mentor, having fostered the education and professional development of scores of undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. Many of her mentees have gone on to become leaders in the biomedical industry or at academic institutions in the United States and around the world, including Johns Hopkins University, Princeton University, MIT, the University of Cambridge (UK), European Molecular Biology Laboratory (Heidelberg, Germany), and University of Toronto (Canada).
- Asia Pacific Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 27th, 2020
- Europe Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - Covid-19 Impact and Regional Analysis - By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User, and... - November 27th, 2020
- Scaffold Technology Market Research Report by Product, by Application, by End-User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - November 27th, 2020
- The Thorough Analysis Of The Global Stem Cell Media market Research During COVID-19 Health Crisis - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Autism genes affect development of neurons and glia - Spectrum - November 27th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Report 2020-2025: Market Size is Projected to Reach USD 2.8 Billion by 2025 from USD 1.8 Billion in 2020 - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2020
- North America Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ; End User,... - November 27th, 2020
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Computational Stem Cell Biology job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 234737 - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 27th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020 with Manufacturing Process Analysis and Market Concentration Rate till 2026... - November 27th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Global Cell Culture Media Market Effects, Aftermath and Forecast To 2025 - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Accretion: Current and Future Business Analysis in Cell Expansion Market - PharmiWeb.com - November 27th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During (2020-2026) Cheshire Media - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Demand with COVID-19 impact analysis on Cell Expansion Market - The Courier - November 27th, 2020
- Approval of Phase I/II Clinical Trial of ATG-016 (Eltanexor), a Second Generation Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE), in Mainland China for... - November 27th, 2020
- Researchers grow first plant-based gel to help organoid development for biomedical applications - Microbioz India - November 27th, 2020
- California's stem cell research agency looks to the future - Bond Buyer - November 25th, 2020
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 25th, 2020
- Breakthroughs in Stem Cell Based Treatment of Heart Disease - The Connecticut College Voice - November 25th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Cardiologist Awarded $2.9 Million NIH Grant to Advance Work with Stem Cells and Heart Repair after Heart Attack - Cath Lab Digest - November 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - Yahoo Finance UK - November 25th, 2020
- Global Cell Harvesting Market to Reach US$381,4 Million by the Year 2027 - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Cell Therapy Instruments Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product ; Cell Type ; Process ;... - November 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Get Expansion admist COVID 19, Scope With Advanced Technologies Top Key Players and Forecast 2020-2027 - The... - November 25th, 2020
- New study on CRISPR: the stake of unintended consequences in embryos - BioNews - November 25th, 2020
- The Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tools Market to grow incomparably in the next decade - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- New solution to kill coronavirus on common surfaces in seconds - University of California - November 25th, 2020
- Agricultural Equipment Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - re:Jerusalem - November 12th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Move Away From Insipidness, Reach US$ 218.2 Mn - PRnews Leader - November 12th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Ride on Increased Prevalence of Rheumatoid Arthritis - TMR Research Blog - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Analysis 2020 By Industry Top Manufacturers, Business Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, Gross Margin, Regional... - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Industry Analysis and Trends Forecast to 2026 Thermo Fisher, CellGenix, Lonza, STEMCELL Technologies, Corning - The Think... - November 12th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - The Daily Philadelphian - November 12th, 2020
- Global Live Cell Imaging Markets, 2020-2025 - Growing Adoption of High-Content Screening Techniques in Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance UK - November 12th, 2020
- GLOBAL STEM CELL MARKET FORECAST 2021-2028 - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Is Expected to Generate Revenue of US$ 11.3 billion by 2030, Globally - GlobeNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to 2025: Business Development Strategies and Top Manufacturers Analysis : Anterogen Co., Ltd. (South Korea), MEDIPOST... - November 12th, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Recent Business Highlights - BioSpace - November 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Size Analysis: Growth Factors, Share by Regional Production, Revenue and Regional Trends with Key... - November 12th, 2020
- Forma Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Galveston County Daily News - November 12th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2027 - BCFocus - November 12th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2020
- CODA Biotherapeutics Receives Grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) of the National Institutes of Health... - November 12th, 2020
- Brain Development and Disorder Research Receives $1.5 Million NSF Boost - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 7th, 2020
- Many Initiatives Still Too Close to Call in California - Courthouse News Service - November 7th, 2020
- Election 2020: Californias ballot initiative system isnt working. - Vox.com - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Outlooks 2020: Size, Cost Structures, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2027 - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Biologics Safety Testing Market Research Report by Test Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance... - November 5th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2027 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market Research and Analysis by Expert: import/export details, Cost Structures and statistics till 2027 - KYT24 - November 5th, 2020
- MorphoSys to Present Data on Tafasitamab at the ASH Virtual Annual Meeting and Exposition - PharmiWeb.com - November 5th, 2020
- The Many Model Systems of COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 5th, 2020
- Soybean Trypsin Inhibitor Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 | Biological Industries, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sigma-Aldrich... - November 5th, 2020
- Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Madison.com - November 3rd, 2020
- A Review of Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson Disease - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 3rd, 2020
- 10 health and science-focused races to watch on election night - STAT - November 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020, Global Research Analysis Report Growth at CAGR Value, Industry Share, Key Company Profiles, Type, Applications,... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Exceed Revenues Worth US$ By The End Of 2020 2027 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Research Report 2020 By Segmentations, Key Company Profiles and Demand Forecasts to 2026 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market : By Component, by Application, by Component Mode, and By Region Global Forecast up to 2026 -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Plant Stem Cell For Cosmetics Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 3rd, 2020
- 2020 Election Tracker: All The State Ballot Healthcare Initiatives - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Disorders Treatment Market: Advancements in Gene-therapy and Stem-cell Therapy to Bolster Market Growth - BioSpace - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Insights and Development Trends from 2020-2027 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 3rd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Shows Expected Trend to Guide from 2020-2026 with Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Survival Benefit of GVHD in MDS Is Limited to Specific Patient Subgroup - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Reviews Recent Portfolio Progress and Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Meat-Tech 3D Ltd. Announces Successful $7 Million Funding Round led by Psagot Provident Funds and other leading institutional investors - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size 2020 Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview, Market Share, Revenue, and... - November 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay 2020 GLOBAL OUTLOOK, RESEARCH, TRENDS AND FORECAST TO 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 3rd, 2020
- Cell Isolation Market report delivering growth analysis with key trends top companies and forecast 2027 - KYT24 - November 3rd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market 2020 By Business Opportunity, Innovations, Applications, Upcoming-Trends, Growth-Analysis, Demand-Insight, Segmentation,... - November 3rd, 2020